• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've been really into Castro (the podcast app) this week. Probably the most exciting new app I've used since the original Tweetbot. Doesn't support manual RSS adding or premium feeds. And there is few hour delay for brand new episodes since it does server side crawling itself.. but boy is it fancy and nice.

Finally jumped to ios7 on my ipone and cleared out about 57 gigs of media on it. Its like I have a new phone!!

MrGerbils

App of the Year so far for me is definitely Drake Shake

Just shake your phone to add Drake to any photos.

screen568x568.jpeg

58ea08934a3bb3fd05aaeced14ca8e98.jpg

BbYXHCCIYAAompV.jpg

BbZqQS9IUAAo42A.jpg

images

tumblr_mxtrmkFbfz1s3kykmo1_1280.jpg

IMG_3986.png

IMG_3980.png

etc

Is Grazing ever going to get an IOS7 update? It's my favorite mobile browser due to its full screen mode and gestures. But it still uses the old keyboard and hadn't had an update in a while.

Prismatic redesign is here, along with it now being a universal app.

Prismatic is the home for all your interests.

- follow all the people and interests you care about
- find stories you wouldn’t get anywhere else
- vote with like and dislike
- comment on stories, talk with friends, post on prismatic and share Twitter and Facebook

Afrodium

Banned
Is there a way to customize Flipboard like an RSS reader? I would like to compile multiple news sources into a magazine, so that all the gaming blogs are in a gaming magazine, all the news outlets are in my news magazine, etc. Flipboard's stock categories are set up this way, but I can't figure out how to curate them myself. I really like the layout of this app, but I can't see it replacing my news reader if it won't allow me to compile my own feeds into folders.

Blackhead

Redarse
Any good tv tracker/episode notifier app for the iPad? Preferably one that doesn't require signing up with Facebook or weird website accounts

Quick

Banned
Is there a way to customize Flipboard like an RSS reader? I would like to compile multiple news sources into a magazine, so that all the gaming blogs are in a gaming magazine, all the news outlets are in my news magazine, etc. Flipboard's stock categories are set up this way, but I can't figure out how to curate them myself. I really like the layout of this app, but I can't see it replacing my news reader if it won't allow me to compile my own feeds into folders.

Feedly is your friend for RSS.

I do love Flipboard, but I wish it would let us customize feeds. Next best thing you can do is subscribe to a community curated feed, but no guarantee that those are updated regularly.

Vyer

Any good tv tracker/episode notifier app for the iPad? Preferably one that doesn't require signing up with Facebook or weird website accounts

I think most of them require some sort of login. The ones I am aware of - iTV, SideReel and TV Forecast - all do I believe.

Show Tracker! And Episodes! are both newer ones that might not have the requirement. Might want to check them out.

I think most of them require some sort of login. The ones I am aware of - iTV, SideReel and TV Forecast - all do I believe.

Show Tracker! And Episodes! are both newer ones that might not have the requirement. Might want to check them out.

You might want to keep an eye on TeeVee

Version 2 isn't iPad Native at the moment I believe but you can still run it on iPad. Looks like version 3 will be when it comes out. Free update as well.

You don't need any stupid logins our accounts as well. Just syncs via iCloud and off you go.

Vyer

Version 2 isn't iPad Native at the moment I believe but you can still run it on iPad. Looks like version 3 will be when it comes out. Free update as well.

You don't need any stupid logins our accounts as well. Just syncs via iCloud and off you go.

iTV Shows 3 doesn't require any account. Just syncs with iCloud and is the best series tracking app out there.

Sweet. There you go, Greyface.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So what's the best YouTube app currently? Has the default one gotten better? What are the new McTube and Jasmine apps like, or are there any new better apps?

I'm currently using the old McTube which has since been removed because it lets you cache videos. Don't really use that feature anymore, especially so because I keep my phone filled to the brim. Some of the bugs like descriptions not loading in and some reloading and video compatibility issues have me looking for a replacement.

So what's the best YouTube app currently? Has the default one gotten better? What are the new McTube and Jasmine apps like, or are there any new better apps?

