• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

bonesquad

I'd never really paid attention to it, but this Action Movie FX app is amusing.

How is that Apple's iPhone App of the Year? Seriously? I downloaded that as part of freemyapps one time, and even then I thought it was stupid. Amusing maybe, but for 30 seconds.

I'll be ostracized for saying this I bet, but could that be any more 'hipster'? Sheesh. The app itself looks ok. I like the idea of having a quick, easy way to 'snooze' an email, but beyond that I'll probably stick with Sparrow for now. Like so many of these nice looking, simplistic gesture based apps (clear, any.do, fantasical) they end up being too simple. Why can't someone make a nice gesture based app that is still functional?

So 1Password 4 is not a free upgrade from the previous version?

edit: well, it seems it isn't. :(

My main issue with the old 1 Password app was that, even though it was universal, I could not access the passwords in my iPhone from my iPad, and viceversa.
You only could if you had the desktop version (which costs like 1 MILLION BUCKS), and then you synched via desktop.

Reading the new app description, it now says

but I don't wanna be screwed again.
Can anyone confirm that you can sync the iPad and iPhone passwords without using the desktop app? And that you ONLY need the iOS version of the app to do so?

I didn't see this answered so I'll do it. I bought it this morning and it synced between my phone and ipad via iCloud with no real issues. I haven't bought it for my desktop.

Vyer

How is that Apple's iPhone App of the Year? Seriously? I downloaded that as part of freemyapps one time, and even then I thought it was stupid. Amusing maybe, but for 30 seconds.

?

Yeah I dunno. I think the performance of it is pretty impressive in the sense that the effects are pretty seamless, but I'm not sure why it would be considered an app of the year of any sort. It's fun and polished, but that's as far as it goes. Maybe it was a vote somewhere?

Natetan

I would like to know who's using WhatsApp and who's using Viber and which country you're in. Cause in my circle of friends and family throughout Europe and some Asian countries, we all use Viber.

Can't you use post #2 for expanding the list? Cause some essential apps are missing, like Day One and Skype.

EDIT:
Nevermind, there is no post #2.

An app called LINE is really popular in Japan. I only need to use what's app when I'm contacting people outside of Japan, so I don't really use LINE. I'll usually just send them an SMS. I think I have unlimited domestic texting so it doesnt really matter.

Whats app helps when I'm traveling in airport mode and only have wifi access to send messages.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'll be ostracized for saying this I bet, but could that be any more 'hipster'? Sheesh. The app itself looks ok. I like the idea of having a quick, easy way to 'snooze' an email, but beyond that I'll probably stick with Sparrow for now. Like so many of these nice looking, simplistic gesture based apps (clear, any.do, fantasical) they end up being too simple. Why can't someone make a nice gesture based app that is still functional?
Yeah I'm not seeing what's so special about it either. Seems really skewed towards creating a to-do list out of your emails than actually getting shit done for lack of better words. I definitely thought it was lacking in the functionality department, it seems like a weird half way between minimalist and functional though, yet it doesn't excel at either.

I really like Clear, one of my favourite apps, but it's essentially a list-making app and doesn't try to be more. I think they could definitely add to it, but they're too worried about it jeopardizing the aesthetics, plus there's only so much space and only so many gestures you can use before something becomes bloated.

An app called LINE is really popular in Japan. I only need to use what's app when I'm contacting people outside of Japan, so I don't really use LINE. I'll usually just send them an SMS. I think I have unlimited domestic texting so it doesnt really matter.

Whats app helps when I'm traveling in airport mode and only have wifi access to send messages.

i use LINE a ton, it's practically the default method of communication inside japan these days.

plus that bear is just the cutest thing in the world.

FerranMG

Yeah, it looks really, really good.

I hope it becomes a good replacement for the stock app which (again) I feel is a bit outdated. :(

Also, The Verge was speculating with a desktop app in the future. I hope!

About Whatsapp, Viber and Line: in Spain absolutely everyone has and uses Whatsapp.
Never tried Viber, but I was curious about Line, so I downloaded it and have been trying it for a week with my brother.
I like Whatsapp better.
Maybe because I'm much more used to it, but I found the UI clearer or more user-friendly.
The stickers in Line are cool, but there are sooo many of them that I should browse too much to find one that I actually want to use.
The thing I like the most about Line is that it has a desktop client, so I can reply to messages when I'm at home in front of my computer.
I don't think I'll keep using Line for long, though.

RBH

amazonprime.jpg

Amazon has released an iPhone app for its Prime Instant Video service, giving free access to thousands of titles to Amazon Prime members, as well as movie and TV show purchases and rentals. The iPad app was released in August.

The app allows users to download purchased and rented movies and TV shows for offline viewing, as well as stream Prime Instant Video titles when connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi. Cellular data isn't supported, nor is AirPlay. Amazon also keeps track of the user's place in a video, allowing it to be resumed at the same point on other supported devices like a TV, Mac or Kindle Fire.
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/13/amazon-releases-prime-instant-video-app-for-iphone/

andycapps

It really is a slick and very pleasing app to use. Plus the ability to speak/dictate your list is a godsend, no more henpecking out my laundry list of things to get done.

It's really cool as a reminders app, and the voice dictation is nice too. I still wish that someone would make a nice calendar app that looked like that, but that we could also have reminders integrated. I suppose I could just use a calendar app if I found one that was nice enough.

Yeah I'm not seeing what's so special about it either. Seems really skewed towards creating a to-do list out of your emails than actually getting shit done for lack of better words. I definitely thought it was lacking in the functionality department, it seems like a weird half way between minimalist and functional though, yet it doesn't excel at either.

