• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

dyls

I take it back, I just found a discrepancy. There's a pizza place with two locations, one near me that just opened up but already has 11 reviews on Yelp. The other location has been around for years. Only the other location shows up on a search in Maps, even when I search directly in the area where the new one should be. Both show up in a Yelp search.

Link

The Autumn Wind
You can drop a pin to where your house actually is, and set a route.

To drop a pin, tap the area where your house is on the map.
Yeah, I know how to drop a pin, but it's still not an extra step I should have to be taking.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I get that.

Not that I'm excusing the Maps app (and it shouldn't be excused), but for now, it's not at all a difficult extra step.
Admittedly, no, but it will be a bit more difficult when I need to use the pin for the other end of the directions. Obviously, I can just figure out a difference of 4 miles as well, but yeah, fix it, Apple.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
How severe are we talking? I once experienced a sort of glitch where I uploaded too fast, before the image had actually loaded in the viewer, and thus it came out pixelated. Not to FB, though.
From this...
iSp4QfcQ52SOb.jpeg

To this...
482912_3555645539783_1960246793_n.jpg

And apparently it happens whether I upload the photo from either Camera Roll or the FB app itself. It's as if the HQ upload option that was recently enabled by FB is not supported. This seriously dampens my excitement for the FB integration.

noah111

Still Alive
You call that severely downgraded? Looks like a normal FB photo to me. A bit smaller than usual I guess, but other than that I think it's a FB thing tbh.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
You call that severely downgraded? Looks like a normal FB photo to me. A bit smaller than usual I guess, but other than that I think it's a FB thing tbh.
I can upload the photo directly from my PC to FB at a much higher (almost unchaged?) resolution. It's definitely the OS since every method of uploading it from the phone yields the same result.

noah111

Still Alive
I can upload the photo directly from my PC to FB at a much higher (almost unchaged?) resolution. It's definitely the OS since every method of uploading it from the phone yields the same result.
If the official FB app does the same, then I don't get what's the disappointment. The whole point of the integration is just to sidestep that awful app and quickly share whatever.

But that is weird, I don't recall my mobile uploads being the small, but I could be wrong. Maybe it's a 3G thing (assuming you uploaded it on 3G)?

noah111

Still Alive
I'm probably the only one who noticed or cares about this, but I must say, one of the best things about iOS 6 is the fact that they've finally managed to 'fix' how folder closing works. Before, when a folder was expanded you had to either tap on the icon or anywhere outside of the linen area, to get the damn thing to close. This was frustrating sometimes since a swipe wouldn't register to close it, even though I felt that was the most natural way to 'shut' the folder. Now it works exactly like that, you just smoothly swipe up or down to literally 'push' the split segment of the screen back to the original position, closing the gap. Feels good. :]

Next step would be having a swipe up or down on a folder icon simply opening up the folder with that expanding animation.

But man, iOS 6 has been disappointing overall. So many obvious things they could/should be doing that i'm sort of perplexed as to why they're not. Even with something like Siri, they're not pushing it enough.

Spotlight's a good example. That POS basically hasn't been updated since it's reveal. Wait, that's not true, now when you search for an app it also lists the folder you've put it in on the far right. :lol How inconsequential of a thing to add, when they still haven't even gotten the basics of spotlight in the iOS version. Things like calculator capabilities, or defining a word, or just instantly searching wiki/google from the spotlight, have been in there for many, many years on the OS X side of things. Spotlight could've really been an amazingly useful thing that I use daily, but due to what's lacking above, it's just something I rarely ever use.

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm probably the only one who noticed or cares about this, but I must say, one of the best things about iOS 6 is the fact that they've finally managed to 'fix' how folder closing works. Before, when a folder was expanded you had to either tap on the icon or anywhere outside of the linen area, to get the damn thing to close. This was frustrating sometimes since a swipe wouldn't register to close it, even though I felt that was the most natural way to 'shut' the folder. Now it works exactly like that, you just smoothly swipe up or down to literally 'push' the split segment of the screen back to the original position, closing the gap. Feels good. :]

That's actually how it was originally but they changed it in an update.

I didn't know that they changed it back. Thanks. I prefer doing it that way too.

Sean

Banned
Basically, the maps app is acceptable only if you put in a precise address and ask it to take you there. But if you're actually searching for something that you don't know where it might be (a common function for a mobile maps app) this new Apple POI database is very, very poor. It's embarrassing, really. This kind of service degradation in an OS update should be unacceptable.

Yup, there's a lot of missing POI's and other times I'll get a ton of garbage results.

I searched for "Apple Store" in Maps and it brought up like 20 other junk results/pins for places like Apple Spice Junction, Apple Montessori School, Apple Farm (basically anything with "Apple" in the name). Then I asked Siri the command "Find me an Apple Store nearby" and the results were extremely accurate.

