• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming December 2015 | F2P is frightful, but the sales are so delightful

I'm happy Miitomo is a chat focused app first and foremost. There's no better way to communicate with your friends than through a mobile app. It works for PlayStation and it works for Xbox and Steam too. And that I can see my Mii is even better.

Recently I have also discovered that Avengers Allianxe II and Chrono Trigger both requires iOS 9, which really sucks to me, as that basically makes sure I can't buy them. Are there other games on the App Store that currently requires iOS 9?

You can't upgrade to iOS 9?

Question for all you fine experts here: I just recently convinced my dad (who is decidedly not a gamer but just got an iPhone) to try Monument Valley and he went nuts for it. He beat it in a few hours of non-stop playing and then played it again and now wants more. So my question: What are good Monument Valley type games .. for free? Thank you all for your help.
Hmmm...not really anything for free, but some similar games (in terms of short, simple, visually-striking games
Poco Eco - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adventures-poco-eco-lost-sounds/id970021572?mt=8

Maybe Kiwanuka - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kiwanuka/id849796318?mt=8

Unfortunately, they're iPad only, but he might like Wonderputt and Zero Age
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wonderputt/id539499112?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zero-age/id921584182?mt=8

Awww thanks!

And Happy Holydays everyone!

Puzzle Quest 2 doesn't work on iOS 9 sadly but is compatible iOS 8.
Huh, I just downloaded the free version and it works fine on my iPad (iOS 9.2)
So the regular version would work fine, right? The paid version is exactly cheaper than getting the full game unlock in the freemium version ($2.99 vs $3.99)

My brother got me an apple tv for christmas. I was skeptical about the gaming and haven't picked up the steel controller yet, but even with the remote I'm having a blast with:

Just Dance
Bean Quest
Rayman
Asphault
Beat Sports
Crossy Road

I picked up a ton of other games that I'll get to. I didn't expect to enjoy Apple TV gaming this much. Disappointed that Guitar Hero requires the guitar peripheral (I thought the Siri Remote was a requirement?) but I'm actually hoping Apple allows games to be gamepad controller only soon so this could get some more traditional great games, even though a lot of them have figured out great solutions so far.

Benedict

I can't find any of the Llamasoft games on the App Store. It seems like they disappeared from the Swedish store without any warning.
Is it the same in other regions?
Somebody know why?

If I share my account with my family, they have access to my purchases, however my sister bought (through my cc aka asked to buy etc) Minecraft Story Mode DLC and it won't show in my device. Shouldn't the apps etc be shared? Or is 'DLC' the exception?
I believe in-app purchase are the exception to app sharing. What I've had to do in the past is buy DLC (or something along those lines) on my own account, then sign in with my details on someone else's phone and re-download it. It's a pain but it still means you can share it.

Downloading DLC/IAPs is usually a good thing (compared to the old system of sharing apps) because the app itself can still update via Family Sharing. This means it's only a one time thing compared to the old system of constantly signing in and out to update apps.

Pachimari

Is Dragon Quest V worth getting on iOS? Does it control well in portrait mode? Does it have an interesting story and great atmosphere?

awp69

I can't find any of the Llamasoft games on the App Store. It seems like they disappeared from the Swedish store without any warning.
Is it the same in other regions?
Somebody know why?

I think Jeff Minter pulled them. He put them on sale for free shortly before doing so. I'm not entirely sure why he pulled them but I believe they may have been broken by iOS 9.

Or...he could have just pulled them regardless. Don't think they ever sold well, unfortunately.

I just sent him a Tweet to ask. Will update if he responds.

awp69

Anyone else here play Nub's Adventure? I played it a bit when it first came out but didn't give it enough time. It's a really clever Metrovania style platformer with some nice gameplay twists and charming pixel artwork.

You can try a sizable chunk of the game for free but I'd recommend biting on the full IAP unlock (currently on sale for $1.99 from $4.99) because there's a lot more to the game. That was my mistake earlier thinking it seemed like a pretty standard platformer. Glad I gave it a second chance. Well worth checking out.

awp69

Does Chaos Rings 3 have any connection to past games in the series?

It looks fundamentally different to 1, 2 and Omega.

Nope. It's completely standalone and so different than the other games that it feels odd that they even used the CR name. Probably did it for name recognition.

-psygnosis-

Neo Member
Question for all you fine experts here: I just recently convinced my dad (who is decidedly not a gamer but just got an iPhone) to try Monument Valley and he went nuts for it. He beat it in a few hours of non-stop playing and then played it again and now wants more. So my question: What are good Monument Valley type games .. for free? Thank you all for your help.

