• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

rezuth

I don't know if you're allowed to promote your own apps here, if not let me know and I will delete this post.

Me and a buddy have made a kids app: Preschool Professor - Math

Screenshot:
pXHoiAO.png

It's our first attempt at anything really, (well, second, but first attempt was more just to wrap my head around Objective C), so if someone here would like to check it out and give some feedback, I would appreciate it.

Here are some promo codes, it probably makes most sense for people with kids to try it out, but any feedback is welcome:

YMNXAH677TRP
99JNTTNE3AT3
KWNXPEJEH3RY
73EJY9K4FT9J
M6TM7RLWFR7P
4MMMPAR9JWER
L6AALRXWHM3P
PPTPFWHYXP6W
E6WET66JR6TA
LTFT99XM33LN

Just from that screenshot I think you guys need to work on the presentation a bit. The art is minimalistic and lovely but it's just a mess and it doesn't stand out directly that it's 3-2 that's the question. Just need to rethink how you visually present it a bit.

Seems there is no way to back once you pressed on one of the "tests"

Are these predone cards? I think just having it random would be better if that's the case.

Not sure I like the idea that the color buttons stay the same color but the numbers changes, i feel like that might cause confusion on some level. At least based on my experience with autistic children.

The animation is a bit sparse but I appreciate the effort and I like the detail that you can always click them to play it.

I'm gonna try this out tomorrow or so with my sisters daughter who is almost two so ill report back once I did.
P

Do you have kids?

I do, yeah, but a little older than our target group.

The kids we have tested it on have responded well to it, i.e. they like the icons, they like pressing the buttons and so on.

Everything animates and gives out sound...

Just from that screenshot I think you guys need to work on the presentation a bit. The art is minimalistic and lovely but it's just a mess and it doesn't stand out directly that it's 3-2 that's the question. Just need to rethink how you visually present it a bit.

Seems there is no way to back once you pressed on one of the "tests"

Are these predone cards? I think just having it random would be better if that's the case.

The animation is a bit sparse but I appreciate the effort and I like the detail that you can always click them to play it.

I'm gonna try this out tomorrow or so with my sisters daughter who is almost two so ill report back once I did.

The questions are completely random generated, the icons, the number of icons, the colours and the possible answers.

You can actually go back by sliding, I know this is not obvious. It's something we're working on to improve on.

Thanks for giving it a try out.

Enco

What's a good note taking app and/or PDF reader with highlighting/, bookmarking or annotations
PDF Expert

Every other PDF app is ugly as fuck. No idea why it's so hard to make a good PDF app that doesn't look like shit.

PDF Expert can use some features but it works really well. It looks good and has lots of annotation features. By far the best PDF reader out there.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm been testing Puffin Browser for a few days and i like it a lot is FAST very fast and with flash as a bonus.
There is a free version if you want to try it.

Thanks, I already own that (just using it for flash).

I'm more interested in User Interface improvements than in speed. Anything innovative to share?

Noema

Took them 2 months, but Dropbox finally released 3.0 with an iOS 7 look.

Now if only Whatsapp updated its gaudy, ugly-ass App which am forced to use because everyone here uses it.

dream

Still waiting for the motherfucking GoodReader update that makes the motherfucking app actually work on motherfucking iOS 7. Jesus. I bet those motherfuckers will charge for it too.

Motherfuck.

Maximus.

Took them 2 months, but Dropbox finally released 3.0 with an iOS 7 look.

Now if only Whatsapp updated it's gaudy, ugly-ass App which am forced to use because everyone here uses it.

I find it ridiculous that what'sapp has yet to update at all. They have had months before release to get their shit together, and there is still no sign of an update. I don't use the app much anymore because it seems a lot of people I know have moved on to Facebook messenger or bbm.

Cr0wn0

Still waiting for the motherfucking GoodReader update that makes the motherfucking app actually work on motherfucking iOS 7. Jesus. I bet those motherfuckers will charge for it too.

Motherfuck.

