• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vuze

10.3.3 is out fyi. It roasted my 5S for good during the update process, I can’t recall the last time it was that hot lol. Curious as to why they released 6 betas for this tiny update. Perhaps fixed some major critical bugs.

10.3.3 is out fyi. It roasted my 5S for good during the update process, I can’t recall the last time it was that hot lol. Curious as to why they released 6 betas for this tiny update. Perhaps fixed some major critical bugs.

Because it’s the last update a lot of devices will get. For anything not 64-bit (pre-5S, pre-iPad Air) this is the end of the road

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The only thing that would make me happy is if this update gave iOS 10 the iCloud Messages Syncing feature just so I could get all my messages off my 5C onto my 7+ since I set it up as new when I bought it. (And my Messages are the only thing I would have wanted to bring over.)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Its me and my lovely iPhone battery again - I start up Battery Life every once in a while now since I got my new battery and sometimes the values for the maximal capicity vary - Sometimes I get a 97% battery remaining screen and later it switches back to 100%

Is 3% of the maximal capicity normal for 4 months of iPhone use? There are days where I charge the phone up to two times a day.

Right now its again at 97%, but maybe its switches back to 100% - I guess this is just a inaccurance, that can occure?

Edit: Back to 100%

Vuze

Right now its again at 97%, but maybe its switches back to 100% - I guess this is just a inaccurance, that can occure?

I wouldn't stress about these readings at all, can't escape battery wear anyway. My 4 y.o. phone is sitting at about 80% max capacity and I just throw it on my charger whenever I feel like it.

6HrDmOC.png

Considering buying Adblock by futuremind if it really is that good and will probably removed soon.
Honestly, buying a Raspberry Pi and installing OpenVPN + PiHole on it would be a so much better solution and investment. You can use it to block ads on practically all devices and benefit from using your home connection on public Wifi etc - and also be assured that no pesky VPN provider is spying on you or selling your meta data.

Well worth the 3 to 4 hours I spent setting this up. Been running flawless for months now.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I asked this in the SE thread, but this gets more action so maybe I'll post it here too. Anyone had Gmail start draining their phone's battery a lot? Every night I lose about 50%. It happened suddenly, nothing about the phone or Gmail or my usage of it has changed. :/

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I wouldn't stress about these readings at all, can't escape battery wear anyway. My 4 y.o. phone is sitting at about 80% max capacity and I just throw it on my charger whenever I feel like it.
I know, I making myself to nervous, I should just delete the app, but its neat to have the statistics:/

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My daughter ran out of data halfway through the month even though I've turned practically everything off. She has a 1GB plan. If I look through mobile data, 'system services' used 512MB over the month, most of which was 'documents and data'. Any idea what that is? I have icloud drive turned off for mobile. I did have background app refresh which might be the culprit - turned it off now. Seems dumb that doesn't have a specific mobile data toggle.

Vuze

My daughter ran out of data halfway through the month even though I've turned practically everything off. She has a 1GB plan. If I look through mobile data, 'system services' used 512MB over the month, most of which was 'documents and data'. Any idea what that is? I have icloud drive turned off for mobile. I did have background app refresh which might be the culprit - turned it off now. Seems dumb that doesn't have a specific mobile data toggle.
Documents and data is the term used for app data if I’m not mistaken. Perhaps she downloaded some in-game updates or something? A lot of larger games do that due to AppStore size limit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Documents and data is the term used for app data if I’m not mistaken. Perhaps she downloaded some in-game updates or something? A lot of larger games do that due to AppStore size limit.

if I have the app disabled for mobile data, that shoudl block it though? Almost everything except safari, mail, messaging etc is turned off and is wifi only

killroy87

Does anyone here use Google Play Music on your iPhone?

I'm thinking of switching back from a Pixel to iPhone, but I've become really fond of Google Play Music as a service, and I was curious how the app performed on iPhones.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

I'm thinking of switching back from a Pixel to iPhone, but I've become really fond of Google Play Music as a service, and I was curious how the app performed on iPhones.
I use their free option as a cloud vault for my collection in place of what iTunes Match used to offer me. I haven't used the subscription.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

I use it, works well. I have never used it on Android so I can't compare it though

killroy87

What are the bets on a refreshed iPhone SE coming this year?

