• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

Lima

What is the best youtube app that also supports bookmarks in videos? Like I watch a video and it resumes at that position if I return later.

Furyous

What's the best iphone app that changes video into mp3s? If I wanted to convert a youtube video into an mp3 using iphone, how could I do it?

Is there an app that will let you keep notes or something in notification center? Basically like a permanent entry that I can read there until I delete it.

Shearie

Is there an app that will let you keep notes or something in notification center? Basically like a permanent entry that I can read there until I delete it.

You can KINDA do that with Reminders, because they can appear in the Today view.

I actually did that once with the default Reminders app. I made a reminder with the priority of "!!!" and never checked it off and it stayed in Today View of the NC forever. I'm actually not sure you even need to set the priority high for it to work this way.

Sort of app related... maybe?

Anyone else having problems with Google Chrome for IOS? I keep getting logged out of stuff despite telling the browser to remember me. Safari isn't having that problem. Normally this wouldn't be that large an annoyance, but I have 2 step verification for my google account which makes this problem really fucking annoying with google sites like youtube.

GWX

GAF, does anyone know a good music app for iPad? iOS 7's is quite bad, with a terrible interface and awful performance (laggy scrolling and orientation switching). Thanks in advance!

Furyous

IOS 7.1 on the i5 is good and bad. it's bad because of the constant restarts. It 's good because of nested folders. I ran into a huge problem. i'm unsure how to use them to decrease space and keep my organized screen. You can only put two apps into a folder then nest. i've got over 200 apps on two screens already. I need help.

Ambitious

Did one of the last few updates for the official YouTube app include push notifications? Within the last few days, I got notifications for each new video of my subscribed channels. I never received them before.

mrkgoo

Did one of the last few updates for the official YouTube app include push notifications? Within the last few days, I got notifications for each new video of my subscribed channels. I never received them before.

It's possible. I noticed it appear in my notification centre recently as we'll.

This may not be the right place to ask, but I recently got my father's iphone 4S and I can't seem to make my itunes accept the authorizations, even after authorizing the account several times.
Is there a way to fix this? Or maybe some different software other than itunes? (on windows 7)

GWX

This may not be the right place to ask, but I recently got my father's iphone 4S and I can't seem to make my itunes accept the authorizations, even after authorizing the account several times.
Is there a way to fix this? Or maybe some different software other than itunes? (on windows 7)

Might be a long shot, but is iTunes up to date?

mrkgoo

Not entirely sure what you mean by "accept the authorizations". What exactly are you trying to do? Reset the phone? Sync it to your computer?

Are you trying to out your dad's apple account onto your computer?

Might be a long shot, but is iTunes up to date?
I downloaded it yesterday from apple's website

Not entirely sure what you mean by "accept the authorizations". What exactly are you trying to do? Reset the phone? Sync it to your computer?

Are you trying to out your dad's apple account onto your computer?

I'm simply trying to remove the apps from the phone. I already put my older iphone's backup in it from the same PC, and I authorized the PC with my dad's credentials.

This is the error:

Searching on google, it seems that is somehow related to google contacts, but I couldn't find a solution anywhere.

mrkgoo

I downloaded it yesterday from apple's website

I'm simply trying to remove the apps from the phone. I already put my older iphone's backup in it from the same PC, and I authorized the PC with my dad's credentials.

This is the error:

Searching on google, it seems that is somehow related to google contacts, but I couldn't find a solution anywhere.

If I'm understanding correctly, you've gotten your Dad's old phone, and presumable done a restore and put YOUR iPhone backup onto it, so it shouldn't have anything to do with your Dad's credentials anymore, UNLESS you were using some of his apps on YOUR backup.

The only Apple ID that should be needed is the one that was part of your backup - presumably your own, but think about what other apps that might be part of it.

I mean, I'm still confused.

YOu say you put YOUR backup onto the phone, so what apps are you trying to remove?

The 'correct' way to handover the phone is to resotre it to factory conditions and then restore your backup on to it. YOu shouldn't need to "remove apps" (if you're talking about your Dad's apps), because everything should be gone from the restore.

