• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeeP

Does anyone here have experience with refurbished iPads?

I'm looking at a refurbished Mini 2. Would that still run iOS without being super laggy for the foreseeable future?

Best to just wait. I have a Mini 4 and even on iOS 9 it lags sometimes. If you can maybe look at a refurbished 2017 "iPad", or wait until next year that's even cheaper.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Update to iOS 10 then go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Home Button > turn on "Rest Finger to Open"

Problem solved, you don't need to press the home button as well to unlock.. Seems like a really petty reason to miss out on the news stuff in iOS 10 just because of that 1 second.
Yep, this. I hated the change at first too, but this fixed my issue with it. Now I can't ever imagine having to waste my time with slide to unlock again.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
There's no code at all...? Where are you seeing stuff like that?

No coding whatsoever. Read this for an intro (Don't be overwhelmed by the length. It's just thorough): http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/building-a-smart-home-with-apples-homekit/

I have only read tutorials with people connection Hue Stuff with their Android phones. It can be that they used some Homeserver customisation stuff, but it always looked super complicated.

You only need to press the home button once (rest your finger in it for TouchID authentication) to unlock with iOS10/11.
To be honest, I am always a bit worried that this may lead to a more worren out Homebutton and my conspiracy theory is that apple factored this in to get more money from Apple Store repairment.

Mafro

To be honest, I am always a bit worried that this may lead to a more worren out Homebutton and my conspiracy theory is that apple factored this in to get more money from Apple Store repairment.
Quoting myself again
Update to iOS 10 then go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Home Button > turn on "Rest Finger to Open"

Problem solved, you don't need to press the home button as well to unlock.. Seems like a really petty reason to miss out on the news stuff in iOS 10 just because of that 1 second.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Nah. I dont always want to unlock my iPhone when I rest my finger there. Its fine the way it works, but I still prefer the old style

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
iPhones from the 7 on will have non-moving home buttons so that won't be an issue. I'm sure by the time the button wears out on your 6 and below, it'll be time to upgrade anyway.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, you only have to rest your finger, not click, so it won't be wearing anything out.

Don’t really see how pressing it to unlock is going to be that much of a burden when you’re likely using it 10x as much during the actual usage of the phone

mrkgoo

Yep, this. I hated the change at first too, but this fixed my issue with it. Now I can't ever imagine having to waste my time with slide to unlock again.

Sometimes I feel like the complaints about Apple removing the slide to u lock the biggest hullabaloo about nothing.

So many people I knew didn't want to upgrade to iOS 10 because of it, and it's such a non issue. My mother got used to it, other people should be able to.

And they did.

It’s easier to press a stationary button one time than swipe across the screen in a certain direction. Hell there shouldn’t be any difference because with TouchID you don’t have to swipe anyway

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Don’t really see how pressing it to unlock is going to be that much of a burden when you’re likely using it 10x as much during the actual usage of the phone
Its not a burden, I just think the old swipe was easier to pull off.
And I am aware that i am making a conspiracy theory up for myself with the repairment.

emag

It does suck for non-TouchID devices and iPads in particular. But the vast majority of devices that can run iOS11 are phones (with TouchID) and the convenience of the many outweighs that of the few.

Minamu

This is the unofficial Apple products thread, yeah?

My Iphone 5 has started acting up (again). I recently got a new battery for it, but it got overheated while I did a charge+phone call at the same time, so the screen has some fairly large yellow dots on it, probably due to the battery swelling from the heat. Lately, it's been acting up with the power percentages, going up and down seemingly at random. If only it was true; I actually received %'s by using the phone :lol

Last week when I went abroad, switching telecom companies multiple times, an old Messenger message got stuck as unread and kept popping up as soon as anyone else wrote something to me. I tried rebooting the phone and uninstalled Messenger but it didn't help. After these reboots, the phone has started rebooting itself on its own very regularly. At first it wasn't that bad, after a handful of reboots it would stop and behave normally again.

