• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

blahness

iSSH has dropped down to $.99 which is the lowest it has ever been. I am not sure that there is a better client for iOS but this is one I have kept my eye on for a long time. Regular price is $9.99.

X-Frame

Does anyone prefer Songza to all the other subscription internet radio apps? I just downloaded it and I love the UI and the way it asks about mood and what I am doing, plus it seems to have more unknown music that I haven't heard before compared to others where I own all the music I hear on iTunes Radio or Pandora.

Vyer

The new Comedy Central ipad app is pretty nice.

4ZEyE0H.jpg

vkSxxwd.jpg

NLHyzfL.jpg

The Amazon Instant Video app also got an iOS7 update. Pretty minor changes, but still looks better.

Does anyone prefer Songza to all the other subscription internet radio apps? I just downloaded it and I love the UI and the way it asks about mood and what I am doing, plus it seems to have more unknown music that I haven't heard before compared to others where I own all the music I hear on iTunes Radio or Pandora.

Been using it for a while. I like it, it's a nice change of pace.

Quick

Banned
Has anybody been getting issues from the Google Search and Mailbox apps?

I had to re-install Google Search on my iPhone and iPad after it wouldn't respond to search queries. On the iPad, I get to the search results page with nothing on it, except for the search bar, and my iPhone gets stuck on loading, eventually timing out after a few minutes. Re-installing "fixed" the issue. I tried a search on both LTE and Wi-Fi.

Mailbox keeps crashing on me. It takes a couple of tries before it stays open. Swiping a notification on my lock screen would occasionally just bring me to the home screen rather than in the app. Haven't re-installed it yet, but I just wanted to know if this is a more widespread issue.

Ambitious

Are there any good file managers for remote shares (smb, afp, sftp)? I just want to be able to rename, move and delete files on my NAS from my iPad.

I tried Documents by Readdle, but it only supports renaming (although an UI for other tasks exists, but only for iPad-local files). GoodReader is even worse, only allowing downloading and uploading files.

There are hundreds of them in the App Store, but most of them look so god-awful. Ugly, iOS5-themed abandonware from devs who are not familiar with the concept of hiring an UI/UX designer and think they can port their terrible, overpriced Windows apps to iOS without putting any effort into it at all. And then they stop supporting it because no one buys their crap.

PittaGAF

Are there any good file managers for remote shares (smb, afp, sftp)? I just want to be able to rename, move and delete files on my NAS from my iPad.

I tried Documents by Readdle, but it only supports renaming (although an UI for other tasks exists, but only for iPad-local files). GoodReader is even worse, only allowing downloading and uploading files.

There are hundreds of them in the App Store, but most of them look so god-awful. Ugly, iOS5-themed abandonware from devs who are not familiar with the concept of hiring an UI/UX designer and think they can port their terrible, overpriced Windows apps to iOS without putting any effort into it at all. And then they stop supporting it because no one buys their crap.

I tried several, IMHO the best (and my most used app) is FileBrowser.
You can browse, open with, rename, move...files and directories.
Works like a charm...since I got it years ago I never turned on my PC again.
I keep all my files in a removable USB drive connected to my AirPort Extreme, but I use it everyday with several NAS at work (QNAP,CISCO,NETGEAR....)

Incidentally there is one GREAT side effect for using the Apple TV.
Using FB with iPhone or iPad I can select a movie in my drive and beam it to Apple TV.
No need to have a computer turned on (can't wait for Apple TV to be able to run app).
The app seems to be pretty well supported.
Let me know if you have a specific question.

EDIT: I meant this app: Link

X-Frame

1Password is updated to v4.5 to support iOS 7 and with a lot of new features and fixes apparently, and the Mac version was updated too.

Both are 50% off .. and now I need to think again if I really need/want this over using simply the iCloud Keychain. I only use iOS and Mac's, and only use Safari on all of them which is why iCloud Keychain is fine for me. And maybe iCloud Keychain will be getting an update with iOS 8 and the next OSX version.

Quick

Banned
Has anybody tried Acompli?

Brand new (I think) email client that has a built in calendar. Saw a Verge article on it comparing it to Mailbox, which it does resemble.

Talon

Has anybody tried Acompli?

Brand new (I think) email client that has a built in calendar. Saw a Verge article on it comparing it to Mailbox, which it does resemble.
I'm using it for my Exchange account.

