• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

123rl

Best thing about iOS 6? iTunes Match now works perfectly. It streams instead of downloading. This the killer feature of iOS 6 IMO

Talon

I believe this. But if google makes a 3rd party app in the store, the apple funding will not continue. So what's the point in doing it?
The reality is, we don't know if this was wholly an Apple decision to cut off Google or not. I imagine the volume from iOS users was astronomical. It was a win-win for both companies and consumers, although the application has admittedly not improved much since 2007.

The app isn't terrible. It looks nice and is much quicker than the previous maps app. I love, love, love the fact that it pulls content data contextually from Yelp. It's just that I live in a city and the transportation data is really crucial to my day-to-day use. I just don't understand why Apple wouldn't wait until that feature was ready to launch this. Just seems really foolhardy of them. I understand that Maps data always improves over time, but Public Transportation data really needs to be Day 1.

By in large, none of the iOS 6 features have been a huge boon for me. There are a lot of minor improvements, such as Reminders, iMessage unification, better Settings menu, DND, and general speed improvements (at least for the iPad). But this feels very...Snow Leopard for me. iOS 5 was definitely a must have. This, not so much.

Future

Increased advertising revenue.

I rarely saw a sponsored result in the old iOS map app, but the old YouTube app didn't have them either. I could see a more ad prevalent google maps app I suppose. I'd think they'd still make the users sweat a bit. They could have made a New maps app awhile ago, but clearly chose not to

Tobor

I rarely saw a sponsored result in the old iOS map app, but the old YouTube app didn't have them either. I could see a more ad prevalent google maps app I suppose. I'd think they'd still make the users sweat a bit. They could have made a New maps app awhile ago, but clearly chose not to

My understanding is that was Apple's doing. Part of the licensing agreement, in other words.

X-Frame

Why does my App Store layout keep changing?

One minute Search is the far right box, next it's the 2nd from the left and everything is mixed up, and now it's in a different spot. Not to mention Genius crashes the app and the entire store is down half the time.

How is it possible that the button layouts can change like that without updating? Or can Apple update it on their end? Or did we just get buggy unstable App Stores, haha

Mindwipe

4. Part of this smacks of Apple's bad old US-centric ways. You can bet Cupertino (pop. ~58k) and a lot of midsize US cities have a lot fewer mistakes than London apparently has. I live in London and was demoing the app to someone so I put in walking directions to my nearest Tube station. I was stunned to find that the station and the one directly east of it are not on the map. This is completely inexcusable.

But you could have impressed them by showing them the secret, park based entrance to Aldwich underground station, which everyone else thought closed in 1994!

http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/post/31926453993/apple-has-reopened-aldwych-underground-station

I had to screencap a place I knew well, and Google maps didn't disappoint like Apple does.

tumblr_manrowRVxv1rhptwbo1_500.png

*Note, Apple noting the Apple store, cute.

4. Part of this smacks of Apple's bad old US-centric ways. You can bet Cupertino (pop. ~58k) and a lot of midsize US cities have a lot fewer mistakes than London apparently has. I live in London and was demoing the app to someone so I put in walking directions to my nearest Tube station. I was stunned to find that the station and the one directly east of it are not on the map. This is completely inexcusable.

You do realise the OpenStreetMap Foundation is British, right?

And that Cupertino is a city but surrounded by the megalopolis that is South Bay? When I go from Santa Clara to Cupertino there's a "City Limits" sign on 280 and Stevens Creek Blvd but that's about it. There's no space between the cities. It's a continuous stream of urban from the City and County of San Francisco to the very southern tip of San Jose where 101 meets 85.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Auto predict is even worse in iOS six. No, iPhone "draw that well" is not "draw that we'll"

Completely infuriating.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'd switch off Autocorrect if I wasn't so lazy. :p
I did that for a while.. It's.. Interesting..

I type without sound (oldskool dnd mode represent) and no sound and no autocorrection is a little too hardcore for me. The thing is ios typing USED TO be completely fine.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I hate the clicking sound, so I also have it switched off. Didn't know it was "oldskool".
No I just mean my phone doesn't make any sound period ever at any time except for alarms.
im also really stoned

Sorry if posted but there are some real good tweets regarding the new apple maps:

iPhone 5 lines shorter than expected as early adopters try to use iOS 6 Maps to locate Apple Stores.

"Where we're going, we don't need roads!" - iOS 6 Maps

And then there's this lol:

tumblr_mantgh2aav1rhptwbo1_1280.png

no, #ios6maps, I don’t have to take a ferry to walk that. see that bridge there? you may have heard of it.

Tumblr devoted to similar images of map results apple is giving: http://goo.gl/udIrc

giga

Sorry if posted but there are some real good tweets regarding the new apple maps:

And then there's this lol:

tumblr_mantgh2aav1rhptwbo1_1280.png

no, #ios6maps, I don’t have to take a ferry to walk that. see that bridge there? you may have heard of it.

Tumblr devoted to similar images of map results apple is giving: http://goo.gl/udIrc
Google Maps suggests the same thing actually. The ferry is a lot faster.

Quick

Banned
I just did that same route, and it's directing me to take the Golden Gate Bridge.

It said it would take about 28 minutes.

Apple branching into maps was always going to be huge fail.

There's something Google Maps will always have that no other maps will ever have....Google.