They really have no excuse the updates on Facebook have been few and far between. The app is completely unusable for me and crashes every 5 minutes. I have no issues paying for a new app but at least fix the old one for the time being. Blows me away how stupid these dev's can be at times.

Noema

Have you guys trying using the older rendering engine for Goodreader? It's slower but it completely fixed my crashing issues and I'm on a precambrian iPhone 4.

dream

They really have no excuse the updates on Facebook have been few and far between. The app is completely unusable for me and crashes every 5 minutes. I have no issues paying for a new app but at least fix the old one for the time being. Blows me away how stupid these dev's can be at times.

GoodReader's Facebook page is infuriating. They have time to post articles and reviews of their app--effectively promoting software that doesn't actually work on the latest iOS devices, and any device that has been updated to iOS 7--but they won't issue a patch because they're busy working on the next major upgrade? Really?

Cr0wn0

Have you guys trying using the older rendering engine for Goodreader? It's slower but it completely fixed my crashing issues and I'm on a precambrian iPhone 4.

I have it's been hit or miss with how long it takes for it to ultimately crash. I'm not even viewing PDF"s, I'm usually working with powerpoints.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Can Fantastical 2 import all my stuff from Fantastical or does it just feed off of my Calendar and get all the same information anyways?

Can Fantastical 2 import all my stuff from Fantastical or does it just feed off of my Calendar and get all the same information anyways?

Calendar data just gets read from the calendar as before, nicely they did implement an import of your settings from 1.

http://shawnblanc.net/2013/10/review-fantastical-2-iphone/ said:
AUTO-IMPORT YOUR SETTINGS
Your Fantastical 1 settings auto-import into Fantastical 2.

This seems like a non-trivial thing, right? We’re used to updating our apps and having our settings persist through the update.

But with developers releasing new, iOS 7-only, paid updates to their apps, a paid update like this is actually like installing a new app. Of course your calendars sync right up, but your app-specific display settings — such as having weekends highlighted, if days with no events show up in the day ticker, etc.. — are imported from Fantastical 1 into Fantastical 2. It’s the sort of thing you’d only notice if it didn’t happen.

Minamu

Might as well ask in here I guess. With Spotify, is there any way to change tracks via your Apple ear buds or anything? Taking out the phone from my pocket is a hassle, not to mention that the buttons on screen have an incredibly sluggish press registration. at least on a 4S.

PFD

Motherfuck.

Hmmm it works fine on my iPad Air. Absolutely no crashes, my only complaint is the slow rendering of huge PDF files.

Dany

Banned
Might as well ask in here I guess. With Spotify, is there any way to change tracks via your Apple ear buds or anything? Taking out the phone from my pocket is a hassle, not to mention that the buttons on screen have an incredibly sluggish press registration. at least on a 4S.
with every other app that plays music, double tap the center button to skip forward, triple tap to restart the song or go to the previous song,

Dany

Banned
Holy shit, what sorcery is this? :lol I had no idea that button even existed. Big thanks!
lol no problem.

PDF Expert

Every other PDF app is ugly as fuck. No idea why it's so hard to make a good PDF app that doesn't look like shit.

PDF Expert can use some features but it works really well. It looks good and has lots of annotation features. By far the best PDF reader out there.

I forgot to that you. That app is pure magic and does everything I need it too. Having Dropbox support within the app itself is just perfect.

PDF Expert

Thanks so much for posting this. Just the app I needed - excellent stuff.

I've been looking at IFTTT, is there a way to get a recipe to either send a push notification or send an iMessage?

You'd have to send something to something else that'll push. Like email, maybe a Twitter DM, stuff like that. I don't think it can talk to iMessage, though I believe it can do ordinary SMS.

Megasoum

Banned
I use "iCatcher!" for my podcasts on my phone and it's great overall but since the last couple of days the badge icon is telling me I have a podcast ready to listen even if I don't. So for example I have 1 podcast in my playlist right now but the badge icon says 2.

Top Bottom