I'm currently using the old McTube which has since been removed because it lets you cache videos. Don't really use that feature anymore, especially so because I keep my phone filled to the brim. Some of the bugs like descriptions not loading in and some reloading and video compatibility issues have me looking for a replacement.

MxTube, the new, better McTube. Totally worth the pro upgrade .

HUELEN10

Best iOS Youtube player is, hands down, YouPlayer. It is excellent because it has background audio, SEPARATE resolution settings for cellular and wi-fi connections (480p for cell/720p wi-fi for me), the ability to see comments and kick to safari for links and stuff, and it is the only player that allows you to see a user's favorites! It treats vids like if you were watching them on PC, so you do see some vids that may not work on other players. Best of all, it's free with maybe a 1-2 USD in-app purchase to get rid of ads. If you go for it, you get the addition of a kid's corner.

Seriously, I must have gone through 30 paid/free youtube apps, and this is the keeper in my eyes.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Best iOS Youtube player is, hands down, YouPlayer. It is excellent because it has background audio, SEPARATE resolution settings for cellular and wi-fi connections (480p for cell/720p wi-fi for me), the ability to see comments and kick to safari for links and stuff, and it is the only player that allows you to see a user's favorites! It treats vids like if you were watching them on PC, so you do see some vids that may not work on other players. Best of all, it's free with maybe a 1-2 USD in-app purchase to get rid of ads. If you go for it, you get the addition of a kid's corner.

Seriously, I must have gone through 30 paid/free youtube apps, and this is the keeper in my eyes.

Thanks for the recommendation, and...

OMG Huelen is unbanned??????

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MxTube, the new, better McTube. Totally worth the pro upgrade .
I downloaded both the new McTube and MxTube and they are exactly the same. That's no hyperbole either, the only difference I saw in any of the menus was that in one the cache is called a cache and the other is called My Videos. Same menus, same ads, same everything.

Just downloaded this too. While setting the wifi and cellular resolution independently is a fantastic feature, it seems everything else is less accessible (such as subs) because everything is filed under the more tab outside of search. Wasted space at the bottom with the Kids Space which is useless to me.

I kept my McTube at 360p because my home wifi is sort of flaky, I think I'm going to side with convenience here unless there's something that has both.

HUELEN10

Just downloaded this too. While setting the wifi and cellular resolution independently is a fantastic feature, it seems everything else is less accessible (such as subs) because everything is filed under the more tab outside of search. Wasted space at the bottom with the Kids Space which is useless to me.

It's just like the music app though; you can choose what 4 things appear on the dock to your liking. Personally, I have Most Popular, Trending, History, Search, and More.

I downloaded both the new McTube and MxTube and they are exactly the same. That's no hyperbole either, the only difference I saw in any of the menus was that in one the cache is called a cache and the other is called My Videos. Same menus, same ads, same everything.

Oh I guess they finally got around to updating McTube. For a while McTube disappeared from the app store. And while the original McTube started giving me issues with Copyrighted videos, thats no longer the case with mctube/mxtube.

Id still go with MxTube for the better icon. :)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Can you recommend me a App, where I can upload pictures to pictureshosters like imageshack or other? I am not looking for a specific one.

Searched after official ones of the big pages, but found nothing.

Heel

Can you recommend me a App, where I can upload pictures to pictureshosters like imageshack or other? I am not looking for a specific one.

Searched after official ones of the big pages, but found nothing.

Imgur's official app seems fine. Picup always got the job done and has Dropbox support, but it doesn't look like it's getting updated for iOS 7 any time soon.

Blackhead

Redarse

iTV Shows 3 doesn't require any account. Just syncs with iCloud and is the best series tracking app out there.

follow up reviews. I tried out Teevee, Televised 2 and iTV Shows 3:

• Teevee is the slickest but also the simplest. I use my tv tracker for upcoming episodes and for the backlog shows I'm watching on Netflix/Bluray. Teevee can't handle the latter use case and is a bit unwieldy if you add more than a couple shows. No iPad app (yet)
  • iTV Shows' iPhone app is an uglier, more cluttered, version of the Teevee design. It's buggy as well; i saw some graphical glitches. The iPad version is much better though. It supports both my use cases.
  • Televised still looks a lot like an iOS6 app (albeit a decently designed one). It's the most functional design though; it correctly alerted me that there were 2 Community episodes airing last Thursday which Teevee and iTV failed to indicate. It supports my first use case the best and only partly supports the second use case. No iPad app
Overall, the best experience is with the iTV iPad app. Alerts are better on the phone and for that I'll stick with Televised.
Android has the best looking tv tracker app :O

sruckus

So I just came across from a screenshot the app PicLab.

