• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Shearie

and thus Apple decided it was to be so
and it was good

All hail the infinite wisdom of apples design

all heathens will die

Great statement. You convinced me. THE WAY APPLE DOES SETTINGS IS HORRIBLE!!!!! HOW ARE THESE ASSHOLES STILL IN BUSINESS??!?!!?!

LCfiner

So I guess I'm doing it wrong that I change brightness... never? I set it at around 70% then hit the auto brightness button.

Is auto brightness really working so poorly that you need to change brightness multiple times each day?

It can take more depending on what you're doing at the time. Let's not try to play down how it sucks to adjust brightness or change something when you're in the middle of an app.

Apple desperately needs to implement toggles into the notification center like in SBSettings or into the multitasking bar like with Switchy.

So I guess I'm doing it wrong that I change brightness... never? I set it at around 70% then hit the auto brightness button.

Is auto brightness really working so poorly that you need to change brightness multiple times each day?

It's not just brightness, it's WiFi, 4G/3G, AirPlane Mode, Bluetooth, etc.

Noema

Anyone have a good list of all these little things? Just got my first iPhone, and I would have never found this out on my own!

Well, the manual could be a good place to start. ;)

Here's a bunch of stuff that's new to iOS 6:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iphone_user_guide.pdf

Here's some more stuff some people might not know:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iphone_user_guide.pdf

The problem is that most of these little things have been creeping into iOS every new version and it's difficult to find a comprehensive list. I've been using iOS since 1.0 (it wasn't even called iOS back then and it barely qualified as a smartphone OS) so I've been keeping tabs on this stuff for years but for new users it might be a bit overwhelming at first.

Auto brightness works fine for the most part, but I do need to manually turn it all the way down if I want to read in the darkness when I go to bed.

Otherwise it'll burn off my retinas.

LCfiner

Apple desperately needs to implement toggles into the notification center like in SBSettings or into the multitasking bar like with Switchy.

It's not just brightness, it's WiFi, 4G/3G, AirPlane Mode, Bluetooth, etc.

I understand. I happen not to toggle those either (i leave wifi and bt on all the time and i turn on airplane mode once a year), but I can see why they'd be wanted by others.

I guess i feel that Apple got the autobrightness function working very well on the phone back at launch and it just doesn't require daily tweaking.

Now, the ipad is different. there's so much light coming off the much larger screen that brightness adjustments are more common.

Auto brightness seems to work a tad worse for me than when I had my 3G. It's mostly good but there are many instances where it's not right. The worst case scenario is when I'm in complete darkness; it's too bright and I have to turn it down or the opposite when I'm in sunlight and want to turn it all the way up.

I understand. I happen not to toggle those either (i leave wifi and bt on all the time and i turn on airplane mode once a year), but I can see why they'd be wanted by others.

I guess i feel that Apple got the autobrightness function working very well on the phone back at launch and it just doesn't require daily tweaking.

Now, the ipad is different. there's so much light coming off the much larger screen that brightness adjustments are more common.

Wait, it's the same OS, so shouldn't you understand how useful it can be not having to go to the Settings to make changes? Remember the shit storm that came up when Apple took away easy access rotation lock? It's a similar principle of ease of access. Sure they could go in the settings and change it but why should it be so annoying?

LCfiner

@Marty

I'll go back to what I said earlier. I understand how for some people, it might be a pain to go back to settings. I have felt that it's been a low priority thing for the longest time and there's been more important things for Apple to work on.

However, now that iOS 6 has shown so few meaningful tweaks to the UI (and some cosmetic regressions, as well) I now feel that adding these kind of easy access tweaks in a thoughtful manner should be something they add.

Tobor

It can take more depending on what you're doing at the time. Let's not try to play down how it sucks to adjust brightness or change something when you're in the middle of an app.

I know you'll never believe me, but I'm never playing things down. I speak to my usage needs and my use cases, but that's all.

If I say a feature missing isn't a big deal, or that adding a feature isn't needed, I'm speaking for myself, not an agenda.

EDIT: unrelated, I was told that YouTube videos don't do full screen in the web app on iPad. They are for me. Was this just changed, or did it work all along?

Raw64life

Anyone else having a problem streaming their iTunes library? When I try to do it and go to Songs it will show me every song in my library but if I try to go to Albums or Artists it just gives me an incomplete random assortment.

mrkgoo

I hardly ever change brightness or toggle my wireless settings.

I also understand there's a segment that love to micro manage these things, so I can understand wanting to do so very quickly.

I imagine, however, that average joe probably doesn't care. Except perhaps brightness.

