• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Blackhead

Redarse
Maps has a unique problem which is that it requires actual users to do the brunt of the work and reporting. They could have released it two years later but they would be confronted with the same exact problem.

In this case, as far as the strategy to rid themselves of being dependent on Google is concerned, sooner is better than later. Of course, the ultimate argument to be had is whether Apple has a cohesive plan to create a better experience than Google maps sometime down the line, because if not, then this decision stinks of corporate politics and nothing else.

Again, all the reports say experts recording and massaging the data is not secondary to user reporting. Apple might require and bank on their users to do the brunt of the work and reporting but that's a somewhat unique approach. Which doesn't even take into account that Apple's user reporting tools pale in comparison to what Google has available.

bionic77

Look in Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services (right at the bottom)
Thanks!

That was it. It was setting time zone. Fuck that. Cell phones should be able to do that automatically if you have service.

GPS is a battery killer, up there with bad reception so I don't want to use it unless I need it.

Mindwipe

Again, all the reports say experts recording and massaging the data is not secondary to user reporting. Apple might require and bank on their users to do the brunt of the work and reporting but that's a somewhat unique approach. Which doesn't even take into account that Apple's user reporting tools pale in comparison to what Google has available.

Indeed. I can't see where this myth that crowdsourcing is the primary source of map data comes from.

Most crowd corrections result in a net zero improvement, as they're actually just as likely to be wrong as right. Google basically just uses crowd data to see if it has to go and look at an area again with a streetview car.

Apple isn't going to get POI data from crowd corrections. People just don't have enough incentive to submit the data. Businesses don't have enough incentive to correct the data, as there's no way to submit them if you have no Apple kit and Apple maps reputation is so bad that it won't be used in the moderate term. Meanwhile, as a business you don't submit corrections for the most part to be right in Google Maps - you submit them because they have to be right in Google, the biggest search engine in the world without which you're screwed.

Apple's crowd sourcing will always be worse than Google's, as they don't own a search engine. And given it's a tiny minority of Google's data collection, that means Apple Maps will always very, very significantly trail Google Maps.

KtSlime

You're right there. Both Google and Apple report the wrong location of my parents house, and while I could figure out how to report that on Google (web), it is only possible to do that on Apple if it is a wrongly placed POI, but maybe it is there and they have it too buried to locate.

I still think that the accuracy will be heavily dependent on crowdsourced data and not so much cartographers, I don't know how this compares to Google's method. As to problems with presenting relevant data, I think it is a combination of having to zoom in more, and simply being different than what people are used to with Google. Apple Maps feels much more hands on than the old version, like they expect you to pinch and twist to work with the maps. We'll see how it turns out, but I don't think another year of baking in the labs would have helped their position.

Google probably should have had a maps app ready, I mean certainly they would have had to of known since June, there is no excuse for why they haven't been developing their own maps app for the past 6 months, let alone the past year, Apple Maps has clearly been in the works, and most of the pundits, blogs, and rumor readers for the past year had expected it to show up in iOS 6. Seems odd that Google was the only one that didn't see it.

buhdeh

Jasmine is real nice, why don't you like it?

Too much like Alien Blue which I also dislike. Feels almost over-designed IMO. Maybe I'll give it another shot when I get home but I've already started gravitating towards using the Nexus 7 more and more.

MasLegio

Banned
You're right there. Both Google and Apple report the wrong location of my parents house, and while I could figure out how to report that on Google (web), it is only possible to do that on Apple if it is a wrongly placed POI, but maybe it is there and they have it too buried to locate.

I still think that the accuracy will be heavily dependent on crowdsourced data and not so much cartographers, I don't know how this compares to Google's method. As to problems with presenting relevant data, I think it is a combination of having to zoom in more, and simply being different than what people are used to with Google. Apple Maps feels much more hands on than the old version, like they expect you to pinch and twist to work with the maps. We'll see how it turns out, but I don't think another year of baking in the labs would have helped their position.

Google probably should have had a maps app ready, I mean certainly they would have had to of known since June, there is no excuse for why they haven't been developing their own maps app for the past 6 months, let alone the past year, Apple Maps has clearly been in the works, and most of the pundits, blogs, and rumor readers for the past year had expected it to show up in iOS 6. Seems odd that Google was the only one that didn't see it.

no excuses for google but plenty for apple....

timnich

So the voice recognition button has been grayed out on my keyboard all day. I haven't done anything to disable it and Siri is working fine. So GAF, what's up with that?
I just checked, and mine is as well. Anyone knowing what's going on?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Maps has a unique problem which is that it requires actual users to do the brunt of the work and reporting. They could have released it two years later but they would be confronted with the same exact problem.

