• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Steelrain

You use Maps that much to switch to android because of it? I'm pretty sure by that time Google will have had its maps app out on iOS anyway. ;p

Yeah I use it a ton because I have to travel a ton for work and I get lost as shit here.

It's still going to be annoying when Google releases their app because every link I click will default to Apple's piece of shit.

Yeah I use it a ton because I have to travel a ton for work and I get lost as shit here.

It's still going to be annoying when Google releases their app because every link I click will default to Apple's piece of shit.

if you travel that much for work, maybe it would be a good idea to invest in one of the "better" navigation apps, or a free alternative like Waze.

You get links to addresses? How does that work? Honest question, I'd love to send myself those sort of links.

PaulLFC

If it's plugged in: 0%.

If your battery level is below a certain treshhold I don't think it will let you update.
Okay thanks, I wasn't sure if it'd keep charging through the update process, but I'll give it a go and see, it should have enough battery to finish anyway now even if it wasn't plugged in.

Steelrain

if you travel that much for work, maybe it would be a good idea to invest in one of the "better" navigation apps, or a free alternative like Waze.

You get links to addresses? How does that work? Honest question, I'd love to send myself those sort of links.

When you search for a place online, Google will pop up with a link to their address, it pops up on your map when you click it. Or you can do it in Google Earth/Maps.

I'll just go to Android if need be. They have the best map app right now and I'm used it to so....we'll see what Apple does in the coming months :p

numble

When you search for a place online, Google will pop up with a link to their address, it pops up on your map when you click it. Or you can do it in Google Earth/Maps.

I'll just go to Android if need be. They have the best map app right now and I'm used it to so....we'll see what Apple does in the coming months :p
Google gives you a maps.google.com link.

numble

Yes, it does now.

It opened the Apple Google Map before.

So where does "every link I click will default to Apple's piece of shit" come in? There is no universal linking of addresses, everyone is sending each other Google Maps links or Bing Maps links or whatever.

Steelrain

So where does "every link I click will default to Apple's piece of shit" come in? There is no universal linking of addresses, everyone is sending each other Google Maps links or Bing Maps links or whatever.

For example, I use tabelog.coma lot to look for restaurants.

When I see a place I like and click the address, Apples piece of shit map pops instead of Google's because of the way the web apps are made i'm guessing. I've seen it on may of the sites I visit. I've been just copy-pasting the address to Google and going from there but it's pretty annoying.

Angst

Calendar events with location. Click location and it'll show up in the map app. I use this a ton.
Address on websites.
Adress in people's mail signatures.

numble

For example, I use tabelog.coma lot to look for restaurants.

When I see a place I like and click the address, Apples piece of shit map pops instead of Google's because of the way the web apps are made i'm guessing. I've seen it on may of the sites I visit. I've been just copy-pasting the address to Google and going from there but it's pretty annoying.

I just went to tabelog.com, seems like they're using Google Maps. Can you show me which sites link to Apple maps?

If you're talking about inside apps themselves, the developers can choose to implement Apple's Map API, or something different, like Google. All those 3rd-party GPS direction apps all use something besides Google/Apple, for instance, some apps even use Bing, some use Open Street Maps, and I have a couple that use Baidu Maps. But that's up to the developer, Apple doesn't put a restriction on what maps they choose to use, while Google charges some developers for API access.

Steelrain

I just went to tabelog.com, seems like they're using Google Maps. Can you show me which sites link to Apple maps?

If you're talking about inside apps themselves, the developers can choose to implement Apple's Map API, or something different, like Google. All those 3rd-party GPS direction apps all use something besides Google/Apple, for instance, some apps even use Bing, some use Open Street Maps, and I have a couple that use Baidu Maps. But that's up to the developer, Apple doesn't put a restriction on what maps they choose to use, while Google charges some developers for API access.

Did you go to Tabelog in your iphone? Because I just did and I got apples map so...

I'm not saying its Apples fault that the map pops up. I'm saying it sucks that it does and makes things far more annoying than they need to be.

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm starting to think that DND is the culprit of my battery draining 20%+ overnight on my iPhone 4.

I'm going to have to charge to 100% over the next 2 evenings, 1 with it on, and 1 with it off to just be sure.

numble

Did you go to Tabelog in your iphone? Because I just did and I got apples map so...

I'm not saying its Apples fault that the map pops up. I'm saying it sucks that it does and makes things far more annoying than they need to be.

I went to Tabelog.com on an iPad. I really didn't think that webpages could even implement Apple Maps--I didn't know they had a web API--I thought it was only in apps. Even iCloud.com doesn't use Apple Maps for their location stuff, I thought.