Quick

Banned
I now have a grand total of ONE Passbook(s) pass(es). Cineplex updated their app to add the ability to put my Scene card on Passbook.

Starbucks is apparently updating before the end of the month, I'm hoping that includes the Starbucks Canada app, as well.

Mairu

Some features such as the panorama mode, being able to access audio controls from the lock screen, etc users do care about and are more globally appreciated than other features. All features aren't created equal.

"People care more about the features that exist than the features that don't exist."

Well no shit.

My iPhone will pretty much run out of battery if I leave it at above 50% brightness for a day, so I bring it down when I'm indoors and raise it when I'm in sunlight. This was a lot easier when I had sbsettings in my notification centre.

I really, really don't understand the argument against options. The iBooks app has a toggle for adjusting brightness when presumably you're going to not be moving or suffering from changing light sources while reading, so I don't even understand what criterion Apple is sticking to when deciding people should need to access brightness controls. Same with my iPad. I need to adjust my iPad brightness a lot less than my iPhone, but bam, the iPad just puts that functionality in an easy to reach place and the iPhone doesn't.

I'm really pretty happy with iOS overall, I certainly don't require all the customisable stuff Android has, but the jailbreak community has established tweeks that have been offering superior interface choices for months and years. It makes SO much more sense to slide your finger up to bring up the multitask bar than it does to double tap home. It just feels like Apple are afraid to make any change unless they feel they absolutely have to (notification centre, for example)

MasLegio

Banned
My iPhone will pretty much run out of battery if I leave it at above 50% brightness for a day, so I bring it down when I'm indoors and raise it when I'm in sunlight. This was a lot easier when I had sbsettings in my notification centre.

I really, really don't understand the argument against options. The iBooks app has a toggle for adjusting brightness when presumably you're going to not be moving or suffering from changing light sources while reading, so I don't even understand what criterion Apple is sticking to when deciding people should need to access brightness controls. Same with my iPad. I need to adjust my iPad brightness a lot less than my iPhone, but bam, the iPad just puts that functionality in an easy to reach place and the iPhone doesn't.

I'm really pretty happy with iOS overall, I certainly don't require all the customisable stuff Android has, but the jailbreak community has established tweeks that have been offering superior interface choices for months and years. It makes SO much more sense to slide your finger up to bring up the multitask bar than it does to double tap home. It just feels like Apple are afraid to make any change unless they feel they absolutely have to (notification centre, for example)

Watch out for the inquisition

dyls

Auto brightness as it is now will do exactly that for you. You can watch it move the slider from max to min as you go from outdoors to a dark room. It really is significantly improved from older iOS', imo.

Auto brightness as it is now will do exactly that for you. You can watch it move the slider from max to min as you go from outdoors to a dark room. It really is significantly improved from older iOS', imo.

I've always had auto brightness enabled and still found I need to turn the brightness down more than it automatically does.

I stream the radio a lot and use GPS on my way home so I run through a lot of battery, so I really keep my brightness as low as possible most the time. Auto brightness tends to favour more of a middle ground.

The iBooks app has a toggle for adjusting brightness when presumably you're going to not be moving or suffering from changing light sources while reading, so I don't even understand what criterion Apple is sticking to when deciding people should need to access brightness controls.
Because of the backlight being bad for reading. It's expected you will drop it as low as you can handle there.

Jubern

That's similar to the ancient system messages that Softbank users used to get in 2009

eg.

3321735539_907933329a.jpg

No idea what the :) face signifies though.

It's actually still the same. A friend bought a 4S not too long ago here and it displays this message every time she gets a mail.

MasLegio

Banned

is it much better in iOS6 than in iOS5?

have not upgraded yet but might do it because of this.

Autobrightness is shit in iOS5, too slow and sometimes not at all. I almost always have to set brightness manually when going out into the dark night.

I love Apple and all, but I can't believe people are arguing against adding the choice of having buttons

Its probably the smae people who said they there's no need to add a notification centre or a larger screen

Yes iOS needs toggles. Put it in the notifications blind. Simple

noah111

Still Alive
Yes iOS needs toggles. Put it in the notifications blind. Simple
It really has no place being in the notification center, as it has nothing to do with notifications. The only thing that would make sense putting up there is the do not disturb mode, similarly to how it works on ML OS X. Why would a bluetooth toggle be up there? Or an LTE toggle? The only toggle we have on iOS right now is the orientation lock toggle (or mute for iPad), and that is in the switcher. That's where new toggles would ideally be.

Quick

Banned
Ditto on toggles being in the switcher and DND switch being in notification center.

