• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Vyer

Nothing. No error, just not fucking working. I select a song and it sits there trying to load and then just goes to the next one on and on until it's done trying the whole album.

what about when you tried to do the restore? are you doing it through the phone itself or through itunes?

RDreamer

what about when you tried to do the restore? are you doing it through the phone itself or through itunes?

Through itunes. I was restoring from a backup. I waited a bit, then the phone shut off and was supposed to come on and it just never does. I had to try and turn it on like 4 or 5 times and then it came on finally, but match still didn't work. I tried doing that a few times.

I think I finally got match to work now. I guess you have to go into itunes and try to buy something in order to accept some new agreement. Seems to work now. Itunes on my phone still seems to crash quite a lot, though, and has every since I got ios 6.

Very important to point out that this test was performed in New York City.

Even in London it's fucking horrible!

Edit, we'll not horrible, but it can't even find a popular venue I'm visiting tonight.

I think the problem is very apparent but people try and pass it off and hype it up too much. I mean, you can get examples of GMaps being terrible, but of course Mapple is in the limelight for being bad, so all the examples of misdirection are of Mapple which makes GMaps look like the return of Christ

Vyer

Through itunes. I was restoring from a backup. I waited a bit, then the phone shut off and was supposed to come on and it just never does. I had to try and turn it on like 4 or 5 times and then it came on finally, but match still didn't work. I tried doing that a few times.

I think I finally got match to work now. I guess you have to go into itunes and try to buy something in order to accept some new agreement. Seems to work now. Itunes on my phone still seems to crash quite a lot, though, and has every since I got ios 6.

Might be worth it to restore as a new phone at some point. Do you back up to iCloud at all? It would suck to have to put apps back in and re add email, but all your contacts and purchase history should be intact through your Apple ID.

In theory doing upgrades should be fine, but I've always had a thing about doing 'clean' installs on all my systems (even my desktops) from time to time. Just a thought.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Nothing. No error, just not fucking working. I select a song and it sits there trying to load and then just goes to the next one on and on until it's done trying the whole album.

I had the same exact issue, it turned out to be an iTunes terms of service update.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
OK, I have iOS 6 on my iPhone 4, and Location Services (the arrow on the top of the screen) just won't shut off. I've manually shut down all the apps that are running, I've tried fiddling with Location Services in the Settings, I've also shut down and restarted my phone, nothing works. Anyone else have this problem?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
OK, I have iOS 6 on my iPhone 4, and Location Services (the arrow on the top of the screen) just won't shut off. I've manually shut down all the apps that are running, I've tried fiddling with Location Services in the Settings, I've also shut down and restarted my phone, nothing works. Anyone else have this problem?
You probably have a geo-gate reminder set or something. Someone that's dependant on you arriving at or leaving a location.

After updating to iOS6 my iPad 2's battery life has taken a pretty big hit. I tried restoring my iPad through iTunes, but instead of choosing setup as a new iPad I chose restore from backup. Do i need to choose setup as a new iPad or is my crappy battery life the new normal?

paul187

My battery has also been drained since I updated. ^^

has anyone else been having trouble with wifi since updating?
my 4S has become notoriously unreliable in connecting with wifi's it never used to have a problem with...
o_O

I was just going to ask the same question. Is there a fix for this? I hate this update.

I'm having this same problem on my iPad. Wifi is constantly freezing up. Only way to fix this is to reconnect to wifi, but then 5 minutes later the same problem pops up. Very annoying. Happened immediately after I updated. Never had a problem before.

Quick

Banned
I've had some freezing problems on my 4S home screen lately. I'd swipe to the next page and it would freeze for a moment mid-swipe, freezing between the pages. It would go back to normal after a second or two.

I can't believe they haven't fixed the New York, Texas Siri bug yet... It's not 82 and sunny all week long, Siri. It's cold, dank, and rainy. Guess they installed Apple Maps on her servers too. Herp.

MasLegio

Banned
Fortune 500 Company Urging Employees Not to Upgrade to iOS 6 Over Exchange Bug
The issue appears when users decline a meeting invitation from an iOS 6 device. Instead of simply sending a notification to the meeting organizer that the user will not attend, iOS 6 is sending meeting cancellation notices to the entire distribution list, effectively canceling the invitation for all attendees.

