• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Kurdel

Banned
So that new iTunes Match and iOS 6 fucked me in the face this month.

12 gig of data on a 6 gig plan on Bell mobility, over 250$ in overages. I went through all my settings, and the only thing I could find is music streaming over 3G.

I will have to play my cards right to get those charges taken off. I work as a client care rep in a canadian service provider, and I see this all the time, but this the first time I am on the receiving end of the face fuck.

I know what gets under my skin when clients call me, and I also know what makes me want to actually help my client pay as less as possible.

noah111

Still Alive
i gota say i'm freaking loving icloud tabs. I've been using it for the last hour to get links and pictures to my phone for text messages and wallpapers and other things.
Yup, it's awesomely useful. No need for pastebot anymore, since photo stream takes care of that as well, and notes takes care of text, etc.

So that new iTunes Match and iOS 6 fucked me in the face this month.

12 gig of data on a 6 gig plan on Bell mobility, over 250$ in overages. I went through all my settings, and the only thing I could find is music streaming over 3G.

I will have to play my cards right to get those charges taken off. I work as a client care rep in a canadian service provider, and I see this all the time, but this the first time I am on the receiving end of the face fuck.

I know what gets under my skin when clients call me, and I also know what makes me want to actually help my client pay as less as possible.

this post made me check my Verizon app to check up on data usage

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I just went over today so that's $20.

Phone has been at home all weekend. Why is there data being used? I have all cell services to off.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Dammit, why did I update?

The new bar at the top being black when surfing the web makes the screen seem even more cramped.

That map icon still looks fucking dumb

The auto-brightness seems fucked up. Maybe I had it turned off and the update turned it back on?

Checking "What's new" for App updates doesn't seem to register 9/10 of the time and wants to go to the App's actual page. I like that they finally made it so free apps don't need a password anymore.

AlexMogil

Is anyone else having a problem accepting Terms and Conditions on iDevices as well as iTunes? Just keeps prompting me to accept them over and over.

Is anyone else having a problem accepting Terms and Conditions on iDevices as well as iTunes? Just keeps prompting me to accept them over and over.
Yeah it's busted. There are issues with iTunes Match as well apparently. Sounds like Apple's servers are having problems.

AlexMogil

Yeah it's busted. There are issues with iTunes Match as well apparently. Sounds like Apple's servers are having problems.

I just did a search on Apple support, lots of people having the same problem. I've just been trying to buy Minecraft today. Can't buy it on the PC, now can't buy it on iOS.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I thought my account was messed up. Glad that I'm not the only one with the agreeing over and over thing.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So I went to bed, put the iPad on my nightstand after browsing GAF and today I wake up to the message "activation required"
So I click through and it fails to activate every time and I can't use my iPad anymore. I hooked it to my mac and tried to sync it with iTunes and got

"iTunes cannot sync apps to the iPad "X's iPad" because the apps installed on the iPad could not be determined".

So I try to restore, and it gives me

"There was a problem downloading the software for the iPad "X's iPad". The requested resource was not found."

So apparently there's other people with the same issue. Any ideas on how to fix it?

So I went to bed, put the iPad on my nightstand after browsing GAF and today I wake up to the message "activation required"
So I click through and it fails to activate every time and I can't use my iPad anymore. I hooked it to my mac and tried to sync it with iTunes and got

"iTunes cannot sync apps to the iPad "X's iPad" because the apps installed on the iPad could not be determined".

So I try to restore, and it gives me

"There was a problem downloading the software for the iPad "X's iPad". The requested resource was not found."

So apparently there's other people with the same issue. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Same issues. You're going to have to wait this out until tomorrow when it probably gets fixed.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So that's what prompted 76 bloody replies to my 1 year old thread about a ToS notice never going away when signing up for iTunes Match. :D

Fucking default setting on Apple Communities being EMAIL EVERY REPLY + vibration on the iPhone at 04:29 onwards in the morning...

People in that same thread of mine have started saying "Fixed" so I assume it's fixed by now.

mrkgoo

Has it been fixed? I didn't even hear about it and just bought an app from my local appstore, no issues.

Sometimes, though, I feel Apple's pace of growth is faster than they can keep up with. It's like their model of developing stuff is finally showing its seams. Maybe I'm being biased, but it feels like bugs are much more common place.

Sure lots of bugs are in all products, but it just seems like there are some game-breaking stuff happening on most releases. The latest Aperture update had a bug that caused crashes on boot. That's pretty big bug.

Eh, maybe I'm just focusing on it too much.

Has it been fixed? I didn't even hear about it and just bought an app from my local appstore, no issues.

Sometimes, though, I feel Apple's pace of growth is faster than they can keep up with. It's like their model of developing stuff is finally showing its seams. Maybe I'm being biased, but it feels like bugs are much more common place.

Sure lots of bugs are in all products, but it just seems like there are some game-breaking stuff happening on most releases. The latest Aperture update had a bug that caused crashes on boot. That's pretty big bug.

Eh, maybe I'm just focusing on it too much.

The disciple questioning Apple. Lord forgive him!

