• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

Pachimari

I would like to know who's using WhatsApp and who's using Viber and which country you're in. Cause in my circle of friends and family throughout Europe and some Asian countries, we all use Viber.

Can't you use post #2 for expanding the list? Cause some essential apps are missing, like Day One and Skype.

EDIT:
Nevermind, there is no post #2.

kr2t0s

Can anyone recommend a replacement for Zite now that it has jumped the shark?

I'm looking for a news reader where I don't have to provide any RSS feeds or anything? I simply say, 'I would like to see news about Photography (or whatever)' and it populates with current news about that topic.

I don't really have any desire to track down rss feeds or maintain it or anything like that. Would just like my news delivered to me.

Dez

I'm looking for a news reader where I don't have to provide any RSS feeds or anything? I simply say, 'I would like to see news about Photography (or whatever)' and it populates with current news about that topic.

I don't really have any desire to track down rss feeds or maintain it or anything like that. Would just like my news delivered to me.

What's wrong with Zite?

Pachimari

Jumped the shark? Nothing's really that different about it after the update.

Enco

I love Flipboard.

Prismatic is also a popular choice. From the last page.

I gotta pimp Ecoute here, it's a really nice alternative music player, works nicely with iTunes Match & scrobbles to Last.fm.

Also Articles is still my go-to Wikipedia app, it's being updated pretty frequently and is very well made.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I would like to know who's using WhatsApp and who's using Viber and which country you're in. Cause in my circle of friends and family throughout Europe and some Asian countries, we all use Viber.

Can't you use post #2 for expanding the list? Cause some essential apps are missing, like Day One and Skype.

EDIT:
Nevermind, there is no post #2.

In the Netherlands, everyone uses Whatsapp. Never even heard of Viber.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
1password - expensive, new app is about to come out but i can't live without it
Tell me more. I have 1Password on my Mac and I love it. I use it all the time and the Chrome extension is priceless. I have put off purchasing the iOS version because I keep reading reviews that absolutely hate it as well as ones that absolutely love it. And what is this new app coming out? When is this happening?

Mairu

Tell me more. I have 1Password on my Mac and I love it. I use it all the time and the Chrome extension is priceless. I have put off purchasing the iOS version because I keep reading reviews that absolutely hate it as well as ones that absolutely love it. And what is this new app coming out? When is this happening?

I use 1password on ios/android/win/mac, I can't really imagine switching. Expensive to purchase licenses for every platform (well, at least mac/pc since I got 1password pro on ios a long time ago when it was free) but very much worth it!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I use 1password on ios/android/win/mac, I can't really imagine switching. Expensive to purchase licenses for every platform (well, at least mac/pc since I got 1password pro on ios a long time ago when it was free) but very much worth it!
Yeah but how is the 1Password app on iOS? It has a huge amount of 1 star reviews. And people complaining about the next update being another pay version with no upgrade. So I'd like to wait for the new version before I purchase it. If just to manage my passwords when I'm out and about and don't have my MacBook Air with me.

SleazyC

The new update ruined it big time.

Flipboard all the way for me.

I hate having to hit a button to bring up my sections. Prior versions I could just swipe left or right.

Looks solid but the UI looks pretty clunky compared to Ecoute. I've been uisng Ecoute since the app came out and really love the navigation and gestures used to get around it. The only thing that is slightly annoying is turning on shuffle.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dunno if I've mentioned it before but ComicBookLover is/was the only free app that let's you import your own .cbr .cbz, etc. files. And you can do so through a myriad of methods, from Dropbox to iTunes:

iQ7LQ3lDlSLoh.jpg

I know this isn't exclusively an app, but TripIt is amazing if you travel alot. All you do is forward your confirmation emails to plans@tripit.com and it collates your trip for you. Then you use the app on your phone to get confirmation numbers, check-in/out times, addresses, etc. There's no need to dig around through emails to get all your trip info. The app UI is really clean and easy to use and it updates immediately. I use this for every trip I take. Oh yeah, and it's free.

Talon

I know this isn't exclusively an app, but TripIt is amazing if you travel alot. All you do is forward your confirmation emails to plans@tripit.com and it collates your trip for you. Then you use the app on your phone to get confirmation numbers, check-in/out times, addresses, etc. There's no need to dig around through emails to get all your trip info. The app UI is really clean and easy to use and it updates immediately. I use this for every trip I take. Oh yeah, and it's free.
It is indeed pretty awesome. Kayak does the same thing. I couldn't really decide which one I preferred.

Rekwest

I hate having to hit a button to bring up my sections. Prior versions I could just swipe left or right.

