• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Downhome

In addition to what I wrote above, I have found another major problem which I did not realize until just now. After the iOS 6 update, my phone now disables WiFi when I put it in sleep mode. That is likely why my data usage has skyrocketed. If I start a download with WiFi on, put it in sleep mode as I always have for it to download while I listen to something else, it switches so that it eats up my data. Same thing about streaming stuff or whatever else. Ugh, this just gets worse and worse.

Ovid

siri has been bad since the release of iphone 5. Haven't been able to get it to work.. probably due to the congestion of people trying it out.

having no offline mode is mindboggling especially when the old voice control when you disable siri WORKS OFFLINE!

IMO simple things like calling or setting an alarm should all be able to be done without the internet.

Voice recognition is one of those things that high success rate is imperative. Even having it work 90% of the time is still unacceptable.. and it's frustrating especially when most of the issues are server based, and not siri itself. When it works, it's great.
Can't complain about anything you just said. Really, why does Siri need the Internet to do tasks (eg. set alarms) on the phone?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
In addition to what I wrote above, I have found another major problem which I did not realize until just now. After the iOS 6 update, my phone now disables WiFi when I put it in sleep mode. That is likely why my data usage has skyrocketed. If I start a download with WiFi on, put it in sleep mode as I always have for it to download while I listen to something else, it switches so that it eats up my data. Same thing about streaming stuff or whatever else. Ugh, this just gets worse and worse.
iOS has always done this, wifi is turned off if the phone is locked and the connection isn't actively used at that point.

The difference is that in iOS 6 there is an universal Use Cellular Data switch in the iTunes & App Stores settings that is used by all the Apple apps when turned on. Podcasts uses the ITunes Store app to download the podcasts for example. So if you have that on, when locked, your phone swaps to cellular data. Explains why your usage is up.

Downhome

iOS has always done this, wifi is turned off if the phone is locked and the connection isn't actively used at that point.

The difference is that in iOS 6 there is an universal Use Cellular Data switch in the iTunes & App Stores settings that is used by all the Apple apps when turned on. Podcasts uses the ITunes Store app to download the podcasts for example. So if you have that on, when locked, your phone swaps to cellular data. Explains why your usage is up.

That is turned off, it can't be why my usage is up.

I have always set up multiple podcasts to download, hit the top button to turn off the screen, and when I open it back up a little while later to change podcasts all that I have downloaded is completed and ready to play, and it never used any of my cellular data to do so. Maybe downloads are just so incredibly slow now and they come up quick after I turn the screen back on, but that's what I've done every day for over a year now.

I tinkered with some other options before I went to work today hoping that it would help, and whatever I did seemed to fix the usage problem. I am now home and just checked my usage again and today I sent 1.1 MB and received 3.2 MB. That is far more in line of what it should be. It's ridiculous that I used almost 2 full GB in just a matter of days. I don't care what the reason, but it's unacceptable if it changed over in the update, and that's the only thing it could be since I've made no changes myself from what I normally do.

I'm more frustrated about the entire podcast issue though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but what the hell - if I delete apps from my PC with iTunes on it (to free up space on the hard drive), is there a way to sync my iPhone to my PC without iTunes also erasing the app from my iPhone?

I plugged my iPhone in and it warns me that it'll delete everything that I removed from my PC, and I don't want it to do that.

I just want to be able to move apps from my PC to my Phone, but not have to keep a copy of the file on PC (because games like Infinite Blade are over a gig).

MasLegio

Banned
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but what the hell - if I delete apps from my PC with iTunes on it (to free up space on the hard drive), is there a way to sync my iPhone to my PC without iTunes also erasing the app from my iPhone?

I plugged my iPhone in and it warns me that it'll delete everything that I removed from my PC, and I don't want it to do that.

I just want to be able to move apps from my PC to my Phone, but not have to keep a copy of the file on PC (because games like Infinite Blade are over a gig).

you do know that if the app is removed from the appstore you never can get it back unless you own a local copy of the app?

Tobor

Switch to iCloud as your backup.

Downhome

I just downloaded Downcast, holy God does it put anything from Apple to shame. I mean it just destroys it all. Thanks for that recommendation. They should be shamed that such an app is that much better than what they are dishing out.