But today, after doing a picture backup on my pc, I did a factory reset, and cleansed the phone completely, in an attempt to fix the battery icon. But now the phone is stuck in a basically endless reboot loop :/ I can barely reach the icloud-backup downloader before the phone dies, even with the charger connected! I eventually went with a fresh install, lost all my numbers, great! But now the phone is practically useless as almost any action causes a reboot out of nowhere, and sometimes the screen goes all "colory" with tons of vertical lines across it before it dies again. I have an IOS update waiting to be installed/downloaded but I can't get that far in the process :/

What can I do? It's obviously out of warranty and I've done countless hard resets and the factory reset only made it worse. Maybe another factory reset could help? Would a restoration via iTunes make any difference? I'm thinking of going back to the battery installer shop and complain, but I don't have any records of them working on the phone so I don't know how much it'll help. And it'll probably be really expensive to fix it too. But that new iphone 8 is still a fairly long ways off :/

mrkgoo

It does suck for non-TouchID devices and iPads in particular. But the vast majority of devices that can run iOS11 are phones (with TouchID) and the convenience of the many outweighs that of the few.

I have an iphone5, no touch ID, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. It took a few days to get used to sure.

emag

What can I do? It's obviously out of warranty and I've done countless hard resets and the factory reset only made it worse. Maybe another factory reset could help? Would a restoration via iTunes make any difference? I'm thinking of going back to the battery installer shop and complain, but I don't have any records of them working on the phone so I don't know how much it'll help. And it'll probably be really expensive to fix it too. But that new iphone 8 is still a fairly long ways off :/

You can get a refurb 5s (which is at least twice as fast as your 5 and has a host of other improvements and should last a year) for under $100 or an SE (which has a few years left of full support) for under $300.

Minamu

You can get a refurb 5s (which is at least twice as fast as your 5 and has a host of other improvements and should last a year) for under $100 or an SE (which has a few years left of full support) for under $300.
Good idea, will probably be cheaper than the repairs.

RedAssedApe

Banned
what's the fix if your device has stopped auto-updating apps? both my iphone 5s and ipad mini 4 no longer auto-download/install apps anymore. I always have to open the app store and hit update all to actually start downloading/installing them.

my app store settings have automatic downloads for updates turned on. tried logging in and out of my account and toggling updates off/on. still no go. not sure when this started happening but its probably been awhile now...

Mafro

what's the fix if your device has stopped auto-updating apps? both my iphone 5s and ipad mini 4 no longer auto-download/install apps anymore. I always have to open the app store and hit update all to actually start downloading/installing them.

my app store settings have automatic downloads for updates turned on. tried logging in and out of my account and toggling updates off/on. still no go. not sure when this started happening but its probably been awhile now...
This happens to me sometimes and the only agreed fix seems to be logging out, restarting the device and then logging in again. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

AdanVC

You only need to press the home button once (rest your finger in it for TouchID authentication) to unlock with iOS10/11.

The new way is so much better. As long as you have Touch ID. And on iOS 11, I really love the unified lock screen/notification center which they call the "Cover Sheet" now.

On the 7, it's literally instant. Not even a quarter of a second. Sliding to unlock actually takes longer than Touch ID on the 7. In fact, I rarely ever see the lock screen because it wakes up and disappears instantly as soon as I rest my finger. Which is another reason the unified "Cover Sheet" is brilliant. Most people from now on will rarely ever see the lock screen. So being able to get right back to it with a pull down swipe is nice. (In iOS 11 of course.)

Thanks for your replies guys! This settles it then, will upgrade to iOS 10 later today. Good bye slide to unlock... you were so loyal to me since I got my first iPod Touch :'( I will miss you lol

My mom was telling me she was messing around with camera settings and a lot of her pictures are gone now and her live photos don't work. Is there any way to recover them? They aren't in the "recently deleted" album. It's about 300 pictures.

Camera settings? Did she turn off photo stream or something? Or iCloud Photo Library?

