• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
YouTube app >>>>> m.youtube.com

I will accept the change but I am in no way happy about it.

M.youtube.com is slow and clunky as hell

flyover

More reason for google to release their own. Or for people to just use the mobile site.

Exactly. Google would probably prefer a separate app anyway, since it can update independently from the OS. I actually wish there were no (or almost no) baked-in apps.

DaNcaKe

Try checking for the update without wifi, then it should show up, then turn wifi back on and download.

Nice, worked for me. (iPhone 4)
Pretty sure the servers are getting hit hard because the progress hasn't moved since it started.

Edit: Hit airplane mode to pause the download, reconnected to wifi and resumed the update and it's now running at usual speed.

People asking for a big revamp are in for a shocker imo. The reason Android has seen so many changes is because that was an OS still being birthed. Expect many many many future updates to be like ice cream sandwich with some other updates, usually in features rather than UI or visuals. Like iOS.

That's just the nature of the beast. In fact I'd wager that apple has more room to grow at this point since they're still missing some notable stuff. With that said I'm disappointed they didn't try to implement some of those notable things with iOS 6, but I guess they are coasting/stretching themselves out. Which is worth complaining about.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If the Maps is the biggest news in iOS6 you know iOS6 is crap.

Heh, yep. It's a particularly unnoteworthy update. We'll see when the iPhone 5 launches, though.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I'm not surprised the YouTube app has been removed, although it does seem a little odd that Apple finally updated the app for iOS 6 activity sheets feature etc. Why bother doing that if you're just going to remove it anyway?

Maybe google did not want to extend the license because they want people to use their own app which is releasing soon?

KtSlime

They are VERY conservative with iOS, apparently.

That's another word for boring.

Why fix something that's not broken? They will sell more iOS devices this year than the year prior, more developers will add to the software library. The fundamental design is not going to change. Could they redo the default app theme so it is no longer blue/grey/pinstripes? Sure, but other than that I wouldn't get my hopes up.

People asking for a big revamp are in for a shocker imo. The reason Android has seen so many changes is because that was an OS still being birthed. Expect many many many future updates to be like ice cream sandwich with some other updates, usually in features rather than UI or visuals. Like iOS.

That's just the nature of the beast. In fact I'd wager that apple has more room to grow at this point since they're still missing some notable stuff. With that said I'm disappointed they didn't try to implement some of those notable things with iOS 6, but I guess they are coasting/stretching themselves out. Which is worth complaining about.

What notable stuff are they missing that you'd like to see added? Right now it seems they're mostly refining and polishing iOS, although they are continuing to add small, incremental things that add to the experience.

And the loss of the YouTube app is pretty much meaningless. I rarely use it, but we all know that Google will release a nice looking and more feature filled YouTube app anyway. It's actually win-win.

noah111

Still Alive
About damn time, they're hyping it up a bit so it must be an endeavor they care about. Hopefully it won't go the Gmail route. :p

Sean

Banned
nice nice

Seems like YouTube's removal be a good thing for everybody.

Apple rids themselves of Google and saves money on license fees, Google has freedom to add new features/update it faster, and iOS users get a better app rather than a shitty outdated one they hide in a folder.

Cheebo

Banned

Apple rids themselves of Google and saves money on license fees, Google has freedom to add new features/update it faster, and iOS users get a better app rather than a shitty outdated one they hide in a folder.

And biggest of all Google gets to show ads on their YouTube app, which Apple doesn't allow on native apps.

Google makes more on iOS users than they do Android users as of the last numbers we have seen, this will be a big boost for Google.

MercuryLS

Banned

Youtube iOS app has been lagging for a while, this is good news.

KtSlime

Go back to 10.0 then come back here and let us know how you got on. :p
You could say the same thing about going back to OS X Mobile (iOS 1). It improves each year, but the same core design is the same. No matter what they do it will remain an app based, layed out in a grid, navigation/title themed bar at top, vertical scrolling, shortcut tabs at bottom, interface. Not sure why anyone would want to change that.

Utako

Banned
You could say the same thing about going back to OS X Mobile (iOS 1). It improves each year, but the same core design is the same. No matter what they do it will remain an app based, layed out in a grid, navigation/title themed bar at top, vertical scrolling, shortcut tabs at bottom, interface. Not sure why anyone would want to change that.
I guess because we've seen great improvements on this theme from both Android and webOS, and believe Apple could do even better – if they would just do anything at all.