Looks solid but the UI looks pretty clunky compared to Ecoute. I've been uisng Ecoute since the app came out and really love the navigation and gestures used to get around it. The only thing that is slightly annoying is turning on shuffle.
Just try how your music sound with this app,and you would love it.

You can also set it up to just add it to tripit as soon as it arrives in your inbox no user interaction necessary. In Flighttrack Pro you can automatically add tripit itineraries so basically you buy tickets and its there in your Flighttrack Pro app, which is amazing.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
There's just like, no good podcasting software. I used instacast for a while, and then switched to downcast. Downcast also sucks. It's slow, glitchy and just all around ugly and janky. It's just not a good app. Is there some really high quality podcasting app that I don't know about?

What's the best Metro app for iPad?

I've got a few business trips to Paris in th next few months and I want an actual offline map I can use.

Cheers

Heel

There's just like, no good podcasting software. I used instacast for a while, and then switched to downcast. Downcast also sucks. It's slow, glitchy and just all around ugly and janky. It's just not a good app. Is there some really high quality podcasting app that I don't know about?

First page of the thread has a few alternatives.

I'm very happy with iCatcher.

Oppo

Downcast doesn't suck, my experience has been great. It has a 4.5/5 on 150 ratings. I think you might be in the minority on this one.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I've been using Stitcher almost exclusively for a couple of years now. I really like it and can find most my favorite podcasts on it (save for a few).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Downcast doesn't suck, my experience has been great. It has a 4.5/5 on 150 ratings. I think you might be in the minority on this one.
Downcast for iPhone is *just ok*, but downcast for iPad blows. It won't ever sync and always misses new episodes. I just noticed there's a new instacast, but I'm a little skeptical. I've already given vemedio their 6 bucks, and then they tried charging me even more money to make a playlist. The new version does look kind of nice though. I dunno.

Anyway, I also need a good personal finance app. But they're all big and scary. I hear expensify is good, but it seems like its more targeted towards businesses and the like.

Mairu

Downcast for iPhone is *just ok*, but downcast for iPad blows. It won't ever sync and always misses new episodes. I just noticed there's a new instacast, but I'm a little skeptical. I've already given vemedio their 6 bucks, and then they tried charging me even more money to make a playlist. The new version does look kind of nice though. I dunno.

Anyway, I also need a good personal finance app. But they're all big and scary. I hear expensify is good, but it seems like its more targeted towards businesses and the like.

I use mint on everything (web/ios/android) but I'm not sure what you're looking for out of a finance app

Quick

Banned
Not sure if I should post this in the iOS gaming thread, since I don't know if it's hardcore enough for them, but has anybody tried Wonderputt?

Hell of a time waster on the iPad initially, but slim replay value. It's $0.99.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I use mint on everything (web/ios/android) but I'm not sure what you're looking for out of a finance app
I've used mint before, and I just installed it again. To be fair, I havent used it since 2009 so it's pretty much like I've never used it. The iPad app seems nice, but how do they make their money? I'm super paranoid of free stuff, lol.

Mairu

I've used mint before, and I just installed it again. To be fair, I havent used it since 2009 so it's pretty much like I've never used it. The iPad app seems nice, but how do they make their money? I'm super paranoid of free stuff, lol.

I'd guess some of it has to do with the advertisements present (The investment/insurance/credit card suggestions) but I'm not totally sure. I stopped using it briefly after they were purchased by Intuit but after wanting another personal finance tool I went back following dissatisfaction with Yodlee.

http://www.quora.com/How-does-Mint-com-make-money - Looks like somewhat dated information (2008!) but they did well enough to get bought by Intuit :p

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Mint is pretty nice, but the auto categorization totally kills me.
Hmm, I'll have to fiddle with it for a while longer.

probably commissions from leads. they constantly advertise offers from companies to sign up for credit cards or get mortgages or something.

mint is pretty cool and their ipad app is gorgeous.

Talon

Mint's owned by Intuit now, so if you trust TurboTax or any Quicken/Quickbooks product, you should feel save.

andycapps

What didn't you like about Instacast? I think it's perfect. I changed some settings in it from the default to make it better suit what I wanted, but after that I was good to go.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I was a big user of it for about a year, then they had an update that locked playlists and a few other dumb things away under a pay wall so out of spite I just bought downcast instead, I think that's what happened, it's been a while. I should have clarified though, I'm talking about iPad specific podcast software. I'm moving away from the iPhone since my iPad mini fits the bill. So naturally I'm trying to get "my life" over the iPad, and it's OT as easy as you'd think.

