• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

True but it's still a hassle and I actually deleted an email from the trash by accident too.

Pretty silly on my behalf but not having a sort of confirmation to delete and missing the mark by moving your finger a few mm extra is dumb.

Well the feature would become useless if it asked me for confirmation every time.

Enco

Well the feature would become useless if it asked me for confirmation every time.
Either that or just make it so you actually have to tap delete.

Just swiping is too easy. A swipe followed by tapping on the button is the best thing. At least give us the opportunity to disable it.

Ninja Dom

I haven't installed it yet. At first glance it seems a bit of a meh update.

But iMessage is VERY important to me so the updates here seem to be the biggest updates to me.

What's performance like on a 5S?

Ninja Dom

Awesome OP. I posted some impressions of iOS 8 GM running on my iPad 4th gen in the WWDC14 thread. Since then, I've installed it on my iPhone 5s, and here are my impressions:

• It's faster/performs better than iOS 7.1.x in most situations. Touch ID unlock is surprisingly faster, it impresses me every time. Spotlight never lags (a first for iOS). Animations are smooth and responsive (just like iOS 7.1, maybe slightly better - could be placebo, though). Scrolling through pages inside folders presents a weird behavior: sometimes, during the scroll gesture, the next page appears blank for a split second before the apps appear, which is something that never happened in iOS 7.1.
  • The lack of a "Camera Roll" album sucks big time. I'm used to follow this workflow to switch wallpapers: Settings -> Wallpaper -> Choose New Wallpaper -> Camera Roll. Now, with the "Recently Added" album replacing the camera roll, I can never get to my old wallpapers, so I need to create a Wallpaper album and keep updating it manually or remember to enter the Photos app and switch wallpapers using the Share sheet. I imagine this also sucks for photo sharing inside other apps. I hope this shortcoming gets fixed when iCloud Photo Library launches next month.
  • Health app rules with M7. I use the M7 chip for tracking steps, most of the times. The step tracking data is so rich it actually keeps track of individual strides, so I know how many steps I took in a row when I go out for a walk, and not just in total for the day. I just keep the Steps graph in the dashboard, and it already makes the app very useful for me.
I'll update this post with more impressions after I spend more time with it and some third-party apps and extensions designed for iOS 8 come out.

edit: Some of the bugs I've seen in iOS 8 GM running on my iPad 4th gen:

Awesome Post

LeleSocho

Banned
Chill peeps. Just because older hardware runs an OS doesn't mean it runs as well as current hardware. Your 4S will run it fine bro. Jeez.

Congrats on discovering warm water i guess, why did you think i made the question in the first place? Since iOS8 isn't a complete overhaul of the gui of the system like iOS7 was i was asking people who tried it if it is still snappy or not, then you arrive with an ignorant statement and with a "ur question is dumb lol" type of comment...

Seriously if you can't help and on top of that you don't know what you are talking about restrain yourself from posting.

Anno

To those using the GM, what is the ONE thing you're most impressed with in iOS 8?

I don't have a Mac so a decent amount of the current new functionality is lost. Quick Reply on messages is great, though, and quick delete/archive for emails. Mostly I'm just waiting for mass app updates to see what crazy new stuff devs come up with.

I also seem to get slightly better battery life, mostly because the new battery stats gave me a few apps to target as particularly egregious.

Majine

Banned
I think this release more than any before it, the real deal starts when it actually launches rather than at the GM.

lexi

Banned
To those using the GM, what is the ONE thing you're most impressed with in iOS 8?

iMessages is the most improved IMO. Being able to see all photos from a contact, turning off notifications, sharing location, voice messages that self-destruct, it's all really good.

Majine

Banned
On OSX in mail, you can enter a name of a group in your contacts and you can send that mail to everyone in that group. I can't believe that iOS still does not have that. It's so convenient.

Making and answering calls through my Mac for me, which is far more useful than I anticipated, but I guess that's mostly Yosemite's doing.

Yosemite in fact is a far more impressive update than iOS8 and overshadows it greatly.
There's nice stuff here, Siri is better, Spotlight faster and more useful, interactive notifications are a time saver, etc but there's nothing that's gonna blow you away or anything.

Mindwipe

Networking is crazy bad. The wifi menu doesn't pick up open spots unless you go back and forth a half dozen times, and the latency of picking up a connection, which was already slow in iOS7, has got worse.

noomi

I don't get this new tethering thing.....

Seems like it works exactly the same as before, I enable personal hotspot on my phone, go into wi-fi on my macbook, connect done.... What's so special about this new one?

Also... looks like icloud photo library is gone now.... good. Honestly I prefer having two separate albums, one for stream, and for camera roll, and then a separate tab altogether for shared streams.

CraigMcD

I don't get this new tethering thing.....

Seems like it works exactly the same as before, I enable personal hotspot on my phone, go into wi-fi on my macbook, connect done.... What's so special about this new one?

You can set it up directly from your MacBook now. The iPhone will show up in the WiFi connection list automatically.

Mindwipe

Battery was awful (and I do mean awful) for the first few days, but it seems to have stabilised and the framerate is less chuggy too. I wonder if the cache building process is a bit heavier than it was for the first 36 hours.

Since so many of iOS 8's consumer-facing features rely on Yosemite I guess they'll keep a lot of it back until the October event where they can really show both off together and unlock everything with a quick 8.1 update.

billeh

There's a metric assload of features in the photos app now in terms of editing. Seriously has a knob for everything. Saturation, Contrast, Shadows, Exposure, Black Point. The 'auto enhance' feature also seems to have improved a bit, and you can further tweak your photos with all the aforementioned additions.

GWX

I'm reading iOS 8 is really sluggish on the iPad, this true?

