• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

railGUN

Banned
Late to the iOS6 party.

Loving the dumb,arbitrary changes. Music app? Let's make it ugly! Tired of the convenience of seeing numerous results at once in the app store? One at a time, with slow scrolling! Maps too slow? Our new maps are blazing fast! And 10 times worse in every other aspect.

I'm progressively more and more worried about post-Jobs Apple.

When you search? I see 4 full items and the top of 2 more, and the scrolling is fine.

Jobiensis

siri has been bad since the release of iphone 5. Haven't been able to get it to work.. probably due to the congestion of people trying it out.

having no offline mode is mindboggling especially when the old voice control when you disable siri WORKS OFFLINE!

IMO simple things like calling or setting an alarm should all be able to be done without the internet.

Voice recognition is one of those things that high success rate is imperative. Even having it work 90% of the time is still unacceptable.. and it's frustrating especially when most of the issues are server based, and not siri itself. When it works, it's great.

Agree, although I don't ever recall Siri working that well, it runs about 60% success rate for me. New one I've been getting lately is

Me: Send text to my wife that I am leaving now.
Siri: Here is your message to Marianne, 'I am leaving now', ready to send?
Me: Yes
Siri: I don't know who your wife is

Part of the advantage of doing it server side would be that you could constantly improve on it, but Apple doesn't do that. The only thing it does well is set appointments, trying to send a long text is awful.

I've also noticed that Google Latitude drains the battery under iOS6, looks like it is constantly using the GPS now.

When you search? I see 4 full items and the top of 2 more, and the scrolling is fine.
Your App Store must not be fully updated then, or something. The new design is this pos

App-Store-Search-iPhone-iOS-6.jpg

Future

Your App Store must not be fully updated then, or something. The new design is this pos

App-Store-Search-iPhone-iOS-6.jpg

Yeah I don't even understand this change. How is seeing less results better for anyone. For developers, smaller chance your app is seen. For apple, less chance user finds what he wants and makes a purchase. Of course for the user it sucks. It's the one change that is just baffling in every way

Sarye

Agree, although I don't ever recall Siri working that well, it runs about 60% success rate for me. New one I've been getting lately is

Me: Send text to my wife that I am leaving now.
Siri: Here is your message to Marianne, 'I am leaving now', ready to send?
Me: Yes
Siri: I don't know who your wife is

Part of the advantage of doing it server side would be that you could constantly improve on it, but Apple doesn't do that. The only thing it does well is set appointments, trying to send a long text is awful.

I've also noticed that Google Latitude drains the battery under iOS6, looks like it is constantly using the GPS now.

That's pretty hilarious. I do it in steps and my hang up is always at the end when siri says, "here is your message, ready to send it?" and I'll say, "send message" instead of "send" or "yes". siri interprets send message as a new message and I lose what I had previous. Mostly a problem with me but it is infuriating nevertheless.

tmdorsey

If I have an iPhone 4, is it worth updating to iOS 6 or should I just stay on 5.1?

When I updated my 4 to iOS 6 everything felt much snapper and smoother. It also was worth it for Do Not Disturb.

If you rely on Maps alot, depending on your location, it might not be worth it.

noah111

Still Alive
That's actually how it was originally but they changed it in an update.

I didn't know that they changed it back. Thanks. I prefer doing it that way too.
I thought so! No wonder that way felt more natural to me.

Forstall should be canned.
If iOS 7 doesn't deliver on actual innovation, then I don't know wtf he's even doing at this point.

And i'm still waiting for iPad iOS to get a revamp. At this point, apart from a few advantages like brightness in the switcher, software-wise my iPad is literally just an iPod XL. Anyone have that pic of the chart Jobs had put up at the iPad reveal with the "?" in-between the iPhone and MBP? Hardware-wise it's in the middle of those two as shown, but from a software standpoint it's still not there.

but from a software standpoint it's still not there.

OS != Software.

Open Tweetbot, Safari or, hell, Music. They are making use of the space.
Yes, the OS could use some work, but let's not discount the fact that apps DO take advantage of the screen space.

