• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

proxy.jpg

LMAO

Pachimari

Check in settings->privacy->locations something and then make sure it's on for safari.

Alright, I'll do.

By the way, Apple Maps were reason I missed an appointment this week. Seriously, I were driving at this road when it told me to turn right at a street I'm not allowed to enter, so as I passed by, it told me to turn left (instead of right this time) which was extremely weird. And it send me around places and to streets I weren't allowed enter etc. And no public transportation planning, which was the most used feature of my iPhone for years.

This sucks. =(

jcm

Page anchors don't seem to work correctly in Safari on iOS 6 (iPhone 5). I use the mobile version of GAF and have it set where tapping the > takes me to my last unread post. But it never does. It always jumps back up 4-5 posts at least. (In Chrome it doesn't work at all.)

Mac safari does the same thing. It's irritating. It is failing to account for image heights before calculating the offset height. I think it started with Safari 6 on Mac.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Out if curiosity, how is maps now for you guys? Not that I previously noticed any awful mistakes here in Chicago, but all the minor stuff has already been fixed. Wondering about other places.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Wouldn't that be major? It seems like it's the minor stuff that will take time to iron out.

I never notice any big major mistakes in Chicago. The few mistakes I did notice, like calling the Willis Tower by its old name (Sears tower) has been fixed. I'm just curious as to other people's experiences since they are obviously updating the maps.

I never notice any big major mistakes in Chicago. The few mistakes I did notice, like calling the Willis Tower by its old name (Sears tower) has been fixed. I'm just curious as to other people's experiences since they are obviously updating the maps.

It seems like the recent fixes that people are noticing are the major landmarks. Willis Tower would classify as a major mistake in my book.

LCfiner

In Montreal, I noticed that more POI items are shown on the map now than two weeks ago. however, incorrect items I flagged (and I assume others have flagged) are still not present (some of my old schools, for example) and there are still typos for several subway stations that were flagged but have not been fixed.

So it looks like that, at least for this region, Apple is tweaking displayed info but have not yet tackled errors in the database.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Need more passbook support in the UK. Well, *any* passbook support in the UK.

My wife has tons of different loyalty cards etc that would be perfect to put in passbook.

It should also expand to somehow handle 'buy 10 coffees get the next one free cards, perhaps having some way of receiving virtual stamps to update the card

Merovin

Need more passbook support in the UK. Well, *any* passbook support in the UK.

My wife has tons of different loyalty cards etc that would be perfect to put in passbook.

It should also expand to somehow handle 'buy 10 coffees get the next one free cards, perhaps having some way of receiving virtual stamps to update the card

I really get the feeling passbook isn't going to take off here...

That's a pretty big difference. When were these two screenshots taken?

Not sure of the exact dates, but here's the article on MacRumors. http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/05/apples-3d-maps-and-imagery-seeing-incremental-improvements/

Edit:

Based on the forum posts linked to in that article it looks like Apple has been adding 3D to the standard view as well, although I haven't seen any of it on my phone yet.

Double Edit:

Of course as soon as I say that it starts working on my phone.

Future

Just noticed the fly over in San Fernando valley, so changes are happening!

Just saw street view has been added to google maps as well, so slowly getting back all the stuff that was lost with maps for me

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Edit:

Based on the forum posts linked to in that article it looks like Apple has been adding 3D to the standard view as well, although I haven't seen any of it on my phone yet.
My problem with 3d in standard view is that it fades out unless you are zoomed in very close, would like 3D standard at further zoom distances.

Fwiw I have had 3D in standard view since day 1. You just don't see it at typical zoom levels

LCfiner

I need my transit routes back in iOS 6.

Had the worst time getting back home yesterday shitfaced.

If you really need them, iOS 6 isn't going to help. Don't expect them to reappear and wait without taking any action in the meantime

Your options are to use google maps webapp, a third party routing app that apple maps will toss you off to, or get an android phone with google transit data built in.

dyls

If you really need them, iOS 6 isn't going to help. Don't expect them to reappear and wait without taking any action in the meantime

Your options are to use google maps webapp, a third party routing app that apple maps will toss you off to, or get an android phone with google transit data built in.

Or Bing!

Poor Microsoft. They've got the best solution and nobody knows or cares.

Future

Honestly using the web app is almost as good as the old maps besides the seamless integration. More people need to start using it

Sarye

Man, now I see why Apple maps sucks so much

Is there any way I can just send these pictures to Apple, or do I have to individually report a problem for each building?

just FYI, those names of the buildings exist because your university supplied Google with all that information. It was nothing google actually did. Your university would need to supply Apple with the same data for it to be as detailed

After using Passbook for my airline ticket nearly two weeks ago, I can't wait for more airlines to start supporting it. So much easier than carrying a physical boarding pass as all I do is place the phone on the scanner and hand over my ID. No muss or fuss.

Majine

Banned
After using Passbook for my airline ticket nearly two weeks ago, I can't wait for more airlines to start supporting it. So much easier than carrying a physical boarding pass as all I do is place the phone on the scanner and hand over my ID. No muss or fuss.

I'm looking forward to a future where the phone has essentially replaced my entire wallet. I know there are thousands of hurdles to get there, but it would be beautiful.

MasLegio

Banned
they should add the shortcuts for Bluetooth, brightness, wifi, mobile data, etc at the same screen used for Spotlight. Or just allow us to change the settings there directly. Just need to press twice on the homebutton to reach those settings.

Maybe even allow us to put some mini widgets there. And when we use spotlight for search they fade away and give room for search results.

gamma

You could do that before though (depending on the airline). Passbook just makes it more organized and comfortable.

I'm looking forward to a future where the phone has essentially replaced my entire wallet. I know there are thousands of hurdles to get there, but it would be beautiful.

Seriously... It was one of the most liberating feelings when using it at the airport. Even the people behind me looked envious when I was done in a couple of seconds while it took them nearly a minute or so to go through.

Now StubHub needs to get their ass in on using Passbook as well as more airlines.

You could do that before though (depending on the airline). Passbook just makes it more organized and comfortable.

That's the thing though. I don't want just 1-2 airlines - I want all of them using it since I don't have any loyalties to what airlines I use.

Top Bottom