And, you know, Google has had a team building on this for the past 10 years, while Apple maps was released just...yesterday. Yes, there's some holes, but some aspects are genuinely better. This was a massive, masisve undertaking and I have no doubt it will get much better in the coming months as usage increases and they fix/add stuff- like any maps database. For those of you wondering why Apple decided to do their own thing in house, they really had no choice:

1- Maps is one of the most important and used iPhone apps. It makes no sense to leave its fate in the hands of its biggest competitor
2- Google has little incentive to make their iOS maps app the best it can be, and add all the Android features to it. There's reports that they refused to give Apple turn by turn.

This was inevitable, and in the long run it will be a good thing. The biggest change si that Google is instantly losing usage stats and maps data from hundreds of millions of customers, while APple will instantly gain them. This is huge. ie. Apple maps will get better very quickly, while the rate of Google maps getting better will decrease. We'll see where things stand 6 months, but I'm thinking the gap will lessen significantly.Also, I'm sure Google will have their own maps app in the store soon, so win-win in that case. I think it's reasonable to cut Apple some slack seeing as what they were able to accomplish, which is really an insanely complex undertaking that simply takes time to get the data all there. Look what they did with 3D, Google has been in this for ages and Apple has them beat on that front.

http://blog.lumatic.com/post/31863865686/ive-been-using-ios-6-for-a-few-months-and

@anildash Apple had no choice. They need to stop making Google’s maps better, which is what they’ve been doing moment-in and moment-out for years.

What’s missing from this conversation is that map usage is critical. Regardless of Google’s PR success in the Atlantic’s unintentionally misleading Google Ground Truth infomercial, more than half of Google’s mobile map usage is going away in the next month or two. I love the Atlantic, but they got punkd. Usage makes maps better a lot faster than software does.

Google’s maps are going to start degrading. Apple’s will get better. They’ll meet in the middle within 18 months.

It is strange that in Apple maps for that San Francisco to Sausalito path it doesn't give you the option to take a walking route that doesn't include the ferry.

And, you know, Google has had a team building on this for the past 10 years, while Apple maps was released just...yesterday. Yes, there's some holes, but some aspects are genuinely better. This was a massive, masisve undertaking and I have no doubt it will get much better in the coming months as usage increases and they fix/add stuff- like any maps database. For those of you wondering why Apple decided to do their own thing in house, they really had no choice:

1- Maps is one of the most important and used iPhone apps. It makes no sense to leave its fate in the hands of its biggest competitor
2- Google has little incentive to make their iOS maps app the best it can be, and add all the Android features to it. There's reports that they refused to give Apple turn by turn.

This was inevitable, and in the long run it will be a good thing. The biggest change si that Google is instantly losing usage stats and maps data from hundreds of millions of customers, while APple will instantly gain them. This is huge. ie. Apple maps will get better very quickly, while the rate of Google maps getting better will decrease. We'll see where things stand 6 months, but I'm thinking the gap will lessen significantly.Also, I'm sure Google will have their own maps app in the store soon, so win-win in that case.

Lots of this is true, Google has had about a decade head start on Apple and Apples maps will eventually get better but they shouldn't have released it in its current state.

And this is coming from someone that lives in NYC which actually has pretty good support in the new maps.

Ovid

Increased advertising revenue.
So you think they put ads?

Just their presence will be enough. Some people have already voiced how bad Apple Maps is compared to Google Maps. Those people will continue to use GM on both their iPhones as well as their laptops/home PCs.

No need for them to add ads to their apps. That's alot of "a's"

X-Frame

iTunes Match is perfect.

Give me clean versions of my songs and I'll never complaign again.

Didn't it already switch out explicit versions with clean versions before? I recall that being an annoying issue that the service didn't get right, since people may want to keep their explicit versions.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I looked up San Francisco to Sausalito last week in Google Maps and it gave me the exact same result.

Lots of this is true, Google has had about a decade head start on Apple and Apples maps will eventually get better but they shouldn't have released it in its current state.

And this is coming from someone that lives in NYC which actually has pretty good support in the new maps.

They need usage data to get better. Google Maps has been iterated not just by the developers but by the huge amounts of usage data they have collected over the years.

I looked up San Francisco to Sausalito last week in Google Maps and it gave me the exact same result.

They need usage data to get better. Google Maps has been iterated not just by the developers but by the huge amounts of usage data they have collected over the years.

Doesn't Apple already have a few years worth of usage data? I thought they announced that at one of their conferences when it was hinted at that they were working on their own maps.

Chuckl3s

So I just noticed this...I haven't downloaded 6 yet but my friend has. Now that when he sends me an iMessage..it tells me he read it...BUT..all his old messages from 5 (like yesterday's conversation) have been deleted. Weird.

Zaph

Anyone here listen to non-iTunes audiobooks?

The Audiobook in the Music app now says I have no books. The only way to listen to them is to make a playlist with all of them in iTunes, then sync my iPhone.

Any ideas?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
None of my keyboard shortcuts are working after the update, already tried deleting and making some of them again but no dice. Anyone with this issue?

edit: rebooting seems to have fixed it.

HoTHiTTeR

Because of AT&T I can't use FaceTime over 3G.

FU AT&T!

Not to say that AT&T isn't the devil or anything... but on Beta 1 and Beta 2 they let us use it over 3G and "4G" (iPhone 4S) and unless you were in a very strong 5 bar area it cut out a lot. It cut out constantly when transitioning between towers as well.

I'm sure it'll be better on LTE, but for iPhone 4 and 4S users, you're better off w/o it existing.

Aguirre

lol those google maps and ios maps comparisons have been the funniest thing i've seen in a while

wtf was apple thinking dropping google?

Top Bottom