Cheebo

Banned
I guess because we've seen great improvements on this theme from both Android and webOS, and believe Apple could do even better – if they would just do anything at all.

They do. Use iOS 1.0, vastly different experience. But nothing drastic from one version to another. It's gradual so you don't notice it as it evolves but after a few years going back would be a huge difference.

Sean

Banned
Go back to 10.0 then come back here and let us know how you got on. :p

There's never been a complete UI overhaul of OS X though. Just a number of refinements over a decade. Here's what 10.0 looked like:

800px-MacOSX10-0screenshot.png

What we have today is not all that different - there's still the menubar and dock and "traffic light" buttons etc. It just looks way better and modern now.

Going from memory:
- Panther (10.3) added brushed metal and made the pinstripes a lot more subtle
- Tiger (10.4) made the menubar glossy, added another window style
- Leopard (10.5) made the menubar transparent and made the dock 3D. Some icons changed.
- Snow Leopard (10.6) made the dock contextual menus black
- Lion (10.7) monochrome sidebar icons in Finder, iOS style scrollbars, new button styles
- Mountain Lion (10.8) made the Dock aluminum/metal looking.

These are mostly minor tweaks in each version, but they add up over time. iOS has gotten the same type of UI refinements over the years.

LCfiner

Apple might make slight changes but they won't do anything radical to appease the people who want something flashy or extremely customizable.

That would end up confusing the millions who are comfortable with ios as it is.

UI evolution will come in small changes. Just like how they added spotlight, the multitasking tray and notification centre.

Eventually they may have live icons or variable icon sizes. But it won't be a radical shift that involves app drawers, widgets or a wp7-like UI all in one shot

I just wish they'd implement the obvious shit that I have to wait for a jailbreak for. I don't understand why simple things like, say, a mail icon in the status bar when you have an email, or being able to scroll through folders or SBSettings shit isn't standard at this point. These are really tiny things that wouldn't be overwhelming at all. The fact you can have stocks in the notification centre but not a brightness toggle is just baffling to me.

In terms of appearances, whatever. I don't get the fetishising of the home screen people do. When I have my phone in front of me, I have fast access to my most used apps. That's really all I want.

kehs

Banned
It always amuses me that the conversation about filling out iOS somehow, gets reduced solely to how it looks.

GatorBait

Has anyone ever seen some concepts of an iOS redesign? I'd be curious about what people would like to see.

There is never going to be a full "redesign" for a long time. Realistically, what it seems that most people want is some intersection of additional choice/flexibility and added functionality. There are a lot of marginal improvements that can be made regarding OS aspects that jailbreaks/Android does better, while still allowing Apple to keep the "iconic" (pun unintended) look of the iPhone.

Tobor

I'm using the mobile version on the phone, but haven't tried it on the iPad so far. Will do so when I'm back home.

Yeah, it's time for a big revamp. Also, apart from a visual redesign I was hoping for a more powerful inter-app communication, like on Android. Many parts of iOS are quite appealing in terms of usability and design, but often it feels so damn limited and primitive. But I really doubt they'll do that because it might confuse non tech savvy users..

It's not even close to time for a big revamp.

I just wish they'd implement the obvious shit that I have to wait for a jailbreak for. I don't understand why simple things like, say, a mail icon in the status bar when you have an email, or being able to scroll through folders or SBSettings shit isn't standard at this point. These are really tiny things that wouldn't be overwhelming at all. The fact you can have stocks in the notification centre but not a brightness toggle is just baffling to me.

In terms of appearances, whatever. I don't get the fetishising of the home screen people do. When I have my phone in front of me, I have fast access to my most used apps. That's really all I want.

Wait... what? You don't understand why there isn't a brightness toggle in the notifications centers? Really?

Utako

Banned
They do. Use iOS 1.0, vastly different experience. But nothing drastic from one version to another. It's gradual so you don't notice it as it evolves but after a few years going back would be a huge difference.
You're over-embellishing the impact. I would equate the iterations to cleaning up your place before guests come over, as opposed to getting a nicer house.

noah111

Still Alive
What sells MacBook Pros, the physical build and hardware or OS X? Do people go apeshit over iOS announcements more than new iPhone announcements? Revamping iOS is not as crucial to Apple's sustainability as some may think, imo. Point is there's no real reason for a huge UI revamp to be made in iOS as they're going to sell units regardless. If anything the familiarity of iOS has now become such a driving factor that they're channeling it into OS X in the hope that it'll make Apple users and converts more comfortable and familiar with the system.

Top Bottom