Unless there's something else you're doing here. It's not clear.

Dudes,

Been using Wikiamo since the app launched but am finally ready to switch as it seems to have been abandoned. I've tried all the notable Wikipedia apps: Articles, Wikipanion, the official app, etc., and always drop them for the simplicity of Wikiamo. Are there any stand outs these days I haven't tried? What's the "best" Wikipedia app for iOS?

I really like this one. It's beautiful, but it might not be the most practical one.
I'll try it and appreciate the recommendation! I'm an extremely heavy Wikipedia user and get set in my ways pretty quickly when I like something. While my ideal outcome would be continued development of Wikiamo it's been ages since the last update so it's time to rip the bandage off.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Apologies if this is commonly known information.

I love the official Twitter app, but I hate that I can't get Push Notifications for specific users tweeting. I use the Text Message notifications for certain users but it gets annoying and it's not integrated at all in that it only includes a link to the mobile site and not the tweet itself when they Tweet. Also text messages don't go to my iPad.

Is there a third party Twitter app that lets me have Push when people Tweet? And can be customized for only regular Tweets or Retweets individually? I think I saw a screenshot that could Push specific keyword mentions but the user didn't post the app name and it doesn't mean that it can do user Tweets.

OS X integration is not necessary. And I'd rather it be free if not very cheap. And a good track record for not breaking too badly when Twitter changes something in their API. (Not that it happens a lot) Though if there is an OS X app that syncs its settings and also has push that would be awesome.

Usually I like to stick with official apps but in this case I just want my Push notifications. I cannot believe it's not built into the website itself or the official apps.

Does such a mythical app exist?

Apologies if this is commonly known information.

I love the official Twitter app, but I hate that I can't get Push Notifications for specific users tweeting. I use the Text Message notifications for certain users but it gets annoying and it's not integrated at all in that it only includes a link to the mobile site and not the tweet itself when they Tweet. Also text messages don't go to my iPad.

Is there a third party Twitter app that lets me have Push when people Tweet? And can be customized for only regular Tweets or Retweets individually? I think I saw a screenshot that could Push specific keyword mentions but the user didn't post the app name and it doesn't mean that it can do user Tweets.

OS X integration is not necessary. And I'd rather it be free if not very cheap. And a good track record for not breaking too badly when Twitter changes something in their API. (Not that it happens a lot) Though if there is an OS X app that syncs its settings and also has push that would be awesome.

Usually I like to stick with official apps but in this case I just want my Push notifications. I cannot believe it's not built into the website itself or the official apps.

Does such a mythical app exist?

The thing I mentioned in the other thread is indeed called mobile notifications, it's accessible when you click the gear on the profile page for someone you follow, and I'm like 99% sure that pushes notifications to the official Twitter app whenever that user tweets.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The thing I mentioned in the other thread is indeed called mobile notifications, it's accessible when you click the gear on the profile page for someone you follow, and I'm like 99% sure that pushes notifications to the official Twitter app whenever that user tweets.
Sadly no. that just refers to text message notifications. I want Push Notifications.

Sadly no. that just refers to text message notifications. I want Push Notifications.
I am certain it can (or could) be set to push. I remember because a turned it off when a friend of mine absolutely obliterated my Notification Center with it, ha - and they weren't SMS.

I think that once you set it on the site, you can turn it on in the app. Or could. It was real dumb and obscure, buried deep in settings. If not though, hope you find a good app that does.

Edit: just double checked, it's the first option under your account's settings in the official app. 'Tweets'. And if no one is listed there, instructions for adding people are shown.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm confused. What is a push notification to you?
Notifications coming directly from the Twitter app. Not from a text message system. There's a big difference. Text messages aren't integrated with Twitter. They're basically like emails coming from Twitter. Push Notifications would belong to the app and let you open right up to them in the app. The text messages have a single link at the bottom of them and are bound by the short SMS message length and will break long tweets into two pieces and the link at the bottom only opens the mobile website to your feed, but not to the actual tweet itself. It's useless and only acts as a way to know someone tweeted. You still have to do all the work of opening the app and scrolling through your feed to find the tweet if you want to reply to it.