In this case, as far as the strategy to rid themselves of being dependent on Google is concerned, sooner is better than later. Of course, the ultimate argument to be had is whether Apple has a cohesive plan to create a better experience than Google maps sometime down the line, because if not, then this decision stinks of corporate politics and nothing else.

Better for Apple. For their users, not so much. As you say, this stinks of corporate politics. It was clearly done in the best interest of Apple, and Apple alone. And does it really matter, right now, if they have a "cohesive plan to create a better experience than Google maps sometime down the line"? Sure, the promise of something better might be reassuring, but the fact is that they decided to get rid of Google prematurely at the expense of providing their users with a good maps app. That affects people all over the world right now, and can in no way be seen as "better" for anyone other than Apple (and their mapping partners, I guess).

KtSlime

no excuses for google but plenty for apple....
Where did I say this? There are things I excuse both companies on, and things I hold both accountable for. I have several misgivings about iOS 6, however Maps isn't really one of them. I feel bad for those who get poor information when using the app, however when I checked some of the places I visit using it, comparing it to the google version on my iPad OG, and the data was very much the same. Both Apple and Google got the places right, and the same places wrong, I obviously can't speak for places I haven't checked.

So yes, I excuse Apple for releasing a not fully baked map, as well as not excusing them for not releasing it as a beta. And I excuse Google for not having an iPad YouTube app ready, but not for not having maps ready. Understand?

dyls

Indeed. I can't see where this myth that crowdsourcing is the primary source of map data comes from.

Most crowd corrections result in a net zero improvement, as they're actually just as likely to be wrong as right. Google basically just uses crowd data to see if it has to go and look at an area again with a streetview car.

Apple isn't going to get POI data from crowd corrections. People just don't have enough incentive to submit the data. Businesses don't have enough incentive to correct the data, as there's no way to submit them if you have no Apple kit and Apple maps reputation is so bad that it won't be used in the moderate term. Meanwhile, as a business you don't submit corrections for the most part to be right in Google Maps - you submit them because they have to be right in Google, the biggest search engine in the world without which you're screwed.

Apple's crowd sourcing will always be worse than Google's, as they don't own a search engine. And given it's a tiny minority of Google's data collection, that means Apple Maps will always very, very significantly trail Google Maps.

Of course they do. It takes all of one minute to submit a correction and it means becoming visible to millions of users. Why in the world wouldn't they submit corrections? To teach Apple a lesson?

Argyle

Of course they do. It takes all of one minute to submit a correction and it means becoming visible to millions of users. Why in the world wouldn't they submit corrections? To teach Apple a lesson?

If I were a business owner and my info was incorrect I would suspect that today there would be no way for me to submit a correction, as I do not have an iPhone.

Have they exposed web-based tools to fix this kind of stuff yet? I don't know if there is a way to even look at the maps without an iOS device.

SuperPac

If I remember correctly Apple only said the traffic data was crowdsourced. Maybe it's because the map data comes from a number of sources - but that's not "crowdsourcing" per se.

Mindwipe

But it's not neccessarily visable to "millions" of users. Especially if footfall isn't your primary means of generating revenue - showing up in search is more important than showing up in maps.

And it doesn't take "one minute". It takes "one minute" plus "one hour" of device setup plus "several hundred pounds" to buy the device to check in the first place. Objective reality is that lots and lots and lots of businesses just won't bother. Heck, lots of businesses still use Flash, even today, and being locked out of iOS has never bothered them there.

Gattsu25

Banned
Whoa, does iOS 6 make the battery life of iPhones substantially worse?

I have a disconnected iPhone 4 (now effectively a glorified iPod Touch) that used to last over a week on battery with the screen off. I upgraded to iOS 6 last week and my phone was dead after ~3 days.

Has iOS reduced the idle battery life of phones?

Dany

Banned
Whoa, does iOS 6 make the battery life of iPhones substantially worse?

I have a disconnected iPhone 4 (now effectively a glorified iPod Touch) that used to last over a week on battery with the screen off. I upgraded to iOS 6 last week and my phone was dead after ~3 days.

Has iOS reduced the idle battery life of phones?

