• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

hirokazu

The backlash over Apple's Maps seems completely overblown to me. You know it's true when people are ridiculing artefacts caused by the Flyover generation process. Whoa! Limitations in technology! What a stupid technology if it can't do everything 100% accurate!

There are a lot of legitimate complaints about the accuracy and reliability of Apple's data at the moment, but I think it's an alright first release. It just seems sorely lacking compared to the amazing lead Google has in the field. You guys would be jumping off bridges if you had to deal with Maps as it appeared in the first iOS 6 beta.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Apple's official response to Maps:

Customers around the world are upgrading to iOS 6 with over 200 new features including Apple Maps, our first map service ... We are excited to offer this service with innovative new features like Flyover, turn by turn navigation, and Siri integration. We launched this new map service knowing it is a major initiative and that we are just getting started with it. Maps is a cloud-based solution and the more people use it, the better it will get. We appreciate all of the customer feedback and are working hard to make the customer experience even better.

Kal

Is full screen Safari an iPhone only thing? Because it doesn't seems to exist on my iPad.

Is there any where I can view a complete and detailed list of features new to iOS 6?

jcm

Obviously Apple wouldn't have caught up, but they could've brought their maps to a level deemed acceptable by a decent amount of people. This map isn't even bare bones for people in many locations, it's unusable for them.

I think it is already at a level deemed acceptable by a decent amount of people. The satellite rendering is screwed up, but other than that it seems fine for the vast majority of people. And I don't think most people use the satellite or hybrid modes.

lol, apple has not even done 10% of what is expected from a good map app.

Well, that is horse shit.

I took my iPad running the iOS 6 beta to brussels 3 weeks ago for apartment-hunting and I got lost 0 times, visiting apartments in a city where the street names are in both french and dutch.

Please, just fucking take a deep breath before saying dumb shit like that.

I'm hoping for a good old fashioned Apple back-peddle.

They need to present users with a choice of maps provider upon device setup with an option to switch in the settings.

This should have been a phase-out instead of a cold turkey switch. At least until Apple got their maps up to par with Google's. They can't possibly have thought this was acceptable.

netBuff

I took my iPad running the iOS 6 beta to brussels 3 weeks ago for apartment-hunting and I got lost 0 times, visiting apartments in a city where the street names are in both french and dutch.

Please, just fucking take a deep breath before saying dumb shit like that.

Their vector maps are horrible

In my city (Austrias biggest, Vienna), POIs are ways off, roads are mislabeled or missing, transit stops are mostly missing or at the wrong place.

Plenty of towns in Austria are kilometers off their real location, the maps themselves have a strange bias towards major roads that makes them hard to read. There's no defending this result, I expect at least the basics to be accurate.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The maps app seems literally useless any time I search for anything on it. 10% would be generous IMO, and this is in Canada, not some god forsaken place. Driving directions are hilariosuly bad from where I work to just about anywhere. It suggests going to a highway 2 miles in one direction, then all the way back to a street that's right next to where I am.

*edit 2 miles, not 20* but it also pretty much suggests on teleporting to that highway to start my route.

Also, before when I'd search for places on google, it would open them in maps app so I get better UI for direction etc. Now it defaults to google mobile maps web page and it's much worse.

dLMN8R

Maps-icon-of-iOS-6-gives-wrong-direction.jpg

Their vector maps are horrible

In my city (Austrias biggest, Vienna), POIs are ways off, roads are mislabeled or missing, transit stops are mostly missing or at the wrong place.

Plenty of towns in Austria are kilometers off their real location, the maps themselves have a strange bias towards major roads that makes them hard to read. There's no defending this result, I expect at least the basics to be accurate.

Worked really well for me in Vienna in the beta.

Maybe the servers are overloaded?

Ok, something very weird has happened. After restoring my jailbroken 4S and updating to iOS6 I get prompts to enter the password to 2 Apple IDs I've never seen before (troywilliamson1@mac.com and homiecoleman@yahoo.com). Should I be worried?

Enco

The backlash over Apple's Maps seems completely overblown to me. You know it's true when people are ridiculing artefacts caused by the Flyover generation process. Whoa! Limitations in technology! What a stupid technology if it can't do everything 100% accurate!

There are a lot of legitimate complaints about the accuracy and reliability of Apple's data at the moment, but I think it's an alright first release. It just seems sorely lacking compared to the amazing lead Google has in the field. You guys would be jumping off bridges if you had to deal with Maps as it appeared in the first iOS 6 beta.
When a map is years out of date, has places in the wrong areas and is generally really inaccurate you know you've failed in making a map.

It's not all bad but it's pretty horrendous.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Fuuu- I've only notification center widgets oO

Edit: I'm seriously freaking out over here, how do I "fix" this?

Restore.

Jailbreak apps or tweaks had their authors info buried in them which is still on your phone since the things weren't removed fully before updating/restoring. Certain tweaks leave files behind that even restores don't remove.

When coming from a jailbroken phone, these are usually the IDs originally associated with pirated applications.

Yeah, this is almost always the case.

Restore.

Jailbreak apps or tweaks had their authors info buried in them which is still on your phone since the things weren't removed fully before updating/restoring. Certain tweaks leave files behind that even restores don't remove.

Yeah, this is almost always the case.

This is so fucked up, really. I have no idea how that could have landed on my iPhone when the only stuff I had were NC widgets from the Cydia store (some weren't even free). Makes me wary of JBing it again :/ But I'll restore if it happens again, it seems to have stopped for now...