Read my impressions, iPad 4th gen. It's a little sluggish, with stutters happening in places iOS 7.1 didn't. I hope it gets better with subsequent updates quickly, instead of having to wait until early next year for iOS 8.1, like they did this year with 7.1 =(

Awesome Post

Thanks ;) I'll update it with more impressions by the weekend.

Read my impressions, iPad 4th gen. It's a little sluggish, with stutters happening in places iOS 7.1 didn't. I hope it gets better with subsequent updates quickly, instead of having to wait until early next year for iOS 8.1, like they did this year with 7.1 =(

Thanks ;) I'll update it with more impressions by the weekend.

So two years in a year apple makes the iPad experience WORSE with the iOS update, great job apple

Regarding the iCloud Drive talk... It actually does work exactly as we'd all assumed, that is to be just like Dropbox.
Anybody tried this:

https://beta.icloud.com

There are options to upload and download any files you have stored in the cloud, and as it appears on the web it seems like it'll be accessible anywhere.
I just tested creating a folder online, uploading an image to it using my laptop Finder and downloading that same file from my desktop browser.
Works fine, exactly like Dropbox.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Regarding the iCloud Drive talk... It actually does work exactly as we'd all assumed, that is to be just like Dropbox.
Anybody tried this:

There are options to upload and download any files you have stored in the cloud, and as it appears on the web it seems like it'll be accessible anywhere.
I just tested creating a folder online, uploading an image to it using my laptop Finder and downloading that same file from my desktop browser.
Well what keeps me from actually switching completely is the lack of an iOS iCloud browser. I can't even open the Beta iCloud site on my iPhone. It's 403 Forbidden. And it doesn't show thumbnails for image files which makes putting a folder of images in there useless. Also no Dock icon. And most importantly, you can't put symlinks in it. They just will not be processed at all. Needs a lot more work.

Well what keeps me from actually switching completely is the lack of an iOS iCloud browser. I can't even open the Beta iCloud site on my iPhone. It's 403 Forbidden. And it doesn't show thumbnails for image files which makes putting a folder of images in there useless. Also no Dock icon. And most importantly, you can't put symlinks in it. They just will not be processed at all. Needs a lot more work.

Yeah it is a bit crap right now undoubtably, you're definitely right in that it needs a lot of refinement.
It's promising though as the current functionality it has seems to suggest it'll be more than a glorified document picker and should (hopefully) be a true Dropbox alternative once it's all finished.
I'd imagine once it's all done and fully integrated into the final version of Yosemite then they'll work on incorporating it into iOS8..... but maybe that's just wishful thinking :)

ramyeon

Either that or just make it so you actually have to tap delete.

Just swiping is too easy. A swipe followed by tapping on the button is the best thing. At least give us the opportunity to disable it.
I can't see the issue with the swipe to delete myself. It seems to require a pretty extended across screen swipe to delete an email, as opposed to a quick half screen swipe to access the menu.

Anybody tried this:

under settings there is a link to install it on windows.
DG5EUBo.png

Apple Approving iOS 8-Optimized Apps, but Extensions Not Working Properly Yet

Apple has already begun approving some of these iOS 8-optimized apps, but a few high-profile developers are finding that some of their highly anticipated extensions are not working properly in the updated apps being distributed through the App Store. While only a small subset of iOS users are affected due to limited distribution of the iOS 8 golden master released to developers last week, the issue has been a concerning one for developers trying to diagnose it.

One example is OmniFocus 2 for iPhone [Direct Link], which will include an extension to add an OmniFocus list of tasks to the "Today" view in Notification Center. In the iOS 8-optimized version of OmniFocus 2 released over the weekend and a bug fix released yesterday, the Today view is currently not being properly populated with data from OmniFocus itself.

A similar issue is occurring with popular calculator app PCalc [Direct Link], and both issues appear to be related to code signing on Apple's end. PCalc developer James Thomson has been in touch with Apple and received word that the company is indeed working on the problem.

All indications are that this is a problem Apple will thankfully be able to fix without requiring developers to submit new versions of their apps, and presumably the company will have it fixed in time for the public release of iOS 8 tomorrow.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/16/ios-8-apps-approved-extensions-broken/

Mindwipe

Did anyone else start getting notification spam from the Tips app this morning?

As if it's existence wasn't bad enough as is.

So bummed that this is gonna be the first iOS update that I'll be missing out on (still stuck with an iPhone 4 til the end of the year, and then I'll upgrade to the 5S or 6) but everything about the connectivity between Macs and iPhones getting expanded is awesome. Especially with them adding texts to iMessage since I'm usually texting more from my Mac than my phone these days.

jstripes

Banned
Did anyone else start getting notification spam from the Tips app this morning?

As if it's existence wasn't bad enough as is.

You'd be surprised how many "basic" iOS tricks people don't know.

My dad took two years to discover the home button double-click thing.

Noema

They shouldn't. It's a good question. Certain iOS releases have killed old iPhones. I think an iPhone 3G running iOS4 was as good as junk.

iPhone 4 running iOS7 was no picnic either... But with 7.1 it became pretty good.

I have not used iOS 8 on a 4s but I'll imagine it'll be fine.

The iPhone 3G and the 4 were never very snappy phones to begin with. The iPhone 3G had the same internals as the original iPhone and a lot of compromises had to be made. The 4 had to deal with the burden of being the first retina display device while not being much faster than the 3Gs. It was also the last single core device Apple sold (along with the 4g iPod touch). The only reason Apple supported it for so long was its huge install base.

With the A5 the 4s was the first iPhone that felt truly super smooth. There's a huge gap between A5 devices and those who came before. It's not surprising Apple still sells a ton of devices that still use it since it performs very well and probably costs them next to nothing at this point .

Top Bottom