With my 4, the batter life returned to its normal usage after a week I'd say.

MasLegio

Banned

Please tell me how crowdsourcing will fix this:

MyWGT.jpg

2012-09-13%2011.24.15.png

noah111

Still Alive
^Those examples are not indicative of maps as a whole, at all.

They are glaring issues but are not ones you would stumble across when searching nine out of ten times for a random location, for example. If they were, i'd agree that it's unlikely to get fixed as it's a huge problem spreading across the entire app, but that's not the case. Those select issues being in the lime light alone make me inclined to believe they'll be more simply addressed.

The real daunting problems that have been affecting almost everyone in day to day usage (missing info, wrong info, etc etc), can indeed be fixed over time (or at the very least aided) through crowd sourcing.

MasLegio

Banned

^Those examples are not indicative of maps as a whole, at all.

They are glaring issues but are not ones you would stumble across when searching nine out of ten times for a random location, for example. If they were, i'd agree that it's unlikely to get fixed as it's a huge problem spreading across the entire app, but that's not the case. Those select issues being in the lime light alone make me inclined to believe they'll be more simply addressed.

The real daunting problems that have been affecting almost everyone in day to day usage (missing info, wrong info, etc etc), can indeed be fixed over time (or at the very least aided) through crowd sourcing.

no they are very common issues in Maps outside of the US. But most people, like Apple and you, are ignorant to rest of the world.

Bo-Locks

How can crowdsourcing fix anything other than POI's and a few other issues? Problems with missing villages, towns, roads and a complete lack of depth etc are not down to a lack of crowdsourcing, they're down to Apple's incompetence.

Nobody seems to know for sure how Apple even get the data for these maps. They licensed a lot of data from TomTom, who then came out and said "It's not our problem, our maps are good". Apple mish-mash data together from innumerable sources (but TomTom seem to be the main source) and have ended up with this abomination. Somebody said a few days ago that they were using OpenStreetMaps for some of the data, but I can't even seem to verify that. It's ludicrous.

OpenStreetMaps have some of the most detailed and accurate maps available throughout the entire world, along with Google Maps. It's one of the fastest growing mapping platforms available, it's entirely crowd sourced, and it's open source. Why didn't Apple just use OpenStreetMaps? Instead they have spent millions in licensing data and mish-mashing it together from dozens of different sources to produce something that is incredibly poor.

And that's just the maps, how have they licensed such shit satellite imagery without checking the quality of what they were buying? Presumably Apple can crowd-source the satellite imagery too, right?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Please tell me how crowdsourcing will fix this:

2012-09-13%2011.24.15.png

Apple's built-in report a problem feature includes the option to attach a snapshot of what you're looking at and describe whats wrong with it. Crowd sourced submissions of outdated/wrong map data is very much possible with the feature-set that's in place.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
How can crowdsourcing fix anything other than POI's and a few other issues? Problems with missing villages, towns, roads and a complete lack of depth etc are not down to a lack of crowdsourcing, they're down to Apple's incompetence.

Nobody seems to know for sure how Apple even get the data for these maps. They licensed a lot of data from TomTom, who then came out and said "It's not our problem, our maps are good". Apple mish-mash data together from innumerable sources (but TomTom seem to be the main source) and have ended up with this abomination. Somebody said a few days ago that they were using OpenStreetMaps for some of the data, but I can't even seem to verify that. It's ludicrous.

OpenStreetMaps have some of the most detailed and accurate maps available throughout the entire world, along with Google Maps. It's one of the fastest growing mapping platforms available, it's entirely crowd sourced, and it's open source. Why didn't Apple just use OpenStreetMaps? Instead they have spent millions in licensing data and mish-mashing it together from dozens of different sources to produce something that is incredibly poor.

And that's just the maps, how have they licensed such shit satellite imagery without checking the quality of what they were buying? Presumably Apple can crowd-source the satellite imagery too, right?
OSM will never reach parity with Google Maps because of how much resources Google pours into that service. OSM is still great, though, and has made massive improvements as submissions grew over the last year. perhaps Tom Tom has a better routing engine, or just more POIs in their database? OSM is used in iPhoto for OSX.

I'm itching to start a project using OSM paired with this visual design - http://content.stamen.com/toner_v2_is_live

Bo-Locks

OSM will never reach parity with Google Maps because of how much resources Google pours into that service. OSM is still great, though, and has made massive improvements as submissions grew over the last year. perhaps Tom Tom has a better routing engine, or just more POIs in their database? OSM is used in iPhoto for OSX.