In all honesty though, I am starting to doubt Apple. Not their ability, but decision making e.g. Maps and the skeuomorphism.

Cheebo

Banned
The disciple questioning Apple. Lord forgive him!

In all honesty though, I am starting to doubt Apple. Not their ability, but decision making e.g. Maps and the skeuomorphism.

I am not worried about Apple, or rather most of Apple. Johnny Ive still is brilliant at leading the design of Apple hardware, Bob Mansfield is still brilliant at engineering Apple hardware, Phil Schiller is still fantastic at marketing Apple products etc. But, the one thing that does worry me is Scott Forstall. He is basically unchecked running the iOS side of things. And has pretty huge ego running the division that creates the operating system running on the devices that bring Apple the vast majority of its profits. Steve Jobs clearly was a check on Forstall. Without Jobs Forstall is reminding me of mid-80's early Mac era Steve Jobs. And not in a good way. And not to mention Forstall I doubt has the gift Jobs had of instinctivly knowing what the mainsteam consumer would want.

Having no one to counter him like Jobs did with the ego of his size can quickly result with iOS no longer matching customer needs/wants and too ingrained in Forstall's ideas.

My gut feeling is Apple did not need stuff like market and consumer research to find out what consumers want/like/dislike/etc when Jobs was running the show. Because he has some insane ability to know what the consumer wants before the consumer did. But post-Jobs? I think they need to start going that more traditional route like MS, Google, etc, do.

Tobor

You guys are nuts.

Other than Cook's style of apology, I haven't seen a single decision that seems any different than Apple under Jobs.

Maybe the dividend, although I think Cook would have talked him into that as well.

Tobor

The next leapfrog product will be interesting to see, how it unfolds (It's the TV, right?)

It would have to be. There's nothing else that needs an overhaul.

A dedicated smart watch would be interesting, but that's a niche market.

Was trying out maps on my friend's iPad today. Did they get the model of Manhattan from some distant dystopian future?

kUzXy.jpg

Cheebo

Banned
You guys are nuts.

Other than Cook's style of apology, I haven't seen a single decision that seems any different than Apple under Jobs.

Maybe the dividend, although I think Cook would have talked him into that as well.

You don't get the feeling Forstall has more influence in the post-Jobs Apple?

Tobor

You don't get the feeling Forstall has more influence in the post-Jobs Apple?

I think he has the influence he should have. He's run iOS for years now, and influenced Jobs on several major policy decisions, not the least of which was the App Store itself.

giga

Pro tip: stop reading online op-eds about the executive team. Forstall was one of the main guys behind OS X (and iOS) and kicking him out for shipping a 1.0 Maps is ridiculous.

Mindwipe

Pro tip: stop reading online op-eds about the executive team. Forstall was one of the main guys behind OS X (and iOS) and kicking him out for shipping a 1.0 Maps is ridiculous.

And has done some pretty horrible things to both of them.

#TeamIve

Blackhead

Redarse
It would have to be. There's nothing else that needs an overhaul.

A dedicated smart watch would be interesting, but that's a niche market.

It's a niche market right now. Apple's whole modus operandi is supposed to be taking products from niche to mass market status.
mobile phone :: smart phone
watch :: smart watch

Tobor

It's a niche market right now. Apple's whole modus operandi is supposed to be taking products from niche to mass market status.
mobile phone :: smart phone
watch :: smart watch

I'm not sure watches are ever going to regain their past status in the market. I remember reading that watch sales were down industry wide, due to cell phones of course.

You raise a good point though. I'd certainly like to see Apple take a crack at it.

Let's be honest - even if Cook wanted to fire Forstall, there's no way he could accomplish that without creating enemies in the company. There are a few players in Apple who are above reproach and I feel Forstall is one of them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
does 'do not disturb' shut down all notifications, or only incoming messages/calls? The explanation in ios is a little vague. On ipad I'd like it to shut everything up so I can safely keep it by my bedside without having to mute it every time.

I'm not sure watches are ever going to regain their past status in the market. I remember reading that watch sales were down industry wide, due to cell phones of course.

You raise a good point though. I'd certainly like to see Apple take a crack at it.

Agreed. I'm a watch wearer anyway, but would be interested in seeing what Apple could bring to the table. I'd probably much rather have a nicely integrated smartwatch that offers real functionality than a pair of glasses like Google Glass.

Also, am I the only one who thinks of this when I hear Forstall mentioned? Different spelling, but I still think about it none the less. :)

250px-Forrestal.jpg

Tobor

does 'do not disturb' shut down all notifications, or only incoming messages/calls? The explanation in ios is a little vague. On ipad I'd like it to shut everything up so I can safely keep it by my bedside without having to mute it every time.

Yes, it silences everything except alarms.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't "shut them down" they are still pushed and recieved, but they are all silenced and nothing will light the screen up.

Hoo-doo

Banned
My iPad 2 is still completely non-functional as of this morning. Can't activate, can't update, can't restore, can't do anything.

The fuck is going on.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I love the fact that nobody seems to be talking about the fact that folders can now contain 16 apps and delta app updates are available in iOS6. It's all just maps maps maps.

Top Bottom