• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

LCfiner

Can people running iOS 6 please open up safari and tell me if the status bar (time, battery, cell signal) is black or light blue?

Mine is black but it's a blue themed app so I was expecting it to be blue.

I've restarted the app and rebooted the phone to see if that made a difference. No change. Not sure if this is common or not

Edit. I should have checked apple's page first. It's apparently supposed to be black despite having the blue UI like Mail and other apps that use colored status bars. Nothing to see here.

Quick

Banned
Can people running iOS 6 please open up safari and tell me if the status bar (time, battery, cell signal) is black or light blue?

I've restarted the app and rebooted the phone to see if that made a difference. No change. Not sure if this is common or not

Black.

Bruiserk

black. light blue in other apps (ie messaging)

hirokazu

Edit. I should have checked apple's page first. It's apparently supposed to be black despite having the blue UI like Mail and other apps that use colored status bars. Nothing to see here.
Apps that have rounded corners at the top have a black status bar. Apps without rounded corners will generally have the status bar taking on the colour of the app's top bar, unless they're not using Apple's standard UI elements.

AlexMogil

Very much liking the Passbook concept. Now if I can get the cards to scan.

It's one of those things that's been available for a while in other apps, but now that it's here... I like it. :)

Noema

Whoa, totally did not realize that Facebook contacts integration adds them all to your contact list. You can even link two contacts that are the same (one on iCloud, one on Facebook) so it won't show up twice.

I thought it would be like iOS 5's twitter integration, but it actually populates your contacts with your Facebook friends. That was my favorite feature from WP7. Freaking sweet.

g1fH+

In my case it took me a good 45 minutes to sort my contacts out after it downloaded my Facebook contacts to my phone. It doesn't seem to work all that well with Hispanic names: it can't tell José Peréz is the same person as Jose Perez.

Noema

holy shit maps works in landscape mode....THIS IS THE BEST NEWS EVER

Yeah, that actually kind of blew my mind, after so many years with a portrait-only App. I like it.

I'm actually warming up to the new maps app. It's fast and responsive, I'll give it that. And you can use two fingers to rotate it, which is very intuitive. And because it's vector based, it loads up the maps quickly even on slow connections.

It's still ugly, though.

Also, I'm digging the new offline functionality of the reading list. Comes in handy on the subway where I have no Internet connectivity. I just wish I could pick an choose which websites to save for offline reading, instead of everything in my reading list.

SuperPac

So anyone tried using maps yet on the road?

Anybody end up in a river?

I have, several times with previous betas. It's hit or miss. The worst experience I had with it was on beta 4. Used it once to go from the airport in Seattle to Redmond, but it lead me in a circle around the airport, onto some local roads that were closed and then around in a circle on the highway before I finally got on the right road. It was pretty terrible.

But in a couple of other circumstances it's been perfect.

oh yeah, from tested podcast they mention siri won't just shutup in maps. How are y'all's experience?

I've had issues with other nav apps/and gps's, but most you can tweak the settings for stuff.

SuperPac

oh yeah, from tested podcast they mention siri won't just shutup in maps. How are y'all's experience?

I've had issues with other nav apps/and gps's, but most you can tweak the settings for stuff.

Siri is very chatty in turn by turn depending on how close together your next turns are. I love that it does the directions from the lock screen. Granted I've only ever used my Honda GPS for turn by turn before this but it's still pretty good. Except for the one time in Seattle.

Wonder if any transit apps are going to be registered by the time ios6 hits on Wednesday. Cuz that's still one big thing that is missing completely.

kr2t0s

Just a heads up if anyone else ends up having this problem:

If you are having problems getting your phone # to show up in iMessages/Facetime on the iPad (new ios6 feature) - I had to turn both iMessages and Facetime off on the iPad and the iPhone then turn it on first on the iPhone then then iPad.

Now I can send receive iMessages on both devices with just using my phone number. About time.

BKXB

Economist
Having some issues with the Maps app. Some simple searches in downtown Toronto (e.g., 50 Bloor St., or 200 Church St.) are returning locations outside of the city.

I figure this is a difference between the way searches are performed...hopefully it improves.

Holy Wars

Banned
Installed iOS 6 on my phone. It's somehow got stuck in a shame spiral where it keeps crashing and respringing while restoring from an iCloud backup. Sweet.

hirokazu

Wonder if any transit apps are going to be registered by the time ios6 hits on Wednesday. Cuz that's still one big thing that is missing completely.

I can't believe it's been 3 months and nobody's implemented it yet. Maybe Apple are withholding the app listing until iOS6 launches officially.

Christ. I was trying to rent a movie and the "Rent" and "Buy" buttons kept switching, literally, every time I clicked "Rent". I had no idea if it was registering as "Rent" or "Buy". I gave up, decided to rent from my Mac, and just transfer the movie, but... jeez.

jb1234

I wish I'd waited for the 19th. Now, after the update, Wi-Fi refuses to work. Keeps telling me it won't connect, even though I have the right password. Tried resetting network settings, reset the router, turned the phone on and off. Just won't cooperate.

linkboy

K got it working.

