• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Do you want Apple Maps?

Do you want to keep your Google Maps?

answers may vary..

but I recommend you update your iPad 3, and see how you feel about the iPhone after a couple days of using your iPad w/iOS6.

dyls

I have an iPhone 4S and an iPad 3, should I bother upgrading? I'm hearing mixed reviews.

Edit: thought you were talking about upgrading to a 5.

I really like iOS 6, but others seem to hate nearly every aspect. Maybe play around with a friends's who's already been upgraded?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If there's one thing I don't like about iOS it's that apps don't seem to have control over decrementing a notification number. i.e. the red number on an icon.

For instance, FaceBook and Twitter. If I get a reply to something, and I check that site on any of my devices, the number will clear there, but will remain on my other devices. Now I have an Air, an iPhone and an iPad. When I get a reply notification it appears on all three devices. With ML even on my Notifications list. But I then have to clear it manually on the other two once I check on one.

Would be really nice if at least the Twitter and FaceBook frameworks (Now that they're integrated in iOS and OS X) could be modified to know when you have checked this stuff, or update themselves to the actual number of notices on the actual websites. And could clear itself when I open the apps or website on another device.

Silly really. Minor inconvenience, but silly oversight. And could easily be a special case handle since Apple could control it directly. Unless apps have no way of emptying their number without opening the app? Apple should just make a way.

Cloudy

Banned
I'm also curious. I went to make a card for my Best Buy account but it asked for my login credentials so I chose not to continue.

I looked into it some more and it's being run by an Apple developer. You also don't need to make an account to make passes. I made a kroger card just now. Will do bestbuy next :p

:lol I still think they should just put them in the switcher, replace the volume bar page with toggles and you're set. Just seems more appropriate than having one toggle there and the rest in NC..

The thing is the NC has a lot of empty space. The switcher is cramped as it is, adding more stuff to scroll through doesn't strike me as the better option. Plus bringing down the NC is much easier than bringing up the multitask bar once your iPhone is a year od and the button has gone to hell.

The thing is the NC has a lot of empty space. The switcher is cramped as it is, adding more stuff to scroll through doesn't strike me as the better option. Plus bringing down the NC is much easier than bringing up the multitask bar once your iPhone is a year od and the button has gone to hell.

There's no reason for the multitasking bar to be as small as it is though. It's not like the rest of the screen is usable when it's up so they may as well make it double or triple the height so that you don't need to scroll as much.

There's no reason for the multitasking bar to be as small as it is though. It's not like the rest of the screen is usable when it's up so they may as well make it double or triple the height so that you don't need to scroll as much.

I can't argue with this logic.

If I could bring that bar up with a gesture rather than double tapping home than either option is fine to me.

I can't argue with this logic.

If I could bring that bar up with a gesture rather than double tapping home than either option is fine to me.

I agree with that. Also, it seems strange that a company that hates buttons as much as Apple would rely on the one physical button for such an integral feature.

SeanR1221

How am I so lttp on iTunes U? I'm amazed at all the lectures I can access. It's nice you can stream the video, because downloading some of these lessons would take up what little space I have left.

noah111

Still Alive
Maybe your NC. :p Plus you say 'more stuff to scroll through', but when there's a list of notifications I would have to scroll through them to get to the toggles anyway. Or as others proposed, swipe to a different page of NC. Or would the toggles just be at top? With the weather and social buttons already leaving less space to view my actual notifications, I wouldn't want toggles crammed up top either tbh. But I digress, as I get what you mean about the swipe. The switcher most definitely needs to be accessible using a simple swipe up. That's the only real fault of the switcher in terms of accessibility vs the NC.

mrkgoo

I agree with that. Also, it seems strange that a company that hates buttons as much as Apple would rely on the one physical button for such an integral feature.

I think it makes total sense. You only have one button, so it works for the most integral stuff - basically system wide stuff that needs to be accessed within any app.

A system wide gesture to get to multitask bar would take away that gesture for apps, ala iPad.

And non-system wide gesture would be inconsistent.

Maybe your NC. :p Plus you say 'more stuff to scroll through', but when there's a list of notifications I would have to scroll through them to get to the toggles anyway. Or as others proposed, swipe to a different page of NC. Or would the toggles just be at top? With the weather and social buttons already leaving less space to view my actual notifications, I wouldn't want toggles crammed up top either tbh. But I digress, as I get what you mean about the swipe. The switcher most definitely needs to be accessible using a simple swipe up. That's the only real fault of the switcher in terms of accessibility vs the NC.

I still want NC to have a timeline view like other JB solutions have.

noah111

Still Alive
I still want NC to have a timeline view like other JB solutions have.
Enlighten me? Not sure what a timeline view is exactly, or the JB tweaks which offer that.

I think it makes total sense. You only have one button, so it works for the most integral stuff - basically system wide stuff that needs to be accessed within any app.

A system wide gesture to get to multitask bar would take away that gesture for apps, ala iPad.

And non-system wide gesture would be inconsistent.
Do you know how it works with NC? There's no reason the exact same concept couldn't be applied to accessing the switcher.

Enlighten me? Not sure what a timeline view is exactly, or the JB tweaks which offer that.