There isn't really anything much like Monument Valley I would say. So in general I would just look for other puzzle games that somewhat feature narrative are beautiful and/or atmospheric and not super punishing or skill heavy input wise. Games I would recommend:

Limbo
"A black and white puzzle-platforming adventure, puts players in the role of a young boy traveling through an eerie and treacherous world in an attempt to discover the fate of his sister."
https://youtu.be/aEn6rH7Hmcg

Shadowmatic
"Shadowmatic is an imagination stirring puzzle where you rotate abstract objects in a spotlight to find recognizable silhouettes in projected shadows, relevant to the surrounding environment."
https://youtu.be/7g-nu1KwkDw

Sword & Sworcery
"Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP is an exploratory action adventure with an emphasis on audiovisual style. Traverse a mythic little realm, use a sword to do battle & evoke sworcery to solve mystical musical mysteries."
https://youtu.be/cKHuK_lckb8

T-0800

I think Jeff Minter pulled them. He put them on sale for free shortly before doing so. I'm not entirely sure why he pulled them but I believe they may have been broken by iOS 9.

Or...he could have just pulled them regardless. Don't think they ever sold well, unfortunately.

Can you ask him to release them on PSN? I own them on IOS but would buy them again. Perhaps a compilation.

pdk27

My brother got me an apple tv for christmas. I was skeptical about the gaming and haven't picked up the steel controller yet, but even with the remote I'm having a blast with:

Just Dance
Bean Quest
Rayman
Asphault
Beat Sports
Crossy Road

I picked up a ton of other games that I'll get to. I didn't expect to enjoy Apple TV gaming this much. Disappointed that Guitar Hero requires the guitar peripheral (I thought the Siri Remote was a requirement?) but I'm actually hoping Apple allows games to be gamepad controller only soon so this could get some more traditional great games, even though a lot of them have figured out great solutions so far.

Same here. I'm hoping a lot of people got Apple TVs for Christmas because I would like the platform to be supported. It is definitely a slick device. Much better than that stupid Fire Stick I was using before.

Pachimari

Bought Dragon Quest V. I don't regret it so far. I just wish I knew the main character's name, instead of naming him myself?

The Room series is a great puzzler for all walks of life. The first one is free right now.

Li Kao

Hmm, I don't want to give an inappropriate advice, but why not Lara Croft Go ? I didn't go far because my Ipad 4 is decidedly getting too old and the framerate is all over the place in it, but while not entirely comparable, the two games share some aspects imho.
That being said my memory is fuzzy but I'm quite certain some Monument Valley ripp-o... inspired game came out some months ago. Can't remember the name though, sorry.

Edit : Man, I NEED an iPad Pro, like... yesterday. And it looks like I'm in for months of saving for it, uguu. But well, with the app sizes ballooning like there is no tomorrow this time it's 128go or bust. Pricey.

I'm actually hoping Apple allows games to be gamepad controller only soon so this could get some more traditional great games.

You and me both! Would love to see things like the GTA ports come to AppleTV, but that seems unlikely until they allow games to support only an MFi controller.

Apple is allowing Guitar Hero to require the guitar controller, which seems to circumvent that, but Apple gonna Apple.

I picked up the iOS Guitar at Best Buy for $20, game is fun and works well on the Apple TV.

There was only a handful of games available at launch for Apple TV and nothing new for about a month, but there was a bunch of stuff released before Christmas and a steady stream coming now. Hopefully, with people getting it for the holidays, things will pick up more.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Apple is allowing Guitar Hero to require the guitar controller, which seems to circumvent that, but Apple gonna Apple.

Yeah. Inconsistency in the application of policy is one of the most frustrating things about the Apple platforms. Combined with 99% of inquiries and complaints coming back with a standard scripted answer, you just want to bash your head against the wall sometimes.

igor

Currently contemplating getting The World Ends With You.

It's a great game but it looks bit messy on an iPhone 6, it didn't stretch well on the screen.

Still, its a massive game and well worth the regular price, if you like what you see.

am_dragon

OK I'm in the US and I purchased almost all of his games. I currently have Goat Up and Minotron on my iPhone. None of the games are in my purchase history on the app store. This really sucks. I hope they are coming back. Goat Up and Minotron work just fine on iOS 9 so I'm not sure what the problem is. I hope he is just taking the openFeint stuff from the games or some other simple explanation.

I purchased a few games while on sale:

Implosion: really good so far, I'm only 3 or so hours in and it's great. My only complaint it eats the battery so you better play near a power source.

Pacman CE/DX - I was concerned about controls but it's great. Also it has almost no battery usage, a sat here watching TV and playing last night for 2 hours there was almost no noticeable battery drain.

I love playing games on my phone but I don't always have the ability to charge my phone, so games that don't use much battery get played MUCH more than the graphically impressive battery hogs. I wish there was some standard for measuring power usage that could be put on the app store next to the application size.

JCho133

Hello again all, long time no see.

Been focusing on being a bit more productive and met a nice lady, hence my absence.

Saw what might be the next great Dungeon Raid successor over at "that other site" and couldn't resist posting about it over here.