I tried out the toggles on notification center via jailbreak, and it just looks overwhelming and generally crappy looking (though, that's more of the designs of the icons, no matter what pack you use).

It really has no place being in the notification center, as it has nothing to do with notifications. The only thing that would make sense putting up there is the do not disturb mode, similarly to how it works on ML OS X. Why would a bluetooth toggle be up there? Or an LTE toggle? The only toggle we have on iOS right now is the orientation lock toggle (or mute for iPad), and that is in the switcher. That's where new toggles would ideally be.

Why is a rotation lock in the multitask bar?

Weather is in the notification centre and in reality, weather isn't something one is "notified" of. It displays a forecast for 5 days or the current weather. In no situation is that really a notification.

You're not reading line by line, left to right for hours in Safari.

This has been talked about for a decade. There are official threads about backlights and reading.

I read a lot in Safari.

I'm not denying there's a need to adjust brightness when reading, I'm arguing iBooks is not the only app where one reads for a prolonged period. A constant brightness toggle always feels necessary to me.

noah111

Still Alive
Why is a rotation lock in the multitask bar?

Weather is in the notification centre and in reality, weather isn't something one is "notified" of. It displays a forecast for 5 days or the current weather. In no situation is that really a notification.
How does that not fit in? Notification center is where informing/alerting. Weather and stocks are definitely informing the user, so they fall in line with that concept.

The twitter tweet and facebook post buttons are there for similar reasons, except you're the one doing the pinging. Plus that's an obvious place to put them, right next to people's twitter/fb notifications anyway.

As for the rotation lock though, that's simply there because that's where other controls, both playback and system/settings controls, have been placed. Such as volume or brightness bars (on iPad).

I read a lot in Safari.

I'm not denying there's a need to adjust brightness when reading, I'm arguing iBooks is not the only app where one reads for a prolonged period. A constant brightness toggle always feels necessary to me.
Are you talking about Safari on iPad or iPhone? On iPad they have the brightness controls in the switcher. I never understood why they don't do the same on the iPhone.

Jubern

I don't think you can without deleting the preinstalled SoftBank email profile in settings > general > profiles.
But doing so would most likely make it impossible to use your @i.softbank.jp/@softbank.ne.jp address anymore, so yeah....

How does that not fit in? Notification center is where informing/alerting. Weather and stocks are definitely informing the user, so they fall in line with that concept.

The twitter tweet and facebook post buttons are there for similar reasons, except you're the one doing the pinging. Plus that's an obvious place to put them, right next to people's twitter/fb notifications anyway.

As for the rotation lock though, that's simply there because that's where other controls, both playback and system/settings controls, have been placed. Such as volume or brightness bars (on iPad).

Are you talking about Safari on iPad or iPhone? On iPad they have the brightness controls in the switcher. I never understood why they don't do the same on the iPhone.

It doesn't fit in because the point of the notification centre is to house the notifications that drop down but you miss. Don't get me wrong, I don't want them removed from there, I just think it's overly semantic to claim some buttons can't be out in there because of a name that doesn't even really fit the purpose of the drop down menu.

And yeah, I'm talking iPhone.

noah111

Still Alive
It doesn't fit in because the point of the notification centre is to house the notifications that drop down but you miss. Don't get me wrong, I don't want them removed from there, I just think it's overly semantic to claim some buttons can't be out in there because of a name that doesn't even really fit the purpose of the drop down menu.
I'm not saying I don't want them there, i'm just saying if Apple were to implement them that I doubt they would be placed there, as they don't fit. The weather and stocks widgets do fit inline with NC's purpose, which is to inform. A bluetooth or LTE toggle are unrelated to that purpose. That's not really semantics tbh.

Well they should change the purpose of the notification centre to be "useful shit you can look at without leaving an app" rather than "quick access to a weather forecast and a list of notifications". Apple please.

Just the same way that the Facebook or twitter buttons are in there.

Where it can be, is a swipe left of the stocks/weather/upmost icons in the notification centre which will reveal them.

To be honest it's a minor where they are located, they just need to be somewhere more instantly available that what we currently have IMO. I personally think it should go where the brightness/volume is on the multitask toolbar

Oh wait, but changing 4G isn't a multitasking option, right????

noah111

Still Alive
Well they should change the purpose of the notification centre to be "useful shit you can look at without leaving an app" rather than "quick access to a weather forecast and a list of notifications". Apple please.
:lol I still think they should just put them in the switcher, replace the volume bar page with toggles and you're set. Just seems more appropriate than having one toggle there and the rest in NC.