Well she said she was trying to deposit a check with her phone and it was saying that the "camera wasn't available." She tried to reset her phone, but those photos didn't show up. I'm having her check those settings right now to see if that's the cause.

SuperPac

Well she said she was trying to deposit a check with her phone and it was saying that the "camera wasn't available." She tried to reset her phone, but those photos didn't show up. I'm having her check those settings right now to see if that's the cause.

Wonder if she said "no" to allowing the camera in her banking app - or she somehow turned camera access off in it? The app can't bring the permission dialog up again, so it may have given a "camera isn't available" message instead.

Minamu

I'll quote this again, because for some reason, knock on wood deluxe, the phone has managed to download the latest version of ios without my knowledge, and the phone didn't reboot during the installation! It's been fine since, so far, but I don't dare reboot in manually :lol

hirokazu

You mean reset as in restart the phone, or erase all data on the phone? Big difference, LOL.

Minamu

Apparently there's something wrong with my iCloud backup. The phone works fine* as long as I don't download my latest backup. I tried redownloading it yesterday and the same issues with the reboots started happening instantly so I had to delete it once more.

* The issue continued for a few minutes after the cleanse but have since stopped. Safari has retained all previous bookmarks though, even though I did a complete wipe, weird, but who am I to complain?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
iCLOUD HELP PLEASE:

Problem - my phone keeps telling me I have run out of space on iCloud for backup.

I've tried everything but can't seem to find a way to delete the 5.7gigs of storage it says are being used. Documents and Data are literally just a few k. The image below is from the app - showing that I am not in fact using 5.7 gigs of anything.

bQnxt5x.jpg

Am I missing something obvious? A quick google search showed lots of people with the problem but few answers.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
iCLOUD HELP PLEASE:

Problem - my phone keeps telling me I have run out of space on iCloud for backup.

I've tried everything but can't seem to find a way to delete the 5.7gigs of storage it says are being used. Documents and Data are literally just a few k. The image below is from the app - showing that I am not in fact using 5.7 gigs of anything.

bQnxt5x.jpg

Am I missing something obvious? A quick google search showed lots of people with the problem but few answers.

Are you backing up photos as well?

EDIT: Ah never mind. If you did it'd show up in that list there. I just downloaded iCloud for Windows to check myself.

iCLOUD HELP PLEASE:

bQnxt5x.jpg

On the phone itself, what does it say is taking up all the space? There should be a bar under settings->your name at the top->iCloud

Stinkles

On the phone itself, what does it say is taking up all the space? There should be a bar under settings->your name at the top->iCloud

"docs" - which seems unlikely anyway, and I've deleted everything that's deletable. And if I select "manage storage" from there, it then shows that docs and data take up 146k.

Vuze

"docs" - which seems unlikely anyway, and I've deleted everything that's deletable. And if I select "manage storage" from there, it then shows that docs and data take up 146k.
How many devices have you backed up to iCloud? My iPad an iPhone backup adds up to 5,8GB which is remarkably close to your 5,7GB figure. That’s without photos and apps of course, just the device data.

mrkgoo

iCLOUD HELP PLEASE:

bQnxt5x.jpg

A few years back I had some mysterious thing take up my iCloud storage. took a few days of back and forth with an Apple engineer to sort out. Maybe give Apple a call.

Stinkles

A few years back I had some mysterious thing take up my iCloud storage. took a few days of back and forth with an Apple engineer to sort out. Maybe give Apple a call.

Two, but I "emptied" them during this process.

How many devices have you backed up to iCloud? My iPad an iPhone backup adds up to 5,8GB which is remarkably close to your 5,7GB figure. That's without photos and apps of course, just the device data.

Yep. I guess that's the next step.

Xun

I haven't updated to 10.3.3 yet (I'm going to soon), but the message to update keeps flashing on (before disappearing) whenever I go to the Control Centre/Widgets.

