• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

cbox

Downloading a 5.1.1 ispw from the net will wipe everything that isn't backed up by icloud on my phone right?

ios6 is pathetic for ip4 users.

My fav feature of ios6 is that they moved bluetooth a few menus up. Everything else went backwards. All the apps have identity crisis', why is the music app white, and everything else black? Icons are orange now? Apple man, what are you doing?

YES!! The full release of iOS 6 and the podcast update make the app finally work! Its really fast now on my 4s and im not getting any more episodes being unplayed randomly, its remembering and doing all subscriptions and syncs my account!

Finally!!!!!

8006452139_008fa313b5_b.jpg

Is this an error in the maps-app or does New York really have parts that look this ghetto?

hirokazu

Love that it has 15 second forward and back buttons in the lock screen and multitasking bar now.
It also has that if you play podcasts via the music app instead of the podcasts app. Still waiting to put the podcasts app back on my devices. I don't feel it's safe to do so yet, but it really sucks to not be able to download podcasts directly to the device. :(

My battery life on my 4 has been terrible since updating to GM. It's not quite as bad as 66% in an hour, but it's definitely much worse than it used to be. It drains maybe like ~30% faster.

How old is your 4? I don't know a lot about the iPhones batteries but the decrease battery performance may be a product of an old battery and not the OS.

Does anyone know how long the iPhone battery lasts before it should be replaced.

It also has that if you play podcasts via the music app instead of the podcasts app. Still waiting to put the podcasts app back on my devices. I don't feel it's safe to do so yet, but it really sucks to not be able to download podcasts directly to the device. :(

I just posted about this!

It works great now! I can't believe it!

Blackhead

Redarse
oh man... developers have to be pissed over this new app store. what a fucking mess. wow.

iOS 6 Breaks the App Store | Pixite Apps

I don't think the change is bad but for the scrolling/swiping mishap:
Pixite Apps said:
In iOS 5, if you do a search, you’ll see five apps and you can scroll down effortlessly to see the first 25. I timed it – it takes one swipe and less than one second to get all the way down the list...

[the new layout for iOS 6] shows you one app at a time, in the order that Apple determines. It takes a lot of swipes and over 11 seconds to see the first 25 since the transition animation has to complete before you can swipe again...
That's messed up

Interfectum

I don't think the change is bad

It's bad for developers IMO. The amount of swipes and taps to get to anything that is not in the top 4-5 has doubled if not more. a lot of good apps will get buried even more so than they are now.

Seriously they went in the exact opposite direction they should have gone.

Aesthet1c

How old is your 4? I don't know a lot about the iPhones batteries but the decrease battery performance may be a product of an old battery and not the OS.

Does anyone know how long the iPhone battery lasts before it should be replaced.

I won't doubt that my 4's battery is worse now than when I first bought it, but this was an overnight difference that I noticed immediately after upgrading to iOS 6.

Blackhead

Redarse
It's not that bad unless you care about being able to fucking use the App store.

It's bad for developers IMO. The amount of swipes and taps to get to anything that is not in the top 4-5 has doubled if not more. a lot of good apps will get buried even more so than they are now.

Seriously they went in the exact opposite direction they should have gone.

:/ Well I usually search for apps on appshopper and get recommendations from apple fan blogs and sites

Toki767

So what's the consensus on updating the iPhone 4? I don't want to update my mom's phone if it makes it become slower or anything. Should this just be for the 4S?

Interfectum

:/ Well I usually search for apps on appshopper and get recommendations from apple fan blogs and sites

Most of the sales come from people randomly browsing iTunes from their phone, recommendations from friends and if/when it hits mainstream. This new store is going to be a serious blow for people trying to get even a little exposure on iTunes. They even buried the categories section in favor of genius? wtf lol

sugarless

Is there supposed to be more to Passbook than just being a portal through which I can download a Target app?

Apps can add things to Passbook, which will take a while as they get updated to support the feature, but as it's publicly described format, companies can also just add them via websites or emails. BA could start adding Passbook-format code to their mobile boarding pass emails that would add the boarding pass to Passbook, which then allows it to show up on your lock screen when you're at the airport.

You can see how it works by creating a sample at Pass Source. Try the Oceanic Airlines boarding pass (ha).

Bbaj

Banned
I feel like my battery is draining a bit faster now. Not terribly bad, but still noticeable. Anyone else experiencing this?

I won't doubt that my 4's battery is worse now than when I first bought it, but this was an overnight difference that I noticed immediately after upgrading to iOS 6.

That sucks, I'm an Android user who's going to switch to iOS once the shortages of iPhone 5s die down, so my knowledge of iOS is only for iPad. But the nice thing with Android is I can turn off featured like GPS until I need it to try and keep battery life better.

Cipherr

8006452139_008fa313b5_b.jpg

Is this an error in the maps-app or does New York really have parts that look this ghetto?

