• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

hirokazu

It's not an odd choice. It's consistent.

When you scroll down, the address bar goes out of view. It wouldn't make sense for the top to stay blue. So it has rounded corners up top and stays black all the time.
Yeah, this is what I assumed to be the case and it is actually consistent. The rounded corner denote that the app "ends" there, whereas when there isn't rounded corners, the status bar becomes part of the app, so to speak.

Dazzla

So I can set my phone number to be the default iMessage "from" ID, but does this propagate through to iMessage on Mountain Lion?

Holy Wars

Banned
So my sister has sold her iPhone for an Android phone. Problem is, she's wiped the phone but did so without disabling iMessage, so any time I try to reply to her texts they're sent as iMessages that she won't receive. Is there anyway for her to disable iMessage without having to re-setup her iPhone, or for me to tell my phone to always message her by SMS?

So my sister has sold her iPhone for an Android phone. Problem is, she's wiped the phone but did so without disabling iMessage, so any time I try to reply to her texts they're sent as iMessages that she won't receive. Is there anyway for her to disable iMessage without having to re-setup her iPhone, or for me to tell my phone to always message her by SMS?

It should automatically fix itself the minute she turned her iPhone off

Dazzla

This feature is in the 10.8.2 update which will probably come on the same day as (or close to) the release of iOS 6.

Ah cool. I've been tearing my hair out for an hour or so. I have caller ID set to my phone number in iMessages in iOS6 and set to receive at the phone number and my iCloud email but messages sent to my phone number aren't received on my laptop.

I've cleared out all conversations on my laptop and phone as I've read a few things about "initial conversation time stamps" in the apple forums.

I'll see what 10.8.2 does!

Tobor

How long until most stores are set up for passbook? most of my loyalty cards required to be swiped (by the cashier) will we have to flash our phones now or what?

The airlines and hotels are going to get in quick. So far, I've seen the following confirmed as on board: Delta Airlines, American Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin, Starwood Hotels(Sheraton), Ticketmaster, and Starbucks. Not bad considering it doesn't launch for two more days.

Since Passbook works with existing systems and hardware, I'm hoping lots of companies will jump in quick.

I need Kroger, Fandango, Best Buy, Panera, and the major sports leagues to get on board, and I'm pretty much covered.

I will say this also, I'm far more likely to sign up for a new loyalty card in the future if the company supports Passbook, and far less likely to sign up if they don't. Its in any company's best interest to get rolling on this.

Dany

Banned
battery life on the 4 with ios 6 is terrible completely drains the thing. 8 hours and its at 35%, not normal at all. I've been streaming music through spotify, pandora, messaging, facebook and going on the net. All of this on wifi for about 80% of it.

Enco

battery life on the 4 with ios 6 is terrible completely drains the thing. 8 hours and its at 35%, not normal at all. I've been streaming music through spotify, pandora, messaging, facebook and going on the net. All of this on wifi for about 80% of it.
8 hours and still 35% left? That's brilliant.

After 6 hours on my 4S I'm down to around 10%.

rozay

Banned
Has there been any word on when google maps is going to appear in the app store or will it just be out of the blue like the youtube app? I'd imagine they'll want it to be out by launch at any cost.

I wish they would update the bluetooth firmware or whatever it is. This non compatibility issue with mazda's is stupid

Sounds like a Mazda issue to me, especially considering the iPhone works fine with pretty much every other vehicle on the market. I have zero issues with my Ford Sync and I have friends who don't seem to have problems in the Toyotas, BMW's and other cars.

What's the issue?

dorkimoe

Sounds like a Mazda issue to me, especially considering the iPhone works fine with pretty much every other vehicle on the market. I have zero issues with my Ford Sync and I have friends who don't seem to have problems in the Toyotas, BMW's and other cars.

What's the issue?

my lumia 900 phone works perfect with the mazda, Apparently mazda blames apple, and apple blames mazda.

It doesnt display track info when playing over bluetooth.

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...tronics/6131-updating-bluetooth-avrcp-37.html
37 page thread on the issue lol

Hopefully if they fix it on mazda's end they will fix it for free under warranty

Quick

Banned
Passbook is the only thing not working, and will probably require the update to the public version to work. The GM version is primarily for developers to test out their apps on iOS 6, and they probably want to keep Passbook working for everyone at the same time.

There's PassSource if you wanna test it out, though. Open that in Safari and follow the instructions.

Yeah it seems like they made it worse, and I blame all the people who complained about the old method. Now you can't delete songs, nor can you download specific songs (only entire playlists, albums or artists) without playing them, which I used to always do so I'd have songs queued up without any delay in playback.

The old way worked just fine, but people complained that they couldn't technically stream songs (though in practice it was pretty much the same thing). Now Apple has given the appearance of streaming, which will probably quell the complaints even though functionality has been lost.

This has practically been giving me hives. I fucking hate iTunes Match now, it's an utter pile of toss thanks to the removed functionality. Practically speaking it adds, well, NOTHING but there are less options so that there's less confusion and greater illusion.

