• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

While they mockups are neat, Apple wouldn't have designed anything like that which doesn't work on their non-4" devices at this, still very much current, stage in the lifecycle of their 3.5" counterparts.

Just in case people missed what Mindwipe wrote, you just have to slide the screen up a little further. It's perfectly possible on 3.5" devices.

Who cares about Siri?

I use Siri more now then ever. Being able to get sports scores and stats, plus movie reviews and start times, was a fantastic edition.

It should be noted however, that I'm one of the people who has had almost no problems with Siri from the start. I'd say it works flawlessly for me 90-95% of the time.

noah111

Still Alive
While they mockups are neat, Apple wouldn't have designed anything like that which doesn't work on their non-4" devices at this, still very much current, stage in the lifecycle of their 3.5" counterparts.
Who says it wouldn't work on 3:2 devices? Even though they're going out the window moving forward, it can still be implemented.

However, the cards would be naturally shorter since they're previews of 960x640 apps versus 1136, which means the playback and settings functions would be 'lesser' than that of a iPhone 5; no volume slider on the playback page, for example. But it could still be done across both. And hell, Apple loves to offer software incentives to upgrading anyway. :p

But again, we're headed into a 16:9 future and iOS NEEDS to be looked at anew for this screen. They show us apps that have been redesigned for the extra space, yet iOS remains simply stretched with no additional benefits. In a few short years Apple's product line will consist of nothing but 16:9 screens, so iOS definitely needs to start shaping up and looking like it was BULT for a 4" vs a deviation of UI from a 3.5", because right now the fact that it's the latter is pretty damn apparent (lock screen album art, etc).

Don't. Otherwise it may never happen. Emailing leaves a paper trail to which you can accuse them of stealing your concept.
But... I want them to steal the concept. ;p

Siri is awesome. Now that I finally have it, I'm using it all the time.
Same here, on my iPad of all things... It's not 100% there yet, but I still think it's an awesome future that will be fully realized in a few years.

However, the cards would be naturally shorter since they're previews of 960x640 apps versus 1136, which means the playback and settings functions would be 'lesser' than that of a iPhone 5; no volume slider on the playback page, for example. But it could still be done across both. And hell, Apple loves to offer software incentives to upgrading anyway. :p

or you can just have more gutter on the top and slide the previews up a bit.

LCfiner

Now that I can use Siri to search for local things, it's much more useful in Canada than it was before. I use it fairly often, in addition to my previous of it as an egg timer.

(And it'll return more results than new Maps will display when using a similar search, so it has an unexpected utility there)

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Apparently, Siri does movie reviews now.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/3/3449916/siris-strange-movie-reviews-its-tough-being-a-robot

siri_bladerunner.jpg

siri_2001.jpg

siri_inception.jpg

siri_toystory.jpg

edgefusion

Siri is awesome. Now that I finally have it, I'm using it all the time.

I'm always so surprised when I see people down on Siri, I use it pretty much every day for all manner of things. I think I'd find it really uncomfortable to go back to a phone without all the speech stuff, it's just too useful.

Number45

I'm always so surprised when I see people down on Siri, I use it pretty much every day for all manner of things. I think I'd find it really uncomfortable to go back to a phone without all the speech stuff, it's just too useful.
I love the idea, but I can't bring myself to speak to my phone when people are around me - that's my only "complaint".

I love the idea, but I can't bring myself to speak to my phone when people are around me - that's my only "complaint".

I got over that when I started asking it look up scores for football games and other people started saying "Hey, what's the score of the X game...?" inserting their favorite team.

noah111

Still Alive
Those Siri movie summaries are awesome. Giving it some personality, and dare I say seemingly having its own opinion on a matter, is the best thing they can do to make Siri instantly more appealing.

or you can just have more gutter on the top and slide the previews up a bit.
Ewww. :p That definitely one way, but it would look a bit too spacey imo. Plus it being shorter on a shorter screen just sort of makes sense visually, but either way the point is it could be implemented for 3:2's.