I see some rumors saying it could happen, and some saying it's super unlikely with all the handsets they'll be introducing this year. Obviously neither side knows for sure.

It's the iPhone I definitely want to get, and I'm not in a major rush so I'll wait and see, just curious as to what people think will happen.

What are the bets on a refreshed iPhone SE coming this year?

I see some rumors saying it could happen, and some saying it's super unlikely with all the handsets they'll be introducing this year. Obviously neither side knows for sure.

It's the iPhone I definitely want to get, and I'm not in a major rush so I'll wait and see, just curious as to what people think will happen.

If you’re not in a rush I would just wait till September and see what happens. If it’s a no-show, I’d say you’re good to get it

killroy87

If you’re not in a rush I would just wait till September and see what happens. If it’s a no-show, I’d say you’re good to get it

My worst fear is them discontinuing the thing altogether, haha. My plan is to wait for them to announce a date for the reveal, and then buy an SE the day before. If they announce something better, I'll just return it. If not, I'm good to go.

My worst fear is them discontinuing the thing altogether, haha. My plan is to wait for them to announce a date for the reveal, and then buy an SE the day before. If they announce something better, I'll just return it. If not, I'm good to go.

I doubt they will. It’s a surprisingly popular phone, and I think they like finally having something at that price point

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Personally I have a suspicion Apple doesn't want to maintain four phone form factors and will cut the SE line.

Leaving
- iPhone 7 form factor
- iPhone 7 Plus form factor
- iPhone 2018 (size of a 7 but with bigger display)

But who knows, maybe the 2018 edition will replace the Plus form factor.

EmiPrime

Anyone know what causes iOS to stop downloading anything? My apps won't update and my podcasts won't download. This happens a lot to me and usually changing the language of my phone unblocks it (why I have no idea) but not this time. Doesn't matter if I am on wifi or cellular. I have 55GB free so it's not storage related either.

killroy87

Personally I have a suspicion Apple doesn't want to maintain four phone form factors and will cut the SE line.

Leaving
- iPhone 7 form factor

Yup, that's my fear, haha. Will wait and see though.

Leaving
- iPhone 7 form factor

I don't know. I could easily see them going just SE and iPhone 8 form factor. Or SE, iPhone 8, and 7 Plus size but with an edge to edge display to compete against the Note.

Red

Are there any alarm or reminder apps that let you link alarms, so that for example you could have a reminder to clean a filter set to repeat one week from the completion date, and then tie it to an alarm to change the filter every fourth occurrence?

Are there any alarm or reminder apps that let you link alarms, so that for example you could have a reminder to clean a filter set to repeat one week from the completion date, and then tie it to an alarm to change the filter every fourth occurrence?

I know Things 3 lets you set up recurring reminders based on both time/completion date. Also has alarms for said reminders. I don’t think it can trigger in quite that way, but you can set up one reminder to repeat weekly after completion and one set up to repeat monthly with an alarm attached to it

So I'm someone who uses my @icloud email address as my personal email address, because I got sick of gmail a couple years ago. I've been 99% happy with it, but the thing that always bugged me the most was that reading an email didn't send a notification to your other devices that it's no longer unread, so the badge doesn't update until you actually open the app. Super annoying.

Well I just downloaded EasilyDo (I think it's being renamed or something) and not only is the interface super clean, but it actually updates the badge icon when I do something on another device

Definitely sold, will continue to use.

Edit: and even without a Watch app there are controls from the notification itself, and the option to "mark as read" actually does what it says it does. Goodbye forever, mail.app!

Red

I know Things 3 lets you set up recurring reminders based on both time/completion date. Also has alarms for said reminders. I don’t think it can trigger in quite that way, but you can set up one reminder to repeat weekly after completion and one set up to repeat monthly with an alarm attached to it
I use Alarmed, which also has those functions. But setting two separate alarms leads to situations where I complete a reminder early or late and then the accompanying reminder is out of sync. I haven't found an app that does what I want, but surely there must be one.

hirokazu

I don't know. I could easily see them going just SE and iPhone 8 form factor. Or SE, iPhone 8, and 7 Plus size but with an edge to edge display to compete against the Note.