Edit: just double checked, it's the first option under your account's settings in the official app. 'Tweets'. And if no one is listed there, instructions for adding people are shown.
Well, it sure is nice of them to hide that option where I'd never look for it. Thanks.

Question though, will I still be getting text messages? Or will this hopefully replace those messages with Push? (I'll find out shortly as my friend will be tweeting soon.) I really hope they replace the SMS. Because the way it's worded implies that you'll get a Push as well as Text. (The words say "includes text messages you already get" which is weird wording. It should really say "replace".)

Edit: So it seems to be sending both an SMS and a Push Notification.. how do I disable the text message without disabling the push?
Edit: I think I figured it out. I had to disable that part on the website itself. I should now be getting Push and no SMS. We shall see. I should try turning notifications on for someone who tweets all the time like Electivirus. lol

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Interesting, Apple Maps seems to be more up to date with road construction than Google Maps... At least in Chicago. There are some recent road closures here and I decided to see if the maps had them marked and would reroute you. Google maps still made you go through even though it was completely closed but Apple maps avoided the closures. I'm pretty impressed. Looking forward to the updates in iOS 8. I may end up switching back

Blackhead

Redarse
Edit: I think I figured it out. I had to disable that part on the website itself. I should now be getting Push and no SMS. We shall see. I should try turning notifications on for someone who tweets all the time like Electivirus. lol

Is that working out for you? The main problem I've encountered is truncated tweets in the push notifications. I'm not sure if that's an Apple or Twitter problem but it meant I had to open pretty much every push notification to see the full tweet and that's more tedious than skimming the timeline. So I'm looking for a third-party twitter app that solves this problem... or might sms notifications do the job?

I need an app recommendation.

I am looking for an alternative to iCam for the iPhone/iPad. The app rarely gets any updates anymore, and the Mac software is very problematic for me. What i'm looking for is an app on the iPhone and iPad that will allow me to connect home webcams to it and let me monitor them outside my home. And, understandably, I want it to be secure/private.

The ability to view them on a Mac too would be a plus. Thanks!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is that working out for you? The main problem I've encountered is truncated tweets in the push notifications. I'm not sure if that's an Apple or Twitter problem but it meant I had to open pretty much every push notification to see the full tweet and that's more tedious than skimming the timeline. So I'm looking for a third-party twitter app that solves this problem... or might sms notifications do the job?
SMS is worse because it comes in as a text message which can be confusing, but it also cuts them off at about 120 characters so if someone tweets a long message you get two pieces. Plus you really don't see all the text anyway. It's better to just see the beginning and swipe to open it and read the rest in the actual app.

It's much better this way. I'm so glad the option existed. I can't believe it was hidden in such a confusing to figure out way. I disabled text messages and only get push notifications.

Furyous

Is there a productivity workflow post for students to share their workflows?

In any event what's everyone's workflow look like? I'm taking three Masters courses simultaneously and need to create a workflow from scratch. I'll use an ipad mini retina and IFTTT is currently on my iphone 5.

*EDIT*

What's the best voice recorder for iphone/ipad? I'm looking for an app with dropbox, box, and/or onedrive exporting. Email supporting is okay as an alternative to the previous options as an IFTTT extension might solve the issue.

dream

I love how the latest Fantastical 2 for iPhone update added an ugly black border to the icon that ONLY shows up on iPad.

I don't know how else to interpret this other than Flexibits making a scummy attempt to push me into triple-dipping and buying the iPad version of Fantastical 2.

What's everyone's favorite fitness apps?
Myfitnesspal and runkeeper are my favs, but I'm fiddling with some of the nike ones too.

Does anyone know of a weather app like dark sky that delivers info about wind as richly as it does about precipitation? I live in a high wind area and it'd be great to know stuff like '40 mph winds in an hour and continuing til 6pm'.

Top Bottom