Tried another test by searching "pizza" inside the maps app and it showed me only two local results (with six more results in a whole other state lol). Asked the same thing to Siri and she found me ten pizza places within 2 miles of my apartment.

So there seems to be wildly different results depending on where you perform the search (Maps or Siri). They really need to fix that imo.

Next step would be having a swipe up or down on a folder icon simply opening up the folder with that expanding animation.

But man, iOS 6 has been disappointing overall. So many obvious things they could/should be doing that i'm sort of perplexed as to why they're not. Even with something like Siri, they're not pushing it enough.

Spotlight's a good example. That POS basically hasn't been updated since it's reveal. Wait, that's not true, now when you search for an app it also lists the folder you've put it in on the far right. :lol How inconsequential of a thing to add, when they still haven't even gotten the basics of spotlight in the iOS version. Things like calculator capabilities, or defining a word, or just instantly searching wiki/google from the spotlight, have been in there for many, many years on the OS X side of things. Spotlight could've really been an amazingly useful thing that I use daily, but due to what's lacking above, it's just something I rarely ever use.
Forstall should be canned.

To the people that really hate the new Maps app, would you rather Apple continued their deal with Google and still never get turn-by-turn navigation? Google wouldn't allow it on their APIs. If it takes a year or two for this Maps app to get around as accurate as Google's, I think it is a worthy investment even if the short term leads to some head scratching searches.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Yeah, I know how to drop a pin, but it's still not an extra step I should have to be taking.

Wait, you would rather type in your address every time, rather than setting a bookmark?

I always set my home as a bookmark, that way I can easily get directions from wherever I am to home I need be.

Vyer

Might help to save that pin as a bookmark. You can call it 'home' or whatever, then when you are pulling up directions just start typing in 'home' in the box and it should appear as an option in the list.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
To the people that really hate the new Maps app, would you rather Apple continued their deal with Google and still never get turn-by-turn navigation? Google wouldn't allow it on their APIs. If it takes a year or two for this Maps app to get around as accurate as Google's, I think it is a worthy investment even if the short term leads to some head scratching searches.
I'd rather it be released when it was ready.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
i'd like to try it out, but every time i try to sign into my MSN account, it instantly disconnects.
Ah, weird - it's one of the only IM clients I found to be super reliable! Maybe it's a server issue.. MSN is pretty flaky.

That TUAW rant is hilarious. And why is the alternative always a Samsung? It's like people forget other brands exist.

I'd rather it be released when it was ready.

Apple cannot make a world map ready without it going throw a public beta, which this basically is. There is no feasible way for them to make a world map without millions of users giving feedback and pulling data from. This is a necessary step.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Apple cannot make a world map ready without it going throw a public beta, which this basically is. There is no feasible way for them to make a world map without millions of users giving feedback and pulling data from. This is a necessary step.
I'd expect the basics like complete Yelp DB listings to work though.

How often are you going to excuse everything for Apple?

I'd expect the basics like complete Yelp DB listings to work though.

How often are you going to excuse everything for Apple?

I think the map needs to be fixed. It definitely needs work. I don't think the solution would have been to keep using Google Maps and continue to not have turn-by-turn. Ultimately, this new Maps app will be made or broken by how much effort Apple puts into improving it. I'll start by giving them the benefit of the doubt that they are committed to improving it. We'll see how it goes.

jyoung188

So podcast playback in the music app, or video app for video podcasts, doesn't sync with itunes on the computer anymore? Am I missing something? I used to listen to podcasts on my iphone then sync and pick them up where I was on my computer or ipod, can I not do that anymore? Do I have to download that fucking podcast app?

I miss the old iPod app where everything was just in one place, I don't understand why apple had to split it all up -__-

Quick

Banned
The App Store on the iPad seems to be crashing somewhat consistently when it's opened initially. It would work fine after opening it again.

Future

Ah, weird - it's one of the only IM clients I found to be super reliable! Maybe it's a server issue.. MSN is pretty flaky.

That TUAW rant is hilarious. And why is the alternative always a Samsung? It's like people forget other brands exist.

Samsung has the closest most direct competitor.

I like the rant in that it really spells out the deficiency for those that grew to depend on maps. Even now when given new addresses, to have to wonder if its gonna put you in the right spot is pretty ridiculous. I don't even know how it's possible since I thought they were licensing data from Tom Tom and other services

Majine

Banned
iPhoto on Mac needs to get updated to get Shared Photostreams integrated in. You can view photos, but they aren't as elegantly presented as on iOS.

Chaps, got an issue

I was on holiday, and turned off data roaming on my iPad and iPhone, but took pics on my iPhone which appear on its photostream

I've been back in the UK for a day now and turned on data on my iPad again, but photos haven't come onto the iPad photostream.