Its just some kinks in brand new tech thats all. But even then, you have to admit that its amazing. None of the competing techs from Google or anywhere else that do this kind of 3D mapping are flawless, they all have issues with bridges and textures and buildings and warping. But its a start, and its fucking amazing. In a few years or so, I'm sure you can imagine that its going to be incredible what 3D maps are able to do.

I did. It basically syncs with your Facebook account and checks all the friends you got in both your iPhone and FB, then adds the info from FB (birthday, pic, etc..) into your contacts app on the iPhone (unless you already have such information).

Also as far as I know, it doesn't delete any info you might have of your contacts on your iPhone. Also doesn't publish anything on your timeline. It's good to get that extra bit of information on your contacts, if you ask me (in my case it added a ton of birthdays on my calendar which is nice, and you can toggle on/off).

Does this add Facebook contacts into its own folder? Or directly into all your other Contacts?

lupinko

So what's the consensus on updating the iPhone 4? I don't want to update my mom's phone if it makes it become slower or anything. Should this just be for the 4S?

iPhone 4 is more stable and runs faster, but the only real downside is that Maps is nowhere near as good as Google Maps, which Google should be fixing by releasing its own Google Maps app.

Toki767

iPhone 4 is more stable and runs faster, but the only real downside is that Maps is nowhere near as good as Google Maps, which Google should be fixing by releasing its own Google Maps app.

My mom isn't going to use Maps so that isn't going to matter. Just making sure that the phone doesn't become slower is all.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

If Google was smart they would troll you guys and not release it.

lucius

This Map mess is one of Apple's biggest mistakes in a long time, I hate to say this but I don't think this would have happened under Jobs, he would have seen it was not ready and some way kept Google maps on until iPhone 6 or found some way to get his people have the current Map app working to at least to where it was acceptable. Personally I have been using Waze more than Google's built in App in the past year, but Google Maps I still like using for many things.

Has Groups in the contact list changed?

It now feels janky when trying to look at one specific group; tap group button, then untick all contacts, then tick specific group, then tick done.

I'm sure it wasn't like that before but I use my mac a lot to organise contacts so I can't remember?

Has Groups in the contact list changed?

It now feels janky when trying to look at one specific group; tap group button, then untick all contacts, then tick specific group, then tick done.

I'm sure it wasn't like that before but I use my mac a lot to organise contacts so I can't remember?

It's new (and janky).

Future

Google would be smart if they had less people using their service?

What?

Aside from an occasional sponsored result, I wonder how much revenue that service really gave them on iOS. Maps is an even stronger android selling point now, and I'm curious if google is even sweating this.

Talon

Aside from an occasional sponsored result, I wonder how much revenue that service really gave them on iOS. Maps is an even stronger android selling point now, and I'm curious if google is even sweating this.
Apple paid money to Google for access to the maps API. I'm pretty sure it was a hefty penny.

They've been making more off Apple when it comes to browsing than Android.

ari

Banned
siri is meh on the ipad. No difference then the shit voice secretary apps on android. Such a blatant piece of shit gimmickry.

posted using siri for over 9 minutes. so trash.

lucius

True but for even how bad the Map app is and it is bad, most iPhone uses won't switch because of it and many likely will never switch, it really is in Google's best interest to release a Google Map App like they did with YouTube, rather than cut off millions of loyal users who were with them using their services from the start.

jcm

Wtf is this maps shit? Can't see anything on the map. Seriously, just gimme back the google maps. People outsite US as stuffed.

_63010615_f786cb79-0711-4a44-9d2f-a4dab5f290cb.jpg

This is clearly just a display bug, not a data problem. Look:

iphone 3gs
e5Ffe.jpg

ipad satellite
gWYg6.jpg

ipad map
HsZWf.jpg

ipad zoomed in a bit
P8tZn.jpg

Future

Apple paid money to Google for access to the maps API. I'm pretty sure it was a hefty penny.

They've been making more off Apple when it comes to browsing than Android.

I believe this. But if google makes a 3rd party app in the store, the apple funding will not continue. So what's the point in doing it?

True but for even how bad the Map app is and it is bad, most iPhone uses won't switch because of it and many likely will never switch, it really is in Google's best interest to release a Google Map App like they did with YouTube, rather than cut off millions of loyal users who were with them using their services from the start.

I could see google marketing thinking that these loyal users should then go android.

Not saying they won't do it of course. Just doesn't seem so cut and dry to me. They make competing hardware with a competing OS. Google services are still available in ios in many ways, and all can be accessed by any browser. So why not keep the smooth sleek experience in android and give people a core reason to switch. Especially since turn by turn is no longer exclusive

giga

I believe this. But if google makes a 3rd party app in the store, the apple funding will not continue. So what's the point in doing it?
They'll continue collecting data and ad revenue from those people using their service instead of Apple's.

Top Bottom