screen568x568.jpeg

Holy crap, that's how you do flat design and make it look nice and unique. Illustrations and icons seem to be what help a lot. It's a nice breath of fresh air from the boring flat "redesigns" that everyone is throwing out like Tweetbot and Dropbox. If only I actually wanted to use the app.

Gila

Who gives a fuck? It's free. Someone could use it for a small sized random backup without having to pay a subscription.

Deku Tree

Who gives a fuck? It's free. Someone could use it for a small sized random backup without having to pay a subscription.

Then use it... I actually have a 50gb box account through my job... the 4.0.X software is great on my Mac... the 3.x software was terrible junk...

But the point is saying "OMGZ 50gb FREE" is not really true. Its quite hard to get to using 50gb with only 40000 files allowed and only 250mb allowed per file... so they're not really offering 50gb, its 50gb* which is just a marketing gimmick.

Oh and Box also refuses to sync apps. If your file is called "X.app" in Mac OS X then Box will pretend it doesn't exist.

Dany

Banned
I want to train for a marathon. What apps is useful. I've been using nike+ running for four years and I can pump out a 7 mile jog easy. Might as well try for 26.2.
:p

I want to train for a marathon. What apps is useful. I've been using nike+ running for four years and I can pump out a 7 mile jog easy. Might as well try for 26.2.
:p

I like Strava. You can compare your route times with other people who have run the same route, so you can "race" other people if you so desired. It gives you the typical trophies for running your fastest segments, or your longest segments, and a variety of others. Saves your previous runs. I think you can export the data too. I don't use it all the time, but it's been great when I have.

I just bought a Retina Mini (giftcard bonus from work!) and I've been spending most of my time looking for apps.

I already have an Android phone (Note 2) and (Nexus 10) so I don't really need any of the cross platform apps i already have and use on my Android devices (Podcasting, bunch of games, etc.).

BUT it is kinda nice to have a device in the Apple ecosystem for once, but now I have to find all the iOS-exclusive apps I've missed out on over the years. Having Peggle on a handheld device is fantastic (Damn you for never bringing that to Android, Popcap!), I downloaded Phoenix Wright (played most of them on DS, but not all) and Ghost Trick (my favorite DS game and I don't mind paying for it again!).
Infinity Blade 3 was also on sale so I picked that up. Would have liked to pick up the first two, but they were kind of expensive (IB3 was on sale) and I figure that the games are all fairly similar anyways.

I had an iPhone 5 for 2 weeks before returning it (screen was too small for me) so I did have a few apps that carried over, like the Mercury browser that is one of my favorites on iOS. I can put buttons on the bottom of the screen so it's easier to use (back, forward, new tab, etc.) and you can turn on a scroll bar so you can quickly scroll without having to constantly swipe.
Coast is kind of a slick browser that I've been playing with a bit. It's from the guys who made the Opera browser, but this one is REALLY streamlined with a focus on fullscreen and gestures that work pretty well, but it's a bit tricky getting a hang on how it handles tabs.

Not sure what other apps I'm really missing at the moment, but it's kinda fun to look around for new ones to try.

I asked this in another thread as well, but figured it might get a better response here.

Could anyone suggest the best FREE OSX desktop client or Firefox extension for Twitter that supports TweetMarker? I use it in my twitter app already but i'd like a desktop solution as well.

Quick

Banned
I'm going to be updating the list again on the OP very soon.

On top of the usual add/replace/remove apps, I'll make it look less daunting of a list to go through. I was having character space limit problems as I kept adding more things to it throughout the year, so trimming it down is ideal.

That being said, new recommendations are welcome. There are a couple of things I'm definitely looking to add, like Snapchat and BBM (because we all have that one friend with a BlackBerry, or something :lol) for instance.

Top Bottom