• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Angel Gamer

Neo Member
What apps do your guys' Passbook include? I'm in Canada so we have cineplex and a few travel ones. Is it different in the states? elsewhere?

Number45

What apps do your guys' Passbook include? I'm in Canada so we have cineplex and a few travel ones. Is it different in the states? elsewhere?
The link when I launch the app store from within Passbook takes me to a page with iHotel, United Airlines, Lufthansa and American Airlines. UK here.

People probably wouldn't if the actual maps portion wasn't having such horrible issues around the world. Flyover and Google earth are pretty much only good for a few "Wow thats cool!"'s but outside of that and showing it to friends who haven't seen it before, it has next to no practical use until they build it out completely and can seamless stitch it with satellite view for maps worldwide.

Folks posting the post apocalyptic looking shots are probably doing it out of frustration with the bad data from the normal Maps section.

Can you use it along with turn by turn navigation? That would seem pretty useful.

Karl2177

Although not ios6 directly, is anyone else having major buffering issues in the new YouTube app? I'm on my university's Internet, so I know it's not anything speed related.

Future

What? It's not just for giant skyscrapers you know. It really helped me visualize even the smallest of builds like CVS stores or small restaurants. To say it's worthless because it can't help you identify anything just isn't true. I like the feature, being from houston it's pretty neat to dive into places you've been and places you were going to go, etc. I think it is a useful feature, and not a total throwaway as you're making it out to be. I don't get the hate for the sake of hate, tbh. It's actually pretty amazing.

I love how back when we had a reel of the company Apple acquired, showing how this tech works, everyone was aback by it and amazed, and now it's just complete trash. Flyover's ingenuity shouldn't be poo-pooed just because the maps app itself falls short in other areas. I'm not saying it's the second coming, but to say it's totally without worth is stretching it imo.

Though if I couldn't see my hometown in 3D like that, and just some random city i've never lived in, I guess I would feel it pretty useless as well. The more they expand upon it the better, obviously.

I agree it's neat. But I haven't found a use. The 3d buildings give you base approximations of size, but besides Giant landmarks it does little in helping you get around. Streetview in comparison, providing signage and actual photographs of areas is such a league beyond in helping you find stuff it can't even be described.

I live in la, so downtown is the only area I can use to test an area that I know. It was cool flying over USC campus and giving a general idea of scope, but once I started to try to find things specifically it all broke down. Trying to view in between the buildings in downtown la was borderline impossible, and pretty much had to zoom out to see anything, at which point I am just looking at a prettier satellite view. A view that's harder to use because big buildings keep blocki what I'm trying to see

But I'm ready to be wrong about this. Next time I'm downtown I will try flyover again and see if it actually helps with anything. I could be underestimating the help seeing the size of neighboring buildings and areas can provide

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I agree it's neat. But I haven't found a use. The 3d buildings give you base approximations of size, but besides Giant landmarks it does little in helping you get around. Streetview in comparison, providing signage and actual photographs of areas is such a league beyond in helping you find stuff it can't even be described.

I live in la, so downtown is the only area I can use to test an area that I know. It was cool flying over USC campus and giving a general idea of scope, but once I started to try to find things specifically it all broke down. Trying to view in between the buildings in downtown la was borderline impossible, and pretty much had to zoom out to see anything, at which point I am just looking at a prettier satellite view. A view that's harder to use because big buildings keep blocki what I'm trying to see

But I'm ready to be wrong about this. Next time I'm downtown I will try flyover again and see if it actually helps with anything. I could be underestimating the help seeing the size of neighboring buildings and areas can provide

While I agree that street view is way more helpful and can be a useful tool, do you guy really use it that often? Are people really that inept at reading addresses? I get the guy who is a realtor and uses it to look at the properties beforehand, but most people? Personally, I have only ever really used it as a novelty, kinda like the flyover. Maybe that's a product of being older and growing up using paper maps, or just, finding shit on your own. lol

DarkWish

Although not ios6 directly, is anyone else having major buffering issues in the new YouTube app? I'm on my university's Internet, so I know it's not anything speed related.
I keep having YouTube videos stop loading at a certain point, or maybe they're just buffering so badly it seemed they stopped. Happens almost every time. So I just have been using the mobile website which works fine. The app itself is still even lacking in things like being able to check your YouTube inbox and stuff like that. So until they get their act together with the app, I'm using the mobile website.

Mairu

I'd be fine with no street view or flyover if I got back transit directions or the ability to search for locations without knowing the full address. Apple Maps is so bad :/

Mairu

Appstore app?