Do you know how it works with NC? There's no reason the exact same concept couldn't be applied to accessing the switcher.

The way NC works on Mountain Lion, you have to start your swipe from outside of the trackpad, gives me hope that this will eventually happen.

Majine

Banned
Why does my phone always have the location "arrow" icon on at all times? Even when I close all apps, it's still there. Doesn't that feature drain the battery? I still like it (so I don't want to turn it off from every app in the settings), but what's the point of having it on when I'm not using any app?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Why does my phone always have the location "arrow" icon on at all times? Even when I close all apps, it's still there. Doesn't that feature drain the battery? I still like it (so I don't want to turn it off from every app in the settings), but what's the point of having it on when I'm not using any app?

System services? Could be time zone check, compass calibration, traffic info, or any number of other settings that have used the location services recently. You can see which in the Settings.

Garou

You most likely have a location based reminder on, or you have activated the setting to display the arrow at all times.

Majine

Banned
System services? Could be time zone check, compass calibration, traffic info, or any number of other settings that have used the location services recently. You can see which in the Settings.

Unchecked everything in system services, arrow still there. I don't mind it if it just means that locations settings are turned on, but if it's always checking my location regardless it kinda sucks when I run out of juice eventually.

jts

...hate me...
I'm on iPad 3 and I can't seem to go into 3D view on maps. Right above the Empire State Building, I press the 3D button or swipe with 2 fingers, and it keeps being a 2D plane.

Not sure what am I doing wrong?

LCfiner

Unchecked everything in system services, arrow still there. I don't mind it if it just means that locations settings are turned on, but if it's always checking my location regardless it kinda sucks when I run out of juice eventually.

just go into privacy > locations services and look at all apps in the list with an arrow icon next to them.

go one by one and uncheck the apps with the arrow icon in the list. see if the arrow icon disappears in the status bar. you've found the app that won't let go of the service

And I think a hollow arrow specially means a geofence so that will stay open indefinitely until you reach that spot

Majine

Banned
just go into privacy > locations services and look at all apps in the list with an arrow icon next to them.

go one by one and uncheck the apps with the arrow icon in the list. see if the arrow icon disappears in the status bar. you've found the app that won't let go of the service

And I think a hollow arrow specially means a geofence so that will stay open indefinitely until you reach that spot

Haha, oh my. Yeah, that was a painfully obvious one. But thanks, found the evil app!

grkazan12

Quick question for anyone who has knowledge about Apple's warranty system. I bought the the new iPad around the time it came out last year during March and I recently found a speck of dust under the screen. Can I still exchange for another model?

Who is Gary Whitta? Sorry for asking this :/

Also why hasn't apple fixed the Wifi problem yet. It's a pain in the butt to restart my iPad every time I'm going from one wifi network to another :(

You must be new here. ;)

He's a NeoGAF member, part of the Tested.com podcasts, and a writer.

Instead of there being simply a category with the 5 or 10 most recent events for that category, it would just display the last 50 events in chronological order. Notified Pro used to display events like that when I used that for my notification center.

noah111

Still Alive
Instead of there being simply a category with the 5 or 10 most recent events for that category, it would just display the last 50 events in chronological order. Notified Pro used to display events like that when I used that for my notification center.
Not going to lie, that sounds kind of horrible. Why not just use the 'sort by time' option? Having a permanent list of all old notifications in the NC (or just last 50 events) would be sort of counterproductive imo.

Not going to lie, that sounds kind of horrible. Why not just use the 'sort by time' option? Having a permanent list of all old notifications in the NC (or just last 50 events) would be sort of counterproductive imo.

Sort by time doesn't do it exactly as I have that now. Say you show the last 10 events per category and you get three events from three different categories, then you see the first 10 events before you get to the next event where as a timeline would show the order you got the events and you'd see the three immediately because they just happened. It's way more usable than having to scroll through all your categories to see what happened recently. It's a lot more useful in telling you what you were notified about recently rather than having to check each category. People felt this was missing from the JB solution when Apple rolled theirs out.

It says out of 5.0GB I have 3.1GB of free space, then when I select manage storage it says I have 1.8GB of backups and 426.4KB of documents and data. Can someone explain what's taking up all the space?

I got a warning about nearly using my 5gb of iCloud space, checked it out and discovered I still had iCloud backups of previous phones. Deleted 'em.

hitsugi

I wonder how long it will take Square to update their games.. since most of them broke with iOS6 D:

aside from that, I'm loving this.

mrkgoo

I assume, swipe down from top?

Hmm. Maybe that culd work too.

gblues

Banned
I cleared out the camera roll, it shows 0 photos on photostream, I recently made sure all the photos were backed up on my macbook so I could clear out icloud space

Yes, but the 1.8GB backup has your camera roll from before you emptied your phone. If you delete the backup and make a new one, it should be much smaller.

i gota say i'm freaking loving icloud tabs. I've been using it for the last hour to get links and pictures to my phone for text messages and wallpapers and other things.

Yes, but the 1.8GB backup has your camera roll from before you emptied your phone. If you delete the backup and make a new one, it should be much smaller.

thanks, if I delete that backup it won't delete anything on my phone now righT?

edit: cleared, backed up, now the free space is representative, thanks

Top Bottom