• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

KtSlime

Really good update to the JP dictionary Midori iOS app just happened if anyone is interested.

I use Japanese, have you used it, how does midori compare? I like that I read it has a names list, which would be good for flashcards, but does it have any killer feature that the other don't?

raiot

Took them long enough that I honestly don't even use the app anymore...It looks decent now, huge upgrade from before.

You don't use Whatsapp anymore?
What do you use for messaging? Whatsapp is nearly everywhere here in germany, no one would say: I don't use whatsapp anymore... :)

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I use Japanese, have you used it, how does midori compare? I like that I read it has a names list, which would be good for flashcards, but does it have any killer feature that the other don't?

Japanese crashes for me all the time in iOS7 but aside from that I can't say there's a big difference. Midori uses more dictionaries I think (same set as tangorin.com I think, including examples). Midori has drawn out stroke order vs. Japanese's animated ones. Both have dedicated buttons for hand-drawn characters but I think they're using different systems as neither seem to use the default iOS chinese character recognition, so one might be better than the other. If you look up a verb I think Japanese has common compounds and Midori doesn't.

I think Midori just launches faster for me so if it's a quick word lookup I use it more than the other apps. For other tasks, Japanese (or other apps) might be better.

Mindwipe

Took them long enough that I honestly don't even use the app anymore...It looks decent now, huge upgrade from before.

It still looks awful.

Just less awful.

You'd have thought the UI would at least have decided on one out of blue or green (i.e. stripped out the blue).

Ideally it needed to take some of the abstraction out of it's interface - remove much of the toolbars, use more photographic wallpapers and blurring. Basically, steal Yahoo's iOS7 design language.

snap0212

Does anyone use Pocket Casts as a Podcast App? I've been using it on my cell phone (Android) for a while and am now wondering if it synchs between the devices. The product description only mentions IOS devices but I don't see why they'd not support android as well as it relies on a Pocket Cast account.

X-Frame

The Groove Music Player was updated for iOS 7 for iPhone and it looks pretty good! I really like a lot of it's features.

Anyone here use NextIssue? Thinking of getting a subscription for my girlfriend for Xmas (well, one of her gifts at least). She usually buys like 3-4 magazines a month at the grocery store, so seems like it's worth it. My only concern is the app -- does it work well? Easy to use?

chunk3rvd

Anyone have any experience using Onavo Extend? Just got a 5S with a 4G plan and in 3 days I've somehow used 300MB of my monthly 2GB so looking for ways to reduce my bandwidth

Is it safe and are there any negatives to it? I've noticed it sets a VPN up on my phone which it never used to do a year or so ago when I had it on my 4S

mackaveli

I'm getting an iPad Air this weekend and want to know what apps I should download (free) / or purchase anything under $20.

I would like to research any suggestions prior to getting the iPad Air.

I cannot wait.

Thanks.

DarkJC

Does anyone use Pocket Casts as a Podcast App? I've been using it on my cell phone (Android) for a while and am now wondering if it synchs between the devices. The product description only mentions IOS devices but I don't see why they'd not support android as well as it relies on a Pocket Cast account.

Sorry I've only synced between my iOS devices but frankly since it uses their own sync it must also sync with the Android version. It's great on iOS though, best podcast app out there in my opinion.

Anyone have any experience using Onavo Extend? Just got a 5S with a 4G plan and in 3 days I've somehow used 300MB of my monthly 2GB so looking for ways to reduce my bandwidth

Is it safe and are there any negatives to it? I've noticed it sets a VPN up on my phone which it never used to do a year or so ago when I had it on my 4S

that's what it does to save you some coinage.

don't worry about the vpn.

PFD

I'm getting an iPad Air this weekend and want to know what apps I should download (free) / or purchase anything under $20.

I would like to research any suggestions prior to getting the iPad Air.

I cannot wait.

Thanks.

I made this post a while ago

Unstuck (helps you solve your problems using your creativity)
Zite/Flipboard (great news apps)
Dark Sky (100% accurate rain alerts with push notifications)
Skitch (quick and easy image marking)
Pocket (save articles for offline reading)
Dropbox
speedtest.net
Khan Academy (tons of free educational videos)
Color Uncovered/Sound Uncovered
Our Choice (demonstrates the power of interactive books. Apple later copied it with iBooks Author)
Wonders of the Universe
Back in Time
MagicPlan (create a floor plan using your device's camera)
Lift (helps you build new habits)
How to Cook Everything (the only iPad cooking book you'll ever need)
Duolingo (learn a new language for free!)

ParityBit

Hey guys,

Does anyone use splashtop 2? If so, is it worth it? I have the app but I noticed you need to pay a monthly fee now, or am I missing something?

Overall how does it work? I used it MANY moons ago and it was "okay"

PFD

Hey guys,

Does anyone use splashtop 2? If so, is it worth it? I have the app but I noticed you need to pay a monthly fee now, or am I missing something?

Overall how does it work? I used it MANY moons ago and it was "okay"

You have to pay a fee if you're using it online (away from home.) It's free over LAN, and works quite well (very low latency)

LogMeIn is free online, but has high latency

ParityBit

You have to pay a fee if you're using it online (away from home.) It's free over LAN, and works quite well (very low latency)

LogMeIn is free online, but has high latency

Oh it is free over the LAN? Some reason I thought you had to pay. Just need to put in the local IP address?

How would it work for games such as starbound? Or is it too slow for that?

Mr. Reader's iOS 7 Update is here, long changelog.

What's New in Version 3.0
[NEW FEATURES]
• Redesigned for iOS 7 (Mr. Reader now requires iOS 7)
• New app icon
• Support for devices with 64-bit processor
• Automatic background synchronization (disabled by default)
• Aol Reader added as an additional RSS sync service. Article tagging support is not currently implemented but will be added once the API is updated to provide the necessary functionality

AND MORE

X-Frame

If I already use Reeder for iPad, is there any reason for my to use Mr. Reader? I do have it as well, I bought it before Reeder was updated, but now I seem to prefer Reeder.

If I already use Reeder for iPad, is there any reason for my to use Mr. Reader? I do have it as well, I bought it before Reeder was updated, but now I seem to prefer Reeder.

Well I like that Mr. Reader shows images next to news stories in the feed, but I have found that when using Mr. Reader with Feedly it follows the 30-day limit Feedly has. I have found that feeds in Reader show articles older than 30 days while Reader removes articles older than that like you get on Feedly's site or apps. But there is not really a reason to go back. I too have switched to Reader, but redownload Mr. Reader to check it out.

Mr. Reader also has search.

PFD

Guys, I urgently need an alarm clock app for iPad. Which is the best one?

This is hands down the best alarm clock on the app store, as it wakes you up at exactly the right time to feel most refreshed. But I don't think it would work with an iPad, because you have to put it in bed with you (under pillow, strap to your arm, tuck under covers, etc) to sense your movements.

This one works really well on the iPad and looks gorgeous. I also used it for weather info before finding this weather app which I now use exclusively on both my phone and iPad.

Of course, there's also the stock Clock app if you don't wanna buy an additional app.

Out 1

Whatsapp's previous icon was driving me crazy.

One of the reasons why I delayed jumping back to iPhone from my Nexus 4 was exactly this. The other is getting my order of the iPhone skin made out of concrete. It feels just perfect; never liked the design choice of aluminium. Aesthetically aluminium is great, but I do not like the tactile perception of it.

Heel

Instapaper will be free tonight.

What's everyone using for RSS these days? Reeder 2 + Instapaper? Flipboard, something else? This will be a good excuse for me to stop visiting websites randomly and just get a feed going. Looking for a combination that'll sync seemlessly across iPad and iPhone.

X-Frame

What's everyone using for RSS these days? Reeder 2 + Instapaper? Flipboard, something else? This will be a good excuse for me to stop visiting websites randomly and just get a feed going. Looking for a combination that'll sync seemlessly across iPad and iPhone.

I use Reeder 2 for iOS, plus ReadKit for Mac which doubles for RSS feeds as well as Pocket, which I use to save and tag articles.

I had Intapaper but I thought Pocket was better in every way that was important to me at least, especially the use of tags which I thought was huge. Also, it seemed to handle pictures and videos better, but when then it still has it's issues with some websites I frequent.

Nyrad

Feedly on Desktop, iPhone and iPad + Pocket :)

FerranMG

I'm using the original Reeder on the iPhone, and Pulse on the iPad.
Pocket in both of them.

I've been looking for something better than Pulse for ages, because the latest updates have turned it into a not so great app. But using an older version of it still beats any other app I have tried for the iPad. It's such a shame the direction in which Pulse has gone.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Are there any known issues with HeyDay and Quip on the latest verison of ios7? Both appear as dim icons and will not open. When I attempt to uninstall HeyDay it says I will be deleting "(null)" and nothing happens. When I attempt to uninstall Quip, it wants to uninstall Mailbox...

I'm looking to buy some decent interactive books for my younger cousin. She got an iPad for Christmas and it's already loaded with games (Minecraft, Angry Birds, et cetera) so I figured I'd help out in this department. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Vyer

I'm looking to buy some decent interactive books for my younger cousin. She got an iPad for Christmas and it's already loaded with games (Minecraft, Angry Birds, et cetera) so I figured I'd help out in this department. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

How old? My son is 5 and he's really enjoyed these so far:

Don't Let the Pigeon Run This App
La Luna Storybook
The Trip: Little Critter Reading Adventure
Don't Open Before Christmas
Charlie Brown Christmas

mrkgoo

SO I imagine you all have downloaded Apple's 12 Days of gifts app, whereby they introduce a free iTunes item each day from December 26th for 12 days.

Previously, it was not available for US, but this year it has.

Normally it doesn't give you anything until the promotion starts, but I opend it today, and I got a free singles album (Lorde) with a music video and new single.

Did you guys in US get anything?

Minamu

Yet again I find myself feeling like an idiot for even asking xD But the default headset you get with an iPhone 4s (and possible all the others I guess), does that headset have a microphone built in as well for calls?

Iacobellis

Yet again I find myself feeling like an idiot for even asking xD But the default headset you get with an iPhone 4s (and possible all the others I guess), does that headset have a microphone built in as well for calls?

Yes. You can answer them with the Play/Pause button.

mrkgoo

Cool, I'll have to try it one day soon. I've probably missed a ton of features because I didn't read the manual entirely. I can make calls too right? ;)

It has three buttons, volume up/down and play/pause.

While playing music, double click to skip forward, triple click to go back I think.

Long press button and you will activate Siri and form there you can ask her to make calls and so on.

Minamu

It has three buttons, volume up/down and play/pause.

While playing music, double click to skip forward, triple click to go back I think.

Long press button and you will activate Siri and form there you can ask her to make calls and so on.
Indeed, that's what I asked about last time. Thanks :)

Top Bottom