Vyer

Here is what it always does no matter what I download. I've been trying to get this one all afternoon!!!

lztss.png

Each episode of the omeara show is like 60 mb, so if you've been having podcast issues and keep having to re download these episodes (among others) that would probably contribute heavily to that data pull.

Edit: and I was just about to toss another Downcast recommendation out there! It's a great app.

Downhome

Each episode of the omeara show is like 60 mb, so if you've been having podcast issues and keep having to re download these episodes (among others) that would probably contribute heavily to that data pull.

Edit: and I was just about to toss another Downcast recommendation out there! It's a great app.

I only download them over wifi though, so I'm not sure how that would matter.

It's all a moot point right now though. I'm sticking with Downcast, to hell with any updates they offer on that disgusting podcast app, I'm done with it.

Tobor

Downcast is cool, but I've deleted it. The combination of iOS 6 and the extra oomph in the iPhone 5 hardware removed any issues I was having with the native Podcast app.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Downcast is cool, but I've deleted it. The combination of iOS 6 and the extra oomph in the iPhone 5 hardware removed any issues I was having with the native Podcast app.

Same here. Only issue I have with the Podcast app now is it sometimes weirds out marking stuff unplayed, but it'll get fixed in due course.

dorkimoe

Is this a bug? When i get a text message while im using the phone texting a different person or browsing the internet, the notification bar scrolls down on the top but it doesnt go away, it stays there forever until i back out of the text or whatever

firehawk12

Subete no aware
you do know that if the app is removed from the appstore you never can get it back unless you own a local copy of the app?
Yes. I moved the actual files to an external hard drive.

Switch to iCloud as your backup.
I have. I still want to download new apps on the PC so I can have a local file and not download twice if possible.

So, basically I'm fucked and can never sync to a PC for the rest of the time I own the phone then?

mrkgoo

iOS 6 is the final nail in the coffin for my iPhone 3G, because any apps that are approved for ios6 in Xcode has now dropped support for any OS before 4.3

Basically no app approved from now on will install on my phone, including updates.

It was slowly happening I guess, but time to pony up and upgrade my phone!

Tobor

I have. I still want to download new apps on the PC so I can have a local file and not download twice if possible.

So, basically I'm fucked and can never sync to a PC for the rest of the time I own the phone then?

I don't see what you want the local backup for, but regardless, you can't do it the way you are doing it. If you want the local backup, then the apps need to be in iTunes. If you want to remove the apps from iTunes and keep them on the iPhone, then backup to iCloud. You can't backup to both.

mrkgoo

It's actually very simple.

If you sync a phone with a pc, you SYNC a phone with the pc. Synchronise. Delete an app off home base, it deletes off the synced device next sync. I agree it sucks, considering if you delete an app off device, it DOESN't delete off the home base, but you have to realise the concept of syncing is from the days where your pc was a hub for all your devices.
What you're wanting to do is sync ... But NOT sync at the same time. It's a granularity of control that is typically absent in simple apple ecosystems.

However, regarding tobor's point, I thought you CAN backup to cloud and to a pc. That is you have an cloud backup and still sync to a pc. And even make a backup (right click on your device in iTunes and make a manual backup). Unless I has changed, of course.

That's something different than making a backup of app files though.
Edit: yeah I realised you can backup to two things but I think it still means you're syncing, so removal o the apps would still delete them, Whig was he main point.

So I posted this in the Maps thread but I thought you guys might find these apps useful too.

"I don't know how old this is but HopStop has been updated for iOS 6 and includes a ton of directions.

HopStop iTunes Link

HopStop works in 62 cities and counting:

New York City, New Jersey, Long Island, Metro North Area, Delaware, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia, San Antonio, San Diego, Dallas, San Francisco, Austin, Columbus, Charlotte, Baltimore, Boston, Seattle, Washington, DC, Denver, Milwaukee, Portland, Las Vegas, Sacramento, Atlanta, Raleigh, Miami, Cleveland, Minneapolis, Honolulu, Tampa, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Buffalo, Norfolk, Rochester, Salt Lake City, Providence, Kansas City, Hartford, Richmond, Albany, Lexington, Madison, Reno, Sarasota, Spokane, Moscow, London, St Petersburg, Paris, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Halifax

Alternatively Lumatic City Maps also does directions with Street View like pictures.

Lumatic City Maps iTunes Link

Description
Designed for locals and travelers alike, City Maps provides detailed public transit and walking directions for major metropolitan areas in the U.S.

