• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

lupinko

Stealth update to horizontal view for Safari? Maybe for a bigger screen?

imageqryw8.jpg

imageayzma.jpg

hirokazu

I tried the Google Earth 3D cities for San Francisco, since that was one of the few cities it supported.

I don't know if it's a bug that caused it not to load better models and textures, but I found them to be far inferior to Apple's flyovers. The other thing I noticed was Google Earth's gestures for moving around in 3D are kinda bad and feel really unnatural compared to Apple Maps.

It's a pretty big letdown given that they flaunted it in a event deliberately held days before WWDC.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I missed part of this thread, but has anyone tried Air Video on iPad after the latest iOS6 beta?

It was messed up with the first version, I was hoping it would be fixed by now.

Edit: I just installed beta 3, and the latest AirVideo update, and it works perfectly once again.

hirokazu

Anyone know if the Podcasts app is worth using now? Wondering if it only fixes the problems they mention in the change log or if there's a lot more undocumented things they fixed.

noah111

Still Alive
Beta 2 expired and I still hadn't gotten a chance to upgrade to beta 3, and now my iPhone's stuck at an activation screen. Fuck!

SuperPac

Beta 3 expires on September 30th at 8PM EST. Beta 4 will probably be released well before then though. Usually there's a new beta around every 3 weeks.

But if the rumors of the 5 launching on 9/21 are correct then I'd imagine we'll get beta 4 faster than that and this thing will be GM pretty dang quick.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yeah I've had lots of issues with App Store updates throughout the iOS6 betas like that. Sometimes search doesn't work either, I can search but the results don't load/will be blank etc.

Usually force quitting it via the task manager thing will fix all these issues, but hopefully things get ironed out as it happens frequently.

On a side note just saw a new Siri ad with Martin Scorsese on TV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncv7VLkAAvA

Having this issue even after reboots. My OCD is killing me.

Caused by a corrupted store app cache file from what I can tell, have had that never-ending blank page happen as well and it's fixed itself afte rebuilding the cache. Requires manual deletion of a file via iExplorer or similar filesystem program.

Here's a blog post describing it, it talks about a different problem but it's the same cache file. Doesn't require jailbreaking.

http://www.blog.gleff.com/2012/03/app-store-unable-to-purchase-fix/

Cheebo

Banned
Google will surely release their own along with Maps. They have no reason to keep things like that Android exclusive. As long as you are using their services and seeing their ads they are happy.

YouTube app removed!?! Fantastic, now Google can release their own, hopefully they've long gotten notice of this change and will have an app ready for when iOS 6 is launched.

Cheebo

Banned

giga

Apple statement:

Our license to include the YouTube app in iOS has ended, customers can use YouTube in the Safari browser and Google is working on a new YouTube app to be on the App Store.

There's also this: http://ytpl.us/

Sean

Banned
I'm not surprised the YouTube app has been removed, although it does seem a little odd that Apple finally updated the app for iOS 6 activity sheets feature etc. Why bother doing that if you're just going to remove it anyway?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I'm not surprised the YouTube app has been removed, although it does seem a little odd that Apple finally updated the app for iOS 6 activity sheets feature etc. Why bother doing that if you're just going to remove it anyway?

They also fixed a bug from beta 1 to beta 2 for volume from the YouTube app when using headphones

Maybe apple was asking for money and google just said it'd make its own app

Ambitious

Oh god please let the new YouTube app be miles better then the hot garbage that is the iOS app. Like make it good for tablet please

Whereas I understand and agree with the criticism of the iPhone version, I'm actually satisfied with the app on the iPad.. what do you hate about it?

Ambitious

Use m.youtube.com for ten minutes, then you will understand.

I'm using the mobile version on the phone, but haven't tried it on the iPad so far. Will do so when I'm back home.

I was hoping for a new UI. IOS interface is getting a little stale looking for me.

Yeah, it's time for a big revamp. Also, apart from a visual redesign I was hoping for a more powerful inter-app communication, like on Android. Many parts of iOS are quite appealing in terms of usability and design, but often it feels so damn limited and primitive. But I really doubt they'll do that because it might confuse non tech savvy users..

Utako

Banned
I was hoping for a new UI. IOS interface is getting a little stale looking for me.
Truth. I will probably switch to Android next year if iOS 7 doesn't seriously shake things up.

Jelly Bean finally brings Android to parity with iOS. And aside from games, the software ecosystem is roughly equivalent. The post-Honeycomb world is looking pretty bright.

Top Bottom