Also, anyone else hate how for you to start using dictation you need to bring up the entire keyboard first? I don't get why they can't put a small discrete dictation button in the text field or search bar, that disappears if you decide to bring up the keyboard and start typing instead. It would be so much faster that way where i'd actually start using it more.

^:lol I still think they should just put them in the switcher, replace the volume bar page with toggles and you're set. Just seems more appropriate than having one toggle there and the rest in NC.

Also, anyone else hate how for you to start using dictation you need to bring up the entire keyboard first? I don't get why they can't put a small discrete dictation button in the text field or search bar, that disappears if you decide to bring up the keyboard and start typing instead. It would be so much faster that way where i'd actually start using it more.

We agree! Minus my stealth edit lol

I do agree with your second point too, also the button is so damn small sometimes I forget I want to even voice talk and just end up typing

But thank GOD they defaulted the cursor in the address bar rather than the search bar when opening new tabs

Future

Just the same way that the Facebook or twitter buttons are in there.

Where it can be, is a swipe left of the stocks/weather/upmost icons in the notification centre which will reveal them.

To be honest it's a minor where they are located, they just need to be somewhere more instantly available that what we currently have IMO. I personally think it should go where the brightness/volume is on the multitask toolbar

Oh wait, but changing 4G isn't a multitasking option, right????

I think it is. iPod controls are there too, because you typically mess with that while messing with other apps. Toggling wifi and radio fits here

I still doubt that changing 4g or Bluetooth is really something done enough that it needs to be anywhere but in settings, but if buttons were to be put anywhere i think that area is perfect. A long time ago I thought they could just let you swipe upward on that multitasking bar to reveal more shortcuts like this

I think it is. iPod controls are there too, because you typically mess with that while messing with other apps. Toggling wifi and radio fits here

I still doubt that changing 4g or Bluetooth is really something done enough that it needs to be anywhere but in settings, but if buttons were to be put anywhere i think that area is perfect. A long time ago I thought they could just let you swipe upward on that multitasking bar to reveal more shortcuts like this

I can easily see where bluetooth will be needed especially when I have a BT car system, and I leave the car and walk into the office, I don't want it draining battery when I'm not using it

Fair dues with 4G, we don't have that in the UK yet, get at least BT, wifi, Do Not Disturb and a few other things can be useful in there

noah111

Still Alive
We agree! Minus my stealth edit lol

I do agree with your second point too, also the button is so damn small sometimes I forget I want to even voice talk and just end up typing

But thank GOD they defaulted the cursor in the address bar rather than the search bar when opening new tabs
Sorry, I posted before I saw your post so I was actually talking to greatdivide. ;p But yeah, dictation works really good imo so they should emphasize it more.

And I didn't even notice that they finally changed that! It was a huge annoyance, esp. on my iPad, surprised I didn't noticed they fixed it.

John_B

While caution is warranted, it might just be a benign flash SMS as well. From whom is anyone's guess...
Turns out this was the case. A friend had sold his iPhone while waiting for the new one. Using some old Nokia phone he send me a flash message because he didn't know how to text with the thing.

noah111

Still Alive

While we're on this topic, might as well post the mockup I did a while back. Goal of it was to show how a two-page switcher tray as we currently have could fit the long overdue brightness controls, and toggles.

iOS 6 said:

iOS concept said:

It's basically just based off of the iPad's switcher, but condensed;

LGXmsl.jpg

Tobor

I don't like the circular controls. Too small, looks hard to activate properly.

Having the brightness in a second row would work, I guess, but the row should be connected. It looks funky halfway up the screen.

More realistically, it would be another row, at the normal height. Swipe one more time for the settings buttons, in other words.

noah111

Still Alive
I don't like the circular controls. Too small, looks hard to activate properly.

Having the brightness in a second row would work, I guess, but the row should be connected. It looks funky halfway up the screen.

More realistically, it would be another row, at the normal height. Swipe one more time for the settings buttons, in other words.
I don't get what that means?

And they might look small, but the hit point is in almost the exact space as it is now, so there's little spacing difference in hit detection. The nobs are from the music player, so they're not smaller than usual either. Two slider bars on top of one another make it really hard to swipe back to the playback controls page (or as you proposed, another page for toggles). There's a JB tweak that just does that, and it's evident there.

Oh and having three extra pages hidden to the left for the switcher is overdoing it imo, that would sort of defeat the 'easy access' part of having toggles.

Marco1

I have an issue were I am getting notifications were I get the number at the corner of the app icon.
How do I turn these off, I have all of my notifications turned off in general settings?

Top Bottom