I've gone from being excited about getting my iPhone 5 to hoping that Google aren't far from striking a deal with the labels to provide a matching service (proper matching, not uploads) of their own so that I can have a phone with a worthwhile music player again.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
What are the Siri music control features like? Does a command like "output through headphones" (versus, say, bluetooth) actually work?

ShowDog

This has practically been giving me hives. I fucking hate iTunes Match now, it's an utter pile of toss thanks to the removed functionality. Practically speaking it adds, well, NOTHING but there are less options so that there's less confusion and greater illusion.

I've gone from being excited about getting my iPhone 5 to hoping that Google aren't far from striking a deal with the labels to provide a matching service (proper matching, not uploads) of their own so that I can have a phone with a worthwhile music player again.

Having gone from iTunes Match to Google Play Music, Google's implementation is infinitely better. You can't find any way/connection where you could spend 48 hours uploading your music to their servers?

Vyer

What's the issue?

What version of sync? There are some known issues with Sync and iphone, such as 'auto play' still kicking in even if you've turned it off. My bluetooth also doesnt display track info. That my have been fixed in 2012, I don't know. I too thought I had read something about improved Bluetooth coming to the phone but I could be wrong.

Vyer

I have a Google Music account but never use it. What's the advantage over, say, Amazon Cloud Player or Match? Particularly if you buy your music from one of those two services or have an idevice. Amazon has a pretty good iOS app for Cloud Player.

Quick

Banned
I have a Google Music account but never use it. What's the advantage over, say, Amazon Cloud Player or Match? Particularly if you buy your music from one of those two services or have an idevice. Amazon has a pretty good iOS app for Cloud Player.

You can upload 20,000 tracks for free is the basic of it. Doesn't matter where you bought it (or even if you did).

Holy Wars

Banned

I've uploaded thousands and thousands of songs to Google Music. The others rely more on purchases you've made through them I believe.

Match is pretty much the same without the uploads, but you're limited to stuff that's on the iTunes Store and you can't just use a web browser to listen to what you want wherever you are.

Vyer

Ah. But if you buy a lot from, say, Amazon (which i do) and have an idevice there doesnt seem to be much reason to switch.

I've uploaded thousands and thousands of songs to Google Music. The others rely more on purchases you've made through them I believe.

Match is pretty much the same without the uploads, but you're limited to stuff that's on the iTunes Store and you can't just use a web browser to listen to what you want wherever you are.

Not quite. iTunes Match matches your library to what's on the iTunes Store and anything it cannot match, it uploads. I loved it, I could download anything, delete anything with ease until Apple decided to bork the mobile implementation with iOS 6 to provide some illusion of streaming for idiots who think the world begins and ends with that kind of thing.

Argyle

Not quite. iTunes Match matches your library to what's on the iTunes Store and anything it cannot match, it uploads. I loved it, I could download anything, delete anything with ease until Apple decided to bork the mobile implementation with iOS 6 to provide some illusion of streaming for idiots who think the world begins and ends with that kind of thing.

What did they do in iOS 6 to break iTunes Match?

Blackhead

Redarse
Yeah it seems like they made it worse, and I blame all the people who complained about the old method. Now you can't delete songs, nor can you download specific songs (only entire playlists, albums or artists) without playing them, which I used to always do so I'd have songs queued up without any delay in playback.

The old way worked just fine, but people complained that they couldn't technically stream songs (though in practice it was pretty much the same thing). Now Apple has given the appearance of streaming, which will probably quell the complaints even though functionality has been lost.

Did the people that complained about the old method specifically request Apple cripple the service in this way? (When did Apple starting listening to feature requests anyway)?

Holy Wars

Banned

Ah, I don't know that. That's good.

Well, while it worked.

What did they do in iOS 6 to break iTunes Match?

1) You can no longer delete music you've downloaded while it's turned on; you need to switch Match off, delete it and turn it back on again. Problem is that it's a crapshoot as to whether turning Match on again deletes everything you've downloaded to your device or not. Say you want to free up space to download an app so you turn off Match to delete some music - alas, the music you thought you were keeping might have to be downloaded all over again. Imagine that occurring just before you are about to catch a flight or travel somewhere with patchy signal.

2) There's now only a download button for individual albums. Before, you had the button by each song - SEE YA! You want particular songs stored for later now? Hit the song title, let tem stream and make sure you pause it before it finishes, or it will continue to streak and cache / download the following track. Rinse and repeat for every fucking song that you don't want to download as par of an entire album.

Did the people that complained about the old method specifically request Apple cripple the service in this way? (When did Apple starting listening to feature requests anyway)?

Just the glee that some people are showing over it now being a "true" streaming service, even though it's essentially identical less two important options.

mojiimbo

Having gone from iTunes Match to Google Play Music, Google's implementation is infinitely better. You can't find any way/connection where you could spend 48 hours uploading your music to their servers?
What do you do on iOS? I adore Google Music but the mobile web app is awful and the third party apps on the store so far look cheap and I can't imagine they perform well.

Top Bottom