That being said, I, of course, agree with the general sentiment, but let's not get carried away here.

MrMephistoX

Not sure if I'm missing something obvious here but is there no easy way to copy over albums created on the iphone back over to a Mac or PC? I'd be willing to try a paid solution but this seems really backward on Apple's part.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Yeah I don't even understand this change. How is seeing less results better for anyone. For developers, smaller chance your app is seen. For apple, less chance user finds what he wants and makes a purchase. Of course for the user it sucks. It's the one change that is just baffling in every way

Yeah, I actually like the featured page, but the search should have a toggle between this view, and a list view.

Particle Physicist

Not sure if I'm missing something obvious here but is there no easy way to copy over albums created on the iphone back over to a Mac or PC? I'd be willing to try a paid solution but this seems really backward on Apple's part.

It's been that way since forever, I believe it was part of some deal with the music companies, but there are definitely several programs you can use. I'm not sure on the PC, but Senuti used to be pretty good on the mac. I haven't used it in a while though, and I believe it may be a paid app now.

Been days now and my battery life is still shit. Been all through my phone trying to figure out why its draining so fast with no answer. Im just going to assume now that its a major issue in iOS6 and ill have to wait for a fix. :/

noah111

Still Alive
Not really. You actually get to see more of each app, so you're forced to look at the app rating and picture preview of each search result . If anything, that's better for a developer because more of their app is seen.

The only issue is when a user inputs a more vague type of search (like 'space') and gets 5k results, there's no way you're going to be able to cycle through anywhere near that total, whereas with a list of icons it would be more feasible.

They definitely need to have two viewing modes, with the 'top hits' being displayed in the current view and the rest just being the natural icon list. Or they could just remove/restrain the pagination animation so you could scroll through the cards faster, and it'd be more or less the same as before. OR (lol) perhaps use something like iBooks' dots on the bottom which you could scroll through. But I personally wouldn't want the cards view eliminated entirely, since it definitely has its advantages as well.

PS. So far I haven't experienced any glitches with the app store on my iPhone 4, like I was in the beta.

Vyer

Been days now and my battery life is still shit. Been all through my phone trying to figure out why its draining so fast with no answer. Im just going to assume now that its a major issue in iOS6 and ill have to wait for a fix. :/

I would switch the phone, maybe a problem with the unit

noah111

Still Alive
OS != Software.

Open Tweetbot, Safari or, hell, Music. They are making use of the space.
Yes, the OS could use some work, but let's not discount the fact that apps DO take advantage of the screen space.

That being said, I, of course, agree with the general sentiment, but let's not get carried away here.
I meant software purely as opposed to hardware, not the actual software of apps. ;p In that regard, OS =/= Software. Windows Vista has plenty of great applications you can use and enjoy, but it doesn't make Vista any less shitty of an experience.

Of course the apps are going to take advantage of the screen space. That isn't something to applaud (unless done in an igneous way, which is rare), as I see that as a given. But i'm speaking more to iOS than apps.

Next to nothing is 'unique' to iOS on the iPad oppose to iOS on an iPhone. The lock screen is just enlarged, the splotlight search is simply stretched out, the folders just fit more apps, the notification center is literally iPhone-sized in width. Hell, even with the mot recent inclusion, Siri, it's implemented as an afterthought; A pop-up window that literally looks like you put an iPhone's Siri display in a small overlay box on iPad's OS. :lol I was half expecting a little 'x2' bubble in the bottom right of the siri display for double pixel viewing.

They could do so much more with the iPad (iOS-wise) if they were just willing to deviate a little from the mobile version, as they do with its apps. I guess my point is just that, while the hardware may be at the cross roads between a MB and an iPhone, the OS still isn't. Not even close.

They could do so much more with the iPad (iOS-wise) if they were just willing to deviate a little from the mobile version, as they do with its apps. I guess my point is just that, while the hardware may be at the cross roads between a MB and an iPhone, the OS still isn't. Not even close.

Yes, that's true and anyone to argue otherwise deserved to be labelled a fanboy.

Still, dat Safari, right?

