• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
With Match on, you delete all downloaded music via General > Usage > Music > Delete.

Match also auto deletes least played songs as needed when storage is sparse.

It works just fine people, jeez.

Cloudy

Banned
Even with no NFC, couldn't they do a google wallet type thing via passbook? One where individual vendors would join. Or is it too big of a security risk?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
So my sister has sold her iPhone for an Android phone. Problem is, she's wiped the phone but did so without disabling iMessage, so any time I try to reply to her texts they're sent as iMessages that she won't receive. Is there anyway for her to disable iMessage without having to re-setup her iPhone, or for me to tell my phone to always message her by SMS?

Does she also have a mac? It may be sending it to her Mountain Lion imessages. Maybe try removing her email from her contact?

dyls

Did the people that complained about the old method specifically request Apple cripple the service in this way? (When did Apple starting listening to feature requests anyway)?

I was being a little facetious. But I do believe if there hadn't been a lot of vocal complaining that they wouldn't have bothered to change it at all, and we'd still have all the original functionality. Maybe.

With Match on, you delete all downloaded music via General > Usage > Music > Delete.

Match also auto deletes least played songs as needed when storage is sparse.

It works just fine people, jeez.

But for someone who deals with AT&T's questionable coverage in LA (which probably won't improve, and may even get worse on LTE), it was helpful to be able to download in advance the next few songs I wanted to hear, so that they would be fully queued by the time they played. With the cloud button, I could do that while listening to a song. Now when I try to do it, it jumps from one song to the next and all of them end up taking forever to be ready.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Wait, you can't download individual songs in advance on iOS 6? What the hell? If not, then how is it done?
Edit:
1) You can no longer delete music you've downloaded while it's turned on; you need to switch Match off, delete it and turn it back on again. Problem is that it's a crapshoot as to whether turning Match on again deletes everything you've downloaded to your device or not. Say you want to free up space to download an app so you turn off Match to delete some music - alas, the music you thought you were keeping might have to be downloaded all over again. Imagine that occurring just before you are about to catch a flight or travel somewhere with patchy signal.

2) There's now only a download button for individual albums. Before, you had the button by each song - SEE YA! You want particular songs stored for later now? Hit the song title, let tem stream and make sure you pause it before it finishes, or it will continue to streak and cache / download the following track. Rinse and repeat for every fucking song that you don't want to download as par of an entire album.
What...the living FUCK?!

O_O

Wait, you can't download individual songs in advance on iOS 6? What the hell? If not, then how is it done?
Edit:

What...the living FUCK?!

O_O

Is that aimed at the 'improved' iTunes Match or what I now see to be some pretty inconsistent late-night iPhone typing on my part? ;)

If, as I assume, it's the former, then yep - it really is pretty much the same but with fewer options. Delete was helpful because sometimes I'd end up downloading something I didn't really want to listen to and would rather scrapped to free up space than leave it to decide what I hadn't played for a while (and for Apple's information, even if I HAVEN'T played an album for a while, that doesn't mean I don't expect it to remain downloaded onto my device when I leave the house - the lack of a 'keep' flag has always been an oversight in Match).

The sheer service nuking stupidity of the newly introduced inability to download individual songs in a simple manner goes without saying. Did I mention that now the download button has gone, unless you've got the entire album, there's no way of telling what is downloaded to your device without toggling the 'show all music' (which is now a disgusting piece of design inconsistency anyway - why show me what's on my device if you've decided I should only ever stream it anyway)?

hirokazu

Does she also have a mac? It may be sending it to her Mountain Lion imessages. Maybe try removing her email from her contact?
I think he's sending it to her phone number, so that point is probably moot prior to iOS 6 and 10.8.2.

I heard some people have been able solve this by signing with their Apple ID at https://appleid.apple.com/ and removing the device in question from the list of devices registered to them. I haven't personally tried it, so I can't vouch for this method.

battery life on the 4 with ios 6 is terrible completely drains the thing. 8 hours and its at 35%, not normal at all. I've been streaming music through spotify, pandora, messaging, facebook and going on the net. All of this on wifi for about 80% of it.

That sounds just about right... Have you never used your iPhone before prior to updating to iOS 6, or did you have a magic phone that had higher battery capacity than everybody else?

jts

...hate me...
Not iOS, but I have a question about iTunes match.

I have 2 Macs, a MBP and a mini server/media center.

My full library is on the MBP, which is the one that syncs with the iDevices, etc. My question is, if I use iTunes match and share my library with the Mac mini, if I put some new music directly on the mini, will it also be uploaded/matched?

Dany

Banned
That sounds just about right... Have you never used your iPhone before prior to updating to iOS 6, or did you have a magic phone that had higher battery capacity than everybody else?

my 4 could last through the entire day even with gps turned on for running and stuff.

Tobor

Not iOS, but I have a question about iTunes match.

I have 2 Macs, a MBP and a mini server/media center.

My full library is on the MBP, which is the one that syncs with the iDevices, etc. My question is, if I use iTunes match and share my library with the Mac mini, if I put some new music directly on the mini, will it also be uploaded/matched?

Yes, that's exactly how it works. Both Macs need to be logged in with the same Apple ID, obviously.

sonitii

Is the default camera app improved at all in iOS 6? I would love the option to be able to reduce the resolution and/or bitrate when shooting video.