It is Mailbox for Enterprise in every sense. As in it's a little bit clunkier, a little bit shittier, but you can tell where the influence stems from.

Furyous

I just started using bettertouchtool and ran into a problem. I've tried to find the predefined refresh action and can't seem to find it. Are there any gestures that refresh pages?

GeekyDad

Pleco for sure.
FluentU keeps teasing they'll release an app.

Hmm...yeah, I have Pleco, and it's great, but I was hoping to find an interactive app that can keep me using phrases and regular vocabulary, perhaps something with gameplay or conversational scenarios, etc. I have something called Mandarin by Mind Snacks, which seems decent, but I'm not sure it's worth unlocking the rest of the content. They give you about three game types to play that teach you numbers, but I don't know what's locked behind the IAP.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Question about iPad Newsstand subscriptions.

About two years ago I bought a subscription to MAD Magazine. And I let it auto-renew a year ago. But I haven't had much time to read most of them. The subscription ends next month and I already discontinued the subscription.

If I download all the issues I have coming to me now, will I still be able to read them after my subscription ends? Will I need to read them before the subscription ends? Do magazine subscriptions know which issues I am entitled to? Or should I just pay another $10 for another year to catch up?

Furyous

Is there any program that allows me to edit text in psd files? I'm trying to edit the text on a business card.

I've got:

Aperture
GIMP

and cannot figure it out.

Is there any program that allows me to edit text in psd files? I'm trying to edit the text on a business card.

I've got:

Aperture
GIMP

and cannot figure it out.

You may want to download a trial of Photoshop just to verify that the text is even live and editable vs flattened. Bear in mind you'll still need to have the font your designer used, and you'll still need to give him a little slap for designing a business card in Photoshop.

X-Frame

The one app that I really want to have Background Refresh and seems like the most obvious type of app to have this functionality is Reeder 2 -- and it still doesn't.

Is this by design or does anyone else find it odd too?

Twinduct

Hi Guys,
Getting my iPad Air soon and was wondering what App on iOS closet mimic the functionality of Mangawatcher (Android app).

Essentially a Manga Reading app that downloads scanlations from scanlations sites. That's the core functionality I want. The rest (Auto Download of new chapters, limits downloads to wifi, etc) would be a bonus.

Guess Who

Banned
Hi Guys,
Getting my iPad Air soon and was wondering what App on iOS closet mimic the functionality of Mangawatcher (Android app).

Essentially a Manga Reading app that downloads scanlations from scanlations sites. That's the core functionality I want. The rest (Auto Download of new chapters, limits downloads to wifi, etc) would be a bonus.

MangaStorm does this. Believe it's free to download but requires a cheap IAP for some functionality.

That said, buy manga you enjoy when/if it's available in your country!

Twinduct

MangaStorm does this. Believe it's free to download but requires a cheap IAP for some functionality.

That said, buy manga you enjoy when/if it's available in your country!

Thanks will check it out!
I do when it's around, sadly the market never picked up here and importing is a dud with import taxes on books and etc is a fucking joke.

mrkgoo

Can anyone recommended a good comic book app?. I know theirs marvel unlimited but is there one that has both Marvel and DC available as well?
Comixology which are the makers of tr marvel and DC apps have their own, which has tr marvel and the DC comics in it.

However, recently, they were acquired by Amazon and they've mandated you can no longer buy comics directly through the app.

Mafro

Comixology which are the makers of tr marvel and DC apps have their own, which has tr marvel and the DC comics in it.

However, recently, they were acquired by Amazon and they've mandated you can no longer buy comics directly through the app.
The branded Marvel, DC and Image apps powered by Comixology still allow for in-app purchases, but I don't know how long that'll last .

Hi Guys,

I've been using MangaRock for years now and still like it.

PaulLFC

Is Alien Blue still considered the best iPad Reddit client? Just checking before I buy it, having searched the app store it does seem to be the most recommended - a lot of the new clients with good reviews are iPhone only by the looks of it.

mrkgoo

The branded Marvel, DC and Image apps powered by Comixology still allow for in-app purchases, but I don't know how long that'll last .

I would say those apps are separate from Comixology. As in they "contract" Comixology to develop the apps but the content is their own.

If anything, their apps will simply cease to be developed by Comixology, though they may retain rights to the code for other developers to modify. Who knows.