I have four Maps apps on my phone now, purely because the one that comes on the phone now is garbage. Now, if there was one maps app that I could use instead of those other four, I'd love to use it... but even then I wouldn't be able to set it as the default maps application and any time I was clicking on an address in an app or an email I'd have to copy and paste it into one of the multiple apps I'll now be using.

dorkimoe

i wish they would just put podcasts back in the music app :( i hate it so much. Not to mention some of the podcasts dont download it just opens and streams? What causes that?

buhdeh

While I agree that street view is way more helpful and can be a useful tool, do you guy really use it that often? Are people really that inept at reading addresses? I get the guy who is a realtor and uses it to look at the properties beforehand, but most people? Personally, I have only ever really used it as a novelty, kinda like the flyover. Maybe that's a product of being older and growing up using paper maps, or just, finding shit on your own. lol

I use it all the time. I think it's essential for confirming locations (especially in downtown districts), clarifying confusing traffic patterns/designs, and it's GREAT for travelling. I was looking at hotels to stay in and would never have known how sketchy some of them were if I couldn't get a gauge on how the area outside of it looked.

I do use it much more on desktop Google Maps than on my phone. But street view is infinitely more useful than flyover. I opened flyover once and I'm not even sure what reason I'd have to use it again.

GG-Duo

A friend with an iPhone 4 asked me at lunch what's new in iOS 6, and I really struggled to give him an answer.

It's like... umm... crappier maps? A useless Passbook? Uh you can post to Facebook quicker? Status bars and other Apple GUI elements are uglier?

After the crazy major iOS5, iOS6 seems pretty lackluster. It's like a dot release. Disappointing.

A friend with an iPhone 4 asked me at lunch what's new in iOS 6, and I really struggled to give him an answer.

It's like... umm... crappier maps? A useless Passbook? Uh you can post to Facebook quicker? Status bars and other Apple GUI elements are uglier?

After the crazy major iOS5, iOS6 seems pretty lackluster. It's like a dot release. Disappointing.

Did you mention the revolutionary new phone dial screen?

I think it would be fair to say iOS6 has been the worst iteration of iOS so far. Hopefully iOS7 fixes things. Nothing in iOS6 is broken, but I can see how it has been a let down.

Mairu

I agree. I like not having to put my password in every time I install updates to an app but other than that iOS 6 seems like the worst iOS release in terms of changes from the previous version.

LCfiner

I'd say it's very underwelming considering how much iOS 5 improved things.

At least, as a Canadian, Siri has been updated to be useful (there was zero local search for it in ios 5) but beyond that notable improvement, it's a combination of middling color palate changes, a hit and miss maps app (turn by turn good; POI database bad) and other features I won't use (facebook, shared photo streams, and guided access stuff for toddlers.)

iOS 7 needs to be a more ambitious release. and the Maps database needs to be much better very soon.

Mindwipe

i wish they would just put podcasts back in the music app :( i hate it so much. Not to mention some of the podcasts dont download it just opens and streams? What causes that?

If you delete the Podcast app the tab on the music tab is restored in the same place it was in iOS5. Thankfully.

It doesn't help improve the silly sync situation that previous versions have, but it at least works.

Apple should start allowing software on the App Store that allows for small changes to the interface. I don't mean anything big or resource hogging. Apple can decide what APIs can be used and limit the amount of available resources these get. I want widgets mostly from this though. I don't want to have to open an app or ask Siri for a score update. I'd rather just flip the notification center down and read it myself.

noah111

Still Alive
I don't see the weather widget :(
The clock app is what i've been using for weather;

weather-world-clock-ipad.jpg

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Desktop iTunes?
Yeah. YOu can still hide them there and they will disappear from the list on iOS, but I swear at one point (Probably a feature lost in the redesign if not on purpose) you could swipe across an item in the Purchased list and have a Hide button appear. At least the functionality is still there. It just can't be done from the device.

The clock app is what i've been using for weather;

weather-world-clock-ipad.jpg
That's soooo helpful for someone who lives in Doylestown, PA. Because of course Doylestown is an option... oh wait, no it's not. What GreatDevide said. The clock on the iPad has weather as an extra. It's not at all meant to be a full weather app. Nor is it capable of being one.

Yeah. YOu can still hide them there and they will disappear from the list on iOS, but I swear at one point (Probably a feature lost in the redesign if not on purpose) you could swipe across an item in the Purchased list and have a Hide button appear. At least the functionality is still there. It just can't be done from the device.

You 100% could swipe and delete from an iOS device

cacophony

I've been trying to update my iPhone 4 to iOS 6 and I get error 3014 every time. Anyone know how to fix this? I tried some stuff I found in Google and none of it worked. So frustrating

edit: i mean 3014

Top Bottom