• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

daw840

OK....I'm relatively new to the whole iOS world. My iPhone 5 is my first iPhone! I've been messing with the photo stream stuff and it really really pisses me off that the people I've invited to the photo streams can't put photos in it. What the fuck is that about....seriously.

Anyways, surely there's an app that allows this, right? Anyone know of one?

I keep getting asked to login to Game Center even though I was already logged in. It's getting irritating. I have been logged in for the longest without a hitch but suddenly in the last couple days it keeps prompting me to login.

Jonogunn

OK....I'm relatively new to the whole iOS world. My iPhone 5 is my first iPhone! I've been messing with the photo stream stuff and it really really pisses me off that the people I've invited to the photo streams can't put photos in it. What the fuck is that about....seriously.

Anyways, surely there's an app that allows this, right? Anyone know of one?

Ya, Apple seems to have been dropping the ball on a lot of the new features. They like dont realize very obvious things that should be in the feature. (iMessage was horrible)

mrkgoo

I'm finding it difficult to activate siri with a remote when my iPhone is in my pocket.

Too short a press and it simply pauses my audio. Too long a press and it activates then immediately deactivates.

I thought maybe it was the remote, but when I take the phone out of my pocket and use the visual feedback, I seem to do fine.

Is there some mechanism that is active to prevent siri use, like the phone being upside down or something? Maybe my pocket is activated the screen causing siri to deactivate?

RBH

Currently under development, traces of Apple’s new iPhone and iOS software have begun surfacing in app usage logs. Developers have contacted The Next Web to share references to a new iPhone identifier and the next big operating system update for the smartphone and tablet devices: iOS 7.

One developer showed us that Apple has been testing hardware relating to a new ‘iPhone6,1′ identifier, powered by a device running iOS 7, which is expected to be released by Apple in the middle part of this year.

Apple’s current flagship, the iPhone 5, bears the identifiers ‘iPhone5,1′ and ‘iPhone 5,2′ depending on the LTE model of the handset and the 4G bands on which it operates.

From the developer logs that we have seen, the app requests originate from an IP address on Apple’s Cupertino campus, suggesting that members of Apple’s software development and app teams are compatibility testing some of the more popular or well-known applications already on the App Store.

Although OS and device data can be faked, the unique IP footprint leading back to Apple’s Cupertino campus leads us to believe this is not one of those attempts.

No specifics on hardware or software features are shared in developer logs, but sources have indicated that Apple began working on the new version of iOS 7 towards the end of 2012 and is soon to finalise the features that will be included in its first public release.

In the past, Apple has released developer seeds of its major operating system updates at its annual WWDC event, which is typically held in San Francisco in June.

Back in May, 9to5mac reported seeing references to Apple’s new iOS 6 software ahead of its launch at WWDC 2012 a month later, software that included the new Apple Maps, and hundreds of additional new features.
http://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/01...pple-iphone-hardware-and-ios-7-in-usage-logs/

Same news was reported for iOS6 in March last year:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/02/ipads-running-ios-6-0-at-apples-campus-showing-up-in-web-logs/

Synless

I keep getting asked to login to Game Center even though I was already logged in. It's getting irritating. I have been logged in for the longest without a hitch but suddenly in the last couple days it keeps prompting me to login.
I have been having this issue as well. More annoyingly though, is the fact my "Other" data section is up to 2.5Gb now. I have tried everything except a total restore (which I refuse to do) to get rid of it. I have deleted countless apps as it still continues to grow.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Is there reason to believe that iOS7 will be a total overhaul of the OS, or more minor tweaks?

Seems to me that now is the time to refresh the system... and if they wait until 2014 or beyond, it will lose the enthusiast crowd to alternatives.....

Majine

Banned
I have a feeling that because of the iOS devteam changes, and Forstalls departure, it will be another minor one to ease the pressure on the dudes.

Quick

Banned
If anything, they're probably finishing up or making small changes to what Forstall's team had done, and the next update (iOS 7.1? 8?) will be Ive's 100%

dLMN8R

It's always fascinating when people post obvious things like "Apple is testing the next version of something" as news. I mean, it gets hits, the fascinating part to me is that people care so much about this stuff that they actually click on stupid stories like that.

Software development is a length process. Hardware development even moreso. You could write the exact same article about literally every company on earth and you'd always be right.

LCfiner

It's always fascinating when people post obvious things like "Apple is testing the next version of something" as news. I mean, it gets hits, the fascinating part to me is that people care so much about this stuff that they actually click on stupid stories like that.

Software development is a length process. Hardware development even moreso. You could write the exact same article about literally every company on earth and you'd always be right.

eh, these stories don't bug me. it's not about the idea or concept of the OS under development. it's just the proof of the logs showing up. One of those "hey, we found this" type deals.

the stories pop up, get a little notice, but I don't believe people give them any extra attention more than they're worth.

RBH

eh, these stories don't bug me. it's not about the idea or concept of the OS under development. it's just the proof of the logs showing up. One of those "hey, we found this" type deals.

the stories pop up, get a little notice, but I don't believe people give them any extra attention more than they're worth.
Yup.

It's more the timing of these stories rather than the actual story itself.

mooooose

I remember iOS4 being a NIGHTMARE on my 3GS. I can't even imagine 6. I was running iOS3 jailbroken forever until I got my 4.

Quick

Banned

I heard it on my local news station. "No comments from Apple whether the next iPhone will be called a 5S or a 6."

lol.

clav

You didn't know? News has always been a section for ads.

"Here are the top gifts to give for this holiday season!"

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Because coming from iOS 4 it is necessary. It forces you to do a clean install (even selecting update) and then does an automatic restore from backup. Which kept failing. Worked the third time though! Phew!!
That's good.

If she's anything like my sister, she doesn't know how to manage the hundreds and thousands of photos she takes on her phone which makes the backup so big it's almost unweildy. She has 4 separate camera apps with 5GB of photos each that she can't even upload to iCloud because it's over her 5GB limit. I had to uncheck them from her backup and tell her to clean those apps up already. She was backing up to her computer which was taking up 20+GB of space on her HDD.

So I've been using Apple Maps for the last few days (was using G Maps since the app became available). I like the design of apple maps and the yelp integration. But then I couldn't find the subway that's a mile from my house on the apple maps so back to G in go.

Anyone else finding improvements in the apple maps app?

I have been having this issue as well. More annoyingly though, is the fact my "Other" data section is up to 2.5Gb now. I have tried everything except a total restore (which I refuse to do) to get rid of it. I have deleted countless apps as it still continues to grow.

Ugh.. Yes, my "Other" data has been ballooning as well taking up precious space. A couple of weeks ago I spent a whole day trying to clear it without resorting to a restore. I don't know what to do.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For some reason my iBooks aren't syncing my place between my iPad and iPhone versions. I thought it was always instant. Is there a way to trigger it to happen? If I have the same book open on both devices, you'd think changing your place on one would sync down to the other as soon as you pick it back up and vice versa. Maybe it's because the book is large and has many pages? Maybe it hasn't finished indexing it? I dunno.

Ugh.. Yes, my "Other" data has been ballooning as well taking up precious space. A couple of weeks ago I spent a whole day trying to clear it without resorting to a restore. I don't know what to do.
A few weeks ago I noticed my "Other" getting large too. Go into Settings > General > Usage and it will list all your applications and how much total space their sandbox uses. Tap on an app and it will show you the total size and the size of just the app itself.

Many apps that browse like web browsers and Tumblr, FaceBook, Twitter will save files in a cache that gets really big. For example, Chrome for me is 28.5MB but it is saving 234MB in a cache even though all its tabs are currently closed.

Sadly there doesn't seem to be any way to clear the cache except for deleting the app and reinstalling it. Sucks really. There needs to be a way to force quit the app and clear the cache files manually. I ended up freeing up a few gigs by deleting all those apps and reinstalling them.

lionelhutz

I did a restore last night because of this issue. My Other space was over 6GB (32GB iPhone 4S) and I couldn't free that space. My phone seems to run better (the flashlight app I have used to take a long time to open, now it's almost instant) and I've kept a lot of the apps I don't use off the phone. My Other space is now at about 800MB which still seems like a lot, but is a far better than the 6GB it was using. I'm going to monitor the space and hopefully it doesn't continue to grow.

The restore wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. I used iCloud for my contact info, and then synced photos through iTunes. I don't like that I now have three sections for pictures (Camera Roll, Photo Library, and iPhone Pictures). I'd rather just have everything in one spot.

Ashhong

The restore wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. I used iCloud for my contact info, and then synced photos through iTunes. I don't like that I now have three sections for pictures (Camera Roll, Photo Library, and iPhone Pictures). I'd rather just have everything in one spot.

What happens if you go into the iPhone through Explorer and copy your old pictures into it

lionelhutz

What happens if you go into the iPhone through Explorer and copy your old pictures into it

The iPhone requires at least one picture to be in the Camera Roll before it's visible in Explorer. I didn't have any issues copying from the phone to my PC, but I couldn't copy from the PC to the iPhone. In order to get my photos from the PC I had to setup iTunes to sync the specific folder. Once the sync occurs it sets up the extra folders. From what I've read this is typical of iOS and is in case you're syncing from multiple locations or libraries. I haven't found a way to move photos between the two folders.

I'm assuming there's an iOS Troubleshooting GAF contingent, so I have a question for anything that might be able to help. I've recently gotten an iPad mini, and on both the official Twitter app and Tweetbot, DMs are broken. I click on the box to write a DM and the keyboard rises up, but doesn't push the message line and send button with it. (Sorry, that's a terrible description, I know. Here's a picture of Tweetbot, when I'm writing a DM.)

skitch.png

It happens in both the official Twitter app and Tweetbot, as I say, and doesn't happen in the same app on the iPad 3. (It's worse on Twitter: there's not even a hidden SEND button under the keyboard, just no SEND button at all.) As best I know, this is exactly the same version of the app as on my wife's iPad 3, and they work perfectly there. Anybody got any ideas how to fix it?

not the best place to post this i understand but can't find a generic ipad thread. anyway, do ipads keep their resale value pretty well? i only ask as i'm getting an ipad4 this monday (really, really excited about this by the way) but of course know that a few (?) months down the line an ipad5 will be released which may be quite the exciting redesign. maybe. not really bothered either way, i'm far too impatient to wait it out but it would be nice to have the option & not lose too much should the next 'pad be something special.

Number45

I'm sure I know the answer to this question, but is there any way in iOS 6 that you can restrict access to specific apps - like a prompt when you launch the app? I know you can set some restrictions but I'd like to be able for example to only allow Chrome and Tweetbot to be opened if a pin is entered.

daw840

I came in here to ask a question....but it seems as though no one's very active. Ah well I'll ask anyways.

My in laws just got an iPad and have been using the iMessage app to talk to those of us with different iOS products. Is there an app I can put on my MBP to send them messages or files?

edit: Nevermind! I just found the app that's already installed on my MBP! Sometimes I just can't find shit on here very easily...

LCfiner

not the best place to post this i understand but can't find a generic ipad thread. anyway, do ipads keep their resale value pretty well? i only ask as i'm getting an ipad4 this monday (really, really excited about this by the way) but of course know that a few (?) months down the line an ipad5 will be released which may be quite the exciting redesign. maybe. not really bothered either way, i'm far too impatient to wait it out but it would be nice to have the option & not lose too much should the next 'pad be something special.

they keep their value very well.

ipad 4 is pretty new. chances are it'l be 8 to 10 months before a new one hits. expect to only lose $150 or so on the ipad 4 if you sell it in tip top shape. (you lose more on models with more storage)

Magnus

eh? It works fine for me

Nothing I do lets my iPhone or iPad (both running iOS 6) connect to my stepdad's (older) router. The iPhone used to be able to just fine pre-iOS 6, and my MBP running Mountain Lion is just fine too.

:(

When I try to join the network, I give it the same password I used pre-iOS 6 (which worked fine then) and both devices 'fail to join the network'.

Second question: Is there any way to share my MBP's connection with my iOS devices via USB? I'm aware of the option to hook up the MBP via ethernet and turn it into a hotspot, but that's not practical for me right now.

Ashhong

Nothing I do lets my iPhone or iPad (both running iOS 6) connect to my stepdad's (older) router. The iPhone used to be able to just fine pre-iOS 6, and my MBP running Mountain Lion is just fine too.

:(

When I try to join the network, I give it the same password I used pre-iOS 6 (which worked fine then) and both devices 'fail to join the network'.

Second question: Is there any way to share my MBP's connection with my iOS devices via USB? I'm aware of the option to hook up the MBP via ethernet and turn it into a hotspot, but that's not practical for me right now.

Hm I thought they fixed those issues. Did you update to the latest 6.0.2?

Magnus

I'm looking for an update, and nothing is available beyond my current 6.01...?

Also, my Mountain Lion MBP and my Apple TV (bought two days ago) connect just fine to this router (which my MBP identifies as a WPA-Personal network, not WPA 2). The two iOS devices just can't.

Thanks for the tips/help so far, guys.

Top Bottom