CITY MAPS IS ALL YOU NEED FOR GETTING AROUND A CITY
• Get easy-to-follow walking and public transit directions to/from anywhere in the metro area
• Search by address, business name, or category
• Search for "pizza" or "coffee" or "park" to see a list of options nearby
• Get details about businesses, parks and landmarks, including content from Yelp, Foursquare, Facebook, Wikipedia and more
• See all transit lines with stops near your location, with next three scheduled departure times
• Choose from multiple route options for public transit, calculated based on transit schedules so you can select the route that will get you there fastest

OUR DIRECTIONS ARE DIFFERENT
We point out visible businesses and landmarks to make our directions easy to follow ("turn left after passing Starbucks"). We also include street-level photos for each step. Photos allow you to orient yourself using buildings, signage and natural features so it's easy to see exactly where you're going, even before you depart.

City Maps covers 25 metropolitan areas, with more added regularly:

Ann Arbor, Atlanta, Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Cincinnati, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Los Angeles, Madison, Miami, Milwaukee, New Orleans, New York City, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Portland, San Antonio, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle, St. Louis, Washington DC.

All major inner-city and commuter transit agencies are included for each city.

Hope this helps some of you."

Also if you're in a city that has one of the Embark apps, definitely get it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't see what you want the local backup for, but regardless, you can't do it the way you are doing it. If you want the local backup, then the apps need to be in iTunes. If you want to remove the apps from iTunes and keep them on the iPhone, then backup to iCloud. You can't backup to both.
Ugh. Well, it was more for managing the stupidly big games like Infinity Blade and Horn. They're not games you want to play all the time, but having them eat 4 gigs simultaneously on a computer and on the phone seems kind of silly.

It's my first iPhone, so I'm still learning about the draconian DRM stuff. Imagine my shock when I discovered that you can only sync to one computer at a time without erasing the phone. :(

If you sync a phone with a pc, you SYNC a phone with the pc. Synchronise. Delete an app off home base, it deletes off the synced device next sync. I agree it sucks, considering if you delete an app off device, it DOESN't delete off the home base, but you have to realise the concept of syncing is from the days where your pc was a hub for all your devices.
What you're wanting to do is sync ... But NOT sync at the same time. It's a granularity of control that is typically absent in simple apple ecosystems.
Honestly, I wanted to be able to manage apps the same way that I managed music and movies on my old iPod nano. I didn't realize that you can't do that. :/

Since I already deleted the apps from iTunes, I really don't have a choice in the matter I guess. :(

Mairu

Ugh. Well, it was more for managing the stupidly big games like Infinity Blade and Horn. They're not games you want to play all the time, but having them eat 4 gigs simultaneously on a computer and on the phone seems kind of silly.

It's my first iPhone, so I'm still learning about the draconian DRM stuff. Imagine my shock when I discovered that you can only sync to one computer at a time without erasing the phone. :(

You can get around syncing to multiple computers for some things by changing the iTunes Library ID on the second computer

I'm not sure how you would manage syncing to a computer while also not syncing (adding and then deleting)

Tobor

Honestly, I wanted to be able to manage apps the same way that I managed music and movies on my old iPod nano. I didn't realize that you can't do that. :/

Since I already deleted the apps from iTunes, I really don't have a choice in the matter I guess. :(

It works exactly the same. If you removed a song from your iTunes library, and synced your Nano, it would remove the song from the Nano as well. That's what syncing is.

What I would recommend is you look into an app for your computer to access and backup game saves you want to keep, sync to iCloud, and don't worry about backing up the apps to the PC.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

This is the way I do it (on a Mac, I'm not positive if it works the same on Windows but I assume it does):

Manually remove the .ipa files from the Mobile Applications folder in the iTunes directory, then put them in an external HD. The iTunes program will still act like you own the apps in the app section, you just won't be able to show the actual files in Explorer/Finder. If you try to do it, you'll get a little exclamation point next to the app icon:

4QBqz.png

However, when you sync your phone it will not remove the apps from your device as long as you keep them checked. To add an app file back to the library, just paste the .ipa back in the Mobile Applications folder and iTunes will recognize it. That or delete the icon in the apps section ad re-download it from the App Store.