I really like Clear, one of my favourite apps, but it's essentially a list-making app and doesn't try to be more. I think they could definitely add to it, but they're too worried about it jeopardizing the aesthetics, plus there's only so much space and only so many gestures you can use before something becomes bloated.

Don't worry, you guys will love the email app my buddy and I started on to tackle this problem :)

Ambitious

Anyone know a Music.app alternative with the possibility to enqueue tracks? The only player with this feature I was able to find was Panamp, which is ugly as hell. Also, it has the navigation bar on the top; I hate that.

My iPhone's jailbroken, so a Cydia tweak that adds this Play Next function to the stock app would be great as well.

Natetan

Anyone know of a way or an app that puts the navigation options for screens at the bottom of the screen instead of the top? I find the iPhone 5 larger screen kind of too large and my thumb can't reach the far upper corner where a lot of menu buttons etc always are.

I'm surprised I haven't heard more complaints about this....

mojiimbo

Anyone know a Music.app alternative with the possibility to enqueue tracks? The only player with this feature I was able to find was Panamp, which is ugly as hell. Also, it has the navigation bar on the top; I hate that.

My iPhone's jailbroken, so a Cydia tweak that adds this Play Next function to the stock app would be great as well.
I haven't tried it myself but OnCue does it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id389764676?mt=8

Are there any offline map apps? I'm very strongly considering getting an iPod Touch tomorrow and that would seal the deal in an instant. I mostly want one for music and podcasts, but I would love to be able to use it for directions.

I understand that the Nexus 7 lets you download the map information for your area so you can get directions without internet access, so I'm hoping an iPod Touch can do that too. I used to have a smartphone but just can't afford the monthly bill right now (and even if I could it's hard to justify the $40+ extra per month for me), and the one thing I really, really miss was being able to look up restaurants while walking around my town or when I go on day trips.

FerranMG

Are there any offline map apps? I'm very strongly considering getting an iPod Touch tomorrow and that would seal the deal in an instant. I mostly want one for music and podcasts, but I would love to be able to use it for directions.

I understand that the Nexus 7 lets you download the map information for your area so you can get directions without internet access, so I'm hoping an iPod Touch can do that too. I used to have a smartphone but just can't afford the monthly bill right now (and even if I could it's hard to justify the $40+ extra per month for me), and the one thing I really, really miss was being able to look up restaurants while walking around my town or when I go on day trips.

I don't think you'll be able to do that.
If I'm not mistaken, the iPod Touch doesn't have integrated GPS capabilities, so even though you could download an offline maps app, you wouldn't be able to use it to give you directions because it will not know where you are.

Dynoro

I use Navfree for an offline GPS (to save data on my iphone) but I don't think it would work with a touch. It is listed in the supported platforms; so might be worth a shot.

I don't think you'll be able to do that.
If I'm not mistaken, the iPod Touch doesn't have integrated GPS capabilities, so even though you could download an offline maps app, you wouldn't be able to use it to give you directions because it will not know where you are.

Ah, shit, didn't even think of that. Couldn't I still get directions maybe by inputting my current location manually? It would be really annoying, but I'd take it.

I use Navfree for an offline GPS (to save data on my iphone) but I don't think it would work with a touch. It is listed in the supported platforms; so might be worth a shot.

Hope?

dsister44

Anyone know a good video player? It doesn't have to stream, just play off the device. The stock one won't even play half my .mp4s >__>

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This is already the best app ever because it forces you to record your videos in landscape mode.
Seriously. I can't believe Apple allows video to be recorded in portrait at all for anything but FaceTime. iOS7 needs to finally disable this shit. I can see half the owners all confused as to why it no longer works and the other half commenting on their statuses telling them how stupid they are for wanting to do it in the first place.

Seriously. I can't believe Apple allows video to be recorded in portrait at all for anything but FaceTime. iOS7 needs to finally disable this shit. I can see half the owners all confused as to why it no longer works and the other half commenting on their statuses telling them how stupid they are for wanting to do it in the first place.
More discreet taking creeper videos in portrait.

(´ー`)┌

So TuneIn Radio for iPad got a new UI. They got rid of the holo theme and ... Well. It's different!

I'd post pictures, but I'm on the iPad right now.

Does anyone have experience with FileBrowser or any other app that will let you stream video right from a NAS drive when connected to your network? I'm looking for a way to do it without needing a computer, and I think FileBrowser will fit the bill, but I've never used it.

Edit: I see that Air Video is recommended in the OP. Does it allow streaming directly from a NAS drive, or only from a computer?

Edit 2: I forgot to add that I am trying to stream to my iPad from the NAS I have hooked up to my network.

Anyone have a better video player recommendation than the app in the OP? I tried it and none of my files play. I would like it even better if it could play mvk videos with softsubs?

Also, do most videos in HD ever work on an iPad or are the video files too big for the thing to handle? I don't think I've even been able to run a video in HD without it either crashing whichever app I'm using, going so slow you can't even watch it, or playing but nothing shows up.

Thanks! :)

Rekwest

Anyone have a better video player recommendation than the app in the OP? I tried it and none of my files play. I would like it even better if it could play mvk videos with softsubs?

Also, do most videos in HD ever work on an iPad or are the video files too big for the thing to handle? I don't think I've even been able to run a video in HD without it either crashing whichever app I'm using, going so slow you can't even watch it, or playing but nothing shows up.

Thanks! :)

AnyPlayer
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/anyplayer/id457896289?mt=8

Top Bottom