ProfessorX

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone who works with PDFs on iOS try good reader 4? It came out yesterday. It is currently supposedly 60% off for $2.99. It is a universal app. The old good reader only worked on one type of device...

Not sure if I should stay within the GoodReader ecosystem or move to a different PDF reading program...

Mindwipe

Is Alien Blue still considered the best iPad Reddit client? Just checking before I buy it, having searched the app store it does seem to be the most recommended - a lot of the new clients with good reviews are iPhone only by the looks of it.

Yes.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I got gifted a £30 iTunes voucher for my birthday, only problem is I have a 4 and my gf has a iPad 2, so at this point there's nothing to spend the credit on. I have all the apps I use day to day, and new stuff either runs badly or won't run at all. Might wait until the 6 comes out and splash out on some games or something when I upgrade.

Anyone who works with PDFs on iOS try good reader 4? It came out yesterday. It is currently supposedly 60% off for $2.99. It is a universal app. The old good reader only worked on one type of device...

Not sure if I should stay within the GoodReader ecosystem or move to a different PDF reading program...
I've moved on to PDF Expert.

Amazing app - sleek presentation, clean UI, and so, so many options.

DarkJC

I'm not buying Goodreader again. Their complete lethargy with updating the app gives me no faith that future updates will be any faster.

Documents by Readdle is what I ended up switching to. I think they also make PDF Expert as well.

ProfessorX

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not buying Goodreader again. Their complete lethargy with updating the app gives me no faith that future updates will be any faster.

Documents by Readdle is what I ended up switching to. I think they also make PDF Expert as well.

That's free! Do you need to buy IAP's to get full functionality?

PDF Expert is $9.99... So Documents 5 does not have annotation? But you need PDF Expert to Annotate?

Thanks!

That's free! Do you need to buy IAP's to get full functionality?

PDF Expert is $9.99... So Documents 5 does not have annotation? But you need PDF Expert to Annotate?

Thanks!
Documents is basically just a PDF/media viewer, but PDF Expert (which includes all the media functionality, so more than just PDFs) lets you annotate and all that jazz.

ProfessorX

Unconfirmed Member
Goodreader 4 is currently $2.99.
PDF Expert is $9.99.

I am guessing that I will have to buy Goodreader 4 if I want to have guaranteed iOS 8 compatibility...

Does PDF Expert ever go on sale? Do they come out with new versions and make you re-buy the app to get updates? Is PDF Expert $7 better?

Thanks!

ProfessorX

Unconfirmed Member
I decided just to update to Goodreader 4 for $2.99 because...

1) it currently does everything I need or want.
2) it is now a universal App that will also work on my iPhone.
3) according to their update history, they hadn't charged for an update in over 2 years
4) it had a good migration assistant to move all my stuff
5) it was only $2.99 at the current limited time sale price...
6) even when they were extremely snail pace slow to update to iOS 7, the app still worked fairly OK for my needs.

X-Frame

Does anyone use the Sleep Cycle app? I really want to use it but I am afraid of my iPhone falling onto the floor when I sleep. I don't see how it wouldn't fall for everyone unless everyone that is using it is sleeping in a huge bed.

ProfessorX

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone use the Sleep Cycle app? I really want to use it but I am afraid of my iPhone falling onto the floor when I sleep. I don't see how it wouldn't fall for everyone unless everyone that is using it is sleeping in a huge bed.

Put it in your pocket?

Dany

Banned

Putting it in the pocket isn't a good idea. It should be plugged in face down on your bed. and don't worry about knocking it off. I was in a twin bed and it didn't fall off much.

Mafro

New Facebook iOS update has removed the most recent option from the news feed. I'd like to think this is a mistake but knowing them it's not. Thankfully I still have the previous version of the app on my laptop.

ProfessorX

Unconfirmed Member
New Facebook iOS update has removed the most recent option from the news feed. I'd like to think this is a mistake but knowing them it's not. Thankfully I still have the previous version of the app on my laptop.

Turn off those automatic updates!!!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What.

What?

Fucking what the fuck?

WHAT THE FUCK IS FACEBOOK'S PROBLEM WITH PEOPLE WANTING TO SEE ALL NEWS IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER?

So glad I mainly use Twitter. At least they haven't completely fucked it up yet. (Not that they aren't being pressured to try.)

Top Bottom