Carlisle

Is there any real purpose to expanding iCloud beyond the free 5GB? I decided to go all iCloud today and got iTunes Match and expanded iCloud to 15GB for phone back ups. My whole phone backup only took up 500 mb, so I backed up my iPad... Only 1.5 GB more. I still haven't used half the free 5 GB so I'm starting to feel like I wasted my money expanding that. I can't imagine anything else I would need more space than that for. Am I missing something?

Is there any real purpose to expanding iCloud beyond the free 5GB? I decided to go all iCloud today and got iTunes Match and expanded iCloud to 15GB for phone back ups. My whole phone backup only took up 500 mb, so I backed up my iPad... Only 1.5 GB more. I still haven't used half the free 5 GB so I'm starting to feel like I wasted my money expanding that. I can't imagine anything else I would need more space than that for. Am I missing something?

Uploading songs that aren't already in the iTunes store will take up space along with saved data from any app that decides to use iCloud.

Tobor

You must not take any pictures or have a lot of app data. I'm using around 8 GBs to back up my iPhone and iPad.

Uploading songs that aren't already in the iTunes store will take up space along with saved data from any app that decides to use iCloud.

Uploaded songs don't count against your iCloud cap. They only count against the iTunes Match 25K song limit.

jts

...hate me...
Can't complain about anything you just said. Really, why does Siri need the Internet to do tasks (eg. set alarms) on the phone?
Because it won't even recognize what you're saying. iOS speech recognition is purely server-based, or cloud-based if you want.

You can't even use dictation (speech to text) without internet either.

But yeah, it would be cool if they could manage to crap out some offline mode. Doubt it would be trivial though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You can get around syncing to multiple computers for some things by changing the iTunes Library ID on the second computer

I'm not sure how you would manage syncing to a computer while also not syncing (adding and then deleting)
Yeah, I read about that. The problem is that I have to delete the music library on my second computer, so I put it off. Although I guess if I have to do it eventually, might as well do it now before it gets even more painful.

It works exactly the same. If you removed a song from your iTunes library, and synced your Nano, it would remove the song from the Nano as well. That's what syncing is.

What I would recommend is you look into an app for your computer to access and backup game saves you want to keep, sync to iCloud, and don't worry about backing up the apps to the PC.
I don't know if they changed anything since the iPod Nano 3rd gen, but by turning off automatic sync for music, I was able to individually manage songs and media on separate PCs without it giving me warnings anyway. Maybe I'm using "sync" the wrong way - I'd just like to be able to individually "manage" files by copying from a PC to a iPhone without having it copy every single thing over.

This is the way I do it (on a Mac, I'm not positive if it works the same in Windows but I assume it does):

Directly remove the .ipa files from the Mobile Applications folder in the iTunes directory, then put them in an external HD. The iTunes program will still act like you own the apps in the app section, you just won't be able to show the actual files in Explorer/Finder. If you try to do it, you'll get a little exclamation point next to the app icon:

http://i.imgur.com/4QBqz.png

However, when you sync your phone it will not remove the apps from your device as long as you keep them checked. To add an app file back to the library, just paste the .ipa back in the Mobile Applications folder and iTunes will recognize it. That or delete the icon in the apps section ad re-download it from the App Store.

That was my original plan, but I didn't know that you could still leave it checked on the sync list and it would be fine. If I re-link all the files back to iTunes, do you think it would be fine?
I suppose my real problem is that I have way too many apps and using iTunes to manage apps individually is way too slow.

I know, first world problems. lol

mrkgoo

This is the way I do it (on a Mac, I'm not positive if it works the same on Windows but I assume it does):

Directly remove the .ipa files from the Mobile Applications folder in the iTunes directory, then put them in an external HD. The iTunes program will still act like you own the apps in the app section, you just won't be able to show the actual files in Explorer/Finder. If you try to do it, you'll get a little exclamation point next to the app icon:

4QBqz.png

!

I figured there may have been a way by referencing apps, like having a dummy pointer, but didn't gather that it would keep the library info intact if you removed outright. If youtried that on songs, iTunes recognises that ou removed them I believe and deletes the entry from the library.

Interesting, thanks for clarifying. Thee you go firehawk, it's more or less a workaround for what you want. It is a semi 'hack' though and you never know when apple might change it so it works like the music.

You must not take any pictures or have a lot of app data. I'm using around 8 GBs to back up my iPhone and iPad.

