• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I just found that in the Stock Mail.app there is a 5image attachment limit. Once you go past 5 mail.app disappears fro mthe sharing menu.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just discovered the other day that the iPad version of the Music app will resort its playlists when they're sorted by last played as you play music.

But for some reason the iPhone verson does not.

I hate that. Hate it so much.

The duplicate status bar that sometimes appears when you swipe away one app in the multitasking menu annoys me so much. Is that fixed in 7.1 betas?

mrkgoo

Why was that thread about the SSL issue on iOS 7 locked? Is there another thread?

Edit: never mind it's unlocked again.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Can someone explain how the whole podcasts, syncing, iTunes, and the app work together if at all now? I had no issues with playing them through the music app, but now I've gotten back into listening to them on the way to work I have had to get used to using the Podcast app.

Should I still be syncing podcasts over via iTunes? they all seem messed up at the moment, some were subscribed and some weren't, I listened to one and synced with iTunes which then jumped back my progress a number of episodes back. Just a bit of a pain in the ass when it was pretty simple before, should I give up syncing with iTunes and just let the app manage and download everything? is my subscription saved anywhere else incase something happens to my phone so I don't have to worry about something happening to my place if something happens to my phone?

mrkgoo

Can someone explain how the whole podcasts, syncing, iTunes, and the app work together if at all now? I had no issues with playing them through the music app, but now I've gotten back into listening to them on the way to work I have had to get used to using the Podcast app.

Should I still be syncing podcasts over via iTunes? they all seem messed up at the moment, some were subscribed and some weren't, I listened to one and synced with iTunes which then jumped back my progress a number of episodes back. Just a bit of a pain in the ass when it was pretty simple before, should I give up syncing with iTunes and just let the app manage and download everything? is my subscription saved anywhere else incase something happens to my phone so I don't have to worry about something happening to my place if something happens to my phone?

Apparently something keeps breaking and they keep trying to fix it. For me, the syncing works on every alternative fix, lol.

Worked well for a while. Now, files always sync, but sometimes after I finish listening in my device, delete it from my computer and sync, the file disappears from device, but it remains there with a cloud streaming icon instead of just getting rid of the entry.

It's all sorts of screwy at the moment.

But so long as the files themselves are being erased/added I just cleanup every now and again.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Apparently something keeps breaking and they keep trying to fix it. For me, the syncing works on every alternative fix, lol.

Worked well for a while. Now, files always sync, but sometimes after I finish listening in my device, delete it from my computer and sync, the file disappears from device, but it remains there with a cloud streaming icon instead of just getting rid of the entry.

It's all sorts of screwy at the moment.

But so long as the files themselves are being erased/added I just cleanup every now and again.

Ah ok, it's good to know I'm nit going crazy and this stuff just isn't working properly. More annoyingly is that it used to work perfectly fine, bloody Apple.

Ambitious

Yup, my music library is messed up again. Or still messed up, I don't know. The usual stuff: Duplicate tracks, tracks that don't play, tracks that don't play but in addition make the app stop playback of any song, tracks which play a completely different track when tapped, tracks with a cover art of a completely different track, ...

And again, the Music app glitches all the time. The circular download indicator for iTunes Match tracks... it keeps switching between different progress levels, as if a track is downloaded several times at the same time. Sometimes, the stop symbol within the circle is missing. Other times, the button isn't even a circle but a square.
It also happened many times already that tapping the button to stop a download stopped the downloads of all the currently visible tracks. Though all of them would appear again a second later. My knowledge of the iOS UITableView implementation is a bit rusty, but I think the same object is used for all the buttons when this bug happens.

Anyway, for the time being, I'm gonna use Spotify. At least it works, for fuck's sake.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
A few days ago I was having syncing problems with my iPhone so I removed all my music from it and resynced it.

Now all my artwork is wrong.

Ugh. How do I fix that? I mean it was correct BEFORE I erased it all. Now it's all fucked up. Is there a way to fix it without erasing all the music again?

Side note, when I did the recopy, I later launched PhoneClean and discovered that there was a large amount of new failed synced audio files from the erase and resync. Thankfully I could clean them off with the app.

A few days ago I was having syncing problems with my iPhone so I removed all my music from it and resynced it.

Now all my artwork is wrong.

Ugh. How do I fix that? I mean it was correct BEFORE I erased it all. Now it's all fucked up. Is there a way to fix it without erasing all the music again?

Side note, when I did the recopy, I later launched PhoneClean and discovered that there was a large amount of new failed synced audio files from the erase and resync. Thankfully I could clean them off with the app.