Blackhead

Redarse
iMessage Service Goes Down for Many iPhone Users

We’ve been getting reports this morning from tipsters that Apple’s iMessage service is down. These reports seem to be backed up by searches on Twitter which show hundreds of angry customers posting messages every minute.

The problems seem to be affecting all kinds of iOS users. As of now, Apple’s iCloud status page shows no problems. We’ve tested here locally and are seeing some issues with devices on a variety of carriers including Verizon, AT&T and others. iMessage doesn’t use the carrier SMS system to communicate, but the service having problems across carriers indicates that this is, at least, not a network specific problem.

Interestingly, iMessages coming from Apple IDs and on WiFi are having less problems, but still face delayed deliveries. It’s the iMessages coming over the carrier networks that seem to be displaying the worst issues.

iMessage has been a bit rocky for the past day or so, but the recent issues seem to have appeared around 10:30 AM PST. Since then, the complaints have been ramping up.

happy to know iMessage is down everywhere….i thought my phone finally died at first

— Sonny P(@theSonnyPshow) September 17, 2012

Obviously iPhone users can fall back to text messages, but iPad and more importantly, iPod touch users, are stuck. There is a huge teen contingent that uses the iPod touch as a phone with iMessage and apps like Viber for voice.

We’ve reached out to Apple to see if we can get any more information about the problem. Until then, if you’re having issues go ahead and switch to WiFi to see if that helps, and try to send it from an Apple ID, rather than a phone number.

Is the default camera app improved at all in iOS 6? I would love the option to be able to reduce the resolution and/or bitrate when shooting video.

Nope. I can't believe they don't give an option to shoot in 720. I don't WANT OR NEED 1080P video, and the insane amount of storage space it takes. 720P is more than enough, yet we can't even choose that option.

btkadams

guys, i have like 5 apps that won't update/download. they have been saying "waiting" since last night. i have tried resetting my phone and tapping on each app. nothing is happening. anybody have this happen?

edit: fixed it. i even tried resetting my phone settings, which didn't work. i opened the itunes app and went to the downloads section. there was a download that was timed out. i cancelled it and everything started working again.

KingKong

Apple's online services have been horrendous since start.

So many iCloud outages and issues. It's ridiculous. No other service has had as many issues.

iTunes Match was down for several days and I couldn't use iTunes, iMessage is supposedly down now, iCloud mail was down a few days ago and Siri is constantly down. Sort your shit out Apple.

iCloud is incredibly underwhelming. I think the most annoying thing is that they want you to use a new email and calendar instead of just syncing with Google

so now I have half my services with Google and half with iCloud to sync Reminders and Photo Stream (which is still not on iCloud.com, seriously Apple?)

kr2t0s

imessages had some hiccups yesterday but all my messages went through. It's been fine all day today and like 85% of yesterday when it had problems.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
It's easier to find than you'd think. ;)

In any case, only a day left now. Might as well wait it out.

Checked online, I know how to install it, looks very easy. Is their any risks in doing this update now rather than waiting for tomorrow?

Quick

Banned
Not from my experience. You should be fine. The majority of the install time is just waiting on it to actually install. lol

Sean

Banned
Checked online, I know how to install it, looks very easy. Is their any risks in doing this update now rather than waiting for tomorrow?

There's no risk, it's gonna be the exact same file.

If anything it's better you install now and beat the rush of 400 million iOS users trying to update their devices.

Cheech

guys, i have like 5 apps that won't update/download. they have been saying "waiting" since last night. i have tried resetting my phone and tapping on each app. nothing is happening. anybody have this happen?

Quick fix is to just delete the apps that are in the stage of being updated.

btkadams

Quick fix is to just delete the apps that are in the stage of being updated.

that wouldn't have worked. i appreciate the reply though! no new downloads worked. i opened the itunes app and went to the downloads section. there was a (music) download that was timed out. i cancelled it and everything started working again.

KingKong

I think he wants iCloud to have a copy of the data stored in Google so it's all in one spot.

Yep, like I can't go to iCloud.com and see my Notes because I'm syncing those with Google (so it stores the deleted notes in archive)

and if I could pipe in my gmail mail/calendar I could get rid of the Gmail account on my phone and clean up how Calendar and Mail look on OSX (the whole Calendar delegates thing is so annoying and so is the deleting emails in Mail and having it create a 'Deleted Messages' label in Gmail), although they could have just fixed that without needing iCloud

Tobor

I think he wants iCloud to have a copy of the data stored in Google so it's all in one spot.

Liu Kang is right though. This is already supported within iOS. Turn on Google calendars and email, turn off iCloud, and there you go. The point is to offer an alternative to Google, you can choose to use it or not.

KingKong

Liu Kang is right though. This is already supported within iOS. Turn on Google calendars and email, turn off iCloud, and there you go. The point is to offer an alternative to Google, you can choose to use it or not.

but the point is that they dont play nice with each other at all. Like just yesterday for some reason my google calendars disappeared from my phone and I had to go to google calendar sync settings (which isn't linked anywhere so I found it on yahoo answers) to turn them back on (and you have to do this whenever you add a new calendar in google)

or how using Google Calendar in OSX Calendar makes the other calendars into delegates

so since Apple or Google have on interest in working with each other to make the services look good, I'd rather use Apple's service but with my Google account

I understand the point. I'm just interpreting what he wants and I can also understand that viewpoint too. I can see the advantage of having it all in one place for a central view. His point about the calendar rings very true and is kind of annoying. Same with notes.

Top Bottom