I'll tell you one thing: If intents (i.e. the opening of certain things via your prefered apps, be that Chrome, Google Maps or Sparrow) isn't in iOS 7 and this is something that is important to you, just jump ship. Unless people don't actively signal that this is important enough for them to buy a different phone for, Apple will not get the message and it may never come.

I appreciate Apple's walled garden. In an era, where Smartphones where in an infancy and most apps were terrible, that made sense and was important. Now? Go babysit your teenage kid and see how that works out for you.

X-Frame

So is there no way to enable 'Speak Notifications' without turning on VoiceOver?! :(

And yet you can have 'Speak Auto-text' without turning on VoiceOver. *smh*

What kind of notifications?

Because I downloaded a pack of alerts that uses Siri to notify me what notification I have. If I get an email, she will say, "New Email Received", or for a text, "New Text Message Received", etc.

Just assigned the alerts in Settings -> Sounds like any other ring tone or alert and its great.

I don't remember where I got them from, I think MacRumors.

Anno

Are Apple Maps crowd-sourced? Obviously it's up to Apple to fix this, but it would be nice if the millions of people with the application can help out.

dyls

I've added or modified info. I assume it has to be reviewed though. I'll let you guys know when I see changes.

How do you do it?

Just noticed that you can create ringtones in GarageBand directly on iPhone or iPad now. It's not very intuitive and a far more powerful program than is needed for such a simple task (unless you like making complicated remixes or mashups for ringtones I guess) but at least it's there now.

The sucky thing is that if you create one on the iPad and assign it to a contact (which you can do directly in the app - nice) iCloud won't carry that over to the phone. Hopefully that changes in a future update.

waypoetic

Banned
I fucking hate the podcast-app. There's only two ways to update a podcast with new episodes :

1. Subscribe to the podcast and watch the app fill up with all 200 what episodes, instead of that new episode that just came out today.

2. Go to "catalogue" and search for the podcast and download the episode you're looking for.

I'd rather just swipe down in the podcast-programsection and have the app update that space with the latest episode.

giga

If you have your gmail set up as an exchange (push) account, the ability to flag went missing because the domain name wasn't filled properly in the settings. Easy fix: http://www.andrewbecker.me/technica...-flag-message-fix/ios-6-flag-message-fix.html

In the field named "domain", add gmail.com

And voila, flag is back.

wC1v+

Fdxz+

Sarye

If you have your gmail set up as an exchange (push) account, the ability to flag went missing because the domain name wasn't filled properly in the settings. Easy fix: http://www.andrewbecker.me/technica...-flag-message-fix/ios-6-flag-message-fix.html

In the field named "domain", add m.google.com.

And voila, flag is back.
Thanks for the tip, I've been wondering why the flag disappeared for gmail. One thing though. the domain field should be "gmail.com" not m.google.com"

The iPhone automatically parses addresses and makes them into links. So if someone sends you an address in e-mail, it becomes an automatic link to the maps app. It's super handy but now it's shit because of what Apple did.

Jubern

I'm finding my battery to be on the weak side, but I can't really tell if its iOS6 fault, since I updated during the two weeks interval I didn't have a SIM card for my iPhone 4, thus using very little battery.

For instance, after ~5h of usage today I was down to 11% :/ Basically all Safari, Twitter and Facebook, I used maps with location for not even 5 minutes and watched like two or three YouTube videos. When it got to 11% I started limiting the usage to listening a podcast, and when I got home I was at 2% with 5h45 of usage time, 11h25 since last full charge.

Do you guys think this is normal, and if not is there anything I could/should do? I think I got the basics of saving iPhone battery life down, but it seems its not enough anymore...

Not everyone needs or cares about street view.

That's not what he said. He said it worked extremely well in his area. He didn't say it worked extremely well for his use case. Plus if you want to narrow it down to use case, as long as a maps app can take you to work and home, that would mean it's fine regardless of all the errors?

Tobor

That's not what he said. He said it worked extremely well in his area. He didn't say it worked extremely well for his use case. Plus if you want to narrow it down to use case, as long as a maps app can take you to work and home, that would mean it's fine regardless of all the errors?

His statement obviously includes his use case. Seemed self explanatory to me.

His statement obviously includes his use case. Seemed self explanatory to me.

No it doesn't. If I went to his area where he lived, it would still be shit for me. So him saying it works great in his area implies his area is better than other areas as far as maps working. That's not true.

Tobor

No it doesn't. If I went to his area where he lived, it would still be shit for me. So him saying it works great in his area implies his area is better than other areas as far as maps working. That's not true.

Of course it is. We know the map data is better in some areas than others.

Top Bottom