• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Mairu

Yeah, anyone know how to removed wiped devices?

There's a link at the bottom when you're looking at the device on icloud.com, I had to do this last night for a Mac I had sold.

edit: well I just tried to do the same for my 4 and I can't see the link, guess we'll just have to wait for it to automatically remove it

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I've been trying to update my iPhone 4 to iOS 6 and I get error 1304 every time. Anyone know how to fix this? I tried some stuff I found in Google and none of it worked. So frustrating

Don't do it. Everyone I know who has updated their 4 to ios6 has reported major slowdown and decreased responsiveness.

Similar to putting iOS 4 on a 3G.

Noema

Don't do it. Everyone I know who has updated their 4 to ios6 has reported major slowdown and decreased responsiveness.

As someone who had to suffer the burden of iOS4 on a 3G for over two months and who has been using iOS 6 on a 4 for almost two weeks now, I can in all confidence state that no, the two aren't remotely similar. Not even in the same ballpark.

iOS 4 on the 3G was a miserable experience that made me want to throw the thing out the window. iOS 6 is underwhelming, no arguing there. But performance is not a problem. If anything it's a bit snappier (Safari is a good 10% faster on the 4 according to Anandtech's benchmarks). Try using Safari on a 3G on iOS4.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

It's the opposite in my case, the occasional light chugging I got with iOS 5 on my 4 is gone in 6 and everything is faster. Maybe a restore would help people getting slowdowns, I don't know.

edit: lol

Noema

Thing with the iPhone 3G is that it was basically running 3 year old hardware at the time iOS4 came out. Unlike every other iPhone release, which featured a faster CPU / GPU and (with the exception of the 4s) more RAM than its predecessor, the 3G was basically the same as the first iPhone except with 3G and GPS. It had the same CPU and a pitiful 128MB of RAM. That thing was slow even back when it was new.

We should be thankful that Android really kicked the smartphone wars into high gear and forced Apple to step up their game.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yo what's up with messages not being in the share menu on the iPad.
That's uhh.. Pretty whack.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Alright! I stand corrected. My friends are idiots , lol.

I've been on a 3G running 4.2 for the last two years... I just bought an iPhone 5 and its a frakkin revelation.

So, yea, carry on.

Vyer

For some reason I'm not clear how to get unified iMessages on my iPad. I don't see my phone number listed in the iMessage settings as a source. Has anyone figured how to set this up?

Brofist

Alright! I stand corrected. My friends are idiots , lol.

I've been on a 3G running 4.2 for the last two years... I just bought an iPhone 5 and its a frakkin revelation.

So, yea, carry on.

Well yeah from a 3G it must be amazing. From a 4s, not so much. Not that it's not a nice phone.

Vyer

Yeah, there is noticeable improvement from the 4.

Anyhow, my phone number is showing up now and I added it but I had my wife send a message and my iPad didn't get it. Hmmm

noah111

Still Alive
So what are the chances that the iOS 7 will actually be a push forward akin to the previous more substantial upgrades (multitasking, NC, etc)? I want to believe that they had to put so much focus internally on getting maps to work and building it from the ground up, that other developing ideas and features were put aside for the next iteration just to get maps out of the door. That's what i'm hoping, anyway..

iOS is still great in that it gets the job done, but there is so much innovation occurring all around Apple that I think they may be getting sidestepped without even knowing it. Oh and iPad iOS is still hilariously behind.

dLMN8R

Cool. "The world's most advanced operating system" is crashing on me every time I try to move Passbook to anywhere but the first page on my iPod Touch.

Thanks, Apple!

Noema

Like someone else said, the low hanging fruits (3rd party apps, Multitasking, Copy-Paste, Notifications), are all gone by this point. iOS is starting to mature and smartphone OSes will drift into the same cycle of subtle refinements desktop operating systems have been in for the past 10-12 years.

I suspect the next big thing for iOS could involve interoperability between Apps. So far apps live each in their own little sandbox, oblivious to one another. Working between different apps becomes tedious fast because all tasks must be done serially.

There's still some things they could do: They could allow third party apps to hook deeper into the OS; they could allow us to pick out default apps for different tasks. They could give us "full" multitasking for 3rd party Apps (current multitasking is limited as it's based on a set of APIs accessible by 3rd party apps. Default apps like Safari and Mail do have true multitasking).

But I doubt that'll happen because that would go against the design tenets that Apple established when they created the iPhone. Or maybe they'll surprise us. Who knows.

I think that the iPad would benefit if Apple stopped treating it like a gigantic iPhone. There's absolutely no reason for apps like Messages, Twitter, Facebook messenger, and even Mail to run full screen, all the time. Such a waste.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I have an urgent question that requires some clarification. Today I've used for the very first time posting a picture from my Camera Roll directly to Facebook. The process was pretty smooth, however I realized later that the resolution of the photo uploaded was severely downgraded. This has never happened when I used to post picture from the FB app itself.

Are people aware of this, and is there a workaround for this problem? Assuming I'm not doing something wrong myself, obviously.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Cool. "The world's most advanced operating system" is crashing on me every time I try to move Passbook to anywhere but the first page on my iPod Touch.

Thanks, Apple!
That's not normal at all. Weird.

I've moved it off, and even put it in a folder.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I had the chance to try out the Maps GPS function today and I found it to be excellent. I like it much better than Waze (can't compare it to google maps android GPS though). Unlike Waze, it tells you what your next step is immediately after you perform a step. Waze only let's you know what the next step is when you are closer to it. It also tells you what side of the street your address is on, which I believe Waze does not do. It seems to run much cleaner and faster than Waze. Waze has a little bit of lag with the GPS, but Maps does not seem to have it. I also like the clean look of maps. I'm still curious to see how it performs with traffic and accidents. That is the big thing I love about Waze. It really keeps you up to date with what is happening on the road, and it automatically adjusts your trip, taking you on alternative routes if necessary. I wonder if Maps will do the same thing, if not, I may keep using Waze instead since Chicago traffic is crazy.

Synless

You guys failed to mention .gifs are now 100% viewable in full size view when sent in a text. This changes everything.

noah111

Still Alive
I have an urgent question that requires some clarification. Today I've used for the very first time posting a picture from my Camera Roll directly to Facebook. The process was pretty smooth, however I realized later that the resolution of the photo uploaded was severely downgraded. This has never happened when I used to post picture from the FB app itself.

Are people aware of this, and is there a workaround for this problem? Assuming I'm not doing something wrong myself, obviously.
How severe are we talking? I once experienced a sort of glitch where I uploaded too fast, before the image had actually loaded in the viewer, and thus it came out pixelated. Not to FB, though.

MasLegio

Banned
So what are the chances that the iOS 7 will actually be a push forward akin to the previous more substantial upgrades (multitasking, NC, etc)? I want to believe that they had to put so much focus internally on getting maps to work and building it from the ground up, that other developing ideas and features were put aside for the next iteration just to get maps out of the door. That's what i'm hoping, anyway..

iOS is still great in that it gets the job done, but there is so much innovation occurring all around Apple that I think they may be getting sidestepped without even knowing it. Oh and iPad iOS is still hilariously behind.

if they wait with fixing maps until 7.0 they are fucked. They need to throw lots and lots of money to fix this giant failure. For every day their maps still suck they are losing current and potential customers.

if they wait with fixing maps until 7.0 they are fucked. They need to throw lots and lots of money to fix this giant failure. For every day their maps still suck they are losing current and potential customers.

I wonder if we'll get something as soon as a 6.1 with the iPad Mini, maybe?

Maps is cloud based. We don't need to wait until 6.1 for an update to it - if the Maps team at Apple fixes something tonight it'll be on our phones the moment they submit it.

Future

so... what apps actually support passport atm?

And how the fuck do you even... i mean how does it work?

This passport thing is worse than newsstand. I wonder what the stats are for people actually trying to use it, as its not obvious how to get started or what to even expect. Seems pretty hokey in support and implementation.

Tonight I went to the movies and bought the ticket on my phone as I have done the last year or so, and they scanned the ticket on my phone. This was using the theaters own app, which doesn't go through passbook at all. Besides the lock screen potentially showing the ticket, I'm not even sure why I'd need or want passbook for this

noah111

Still Alive
Pretty sure it's going to be like the beta where every week (give or take) there are changes being pushed. Some significant and others more subtle, but they can alter it on the fly, so no need for a .x update.

Steelrain

If this shit isn't looking a hell of a lot better by January i'm going to Android.

It's bad enough that Streetview is gone now. The shit they pulled with this update is seriously ridiculous.

jcm

I actually used the turn by turn maps yesterday, and it was a terrific experience. I asked siri for directions to <restaurant name>, <city, state> and she took me right there. The navigation screen is nice and clear and legible, the directions were sensible, the rerouting was smooth when I made a deviation. I was able to easily use siri to send a text message to my sister that I was running late, too.

The only downside was that I couldn't find a way to have her pause the music when she speaks, rather than just lower the volume. It's very irritating to listen to a podcast that way. Other than that it was smooth sailing.

Future

If this shit isn't looking a hell of a lot better by January i'm going to Android.

It's bad enough that Streetview is gone now. The shit they pulled with this update is seriously ridiculous.

I'm sure the accuracy will improve sooner than later, at least if you are in the us. Not sure about other data, like traffic. I miss the detailed street traffic I used to get in my area

Steelrain

I'm sure the accuracy will improve sooner than later, at least if you are in the us. Not sure about other data, like traffic. I miss the detailed street traffic I used to get in my area

Yeah I'm not in the US :(

It's pretty terrible in Japan. I'm hoping they fix it before my contract is up because I really want an iPhone 5 but I really need a good map app here. Siri is shit here anyway so i'm not too worried about that We'll see how it is in a few months I guess.

KingKong

ok fuck Podcasts.app, is it just me or does it just not work anymore? I can't download podcasts (it sits at 'preparing to download' over both 3G and wifi) and when I try to stream it, not only does it not tell me how long the episode is and where the progress is, it wont load all of it and stops like 5 minutes in

TuneIn Radio works perfectly with the same episode so I know its not that, I guess I'm getting Downcast since Podcasts wont sync with iTunes anyway

I don't know what happened though, since Podcasts was OK in iOS 5

This passport thing is worse than newsstand. I wonder what the stats are for people actually trying to use it, as its not obvious how to get started or what to even expect. Seems pretty hokey in support and implementation.

Tonight I went to the movies and bought the ticket on my phone as I have done the last year or so, and they scanned the ticket on my phone. This was using the theaters own app, which doesn't go through passbook at all. Besides the lock screen potentially showing the ticket, I'm not even sure why I'd need or want passbook for this

Passbook would give you the option to keep all of your tickets, loyalty cards, gift cards and other items in one convenient location. Seems like a good idea to me, who absolutely hates carrying around those damn loyalty cards all the time.

How about we let Passbook be out for more than a week before we declare that it is useless and shitty. The potential is huge for the app, we just need some more locations to support it.

Blackhead

Redarse
So is there no way to enable 'Speak Notifications' without turning on VoiceOver?! :(

And yet you can have 'Speak Auto-text' without turning on VoiceOver. *smh*

noah111

Still Alive

You use Maps that much to switch to android because of it? I'm pretty sure by that time Google will have had its maps app out on iOS anyway. ;p

PaulLFC

What battery level do you need to be safe to update? I have my iPad plugged in and charging and it's downloaded the iOS 6 update, but it only has 35% battery.

Since it's plugged into the mains can I update safely, or should I wait until it's charged more?

What battery level do you need to be safe to update? I have my iPad plugged in and charging and it's downloaded the iOS 6 update, but it only has 35% battery.

Since it's plugged into the mains can I update safely, or should I wait until it's charged more?

If it's plugged in: 0%.

If your battery level is below a certain treshhold I don't think it will let you update.

Top Bottom