Music too. Someone's been bad...

The only stuff I have on my iPhone and iTunes is ripped from my meager CD collection...

Edit: and free mixtapes I guess.

Zutroy

The only stuff I have on my iPhone and iTunes is ripped from my meager CD collection...

Edit: and free mixtapes I guess.

I'm only teasing. Although seriously, that'll only pop up if there's something on your phone that isn't yours. Check the apps update, if there's something there that isn't updating it'll be that, otherwise likely to be music.

I'm really feeling like I'm in the Twilight Zone here. I've spent over 300 CHF on apps, games, ebooks and comics, I don't want that shit associated with my iPhone. So fucked up.

So apple is proud of their useless 3D fly over mode?

GOOGLE EARTH

null_zps243318e0.png

APPLE MAPS

null_zpsd2ad3683.png

I honestly think google earth renders 3d building much better.

Nice troll. Maybe next time, wait for it to finish loading. It looks NOTHING like that. I use it on my iPad all the time and the detail and accuracy is insane.

hirokazu

When a map is years out of date, has places in the wrong areas and is generally really inaccurate you know you've failed in making a map.

It's not all bad but it's pretty horrendous.
I can understand issues with map accuracy and reliability. It also somewhat surprises me that they didn't check that their satellite imagery is actually useable, which is a problem that has persisted throughout the betas.

But I've seen a screenshot of Flyover still loading or timed out with only the basic modelling having been loaded, used as an example of how terrible the service apparently is. That's complaining for complaining's sake if you ask me. :/

tranciful

Isn't Apple's map app supposed to be expandable with other apps? The iOS5 google maps had awesome public transit features -- hope they bring them back with an expansion.

Zutroy

I'm really feeling like I'm in the Twilight Zone here. I've spent over 300 CHF on apps, games, ebooks and comics, I don't want that shit associated with my iPhone. So fucked up.
To view the ID associated with a song/app, you can right click on it and go to more info in iTunes. It'll tell you there. I don't know of a quick way of filtering it though so you may need to go through them all to find them if its really annoying you.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Yes, absolutely "insane". The same scene on an iPad 3 - looks strangely familiar:

I checked this out myself on an iPad 2, and I seem to be getting slightly higher quality textures on some of the buildings, but it's basically pretty similar to what you get. I dunno whether the LOD settings are more aggressive on the 3 compared with the 2 or something?

To view the ID associated with a song/app, you can right click on it and go to more info in iTunes. It'll tell you there. I don't know of a quick way of filtering it though so you may need to go through them all to find them if its really annoying you.

Thanks. As I said, it seems to have disappeared for some reason, no idea why though... man, this'll give me sleepless nights.

bionic77

Noticed a pretty great bump in battery on my 4S with iOS6. Getting 4 like battery life. Before battery sucked ass on my 4S. Can't wait to see how much better it gets on the 5.

And love the new upgrade. Everything generally feels better and looks better. Only thing missing is Google Maps and that will probably come within a few weeks.

Chuckl3s

Haven't seen this posted yet...

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/20...ready-submitted-native-ios-maps-app-to-apple/

Google Said to Have Already Submitted Native iOS Maps App to Apple
Amid major criticism of Apple's new Maps app for iOS 6 that replaces the Google-powered app included on the iPhone since 2007, multiple sources are now reporting that Google already has a separate Maps app for iOS ready to go and in fact already submitted to Apple.

The first report comes by way of The Guardian, which says that Google is indeed preparing its own Maps app for iOS 6.
Google, I hear from roundabout sources, is enjoying the bad press Apple is suffering. It would be surprising if its mappers could resist some schadenfreude, since they are very proud of their work; having it rejected wholesale must be galling.

The same sources say that Google is preparing a Google Maps app for iOS6, which will appear in time. No official statement has been made and there will inevitably be questions over whether Apple will approve it in the App Store. (Apple might not, on the basis that it "competes with existing functionality", but would invite a further backlash if it did.)
The Guardian's report was tweeted by well-connected iOS developer Steve Troughton-Smith, who added a "Yep" to the assertion and framed it as if the app has already been submitted to Apple.

9to5Mac has also weighed in with its own claims that Google has had a standalone version of its Maps app for iOS for a number of years and that an iOS 6-compatible version has indeed been submitted to the App Store.

Finally, TechCrunch is also claiming that a Google app is in the works, with the company aiming to have it available on the App Store "before Christmas". Apple has, however, been known to hold other Google apps in limbo for extended periods of time, so it remains to be seen if and when Google's solution will be available as an alternative to the built-in Maps app from Apple in iOS 6.

Tuck

Damn, the new YouTube app doesn't let you play stuff in the background like the old one did.

Grr...

Noticed this as well. probably the only thing I don't like about the new app. Everything else is much improved. Unfortunately, it is a fairly big issue for me.

awwww they changed the number pad when making calls? I like the old buttons =(

Yeah the new number pad is ugly. New Music Player is ugly as well. New Store is nice though.

Apple is shockingly poor at making nice looking apps. Third Party developers are so far ahead of Apple its not even funny.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yeah the new number pad is ugly. New Music Player is ugly as well. New Store is nice though.

Apple is shockingly poor at making nice looking apps. Third Party developers are so far ahead of Apple its not even funny.

Agree about the number pad and the store.

Disagree about the music player. I really like its look.

Top Bottom