Problems getting Exchange push email
Some users quick to upgrade to Apple's latest mobile OS report losing automatic push delivery of their email, requiring that they check for themselves to get any fresh messages. The issue isn't carrier- or device-specific, and attempts to reboot, reconfigure or restore devices are at best temporary fixes: what flows smoothly at first runs dry several hours later.

dyls

iOS 6 has just soured me on apple altogether. It's just a terrible update altogether. I can't believe they put out this tripe and put it as a whole new version number. Right now I swear I'm about to throw my phone against the wall. Itunes match hasn't worked since I updated to iOS 6, and now I'm having troubles restoring it so I can listen to my fucking music again. I have to wake up early for work tomorrow, but now I have to sit up screwing with this crap. Gah, it just makes me so mad. And there's really nothing good about the update to make it worthwhile either. It's absolutely appalling..

iTunes Match works far better in 6 than 5, at least in terms of functioning the way it is supposed to. Functionality has been lost but it operates much more smoothly and consistently now. Something is up with your phone or account.

Mairu

Fortune 500 Company Urging Employees Not to Upgrade to iOS 6 Over Exchange Bug
The issue appears when users decline a meeting invitation from an iOS 6 device. Instead of simply sending a notification to the meeting organizer that the user will not attend, iOS 6 is sending meeting cancellation notices to the entire distribution list, effectively canceling the invitation for all attendees.

Problems getting Exchange push email
Some users quick to upgrade to Apple's latest mobile OS report losing automatic push delivery of their email, requiring that they check for themselves to get any fresh messages. The issue isn't carrier- or device-specific, and attempts to reboot, reconfigure or restore devices are at best temporary fixes: what flows smoothly at first runs dry several hours later.

Weird on the second link, I have three exchange accounts set up and no issues with any of them. Hope they fix the calendar invite bug.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
not trying to use the typical internet hyperbole, but on my iPhone 4, iOS6 is the crashiest mobile OS I've used since WinMo 5. I've had it hardlock on me 5 times this week alone. It maybe did that once during the entire time I used previous IOS versions. I've been an iPhone user since the first version, but man, I don't know. This has been a really shitty experience for me so far.

noah111

Still Alive
Coming back to the mockup posted several pages back
(#5635)
, got around to mocking out the rest of it (side by side with current iOS ofc);

app switcher said:
playback controls said:
setting toggles said:
(side-by-side with the old)

So obviously with the card view, the switcher gets elongated meaning it can naturally fit more content on the extra pages. Re-did the playback controls page to be strictly for that purpose (no orientation toggle) and sort of a mini version of the music player; just taking a giant cue from the new music app. Also displays more info other than the track (album title, artist name, album artwork).

Settings page is simpler, not much to do there. Only place in the new switcher that'd retain the old icon size layout, but as toggle buttons..
pardon the 3G button on an LTE iPhone, it's from an older mockup. ;p

Saved the shots on my phone, and tbh i'm really liking what I think it'd feel like.

Starbucks app has been updated with Passbook support.

What's New in Version 2.4
• Passbook support
• iOS6 support
• Now easier to sign up and start earning Rewards with our new account creation flow
• Accessibility, data optimization, and performance improvements
• Multiple bug fixes

Just tried it out and I finally have a useful card in Passbook!

noah111

Still Alive
I demand that you turn that into an actual jailbreak tweak.
There has to be a Gaffer go can turn that into reality.
I think there have been a few concepts posted on the Verge forums that have gotten turned into JB tweaks by gaining enough attention. I posted these over there, so maybe if it gets some traction someone will turn it into a tweak (like they did with Switchy, for example).

Quick

Banned
Starbucks app has been updated with Passbook support.

The Starbucks Canada app still doesn't have Passbook support. I saw the post on The Verge and immediately checked my phone to see a badge on the App Store icon. Checked the update and it was the Starbucks Canada app. I thought, "we'll, my SCENE card isn't solo anymore" and read the update info.

"iOS 6 support, bug fixes," it said. I figured, "iOS 6 update = veiled mention of Passbook."

And nope. People are going nuts on the reviews over lack of Passbook support, haha.