I'm itching to start a project using OSM paired with this visual design - http://content.stamen.com/toner_v2_is_live

I agree in that I don't think anything will touch Google Maps for a long time, but why can't OSM be used as the base for Apple/whoever to build their platform and rival Google Maps?

In terms of raw data, the detail and the quality of the maps, I think it's right up there with Google Maps, even better than Google Maps in some instances. But OSM isn't really a "platform" per se, and so Google Maps is the default choice for most people who actually need to use maps in a real world scenario.

If OSM could continue to grow like it has been doing, and Apple can use it as its main data source, add on all the other features that they already have, then what's stopping it from rivalling Google Maps?

has anyone else been having trouble with wifi since updating?
my 4S has become notoriously unreliable in connecting with wifi's it never used to have a problem with...
o_O

Has the Consumer Reports article comparing iOS Maps and Google Maps been posted yet?
Link here.

In a nutshell, they say that while Google Maps is better and more fleshed out, iOS Maps aren't nearly as bad as a lot of reports would lead you to believe. They tested both side by side, on four different phones, and found that navigation on both systems was pretty comparable.

Rengoku

Has the Consumer Reports article comparing iOS Maps and Google Maps been posted yet?
Link here.

In a nutshell, they say that while Google Maps is better and more fleshed out, iOS Maps aren't nearly as bad as a lot of reports would lead you to believe. They tested both side by side, on four different phones, and found that navigation on both systems was pretty comparable.

Very important to point out that this test was performed in New York City.

dream

Weird. The App Store is showing me an update for an app that I not only not have installed, but I've also never even downloaded it before.

edit: ah, nevermind. It's an app that was renamed.

noah111

Still Alive
I've asked this before, but what is stopping Apple's new Maps from becoming a Mac app?

If it ever becomes up to snuff as a service, i'd love to have an app-based way to access maps on desktop, as i've never really been a fan of the web solution.

Very important to point out that this test was performed in New York City.

Which makes the test worthless and shows Consumer Reports is missing the point.

And America is a lot more than New York City

Except I've seen others on GAF post that iOS maps were crap for navigating in New York. This report seems to indicate otherwise.

Also, there are some parts of the world where Apple's maps are reportedly much better than Googles. I've read that in China and Korea for instance, they are a step up.

hirokazu

I've asked this before, but what is stopping Apple's new Maps from becoming a Mac app?

If it ever becomes up to snuff as a service, i'd love to have an app-based way to access maps on desktop, as i've never really been a fan of the web solution.

Believe.

Tobor

Nothing is stopping them. Of course, nothing is stopping them from releasing a Mac version of iBooks, either. :)

bonesquad

My notifications have been spotty at best the past two weeks. Even back on my iPhone 4 with iOS 5 before I got the iPhone 5 with iOS 6. I don't know why, other than I've been traveling in areas with poor coverage a lot lately. But even when back in better areas I get nothing for quite awhile. Then suddenly a bunch.

Now I'm trying to finish the unlock of my iPhone 4 from AT&T and it requires a restore of the phone to complete. Which will require updating it to iOS 6. Hmm, what to do...

RDreamer

iOS 6 has just soured me on apple altogether. It's just a terrible update altogether. I can't believe they put out this tripe and put it as a whole new version number. Right now I swear I'm about to throw my phone against the wall. Itunes match hasn't worked since I updated to iOS 6, and now I'm having troubles restoring it so I can listen to my fucking music again. I have to wake up early for work tomorrow, but now I have to sit up screwing with this crap. Gah, it just makes me so mad. And there's really nothing good about the update to make it worthwhile either. It's absolutely appalling..

buhdeh

iOS 6 has just soured me on apple altogether. It's just a terrible update altogether. I can't believe they put out this tripe and put it as a whole new version number. Right now I swear I'm about to throw my phone against the wall. Itunes match hasn't worked since I updated to iOS 6, and now I'm having troubles restoring it so I can listen to my fucking music again. I have to wake up early for work tomorrow, but now I have to sit up screwing with this crap. Gah, it just makes me so mad. And there's really nothing good about the update to make it worthwhile either. It's absolutely appalling..

At least you somewhat gain new features (turn by turn and DND) on the iPhone. The update is literally useless on the iPad and only serves to remove features.

Vyer

what is it doing or what error is it throwing up?

Top Bottom