Yeah, I think the 7s is a stopgap because they expect the 8 to be a high price and limited in production capacity. Once they can get the price down and make enough units, the current 4.7" and 5.5" sizes are likely to be phased out. Or a refresh on the SE will be 4.7".

Maybe there'll be a Plus size version of the 8 form factor in the future.

Vuze

What are you guys using to cast plain mp4 etc you find on websites to chromecast? There are a bunch of dodgy looking apps on the store and google wasn’t particularly helpful. Or is this another one of those “it’s against AppStore TOS” situations?
I’ve found aircast which is cool (it acts as an airplay to chromecast bridge and runs on your Raspberry Pi) but only for audio 😞

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Its me and my lovely iPhone battery again - I start up Battery Life every once in a while now since I got my new battery and sometimes the values for the maximal capicity vary - Sometimes I get a 97% battery remaining screen and later it switches back to 100%

Is 3% of the maximal capicity normal for 4 months of iPhone use? There are days where I charge the phone up to two times a day.

So, since its now to 97% at the standard value and now switches down to 86% of the original capacity... this cant be right? The values have to be wrong?

Zutroy

I've switch from two-step verification to two-factor and it's using my MacBook as the verification device. Anyone know how to change that to my iPhone instead? I can't seem to find the setting anywhere.

I've switch from two-step verification to two-factor and it's using my MacBook as the verification device. Anyone know how to change that to my iPhone instead? I can't seem to find the setting anywhere.

“Trusted devices
A trusted device is an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch with iOS 9 and later, or Mac with OS X El Capitan and later that you've already signed in to using two-factor authentication. It’s a device we know is yours and that can be used to verify your identity by displaying a verification code from Apple when you sign in on a different device or browser.”

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915

Looks like it should happen automatically

Number45

Yeah, I think for me it always asks on the device I'm currently using. I guess the question is what device it uses when you're not currently on any of your devices - perhaps the last one used in that case?

Yeah, I think for me it always asks on the device I'm currently using. I guess the question is what device it uses when you're not currently on any of your devices - perhaps the last one used in that case?

Mine goes to all of my stuff simultaneously. Phone, iPad, Mac, they all ding

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So with the transition to iOS 11 I was planning on getting an iPad mini 4 to keep just the 32 bit only apps I still have (mainly games).

However, it seems I can't save these apps locally anymore to iTunes, or at least I can't figure out how. It's been years since I've used iTunes so I haven't kept up.

What would I need to do to keep/move these apps to another device?
Especially those that aren't on the App Store anymore.

Vuze

So with the transition to iOS 11 I was planning on getting an iPad mini 4 to keep just the 32 bit only apps I still have (mainly games).

However, it seems I can't save these apps locally anymore to iTunes, or at least I can't figure out how. It's been years since I've used iTunes so I haven't kept up.

I've recently come across this app and it seems to be a very capable backup solution that includes actual app installs. Might give it a shot. https://imazing.com/

I was thinking about buying it when I switch phones later this year because I don't trust iTunes tbh and I don't like relying on a cloud-only backup. Restoring would also be a lot faster since you don't have to redownload everything (afaik iTunes backups don't include apps anymore)

Guess Who

Banned

Basically, since Apple start doing "app thinning" a few years ago, the entire app is no longer actually stored on your phone. Only the slices of the app that your particular device needs gets downloaded (so, for instance, an iPhone 6S won't download 32-bit binaries if there's a 64-bit binary and it won't download 3x or iPad assets for the app since it only needs 2x iPhone assets). Therefore, iTunes won't transfer the app packages into your iTunes library anymore since they'd be incomplete.

Best bet is to download the apps in iTunes directly. Even most apps that have been delisted from the store should be redownloadable in your purchase history.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I've recently come across this app and it seems to be a very capable backup solution that includes actual app installs. Might give it a shot. https://imazing.com/

I was thinking about buying it when I switch phones later this year because I don't trust iTunes tbh and I don't like relying on a cloud-only backup.

You know, I used to use this app years ago when it was called DiskAid.
I think this would work just fine.

Oooh, and I get a discount after putting in my old email associated from DiskAid.

Basically, since Apple start doing "app thinning" a few years ago, the entire app is no longer actually stored on your phone. Only the slices of the app that your particular device needs gets downloaded (so, for instance, an iPhone 6S won't download 32-bit binaries if there's a 64-bit binary and it won't download 3x or iPad assets for the app since it only needs 2x iPhone assets). Therefore, iTunes won't transfer the app packages into your iTunes library anymore since they'd be incomplete.

Best bet is to download the apps in iTunes directly. Even most apps that have been delisted from the store should be redownloadable in your purchase history.

I remember hearing about that, that's right.
Appreciate the info.

I'll see if some of these older delisted ones are in my history. I think a few were removed due to copyright issues and may not be there.
Either way, I think the app above will help more as some have data I'd like to save along with them.

Vuze

You know, I used to use this app years ago when it was called DiskAid.
I think this would work just fine.

Oooh, and I get a discount after putting in my old email associated from DiskAid.
That's cool, let me know if you're happy with it. I might pick up the two licenses thing with education discount.

The app thinning sounds as if it would break transfering between different devices but they advertise just that on their frontpage so not sure.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
That's cool, let me know if you're happy with it. I might pick up the two licenses thing with education discount.

The app thinning sounds as if it would break transfering between different devices but they advertise just that on their frontpage so not sure.

Yeah, that is kind of weird.
I'm going to be moving everything to an iPad so it should work still. But going the other way around... who knows.

Just backed up Dead Space which isn't accessible anymore even in my Purchase history.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yeah, that is kind of weird.
I'm going to be moving everything to an iPad so it should work still. But going the other way around... who knows.

Just backed up Dead Space which isn't accessible anymore even in my Purchase history.
Dead Space among others was removed entirely due to not functioning on newer (at the time) iOS versions.
All this talk about old apps is exactly why I periodically download all apps I get in iTunes onto my NAS for storage.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Dead Space among others was removed entirely due to not functioning on newer (at the time) iOS versions.
All this talk about old apps is exactly why I periodically download all apps I get in iTunes onto my NAS for storage.

Makes sense.
I played just a little bit earlier and it seems like the music is missing, but was working ok.
I may have a device with an older iOS version that should handle it better.

Croc

Banned
Been having a really annoying issue lately.

I'm having random notifications not show up. It's mostly with Facebook messenger where I won't get a notification that someone messaged me, either on the lock screen or with the red circles on the home screen. I'll only see once I've opened the app. The thing is though it's not all the time as if notifications are turned off. It's just random messages it's missing.

It's also started happening with Snapchat now except with Snapchat I'll get lock screen notifications fine, but there are no longer any red circle notifications on the home screen.

I haven't messed with notification settings at all and they're all still turned on.

Any ideas?

Been having a really annoying issue lately.

I'm having random notifications not show up. It's mostly with Facebook messenger where I won't get a notification that someone messaged me, either on the lock screen or with the red circles on the home screen. I'll only see once I've opened the app. The thing is though it's not all the time as if notifications are turned off. It's just random messages it's missing.

It's also started happening with Snapchat now except with Snapchat I'll get lock screen notifications fine, but there are no longer any red circle notifications on the home screen.

I haven't messed with notification settings at all and they're all still turned on.

Any ideas?

Same, for both of those apps specifically. I’ve only noticed the Facebook messenger thing once, but Snapchat has been consistent: I get the banner but no app badge. Haven’t noticed it with any other app so far. I’m on the iOS beta so I just attributed it to that

Croc

Banned
Same, for both of those apps specifically. I’ve only noticed the Facebook messenger thing once, but Snapchat has been consistent: I get the banner but no app badge. Haven’t noticed it with any other app so far. I’m on the iOS beta so I just attributed it to that

I'm actually not in the beta so it's not that.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ok, so I've played around a bit more with the iMazing software.

So as it turns out I was a bit mistaken.
If you're on iOS 9 or above, you can't extract the full app anymore as was explained earlier regarding app thinning.

So I didn't actually back up Dead Space. I only backed up the app data.
If you're on 8.x or below you can still extract the full .ipa file.

Luckily, I found an old backup folder from when I had last stopped using iTunes backups, and in there I found all the 32bit apps I was looking to save. Based on the date of the backup, they're all likely the last version that was available.

So now I'm on the hunt for an iPad Mini 3 with iOS 8.xx on it and use iMazing to transfer the IPA files to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom