• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Fowler

hirokazu, is that just for iPad/iPod touch or does fixing that also help iPhone woes? Because it's my iPhone that's having trouble :-(

hirokazu

hirokazu, is that just for iPad/iPod touch or does fixing that also help iPhone woes? Because it's my iPhone that's having trouble :-(
Oh wait, your iMessage isn't working with your phone number on iPhone? Never heard that before. Have you tried removing the SIM card? Or even downgrading to 5.1.1 at least temporarily and see if that fixes it.

This! Man, the whole phone should adopt this matte look and get rid of the pinstripes, it looks so much more mature and clean!

as it stands, they really just introduced 2 more design palettes (matte [app store] and bright [Music] to the device).
It's getting more schizophrenic with each iteration.

as it stands, they really just introduced 2 more design palettes (matte [app store] and bright [Music] to the device).
It's getting more schizophrenic with each iteration.

Yeah I just looked and it's weird. How many other design variants are there on the phone

ALso another messed up thing is Passport and it's eye blinding brightness! I hope it doesn't have to be this bright all the time- and obviously goes back to the previous brightness setting

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yeah I just looked and it's weird. How many other design variants are there on the phone

ALso another messed up thing is Passport and it's eye blinding brightness! I hope it doesn't have to be this bright all the time- and obviously goes back to the previous brightness setting

Passport is glitched currently, it overrides the brightness settings and sets it to 80%, and since the auto-brightness setting is disabled in the beta it doesn't go back down to the previous value after exiting Passport.

frico

Passport is glitched currently, it overrides the brightness settings and sets it to 80%, and since the auto-brightness setting is disabled in the beta it doesn't go back down to the previous value after exiting Passport.

It's not a glitch. It's a great feature. If you have ever used a mobile boarding pass or coupon you will have noticed that the scanners have a hard time; the increase in brightness is to make sure the scanner can read whatever you are displaying in passport. In fact, I flew from Newark Airport 2 weeks ago and they now have a sign saying to turn up the brightness on your phone if you have a mobile boarding pass.

It makes sense though. Passport will probably include a lot of either QR- or barcodes, so in order for scanners to see them better the phone brightens.

edit: beaten.

This! Man, the whole phone should adopt this matte look and get rid of the pinstripes, it looks so much more mature and clean!

Seeing as iOS6 still has a few more months of dev time to go, I wouldn't be surprised if they started ejecting the pinstripes from certain areas in future betas.

It's not a glitch. It's a great feature. If you have ever used a mobile boarding pass or coupon you will have noticed that the scanners have a hard time; the increase in brightness is to make sure the scanner can read whatever you are displaying in passport. In fact, I flew from Newark Airport 2 weeks ago and they now have a sign saying to turn up the brightness on your phone if you have a mobile boarding pass.

Agreed. But the app should auto-lower it again after closing.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Hehe that is actually what I meant. Passport is glitched functionality-wise since the auto-brightness isn't enabled OS-wide in the Beta builds so it doesn't put the brightness back down after use. I realised my previous post however is horribly written and in a way that makes it sound like I'm inferring something else.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I may have gotten my information crossed as it will be in "messages" for OS 10.8 and that supports imessage to iOS devices as well as AIM and gTalk

Messages technically supports more than that, it's carried over what it used to support when it was called iChat (MSN etc.). I think you need a plugin to unlock said functionality these days though. I had it in the beta on Lion by default but that might have been from said plugin lingering from ancient SL times.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Sorry if this has been asked, but does iOS6 on the iPhone, in the Music app, does the SHUFFLE feature work like:

A) iOS 5 on the iPhone where it's a button that takes you to a random song and plays randomly from there. If you try to pick a song manually, it stops being shuffled and plays in order. i.e. the WRONG way to do it.

B) iOS 5 on the iPad where there's a global toggle switch to turn Shuffle on and off. If it's on, you can pick any song to start with and it will play shuffled from there. If you decide to pick another song manually, it will still continue to shuffle. i.e. the MOSTLY CORRECT way.

C) iTunes where shuffle is on a per playlist basis. Works the same way as B except that it's not global. i.e. the CORRECT way.

PLEASE tell me the iPhone version of Music works like C or B and not still like A. Goddamn that's a stupid design. I want a toggle switch to shuffle. I used my iPad in my car for months and was so happy that it had a shuffle toggle over my iPod touch. Now I have my iPhone and use that, but it's really stupid that it's not a toggle rather a one-off selection that gets "forgotten" as soon as you try to manually pick a single song. It means that if I am listening to my music and decide, "You know, I really want to hear this one single song." I have to press Next repeatedly in hopes that I stumble upon it because I can't just choose it since it'll just start playing in order again. SO STUPID, APPLE! It's stupid that there's three different methods for shuffle here. And iTunes is the only one that does it right! iPad gets brownie points for being close. But the iPhone is just sooooo stupid!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
PLEASE tell me the iPhone version of Music works like C or B and not still like A. Goddamn that's a stupid design. I want a toggle switch to shuffle. I used my iPad in my car for months and was so happy that it had a shuffle toggle over my iPod touch. Now I have my iPhone and use that, but it's really stupid that it's not a toggle rather a one-off selection that gets "forgotten" as soon as you try to manually pick a single song. It means that if I am listening to my music and decide, "You know, I really want to hear this one single song." I have to press Next repeatedly in hopes that I stumble upon it because I can't just choose it since it'll just start playing in order again. SO STUPID, APPLE! It's stupid that there's three different methods for shuffle here. And iTunes is the only one that does it right! iPad gets brownie points for being close. But the iPhone is just sooooo stupid!
I'm confused, doesn't the shuffle toggle on iOS 5 do exactly what you want on the iPhone? The two arrows one:

bIPRH.jpg

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Say you have 100 songs. If you have shuffle toggled on and pick a song from your Songs section, that song becomes number 1 out of 100 shuffled songs you have, if you then un-toggle Shuffle the song becomes X out of 100 in the alphabetical order the song is in your Songs section. The shuffle toggle sticks until you manually un-toggle it while a song is playing (regardless if you use the Shuffle icon on the album cover during play or from the Songs selection menu during play).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah, I'm an idiot. I did not know that button existed. I never play my music with the screen on. I always lock it and that button does not show up on the lock screen. I am soo new to this iPhone thing. lol

Pretend I was never born.
Haha, it's ok. It's actually not uncommon for people to miss that in the app since you have to tap the album cover to bring that section up.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Haha, it's ok. It's actually not uncommon for people to miss that in the app since you have to tap the album cover to bring that section up.

Yeah, I rarely go there. The only time I use music is in my car with an auxillary cable. I shut the screen off and control it from the lock screen controls. I wish they'd put the shuffle button on there too.

frico

I finally got iMessage to work by restoring to 5.1.1, activating iMessage with my phone number, and then upgrading back to beta 3. It still won't link my ipad to my phone number though.

bananas

Banned
Yeah, I rarely go there. The only time I use music is in my car with an auxillary cable. I shut the screen off and control it from the lock screen controls. I wish they'd put the shuffle button on there too.

Yeah... btw, iOS 6 on the iPhone does keep shuffle on if you choose a new song manually. So, it works like on the iPad now.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah... btw, iOS 6 on the iPhone does keep shuffle on if you choose a new song manually. So, it works like on the iPad now.
That's good. Thank you Based Cook... or Jobs.. or Bertrand.. wait, who's the iOS guy? That geeky young guy I think? The one who's always very happy. Whatever his name is, he's the Based one. And I thank him.

hirokazu

I must admit the bug was pretty handy for getting my Dark Knight Rises ticket scanned. Normally, I have brightness set quite low. I just had to open Passbook so it puts the brightness way up, then switch to the barcode I saved in Dropbox and it was ready to scan. :p

Shearie

Does anyone find it incredibly stupid that Do Not Disturb only works when the screen is locked? Sometimes when I'm using my iPhone - particularly when I'm playing a game - I don't want any notifications/alerts showing up and I especially don't want phone calls completely interrupting what I'm doing. I initially thought that's what this feature did, but when I found out it only works when the screen is locked, I was greatly disappointed.

frico

I have this issue in the app store where the badge tells me I have updates but when I launch the app store and go to the updates page it's always blank. Anyone else?

Sean

Banned
I have this issue in the app store where the badge tells me I have updates but when I launch the app store and go to the updates page it's always blank. Anyone else?

Yeah I've had lots of issues with App Store updates throughout the iOS6 betas like that. Sometimes search doesn't work either, I can search but the results don't load/will be blank etc.

Usually force quitting it via the task manager thing will fix all these issues, but hopefully things get ironed out as it happens frequently.

On a side note just saw a new Siri ad with Martin Scorsese on TV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncv7VLkAAvA

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
And just got prompted for a password when downloading a free app- thought that wasn't meant to happen?
Password prompts for free apps you've never bought before are still meant to happen, it's just when updating apps that goes away. I think there was an article on macrumors the other day that got this part wrong and stated that prompts go away entirely for free apps.

Password prompts for free apps you've never bought before are still meant to happen, it's just when updating apps that goes away. I think there was an article on macrumors the other day that got this part wrong and stated that prompts go away entirely for free apps.

Ahh that's what it was!

Has Numbers been running really slow for anyone else since beta 3 (or not been running a all)? Using the retina iPad; Pages has taken a big usability hit too.

Top Bottom