Mairu

Not really. You actually get to see more of each app, so you're forced to look at the app rating and picture preview of each search result . If anything, that's better for a developer because more of their app is seen.

The only issue is when a user inputs a more vague type of search (like 'space') and gets 5k results, there's no way you're going to be able to cycle through anywhere near that total, whereas with a list of icons it would be more feasible.

They definitely need to have two viewing modes, with the 'top hits' being displayed in the current view and the rest just being the natural icon list. Or they could just remove/restrain the pagination animation so you could scroll through the cards faster, and it'd be more or less the same as before. OR (lol) perhaps use something like iBooks' dots on the bottom which you could scroll through. But I personally wouldn't want the cards view eliminated entirely, since it definitely has its advantages as well.

PS. So far I haven't experienced any glitches with the app store on my iPhone 4, like I was in the beta.

You have got to be kidding me if seeing one screenshot for one app is better than seeing 5-6 apps for one search O_O

You have got to be kidding me if seeing one screenshot for one app is better than seeing 5-6 apps for one search O_O

I'd wager that more often than not, you're looking for a specific app, i.e. Facebook, and you don't want a list of all apps that have something to do Facebook.

I personally see it as a detriment, especially for less established apps, as the top stop is now something akin to a page rank in Google.

Sarye

Sorry should have been more clear, this is on my 4s which ive had since launch. Didnt experience any issues prior to updating to iOS6.

my battery has been fine.. didn't notice any difference in upgrading (I'm on 4s as well) only suggestion I can give is back up and restore. Did you do OTA update? I manually updated mine and did a full backup->restore if this helps.

So is the browser speed improvement because of improved performance or because Safari is now caching POSTs (agains the HTTP recommendation)? A friend was complaining that he had to make changes to his webapp.

my battery has been fine.. didn't notice any difference in upgrading (I'm on 4s as well) only suggestion I can give is back up and restore. Did you do OTA update? I manually updated mine and did a full backup->restore if this helps.

I updated mine via PC, ill try a backup and restore when I get home from work tonight.

I think Apple missed out on an opportunity to make the Maps app unique in one way. They should allow you to trace your own path on Maps with your finger. No GPS application will get the fastest or most ideal path for your situation. If you could trace your route and have Maps check if the pathways are valid, that would have been pretty neat.

Angst

I think Apple missed out on an opportunity to make the Maps app unique in one way. They should allow you to trace your own path on Maps with your finger. No GPS application will get the fastest or most ideal bath for your situation. If you could trace your route and have Maps check if the pathways are valid, that would have been pretty neat.
Good idea, forwarding to the Google maps team!

Particle Physicist

How does something like this happen? lol

532222_10151235401428523_944981158_n.jpg

That image is just weird. It says first of 3 suggestions, but you don't see the other alternate paths like you usually do. Maybe a strange glitch? Or the blocks might be screwed up in the data.

Also, I noticed, no 3D button. I'm so glad I haven't had any problems like this in Chicago! lol

buhdeh

That image is just weird. It says first of 3 suggestions, but you don't see the other alternate paths like you usually do. Maybe a strange glitch? Or the blocks might be screwed up in the data.

Also, I noticed, no 3D button. I'm so glad I haven't had any problems like this in Chicago! lol

Strange. I'll try it on my iPad when I get home.

noah111

Still Alive
I was referring to what could be better for a developer, which was what I quoted. You get to see a screenshot of the app in action without having to actually navigate into that app, which makes is a benefit for them. I'm not saying I don't want a list view, though. :p Well, I take that back, if they would make it scroll fluidly left/right without pagination, I wouldn't mind the card view at all. It would be more or less the same, far as speed goes.

Yes, that's true and anyone to argue otherwise deserved to be labelled a fanboy.

Still, dat Safari, right?
KvONZ.gif

hyp

Admittedly, no, but it will be a bit more difficult when I need to use the pin for the other end of the directions. Obviously, I can just figure out a difference of 4 miles as well, but yeah, fix it, Apple.

create a bookmark of the pin's location?

giga

One sweet benefit of the maps being vector data instead of tiles is that the map caching works really well when you have no wifi or data. I was browsing through midtown Atlanta before hand, but even after I lost signal, almost all the places in midtown I had gone through were still there--street names, POIs, etc.