Uploaded songs don't count against your iCloud cap. They only count against the iTunes Match 25K song limit.

If you have iTunes Match it'll match up to 25,000 songs, but if a song on your computer isn't also on the store then you have to upload it yourself and it takes up iCloud space.

Tobor

If you have iTunes Match it'll match up to 25,000 songs, but if a song on your computer isn't also on the store then you have to upload it yourself and it takes up iCloud space.

Nope, it doesn't. I'll find a link if you like, but trust me, it doesn't.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
!

I figured there may have been a way by referencing apps, like having a dummy pointer, but didn't gather that it would keep the library info intact if you removed outright. If youtried that on songs, iTunes recognises that ou removed them I believe and deletes the entry from the library.

Interesting, thanks for clarifying. Thee you go firehawk, it's more or less a workaround for what you want. It is a semi 'hack' though and you never know when apple might change it so it works like the music.

Yeah. The problem is that I already deleted my library, so I don't know what will happen if I try to relink all the files and then sync. lol

I'm afraid to check, to be honest. :(

Fuu

Photos, PDFs and other types of big documents can take a lot of space if you use iCloud for that sort of stuff.

That was my original plan, but I didn't know that you could still leave it checked on the sync list and it would be fine. If I re-link all the files back to iTunes, do you think it would be fine?
I suppose my real problem is that I have way too many apps and using iTunes to manage apps individually is way too slow.

I know, first world problems. lol
Hmm, can't say for sure but I think it would be fine. From my experience, all that matters to iTunes is that it still has the app icon existing in the apps section when you sync, even if you don't have a file linked to it, so if you get your library back in there there's a chance it won't make a fuss. Likewise, when I download an app through my phone and sync it, it automatically copies the .ipa to iTunes, and if I remove the .ipa from the Mobile Applications directory it will keep the icon in the library and won't delete it from the device in following syncs.

!

Hopefully they won't change it haha, it's an integral part for me to keep my SSD free without having to keep a big local backup, and I'm really anal about keeping a backup of my apps due to some problems I had with my Apple ID some time ago (region-related changes, App Store launching in my country, credit card not being accepted in the store I used before, managing more than one account, that sort of stuff). Maybe the apps library works differently because you can only have apps from the App Store and can't add any from other sources, I don't know.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Photos, PDFs and other types of big documents can take a lot of space if you use iCloud for that sort of stuff.

Hmm, can't say for sure but I think it would be fine. From my experience, all that matters to iTunes is that it still has the app icon existing in the apps section when you sync, even if you don't have a file linked to it, so if you get your library back there there's a chance it won't make a fuss. Likewise, when I download an app through my phone and sync it, it automatically copies the .ipa to iTunes, and if I remove the .ipa from the Mobile Applications directory it will keep the icon in the library and won't delete if from the device in following syncs.

Hopefully they won't change it haha, it's an integral part for me to keep my SSD free without having to keep a big local backup, and I'm really anal about keeping a backup of my apps due to some problems I had with my Apple ID some time ago (region-related changes, App Store launching in my country, credit card not being accepted in the store I used before, managing more than one account, that sort of stuff). Maybe the apps library works differently because you can only have apps from the App Store and can't add any from other sources, I don't know.

Hrm, would it be too much of an ask if I had you test it with a small app of no consequence?
Like, sync it onto the phone, delete the app from iTunes but keep the ipa, move the ipa back into iTunes, and then try to sync the phone again and see if it gives you a warning?

I probably shouldn't have deleted my library, but... c'est la vie.

Fuu

Hrm, would it be too much of an ask if I had you test it with a small app of no consequence?
Like, sync it onto the phone, delete the app from iTunes but keep the ipa, move the ipa back into iTunes, and then try to sync the phone again and see if it gives you a warning?

I probably shouldn't have deleted my library, but... c'est la vie.
Sure, I'll try it right now and post the results.

dorkimoe

Is this a bug? When i get a text message while im using the phone texting a different person or browsing the internet, the notification bar scrolls down on the top but it doesnt go away, it stays there forever until i back out of the text or whatever

Anyone? I feel like I'm going to do a restore or something. The banners aren't going away for texts. They do email though

Anyone have the problem, when playing a podcast via the new podcasts app and you unplug your headphones it still keeps playing ?

Really really hate the new podcast app.

Top Bottom