Anyone else get this? It's only just started happening today...

pixellated logo
unnecessary capitalization of the word "is" in the first sentence
bad grammar in the second sentence
unnecessary hyphen in "log-in"
bad grammar in the third sentence
"identity" unnecessarily capitalized in the third sentence
new line between "to" and "concerns" for no reason

Agent_J

Does anyone else have an issue where the YouTube app is not turning the time stamps into links like it should be doing? I upgraded to an iPhone 7+ a few months ago and it's been bothering me that something I used often on my iPhone 5S no longer works. Is it a YouTube issue or a phone issue or a software issue? I've googled and found no answers.

Those time stamps should be blue and have the ability to link me directly to the correct time. They no longer function correctly.

Vuze

Does anyone else have an issue where the YouTube app is not turning the time stamps into links like it should be doing? I upgraded to an iPhone 7+ a few months ago and it's been bothering me that something I used often on my iPhone 5S no longer works. Is it a YouTube issue or a phone issue or a software issue? I've googled and found no answers.

Those time stamps should be blue and have the ability to link me directly to the correct time. They no longer function correctly.
They aren't clickable on my 5S (latest stable iOS 10) either, must be on YT's end. They seem to have found some kind of satisfaction in breaking or removing features in their apps recently lol

mrkgoo

If this is a serious question, you need your Internet rights revoked.

Of course It serious, It come from contact@apple.com, you need to tap links straight away to re-enable your Identity.

Seriously, it's not legit.

That string of letters under the email is probably the real email address.

It's not apple's typical format.

The grammar is not good (though better than most lol).

It states your Apple ID is disabled but then later says it will be if you don't check. It's inconsistent.

It's generic as all hell. "Other IP"?

Any official email would more explicitly state "...used to sign in from a device/location previously not used." Or some such. Stuff like "log-in" and "IP" are jargon they probably wouldn't use.

They also tend to refer to you by first name. Any email that refers to you via your email address probably doesn't know your first name and should be one red flag.

I get how this stuff fools people though.

In any event, never click links in emails. Even if it is legit, you usually should just go to the website itself. Apple typically direct you their main Apple ID sign in page, so you should go through Apple.com yourself.

If your account is locked, you also wouldn't be able to access device details for iCloud in your settings app so you can check there before even going to a website.

mrkgoo

Can people not tell immediately from the poor grammar or is their own attention to detail also that poor?

I think you know the answer to that.

I would tend to say the general level of attention to detail would have stuff like that get missed.

It's funny though, right? Because Apple do send out emails to notify unexpected sign ins. You'd think the fishers would atleast copy that exactly.

I've seen some that are close, like near identical.

But then, I guess you don't need to be anywhere near close, you probably want to actually phish more gullible people, aim for the low-hanging fruit so as to not get swamped and/or noticed. I dunno.

Erebus

Lmao, I think you people should calm down a bit. I was in the car, panicked and thought I'd rather be sure before doing anything; by the time I posted it here I had already noticed the suspicious address behind the "contact@apple.com" handler.

So yeah no one's gullible or naive, it just tripped me because somehow it went past outlook's filters and got into the Focused Inbox.

I know plenty of elderly or younger but not tech-savvy people who could easily fall for it, so I don't know maybe try not to be so judgmental and rude the next time?

mrkgoo

Lmao, I think you people should calm down a bit. I was in the car, panicked and thought I'd rather be sure before doing anything; by the time I posted it here I had already noticed the suspicious address behind the "contact@apple.com" handler.

So yeah no one's gullible or naive, it just tripped me because somehow it went past outlook's filters and got into the Focused Inbox.

I know plenty of elderly or younger but not tech-savvy people who could easily fall for it, so I don't know maybe try not to be so judgmental and rude the next time?

I wasn't being judgemental.

It can happen to anyone, even those who are usually aware, like if you get it at just the right time (you're particularly tired, distracted etc), and the email is 90% there.... your autopilot may even get you to click on a link.

I generally make it a habit to NEVER click links in emails, even when legit! I disable tap to touch (I always end up clicking things when I don't mean to with that on).

But yeah, I've been getting a lot of phishing spam recently towards my apple ID. some of it is actually pretty close to looking legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom