• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

XenoRaven

Does anyone here have experience with refurbished iPads?

I'm looking at a refurbished Mini 2. Would that still run iOS without being super laggy for the foreseeable future?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
mini 2 is the minimum supported ipad mini in iOS 11.. so "foreseeable future".. no, probably not. my guess is it will be dropped at iOS 12. so it will be safe for around a year, maaayyybbbee two years if you get lucky and 12 supports it.

personally, it has (I believe) the same specs as my iPad Air.. which was ok, but starting to feel laggy, and high resource web pages were starting to crash or lag hard. I'd imagine you aren't paying a ton for it.. so just understanding that you will get what you pay for.. it works, but it definitely comes with concessions.

samn

I'm looking at a refurbished Mini 2. Would that still run iOS without being super laggy for the foreseeable future?

The mini 2 came out 4 years ago

it'll get one more year of software support and be dropped with iOS 12.

Apple official refurbished? I have a refurb Mini 2 I got pretty recently. Kind of lagged in iOS10, haven’t tried the 11 beta on it. 11 is likely the last update it will get

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The mini 2 came out 4 years ago

it'll get one more year of software support and be dropped with iOS 12.

it "could" get iOS 12 support. Especially with this being the year Apple drops 32-bit support. I wouldn't count on it.. but it is certainly possible.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

If you're talking about refurbished from Apple then it will look brand new.

Guess Who

Banned
imo: if you don't have much money to spend for an iPad, get the $329 9.7" iPad. If you don't have enough money for that one, save up - the A9 is the baseline you want to be on going forward.

It came out five months ago, so I bet it won't be long till you can pick one up refurb too.

HotHamBoy

I can't update my goddamn ipad air 2 from 10.2.1 to 10.3.3

For a long time it would just say "failed to verify update" when it attempted to install it and now it just say "10.2.1 - Your Software Is Up To Date" despite having a big red "1" notification next to General and Software Update.

Not in beta profile.

For a long time it would just say "failed to verify update" when it attempted to install it and now it just say "10.2.1 - Your Software Is Up To Date" despite having a big red "1" notification next to General and Software Update.

Not in beta profile.

Got a computer to force an update through?

mrkgoo

Not in beta profile.

Have you tried deleting any downloaded installer and/or restarting the device? To delete go to settings -> general -> storage. Find the one related to software updates and delete it.

Guess Who

Banned
Failed.

"The iPad could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (14)."

Try the steps in https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204770 under "Check your USB connections." You might also put the iPad in recovery mode and try the update that way.

To do that, shut your iPad off while it's completely unplugged from USB. Then, hold the home button and plug it in to your computer. Keep holding the home button until an iTunes icon appears on the iPad's screen. iTunes will ask what you want to do - hit cancel on the window then do the shift/alt+Update thing from before on the recovery mode screen. (Make sure to update and not restore - restore WILL wipe your shit.)

HotHamBoy

Failed.

Now it says I'm going to have to factory reset.

I can't do that. That is not an option for me.

Ipad is now fucked up.

It will only boot into restore mode now and the only option from itunes is to reset to factory settings.

If i cancel and try the update it just fails again after extracting saying the ipad can't be found.

Failed.

Now it says I'm going to have to factory reset.

I can't do that. That is not an option for me.

Ipad is now fucked up.

It will only boot into restore mode now and the only option from itunes is to reset to factory settings.

If i cancel and try the update it just fails again after extracting saying the ipad can't be found.

Why is a restore not an option? Is there no backup at all?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Not sure

I also really dont want to redownload 64 gb in apps

Apples software updates really should just work.

They do for 99% of people. Sounds like an unfortunate bug.

Do you have an iPhone? You can check to see if you've been backing up to iCloud in the meantime. Hopefully you had it simply enabled since it's in the background and you wouldn't notice it.
Restoring from a cloud back up does mean everything is re-downloaded, but it's automatic.

HotHamBoy

I don't have an iPhone. Can i check on itunes? It wont even let me browse the ipad on the laptop. It detects it, prompts to update or restore. Can't do anything else with it.

Tbh, i can't remember if icloud is on or not. I had the iCloud bug last year (or was it the year before?) and had it disabled because that shit was broken for like a year.

If I had given up and left it on 10.2.1 I'd at least have all my shit and a working iPad right now. Fuck.

I really don't want to deal with Apple support...

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I don't have an iPhone. Can i check on itunes? It wont even let me browse the ipad on the laptop. It detects it, prompts to update or restore. Can't do anything else with it.

Tbh, i can't remember if icloud is on or not. I had the iCloud bug last year (or was it the year before?) and had it disabled because that shit was broken for like a year.

If I had given up and left it on 10.2.1 I'd at least have all my shit and a working iPad right now. Fuck.

I really don't want to deal with Apple support...

You can log into www.icloud.com and go to settings.
In your storage it'll show if you had any space being saved from a backup. But can't really tell when it was created.

HotHamBoy

You can log into www.icloud.com and go to settings.
In your storage it'll show if you had any space being saved from a backup. But can't really tell when it was created.

Oh god i think it's working now. I remembered i had a generic lightning cable and tried that instead of my official one as a last-ditch effort. It seems to be going through with it now.

Thanks for talking me through it, lol. Lost data is the worst.

Oh god i think it's working now. I remembered i had a generic lightning cable and tried that instead of my official one as a last-ditch effort. It seems to be going through with it now.

Please make a backup. iCloud, iTunes, literally anywhere. Nothing works forever

Link

The Autumn Wind

Tell me about it. When I updated to 10.3 with the new file system, it deleted half my photos (which admittedly, was a known risk.) So I restored from backup, and while all my photos were back, they were completely out of order, which is almost just as bad. So I restored from backup again, hoping against hope that it would work. Amazingly enough, it actually did. Although one or two photos were slightly out of order, it was something I could live with.

So yeah, the moral of the story is: back up your damn device!

giga

Dunno, I dont have a big problem with going through the room to turn the light on, its just to expensive for this convenience for me.
Gotcha. Jumping in bed and saying "hey Siri good night" while all my lights turn off is the best thing. When you want something fun like that I recommend it!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Am I have to do programming to make this stuff works? Everytime I see Tutorials about Smart Home, I read colums of programm code and it turns me off and makes me afraid of the day my father wants to do stuff like this.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Am I have to do programming to make this stuff works? Everytime I see Tutorials about Smart Home, I read colums of programm code and it turns me off and makes me afraid of the day my father wants to do stuff like this.

There's no code at all...? Where are you seeing stuff like that?

AdanVC

I have an iPhone 6 and I'm still rocking iOS 9.-- I haven't upgrade because of the slide to unlock feature. But I'm starting to notice some heavy lag with some apps lately and I think I would not have other option than upgrade to iOS 10. Should I do it or the lag would stay even after installing iOS 10 because of hardware limitations are starting to show it's age?

But the simple slide to unlock feature tho... don't want to lose it : /

I have an iPhone 6 and I'm still rocking iOS 9.-- I haven't upgrade because of the slide to unlock feature. But I'm starting to notice some heavy lag with some apps lately and I think I would not have other option than upgrade to iOS 10. Should I do it or the lag would stay even after installing iOS 10 because of hardware limitations are starting to show it's age?

Why is that a big sticking point for you?

AdanVC

Why is that a big sticking point for you?

iOS is better without it.

I just like accessing to the phone in a snap by sliding to unlock. Having to press the home button another time even if it only takes 1 extra second is a deal breaker to upgrade to iOS 10 to me. Especially when I'm in a hurry and I need to make a quick phonecall or send a message while I'm walking on the street wich I do very frequently. But the phone has been lagging and crashing a lot recently (especially with Pokémon Go lol) so I guess I don't have other option but to upgrade and get used to the new unlock thing, right?? : /

emag

I just like accessing to the phone in a snap by sliding to unlock. Having to press the home button another time even if it only takes 1 extra second is a deal breaker to upgrade to iOS 10 to me. Especially when I'm in a hurry and I need to make a quick phonecall or send a message while I'm walking on the street wich I do very frequently. But the phone has been lagging and crashing a lot recently (especially with Pokémon Go lol) so I guess I don't have other option but to upgrade and get used to the new unlock thing, right?? : /

You only need to press the home button once (rest your finger in it for TouchID authentication) to unlock with iOS10/11.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The new way is so much better. As long as you have Touch ID. And on iOS 11, I really love the unified lock screen/notification center which they call the "Cover Sheet" now.

On the 7, it's literally instant. Not even a quarter of a second. Sliding to unlock actually takes longer than Touch ID on the 7. In fact, I rarely ever see the lock screen because it wakes up and disappears instantly as soon as I rest my finger. Which is another reason the unified "Cover Sheet" is brilliant. Most people from now on will rarely ever see the lock screen. So being able to get right back to it with a pull down swipe is nice. (In iOS 11 of course.)

Mafro

Update to iOS 10 then go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Home Button > turn on "Rest Finger to Open"

Problem solved, you don't need to press the home button as well to unlock.. Seems like a really petty reason to miss out on the news stuff in iOS 10 just because of that 1 second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom