• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

LCfiner

Is it worth it update iPod 4g?

do you own one now? if you use it more for the web and apps than music, then I say probably yes.

better screen (IPS), better camera and 4S speed make it a more powerful, all around device.

but if it's used mainly a music player, then nah.

noah111

Still Alive
The cloud tabs feature has been a fucking godsend for my MBP workflow. I used to almost always use pastebot on my iPad/phone and OS X in order to copy url links or specific text from a url, so this is welcomed.

I would have been using that feature with chrome a long while ago if it weren't for the fact that I use Safari on ML.

hirokazu

The cloud tabs feature has been a fucking godsend for my MBP workflow. I used to almost always use pastebot on my iPad/phone and OS X in order to copy url links or specific text from a url, so this is welcomed.

I would have been using that feature with chrome a long while ago if it weren't for the fact that I use Safari on ML.
I use Firefox on Mac and some browser called Sleipnir on iPad, Safari on iPhone, so I can't really take advantage of it, LOL. But I've switched back to browsing GAF on the iPad in Safari so I can easily pick up where I left stuff between iPhone and iPad at least.

LCfiner

I own one, use it for gaming the web and apps.
I'm in the fence to update to iOS 6

unless you use maps all the time and/or rely on street view, then an update to iOS 6 is fine. it's generally improved in all other areas. safari, for example, loads pages slightly faster.

X-Frame

Does anyone else think that Do Not Disturb should also get location options so that you can set say, your office as a location, and it'll automatically switch to DND?

noah111

Still Alive
Does anyone else think that Do Not Disturb should also get location options so that you can set say, your office as a location, and it'll automatically switch to DND?
Yup, definitely seems like an obvious inclusion. But I guess it could be detrimental if it ends up tripping without your knowledge and you miss a bunch of important calls..

Speaking of which, has that improved at all? I forget what it was coined, geo-fence or something. I remember it not being too reliable with siri, so I wonder if it's gotten better or usable.

NekoFever

I just noticed that I can now open links in the background in Safari on my iPhone 4. Glad that made is across from the iPad
because it makes it easier to open loads of threads on GAF.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I just noticed that I can now open links in the background in Safari on my iPhone 4. Glad that made is across from the iPad
because it makes it easier to open loads of threads on GAF.
That's not new to iOS 6. I've had that option on my 4S since I got it.

My 4S' battery lasts about 25% as long as it did pre-iOS6 and my phone is noticeably much hotter. I've tried restoring it and using the reset all settings option. It's very annoying. I think my iPad 3's battery is draining faster too but it's not so severe.

Zutroy

I tried out the turn-by-turn today. It worked really well, and was really quick at re-routing when I went off route.

I'm actually starting to think that the maps aren't that bad, it's main problem are the POIs. There were ones on it that haven't been there for about 15 years, and others that have been there longer than that but aren't on the map.

MasLegio

Banned
I tried out the turn-by-turn today. It worked really well, and was really quick at re-routing when I went off route.

I'm actually starting to think that the maps aren't that bad, it's main problem are the POIs. There were ones on it that haven't been there for about 15 years, and others that have been there longer than that but aren't on the map.

no, the problem with the maps is the lack of detail.
They (appear to) have only used car-centric map data which makes the maps useless for personal navigation

Used maps last night to get to a restaurant in SF.

Battery drained from 60% to under 30 during this time.

Driving through SF, information about surroundings was sparse.

Perhaps maybe spend some of your 100b cash reserves on R&D before pushing out such an immature product.

Tobor

Used maps last night to get to a restaurant in SF.

Battery drained from 60% to under 30 during this time.

Driving through SF, information about surroundings was sparse.

Perhaps maybe spend some of your 100b cash reserves on R&D before pushing out such an immature product.

Turn by turn GPS always kills the battery, that's not unusual. You should plug it into a charger.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Ok, so I'm using Siri on iPad, and I ask her how the weather is (I'm in NYC). She says that it's in the 80s and 90s. I'm like, what the fuck, it's cool and in the 60s in Manhattan. So I click on the Yahoo icon on the weather results, and it takes me to the Yahoo page... and it lists this as the location.

UIw0A.png

What the fuck, Apple. Get your act together.

jcm

Turn by turn GPS always kills the battery, that's not unusual. You should plug it into a charger.

Most of our chargers are obsolete thanks to lightning.

Ok, so I'm using Siri on iPad, and I ask her how the weather is (I'm in NYC). She says that it's in the 80s and 90s. I'm like, what the fuck, it's cool and in the 60s in Manhattan. So I click on the Yahoo icon on the weather results, and it takes me to the Yahoo page... and it lists this as the location.

UIw0A.png

She picked the best NY.

OchreHand

Yep, same annoying problem. I've even asked Siri for "weather in New York City" and it still returns New York, Texas. Since I live on the west side of Manhattan I work around it by asking the weather in Jersey City.

LCfiner

Yep, same annoying problem. I've even asked Siri for "weather in New York City" and it still returns New York, Texas. Since I live on the west side of Manhattan I work around it by asking the weather in Jersey City.

can you just ask for weather in "manhattan"?

edit. since siri is location aware, try leaving out the city altogether in your request

OchreHand

I don't see the weather widget :(

can you just ask for weather in "manhattan"?

edit. since siri is location aware, try leaving out the city altogether in your request

Just tried "weather, Manhattan" and "weather outside," still returns New York, Texas. Seems like a common problem after googling.

macrumors

LCfiner

I don't see the weather widget :(

Just tried "weather, Manhattan" and "weather outside," still returns New York, Texas. Seems like a common problem after googling.

macrumors

that is fuuuuuuuucked.

but I can't help but find this kind of funny since it's trying SO HARD to tell you the wrong thing, no matter what input you give it. that's dedication to pissing off the user.

OchreHand

that is fuuuuuuuucked.

but I can't help but find this kind of funny since it's trying SO HARD to tell you the wrong thing, no matter what input you give it. that's dedication to pissing off the user.

Yeah it's pretty bad.. Considering the population density of New York I'm surprised its not fixed yet.. can't imagine it's hard to fix either

Rayme

Finally decided to clean up my photo album. But photos in folders are just references to the main camera roll. Okay, not terrible, makes sense.

But now I want to delete photos out of the camera roll, and there's no way to eyeball which ones are in albums and which aren't, until you finally hit the delete key. Frustrating.

Am I missing something?

Does the podcast app really need to list every episode of the podcast ever as unplayed when you subscribe? It would be nice to have an option to just list the last three episodes or something.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Multi-finger swipe *really* needs to make its way to the iPhone. I use my iPad in a completely different way and I would rather the phone be able to respond in the same way with regards to input.

Why is there *still* no manual EQ option. They added the 'late night' preset so, why not give the user the ability to put together their own, on device?

It amazes me that there's still no SB settings/NC settings equivalent. WTF?

iOS 6 does nothing for me.

sonitii

Still no resolution or bitrate adjustment for the camera app. Isn't this a simple thing to add?

Anyone use a decent third-party video/camera app that allows this?

Top Bottom