Fooling around with mint, it's too simple. It's a good macro view, but I can't see it being useful outside of wanting a grander picture of your spending habits. It's something I'd only check like once a month.

I want something where I can customize different budgets for myself and then see how I do in comparison.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Downcast actually kind of the worst thing ever. I think it's worst sin is that it's slow as all hell, I've never seen an app or feed reader take so long to refresh. And I'm not even talking about 3G here, I'm talkin wifi. It's a merely passable app. It is not good or great.

And then there's the iPad version.. Which just plain doesn't work in my experience. It hard crashed out the first dozen times I tried to turn on iCloud syncing. To the point where I just stopped trying. And then whenever I go to refresh my feeds it just doesn't populate them. I can see the new shows when you go to investigate and click through to "view more episodes" but they don't show up as new.

That's all ignoring the design of the app itself, which is boring and somewhat ugly.
Truthfully speaking, there's never been a good podcast app. They are all always incomplete efforts with one or two standout features. I've never found a podcast app that I've loved the way you love truly great apps like tweetbot, clear or paper. You guys know that's true. There just plain isn't really a truly excellent podcast app. If there is, link plz.

Hell, clear is such a vital app I use the upscaled 320x480 iPhone version on my iPad and its still awesome.

Edit: just bought icatcher. Will report back.

Pachimari

Check out Delivery Status Touch, works very well for me and apparently is on sale now.

If you don't want to pay for Delivery Status Touch, I'm pretty happy with Slice. There are iOS/Android & web apps and it's worked pretty well for me.
Thanks to both of you. I think I'll buy Delivery Status Touch.

Not sure if I should post this in the iOS gaming thread, since I don't know if it's hardcore enough for them, but has anybody tried Wonderputt?

Hell of a time waster on the iPad initially, but slim replay value. It's $0.99.
It's already posted in the gaming thread. Generally you should post the games in that thread instead of this one.

Also, is Penultimate the best note taker if I have a Jot Pro stylus?

Vyer

Downcast actually kind of the worst thing ever. I think it's worst sin is that it's slow as all hell, I've never seen an app or feed reader take so long to refresh. And I'm not even talking about 3G here, I'm talkin wifi. It's a merely passable app. It is not good or great.

And then there's the iPad version.. Which just plain doesn't work in my experience. It hard crashed out the first dozen times I tried to turn on iCloud syncing. To the point where I just stopped trying. And then whenever I go to refresh my feeds it just doesn't populate them. I can see the new shows when you go to investigate and click through to "view more episodes" but they don't show up as new.

That's all ignoring the design of the app itself, which is boring and somewhat ugly.
Truthfully speaking, there's never been a good podcast app. They are all always incomplete efforts with one or two standout features. I've never found a podcast app that I've loved the way you love truly great apps like tweetbot, clear or paper. You guys know that's true. There just plain isn't really a truly excellent podcast app. If there is, link plz.

Hell, clear is such a vital app I use the upscaled 320x480 iPhone version on my iPad and its still awesome.

Edit: just bought icatcher. Will report back.

Yeah, I don't see that at all. I have about 13 subs and I pull to refresh it takes less than 20 seconds to check them all. I had Instacast for a while but they kept making changes so I moved to Downcast. It's been great.

XOMTOR

Hopefully a few of you here are Twitter experts cause I just started using the service and I'm mighty confused. I bought Tweetbot since it's highly recommended but nothing I try will get it to send notifications. I've read all the FAQs on their site, Googled the hell out of it etc. I know that Twitter made some changes regarding third party apps a while back, could this be the reason? Also, sometimes tweets are slow to show up in Tweetbot.

The official app works fine most of the time. Actually, in using the service for the past few days, I gotta say the whole thing feels kinda janky. I have the official app, Tweetbot and Janetter plus the website on the go and there's times when one will lag the other in sending tweets, updating conversations and sending notifications. One app will have 3 replies to a tweet while the other will have 6 and the other 2. I've tried to nail down a pattern to determine which app was the most accurate/efficient but damned if I can find it; it just seems to be so random. What am I doing wrong? Is Tweetbot still the best app to be using for a new Twitter account?

Enco

Prismatic is more like Zite, it can learn things you like and tailor to that. But I use Flipboard, Zite, and Prismatic.

After using Prismatic for a bit it's actually pretty sweet.

Flipboard is far better for the latest news and it has a nicer design. Prismatic however, shows me articles that are a lot more interesting to me.

I think I can use them side by side. Flipboard for breaking news and Prismatic for when I'm up for a solid read.

Top Bottom