Also, I feel stupid that i've only just now imagined how slick the animation could be for it, i.e. jumping to an app from the switcher. Tapping a card would just naturally enlarge/zoom itself into the full view.

ps. If you're using ML on OS X, just take an app into fullscreen and then access mission control. Notice how the window shrinks down/enlarges; that's the sort of animation i'm talking about.

Mairu

I upgraded from a 5 and it'll take awhile to get used to this, but Siri has impressed me with how well it understands me when I'm dictating texts or adding simple reminders.

Angst

Those Siri movie summaries are awesome. Giving it some personality, and dare I say seemingly having its own opinion on a matter, is the best thing they can do to make Siri instantly more appealing.

Ewww. :p That definitely one way, but it would look a bit too spacey imo. Plus it being shorter on a shorter screen just sort of makes sense visually, but either way the point is it could be implemented for 3:2's.

Also, I feel stupid that i've only just now imagined how slick the animation could be for it, i.e. jumping to an app from the switcher. Tapping a card would just naturally enlarge/zoom itself into the full view.

ps. If you're using ML on OS X, just take an app into fullscreen and then access mission control. Notice how the window shrinks down/enlarges; that's the sort of animation i'm talking about.
Just like the Android app switcher? ;-)

Pachimari

I just added maps.google.com to my iPhone 5 home screen. But how come, that it says it don't have access to my location? How do I change that?

Mindwipe

I just added maps.google.com to my iPhone 5 home screen. But how come, that it says it don't have access to my location? How do I change that?

Again unbelievably, to fix this if location services are enabled on Safari but you've said no a few times, you have to go into settings>reset>Reset Location & Privacy before you'll get the prompt to appear again. And yes, this does reset all apps location and privacy settings, so you'll have to go and fix everything afterwards.

EekTheKat

Brooklyn bridge no longer seems to be melting on the Apple maps app. Seems like there might have been some fixes applied.

My local area seems to have gotten upgraded to 3d buildings, IIRC it was flat during launch.

Some areas are still flat though.

Just don't ask her about the weather if you live in NYC!

Mindwipe

Oooh, they've applied some of the fixes I sent in during Beta 1 today too!

They've all been cocked up and are all still wrong, but at least they're now wrong in different ways to how they were wrong before!

Hackney Town Hall is no longer a kebab shop. It is however still not Hackney Town Hall, and it is still both the Hackney Ocean Nightclub (closed in 2005 and now a cinema, and also not actually at that location anyway), or inexplicably a branch of Boots the Chemist if you zoom out a bit and then zoom in again. That's new. And wrong, as the nearest boots is about a half a mile away in a different street.

A few new POIs have been added, the vast majority of which are in the wrong places.

I dunno if we're supposed to consider this progress or not.

Ovid

I use Siri more now then ever. Being able to get sports scores and stats, plus movie reviews and start times, was a fantastic edition.

It should be noted however, that I'm one of the people who has had almost no problems with Siri from the start. I'd say it works flawlessly for me 90-95% of the time.
Yeah, Siri has been fantastic. Sure she f's up sometimes but the majority of the time she's spot on.

OchreHand

I think they fixed that.

The weather is still incorrect. It is definitely not 90. it's 73 and cloudy.

What's messed up is that if I ask for New York City, it still insists that she's correct but pulls the data from Texas.

My work around is using the zip code for Manhattan.

I think they fixed that.
I can assure you they absolutely have not.
The weather is still incorrect. It is definitely not 90. it's 73 and cloudy.

What's messed up is that if I ask for New York City, it still insists that she's correct but pulls the data from Texas.

My work around is using the zip code for Manhattan.
That doesn't even work either, still gives me New York, Texas even when I specify zip. I've tried dozens! It's really odd! I can pop into the Weather app and get a local forecast just fine, but Siri is convinced I'm a Texan whether I say zip, local, New York City, here, what have you.

Here's some proof I just grabbed -

The actual NYC weather:
XKJxi.png

The weather if you ask Siri using a Manhattan-based zip:
5UMk5.png

The weather if you ask Siri by saying New York City, New York:
3U4rV.png

The weather in New York, Texas:
k7Rwv.png

OchreHand

That doesn't even work either, still gives me New York, Texas even when I specify zip. I've tried dozens! It's really odd! I can pop into the Weather app and get a local forecast just fine, but Siri is convinced I'm a Texan whether I say zip, local, New York City, here, what have you.

Damn, that sucks. When I do 'weather 10280' it returns the correct forecast, but I get the exact results for the other ways you mentioned. I'm surprised at this point it's not fixed, but it wouldn't be a huge issue if the ipad just showed the weather in notifications

bonesquad

Page anchors don't seem to work correctly in Safari on iOS 6 (iPhone 5). I use the mobile version of GAF and have it set where tapping the > takes me to my last unread post. But it never does. It always jumps back up 4-5 posts at least. (In Chrome it doesn't work at all.)

Link

The Autumn Wind
Page anchors don't seem to work correctly in Safari on iOS 6 (iPhone 5). I use the mobile version of GAF and have it set where tapping the > takes me to my last unread post. But it never does. It always jumps back up 4-5 posts at least. (In Chrome it doesn't work at all.)
Yeah, it's been brought up both here and in the GAF errors thread. Hopefully Gromph fixes it soon.

Mairu

The actual NYC weather:
http://i.imgur.com/XKJxi.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/5UMk5.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/3U4rV.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/k7Rwv.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
I don't use Siri for weather but unless you have a long commute into New York City, can't you just say "What's the weather like?" It'll just use your current location and that would be odd if it pulled the wrong zip from your gps/wifi-location data.

I never really look at the weather, but I guess that's a consequence of living in California :p

I don't use Siri for weather but unless you have a long commute into New York City, can't you just say "What's the weather like?" It'll just use your current location and that would be odd if it pulled the wrong zip from your gps/wifi-location data.

I never really look at the weather, but I guess that's a consequence of living in California :p

Really? I live in CA too, and I look at the weather daily. Then again, I have a toddler and want to dress her appropriately. Even worse is "What's the weather like?" doesn't work in CA; at least not in the Bay Area where the weather can be drastically different just 20 miles away.

jcm

The actual NYC weather:
[/IMG]http://i.imgur.com/XKJxi.png[/IMG]

[/IMG]http://i.imgur.com/5UMk5.png[/IMG]

[/IMG]http://i.imgur.com/3U4rV.png[/IMG]

[/IMG]http://i.imgur.com/k7Rwv.png[/IMG]

Wow, that's crazy, and a really shitty oversight. I just assumed that since she said NY, NY, she was telling me NY, NY. Seems like it should be a quick fix, too.

The point is, it doesn't matter what you say if you're in NYC. Siri pulls the data from New York, Texas, because it's an error on her servers. She's probably using Maps. Heh. You can say now, like, here, tomorrow, where I am right now, [insert NYC zip], all return the images I pasted.

Wow, that's crazy, and a really shitty oversight. I just assumed that since she said NY, NY, she was telling me NY, NY. Seems like it should be a quick fix, too.
It has been this way since iOS 6 launched. I'd think it would be easy too!

Quick fix and apple don't go together!

I'm starting to wonder if Apple has that skill of generating deep complex software anymore. They seem to be dumbing everything down, and they don't seem to be as "clever" as Google when it comes to some things

I don't know if I'm explaining it properly, but it just seems with Apple sometimes, their tech skims the top of the surface whilst Google and other dive a lot deeper e.g Maps, iOS vs Android, etc.

I don't know if that even makes sense lol

Number45

Have you checked the settings in Chrome? The settings aren't account tied so if you log in via Chrome you'll need to change the settings to jump to the last post again (as I don't think it's the default).

But yeah, I have the same problem - it's like it settles on the position before loading the page fully, which of course means you're pushed back as it loads.

Top Bottom