Wait for 7.1, do a restore, and cross your fingers.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So my cheap, non-Apple certified lightning cable has began refusing to charge my phone. It has refused over the past few weeks at seemingly random times but this morning it just wasn't picking up the phone at all.

Is there a workaround for this? Or jailbreak tweak? Or is my cable just too cheap?

Deku Tree

So my cheap, non-Apple certified lightning cable has began refusing to charge my phone. It has refused over the past few weeks at seemingly random times but this morning it just wasn't picking up the phone at all.

Is there a workaround for this? Or jailbreak tweak? Or is my cable just too cheap?

Without any more info, I am guessing that the bolded parts are your problem.

If they will ship to your location, why not try monoprice.com?

zigg

$17.49 for the real deal: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0097BEFYA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

IMO, a handful of extra bucks is way better than the trouble. Just be sure to buy the cable sold by Amazon.com.

WJD

Considering selling my iPad 2 now that it's starting to chug under pressure of recent updates and upgrade to either an Air or a Mini. Are the retina displays really worth the extra ~£80?

Considering selling my iPad 2 now that it's starting to chug under pressure of recent updates and upgrade to either an Air or a Mini. Are the retina displays really worth the extra ~£80?

I think once you have a retina device, you'll never want to go back.

If you're looking to upgrade, retina is your only choice. Non-retina choices are iPad 2 or iPad Mini (iPad 2 internals). £80 gets you the retina display AND a much more powerful machine, which is what you're really looking for.

According to Macrumors, iOS in the Car is launching next week. Isn't that supposed to come along with iOS 7.1?

Yeah, I noticed that connection, too. I wonder if 7.1 will be available right away, or if we'll have to wait? (Because I assume the cars aren't going to be drivable off the lot next week).

Definitely. Not even an option. The ipad 3 was the exception where it wasn't ready for prime time.

Now your decision should be 9.7" Air or 7.9" Mini?

Swag

My sister's 5s was stolen at a bar last night, person that stole it hasn't turned it on yet, we have it set to Lost mode on iCloud.

Was reading up on Activation lock, was wondering to what extent it prevents someone from wiping the phone, if I put the phone in recovery mode and restore it to factory default will it still trigger the Activation Lock?

mrkgoo

My sister's 5s was stolen at a bar last night, person that stole it hasn't turned it on yet, we have it set to Lost mode on iCloud.

Was reading up on Activation lock, was wondering to what extent it prevents someone from wiping the phone, if I put the phone in recovery mode and restore it to factory default will it still trigger the Activation Lock?

Are you saying you can out it in recovery mode remotely? I didn't know you could do that.

It are you saying if you were the thief?

As far as I'm aware you can't restore without iCloud account - I would assume this extends to recovery mode otherwise, what's the point?

Then again it's possible there is a way past incase you forget your iCloud account.

Edit: read up a bit about it on apples site. It's a lock on both erasing settings and re activation. So the device presumably can't be activated without the previous owners password when it first turns on.

If you forget your password, you're supposed to get a new one. The device can be reset I think, but needs the owner to remove it from their account.

Ambitious

Something that's really bothering me lately is developers not correctly implementing the back-swipe gesture for navigation.

Safari and the other Apple apps show how it's supposed to be. You drag the view to the right, and it sticks right to your finger as if you're moving a physical object, like a sheet of paper or a photo.

Amount is one of the apps that ignores this direct mapping between your finger and the interface. Independent of how fast or how long you swipe, it always navigates to the left or right view immediately, always at the same speed. You can't just "hold" the UI mid-animation.

Wikipanion is even worse, as there is no animation at all. Swipe to the left, and the previous page is loaded. The same as if you would just press the Back button.

Related: I also hate it when there's this standard menu button in the top left corner of the UI which reveals a side menu "behind" the UI (e.g. YouTube, Wunderlist) but you can't actually drag it (you have to tap it). So half-assed.

Unrelated: I'm posting this from my iPhone. Every single time I googled something while writing this post, the tab was reloaded when I returned to it, therefore losing all I've written. (Of course I always copied the post before switching the tab. Well, at least after the first time I lost everything and had to rewrite it..)
This fucking sucks.

mrkgoo

Something that's really bothering me lately is developers not correctly implementing the back-swipe gesture for navigation.

Safari and the other Apple apps show how it's supposed to be. You drag the view to the right, and it sticks right to your finger as if you're moving a physical object, like a sheet of paper or a photo.