I think there have been a few concepts posted on the Verge forums that have gotten turned into JB tweaks by gaining enough attention. I posted these over there, so maybe if it gets some traction someone will turn it into a tweak (like they did with Switchy, for example).

Well, you know what to do, Sentry. Spam The Verge with this, sit and wait, ???, PROFIT.

Angst

Sentry, that's the best thing you've ever done.

Send an email to Tim Cook and see what happens.
He'll get a cease and desist letter. :p

To the people with wifi issues:

Have you tried changing channels and/or encryption method on your router? This usually solves the trick with wifi related issues.

He'll get a cease and desist letter. :p

To the people with wifi issues:

Have you tried changing channels and/or encryption method on your router? This usually solves the trick with wifi related issues.

It's ficking annoying to change all of that again

But I'm just using 3G for now:(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I still have no idea how Passbook actually works.

Number45

Thank you, I was just thinking to myself that I must be the only one who has no idea how it works, or why it's beneficial. Glad to see I'm not the only one.
I can't find anything I'd use that supports it at the moment (UK). My two local cinema apps don't seem to support it.

That said, it wouldn't give me anything that I don't already get with my debit card anyway. I either use my phone to pick up the tickets or my debit card, two things that never leave my side when I'm out.

Zaptruder

Banned
I was just thinking about this, and because it's not really worth making a thread over, I'll just post it here instead...

But without the Apple branding, how well would the iPhone 5 have been received?

Like if for some reason a couple years ago, Apple had opened up their iOS and stopped making phones entirely...

And then a couple years later, some company releases the iPhone 5 exactly as it is.

iOS 6, Super tight finish and build, scratchy exteriors, maps debacle, etc.

How successful could such a phone possibly be?

I think the other iPhones in general would've still done extremely well under similar circumstances (not as well as they did, but still at least SGS2 levels) - because they were always leading edge performance and innovation.

But what real advantage does the iPhone 5 have over any competitor device... the graphics chip... and the physical design of the product (ignoring the scratchable exterior) maybe.

I guess the real relevant question though is simply; how many more iPhone 5s can apple release while still maintaining their extreme popularity.

I haven't followed for a couple weeks now, but has there been a significant dent in public perception of Apple after the iPhone 5? I know my dad still wants one, and I haven't bothered reprising him of its flaws.

Is the outrage more exclusive to geek internet sites (and even then, to what extent?), has it become mainstream too?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can't find anything I'd use that supports it at the moment (UK). My two local cinema apps don't seem to support it.

That said, it wouldn't give me anything that I don't already get with my debit card anyway. I either use my phone to pick up the tickets or my debit card, two things that never leave my side when I'm out.

the odeon appears to, but I'm not sure what it does.

It does seem like something starbucks, tesco etc could quickly adopt.

Mindwipe

Even in London it's fucking horrible!

Edit, we'll not horrible, but it can't even find a popular venue I'm visiting tonight.

I think the problem is very apparent but people try and pass it off and hype it up too much. I mean, you can get examples of GMaps being terrible, but of course Mapple is in the limelight for being bad, so all the examples of misdirection are of Mapple which makes GMaps look like the return of Christ

No, in London it's actually horrible.

Google Maps certainly has point of interest errors. It's maybe only 90% accurate.

The thing is that Apple Maps in London is probably less than 10% accurate for POI. And that renders it unusable.

Majine

Banned
Those mockups are so good. I'm so dissapointed that Apple didn't do anything with that extra space. I'm not getting the 5, but you know, for the sake of progress.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Those mockups are so good. I'm so dissapointed that Apple didn't do anything with that extra space. I'm not getting the 5, but you know, for the sake of progress.

While they mockups are neat, Apple wouldn't have designed anything like that which doesn't work on their non-4" devices at this, still very much current, stage in the lifecycle of their 3.5" counterparts.

Majine

Banned
While they mockups are neat, Apple wouldn't have designed anything like that which doesn't work on their non-4" devices at this, still very much current, stage in the lifecycle of their 3.5" counterparts.

It would've been extra incentive to upgrade, like Siri was last year.

Mindwipe

Why? I can't see what doesn't work on a 3.5" screen here.

And Apple has no problem with just not rolling it out to older devices, even so. This isn't something that would cause app fragmentation, no app would have to do anything.

Top Bottom