My god I miss Infinifolders. I'm just baffled why Apple do it the way they do :(

That's why I haven't updated yet. I'm going to wait until a solid jailbreak is out. There's a few tweaks that I can give up (Nitrous and Browser Changing being the big ones).

tmdorsey

Getting kinda concerned. I installed the GM on my iPad 3 and I can't get Siri to talk to me or respond to any of my questions. Anybody have any ideas?

Anybody?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Still no mention of the 3D maps for canada, australia and the UK that are present in the beta though. Sucks

That list isn't complete by any means. All the stuff from the betas, and more is in the GM that isn't listed.
For instance, since the GM, Ireland has full Siri Twitter/Facebook/Local Search/Directions/Restaurant Info/Reviews/Reservations (some) while the site says Ireland has none of that. Limited 3D maps exist as well.

Aesthet1c

I thought with iOS6 you were able to update your apps without requiring a password. Is this not the case anymore? Or is there a setting somewhere for this.

SuperPac

I can't believe it's been 3 months and nobody's implemented it yet. Maybe Apple are withholding the app listing until iOS6 launches officially.

I don't think it's "nobody's implemented it yet" - it's that iOS6 isn't available yet and Apple hasn't started approving apps that use features exclusive to it yet. Same with Passbook. I expect that we'll see those before Wednesday. I'm kind of surprised that Apple didn't show any transit apps during the press conference.

I thought with iOS6 you were able to update your apps without requiring a password. Is this not the case anymore? Or is there a setting somewhere for this.

Yes this is still the case (at least for me). There's no preference for it as far as I'm aware.

kr2t0s

Does anyone really know how iTunes match is working with iOS6 GM?

I'm not talking about how it worked in the beta or how it worked in ios5 or maybe even how you think it should work...because it's working differently this time around.

So if I delete all the songs off my iPad and then enable itunes match - in general/about it shows I have 0 songs on the ipad. So far...expected.

Then if I just tap on a song within an album - it immediately plays the song. But if I go into general/about it shows I have 1 song on the device. Even though as far as I can tell - I did not download the song.

I also see no way of deleting a song like you could in iOS5.

I've heard rumors it's supposed to be 'smart' and delete songs automatically. I'm not sure if this is after x amount of time. or if the device is low on memory. or maybe even another option that I'm not thinking of.

So far it definitely does not seem to be streaming what so ever. At least not like how OS X itunes Match behaves. Nor is it working like iOS 5.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

I'm not talking about how it worked in the beta or how it worked in ios5 or maybe even how you think it should work...because it's working differently this time around.

So if I delete all the songs off my iPad and then enable itunes match - in general/about it shows I have 0 songs on the ipad. So far...expected.

Then if I just tap on a song within an album - it immediately plays the song. But if I go into general/about it shows I have 1 song on the device. Even though as far as I can tell - I did not download the song.

I've heard rumors it's supposed to be 'smart' and delete songs automatically. I'm not sure if this is after x amount of time. or if the device is low on memory. or maybe even another option that I'm not thinking of.

So far it definitely does not seem to be streaming what so ever. At least not like how OS X itunes Match behaves. Nor is it working like iOS 5.
Match only streams if there's no space to download. If you have room on your device for the entire song you start playing it's downloaded. Downloaded music gets cleared out if you sync something that needs the space (I've tested this with some large apps who took priority over my music cache each time).

If you un-check the "show all music" option in Music's settings you can see exactly what songs have been downloaded. You can't delete individual songs, same as you can't download individual songs. The way you delete your cached songs is via the General > Usage > Music setting, you can swipe/delete everything there.

I find it to be an odd design choice for them to mix and match the header style of their own apps.
It's not an odd choice. It's consistent.

When you scroll down, the address bar goes out of view. It wouldn't make sense for the top to stay blue. So it has rounded corners up top and stays black all the time.

LCfiner

It's not an odd choice. It's consistent.

When you scroll down, the address bar goes out of view. It wouldn't make sense for the top to stay blue. So it has rounded corners up top and stays black all the time.

of course! I feel silly for not having realized this earlier. that's the key difference safari has with other apps. yeah, it would be weird if the status bar was blue with no menu bar beneath it.

(silver status bar in safari as in iOS 5 would still look better)

dream

Argh, is there any way to have Notification Center not display Facebook events? I even disabled Facebook events in Calendar and it's still showing all these bullshit things I get invited to.

edit: revoking permission for Calendar to use my Facebook account did the trick.

dyls

Yeah it seems like they made it worse, and I blame all the people who complained about the old method. Now you can't delete songs, nor can you download specific songs (only entire playlists, albums or artists) without playing them, which I used to always do so I'd have songs queued up without any delay in playback.

The old way worked just fine, but people complained that they couldn't technically stream songs (though in practice it was pretty much the same thing). Now Apple has given the appearance of streaming, which will probably quell the complaints even though functionality has been lost.

frico

If you live in NYC and want to see how transit directions work in iOS 6 download an app called "Embark NYC" and then ask for transit directions to a location. It's not as easy as Google Maps but it get's the job done.

Top Bottom