Zooming in to maps with no data signal, but the content was still cached:

giga

One sweet benefit of the maps being vector data instead of tiles is that the map caching works really well when you have no wifi or data. I was browsing through midtown Atlanta before hand, but even after I lost signal, almost all the places in midtown I had gone through were still there--street names, POIs, etc.

Same concept, but with the iPad. No, I don't know why I was looking at Newcastle, Australia.

noah111

Still Alive

Yeah, i've definitely noticed this as well. It even works with flyover, assuming you already viewed a given area in 3D, it'll just work as clearly as before;

I went from viewing Houston in 3D to Toronto, then closing the app and trying it again, and it still worked just fine.

SuperPac

Weird that's about a block away from where I used to live and 3 from where I work. :O

Downhome

I am ready to rage over the idiotic change to the iTunes/Podcasts apps. Everything worked just fine for me, just perfect, before the geniuses decided to make changes and it's all broken now, it's rubbish, just trash. I feel like my iPhone 4 is some sort of aftermarket iPhone ripoff product now. That's pretty much how it is functioning for me.

well that sounds awesome, but Podcasts.app won't even download any podcasts, it just sits at preparing to download and then gives me an error. It was working fine in iOS5 so its either the new iTunes store or the Podcasts update

That is exactly what the downloads do for me. The app has a mind of its own. It sits there preparing then gives me an error. Then out of the blue sometimes it will start downloading, but after sitting there in the queue for hours. The icons are frustratingly unresponsive as well. It works when it decides to work, and not a moment sooner. Right now the last one I tried to download, it finally said completed, and it is in the list, but it downloaded the first 14 seconds and that's it...out of an hour and a half podcast. And now I can't redownload it for some reason. Ridiculous.

I use my iPhone every single day to listen to podcasts while I'm at work doing this and that and it has always worked just fine. I even have a single ear earbud with mic/play functions to make things go that much more smoothly for me but what they have done has come close to flat out ruining it all. I know, white people/first world problems some of you will say, blah blah blah, but it doesn't change that I'm pissed off over this.

Will deleting the God awful podcast app delete all of my downloaded podcasts as well? I just tried but it said that by deleting the app would delete all data associated with it and I really don't want to lose all of my downloads. Would I then be able to download things from iTunes and listen to the podcasts in the normal player? I know the "trick" to do so but I shouldn't have to do that in the first place.

And don't get me started on other awful changes they made with iOS 6. I could go on and on.

The worst thing of all is that something changed on my phone and it skyrocketed my data usage. I have a 2GB plan I believe, and I never use anywhere close to that. I have rarely, it ever, hit 1GB in the year plus that I've had my iPhone. I only paid for the 2GB plan to have a buffer...just in case. Well right after I upgraded to iOS 6 my data usage skyrocketed for some reason, I can't figure out why, and this morning I woke up to the text from AT&T that I have far surpassed my 2GB limit and have been charged the fee for the extra 1GB. I did call them and they put a $25 credit on my account, I assume they have heard from others, but it still pisses me off. I haven't read this thread but I'm fairly certain that the update made automatic changes to certain settings because I had to go in here a little while ago and turn things off that were never on before, and vice versa.

Worst. Update. Ever.

Here is what it always does no matter what I download. I've been trying to get this one all afternoon!!!

lztss.png

Happy to report wifi has been broken for me since iOS 6. I can use wifi on networks that either don't ask for anything and connect automatically or networks I put in a password. Anything where a screen would pop and you would have to agree to terms, it doesn't work now. On my iPhone 5 and new iPad

It just works right?

Link

The Autumn Wind
create a bookmark of the pin's location?
Yeah, that's what I did. Truthfully, I didn't even know that could be done, so some good came from having that issue.

Interestingly enough, I managed to fix the issue by adding "th" to my street number in my saved address. Not sure why that's what caused the problem, but it's all good now.

Top Bottom