I was going to turn photostream on the iPad off then on again, but was scared as it said it's going to delete all the pics

What shall I do?

LCfiner

So podcast playback in the music app, or video app for video podcasts, doesn't sync with itunes on the computer anymore? Am I missing something? I used to listen to podcasts on my iphone then sync and pick them up where I was on my computer or ipod, can I not do that anymore? Do I have to download that fucking podcast app?

I miss the old iPod app where everything was just in one place, I don't understand why apple had to split it all up -__-

it will sync with the new itunes app, coming later next month, via icloud. this is explained on the new iTunes feature page. so that's good news but does nothing to help you this moment.

until that time, you should delete the podcast app and the podcast tab will reappear in the music app on the iPhone. and then everything will sync in itunes like before

MasLegio

Banned
Yes, I would rather have a working map app without turn by turn than a useless map with rutm by turn. 2 years of a useless map is 2 years too long.

One of the biggest Apple sites around has a post freaking out:
http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/24/my-next-phone-will-be-a-samsung-not-an-iphone-5/
Yes the apple army defenders comments are crazy and sometimes so hateful it is frightening.

This is not beta quality, it is alpha and should have been released as a separate app for alpha testing and not made the default map app.

Just buy Downcast.

Nicktendo86

So, anyone else with a 4th gen iPod still having problems with the app store? Frequently crashes, can't search, pretty much unusable.

I know the Apple Maps app is rough but let's not pretend that Google Maps hasn't fucked up before. I was looking for a store that sells Ugly Dolls here in Burbank and Google Maps directed me to an apartment complex about 8 blocks away from the mall where the actual store was. Whoops.

Steelrain

I know the Apple Maps app is rough but let's not pretend that Google Maps hasn't fucked up before. I was looking for a store that sells Ugly Dolls here in Burbank and Google Maps directed me to an apartment complex about 8 blocks away from the mall where the actual store was. Whoops.

I don't think anyone in this entire thread thinks that.

When are we going to start seeing passbook supported apps appearing for people in the UK, all I can seem to find is American Airlines and a few others I wouldn't use.

Cheech

Bizarre issue with shuffling playlists.

On iOS 5, I'd go into the playlist, hit "shuffle" at top, and it would play the songs in the playlist in random order.

On iOS 6, I do the same thing, and it pretty much finds an artist, and then plays all the songs from that artist before moving on. Beyond bizarre. Anyone else seen this?

Vyer

Interesting to see the Instacast data issues some of you are having. It's a pretty solid app, but I'm glad I had started to switch over to Downcast.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Wait, you would rather type in your address every time, rather than setting a bookmark?

I always set my home as a bookmark, that way I can easily get directions from wherever I am to home I need be.

Might help to save that pin as a bookmark. You can call it 'home' or whatever, then when you are pulling up directions just start typing in 'home' in the box and it should appear as an option in the list.
I already had my address stored under "Home" in my contact info, but yeah, I'll add it as a bookmark for now.

KingKong

yep, just bought Downcast.

Apples Podcast app is a complete joke

it will sync with the new itunes app, coming later next month, via icloud. this is explained on the new iTunes feature page. so that's good news but does nothing to help you this moment.

well that sounds awesome, but Podcasts.app won't even download any podcasts, it just sits at preparing to download and then gives me an error. It was working fine in iOS5 so its either the new iTunes store or the Podcasts update

Sarye

siri has been bad since the release of iphone 5. Haven't been able to get it to work.. probably due to the congestion of people trying it out.

having no offline mode is mindboggling especially when the old voice control when you disable siri WORKS OFFLINE!

IMO simple things like calling or setting an alarm should all be able to be done without the internet.

Voice recognition is one of those things that high success rate is imperative. Even having it work 90% of the time is still unacceptable.. and it's frustrating especially when most of the issues are server based, and not siri itself. When it works, it's great.

dk_

siri has been bad since the release of iphone 5. Haven't been able to get it to work.. probably due to the congestion of people trying it out.

having no offline mode is mindboggling especially when the old voice control when you disable siri WORKS OFFLINE!

IMO simple things like calling or setting an alarm should all be able to be done without the internet.

Voice recognition is one of those things that high success rate is imperative. Even having it work 90% of the time is still unacceptable.. and it's frustrating especially when most of the issues are server based, and not siri itself. When it works, it's great.
Wise words.

Late to the iOS6 party.

Loving the dumb,arbitrary changes. Music app? Let's make it ugly! Tired of the convenience of seeing numerous results at once in the app store? One at a time, with slow scrolling! Maps too slow? Our new maps are blazing fast! And 10 times worse in every other aspect.

I'm progressively more and more worried about post-Jobs Apple.

Mairu

I agree, although I used it a few times yesterday without any issue.

Top Bottom