Amount is one of the apps that ignores this direct mapping between your finger and the interface. Independent of how fast or how long you swipe, it always navigates to the left or right view immediately, always at the same speed. You can't just "hold" the UI mid-animation.

Wikipanion is even worse, as there is no animation at all. Swipe to the left, and the previous page is loaded. The same as if you would just press the Back button.

Related: I also hate it when there's this standard menu button in the top left corner of the UI which reveals a side menu "behind" the UI (e.g. YouTube, Wunderlist) but you can't actually drag it (you have to tap it). So half-assed.

Unrelated: I'm posting this from my iPhone. Every single time I googled something while writing this post, the tab was reloaded when I returned to it, therefore losing all I've written. (Of course I always copied the post before switching the tab. Well, at least after the first time I lost everything and had to rewrite it..)
This fucking sucks.

Even apple is not immune! Swipe diwn notification centre and try swiping left right between the panes b

Shearie

Even apple is not immune! Swipe diwn notification centre and try swiping left right between the panes b

There seems to be a little delay from when the NC stops bouncing and when you can swipe between panes. Hopefully it's fixed in 7.1...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, I hope this is something that Apple cracks down on and forces standardization on. When correctly implemented, it works beautifully and I think it's better than the dedicated back button on Android. It's just frustrating that not all apps support it, including some of Apple's.

The Boat

I'm sure this has been discussed, but it's a big thread: how does the iPad 2 handle iOS7? Is there a way for me to update to an earlier version like 6? I need to update iOS to review a game, but I need at least iOS 6.

mrkgoo

Are you still on 5 or something?

Just be aware that iOS 6 on a device that is capable of being updated to iOS 7 has a major security flaw.

I would've preferred to keep my parents' ipad 2 on iOS 6, but was forced to move to ios7.

It runs. Probably sluggishly, I wouldn't know unless i used it daily myself.

Deku Tree

I'm sure this has been discussed, but it's a big thread: how does the iPad 2 handle iOS7? Is there a way for me to update to an earlier version like 6? I need to update iOS to review a game, but I need at least iOS 6.

It runs just fine. Does seem slightly sluggish compared to an iPad Air. But it's not really noticeable if you don't use both regularly.

The Boat

Are you still on 5 or something?

Just be aware that iOS 6 on a device that is capable of being updated to iOS 7 has a major security flaw.

I would've preferred to keep my parents' ipad 2 on iOS 6, but was forced to move to ios7.

It runs. Probably sluggishly, I wouldn't know unless i used it daily myself.

It runs just fine. Does seem slightly sluggish compared to an iPad Air. But it's not really noticeable if you don't use both regularly.
Yeah still on 5.01 lol. If I do a backup and restore, it wipes the jailbreak and then I can install it again right?

Dany

Banned
You have to connect your iphne to the imac to transfer a rented movie. Either connect it through USB or wifi (if wifi works)

Sean

Banned
iOS 7.1 just released. Release Notes:

CarPlay
- iOS experience designed for the car
- Simply connect your iPhone to a CarPlay enabled vehicle
- Supports Phone, Music, Maps, Messages, and 3rd-party audio apps
- Control with Siri and the car's touchscreen, knobs, and buttons

Siri
- Manually control when Siri listens by holding down the home button while you speak and releasing it when you're done as an alternative to letting Siri automatically notice when you stop talking
- New, more natural sounding male and female voices for Mandarin Chinese, UK English, Australian English, and Japanese

iTunes Radio
- Search field above Featured Stations to easily create stations based on your favorite artist or song
- Buy albums with the tap of a button from Now Playing
- Subscribe to iTunes Match on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to enjoy iTunes Radio ad-free

Calendar
- Option to display events in month view
- Country specific holidays automatically added for many countries

Accessibility
- Bold font option now includes the keyboard, calculator, and many icon glyphs
- Reduce Motion option now includes Weather, Messages, and multitasking UI animations
- New options to display button shapes, darken app colors, and reduce white point

Other
- New Camera setting to automatically enable HDR for iPhone 5s
- iCloud Keychain support in additional countries
- FaceTime call notifications are automatically cleared when you answer a call on another device
- Fixes a bug that could occasionally cause a home screen crash
- Improves Touch ID fingerprint recognition
- Improved performance for iPhone 4
- Fixes display of Mail unread badge for numbers greater than 10,000
- Continued user interface refinements

Majine

Banned
"- FaceTime call notifications are automatically cleared when you answer a call on another device"

Fucking finally.

Why can't they do that will all apps? They did say that when they unveiled iOS7.

Top Bottom