Chain Quest by Maximilian Opitz
https://appsto.re/gb/hj165.i

Forgive the UK link, was looking at a UK exclusive album and I'm too lazy to switch back to my NA account

Haven't played it yet myself but looks fantastic and has some pretty positive imps.

In other news, been playing a good amount of Steamworld: Heist on my 3DS, which is phenomenal. Basically if XCOM had a 2-Dimensional baby with the TV show Firefly. Rumor is it might hit iPad eventually so that would be very cool

Benedict

OK I'm in the US and I purchased almost all of his games. I currently have Goat Up and Minotron on my iPhone. None of the games are in my purchase history on the app store. This really sucks. I hope they are coming back. Goat Up and Minotron work just fine on iOS 9 so I'm not sure what the problem is. I hope he is just taking the openFeint stuff from the games or some other simple explanation.

Yes, I'm in the same situation.
Have most of the games on my iPhone, but since I did a reset on my iPad, Minotron 2012 is not available to redownload and it's shaded on my iPad trying to reinstall.
Can't remove it either.

I tweeted Jeff Minter a couple of days ago about his games on iOS but he hasn't responded at all.

Yes, I'm in the same situation.
Have most of the games on my iPhone, but since I did a reset on my iPad, Minotron 2012 is not available to redownload and it's shaded on my iPad trying to reinstall.
Can't remove it either.

I tweeted Jeff Minter a couple of days ago about his games on iOS but he hasn't responded at all.
Do you have any backups on your computer? The only way of getting them back is to sync via iTunes. I let iTunes keep backups of each app for me.

You may also be able to extract the game from an unencrypted device backup that you also made to your computer.

I imagine the games are gone for good now. Since Minter didn't make "enough" money on iOS he's bet all his chips on the Sony table.

Benedict

Do you have any backups on your computer? The only way of getting them back is to sync via iTunes. I let iTunes keep backups of each app for me.

You may also be able to extract the game from an unencrypted device backup that you also made to your computer.

I imagine the games are gone for good now. Since Minter didn't make "enough" money on iOS he's bet all his chips on the Sony table.

I hope I can make backups from the iphone that I can transfer to the iPad?
It should work as long as it's tied to the same account.

I hope I can make backups from the iphone that I can transfer to the iPad?
It should work as long as it's tied to the same account.
You can restore an iPhone backup to iPad with the understanding some settings and apps won't go across due to the different devices.

Is he even doing anything for Sony right now? I know he's been fighting Atari over Txk.
PS4 (& PC) VR release of TxK, Atari are apparently now helping rather than hindering.

So Game Center has 405 million "users":

game-center-1.png
http://9to5mac.com/2015/12/29/game-center-players/

Wish Apple would actually do something with Game Center.

Pachimari

I still don't see any use of Game Center. It have leaderboards and that's it. They should really implement a messaging system and a way to see if your friends are online. More like PSN and Xbox Live.

I'm really close to buying Chrono Trigger and The World Ends With You, but I need somebody to push me and convince me a little more.

Li Kao

For some months / years now iTunes has been completely broken for me. The iPad disk space left is always wrong. Totally nonsensical, sometimes the space left is not so different but then I will had even the tiniest of apps and it will completely mess with it.
I suppose I'm alone in this ?

Oh and some games refuse to be backed up, even with device / transfer purchases, which results in my library being partly backed up on the hd and partly in the cloud.

These two issues along with the general abysmal design of iTunes really contributes to my general hatred of this piece of software. I long for the time when iTunes just worked.

So, in your guy's opinion, do you think this year was better than last year in terms of games? I'm having an argument with someone who thinks this year was lackluster.

So, in your guy's opinion, do you think this year was better than last year in terms of games? I'm having an argument with someone who thinks this year was lackluster.
I can't really say. I think this year was just as good, but definitely not lackluster

Notable games from 2014:
Threes!
Out There
80 Days
FTL
Kingdom Rush: Origins
Monument Valley
Valiant Hearts
Rules!
Sailor's Dream
Hitman: Go
Wayward Souls
Leo's Fortune
Galaxy Trucker
Kero Blaster
Banner Saga

2015:
Lara Croft GO
The Room 3
Dark Echo
Downwell
This War of Mine
Her Story
Geometry Wars 3
You Must Build a Boat
Horizon Chase
Prune
Lumino City
Card Crawl
Hero Emblems
Sorcery 3
Implosion
Transistor
Space Marshals
Galactic Keep
Warhammer 40k: Deathwatch

You might want to point your friend to this thread:
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1160360

iOS games? For the kind I like to play, totally. Lara Croft GO, Downwell, Alto's Adventure, Horizon Chase, Implosion, Hero Emblems, Pac-Man 256, The Room 3, Dark Echo etc. etc.

If you don't care for mobile or you like f2p or whatever, maybe you might think differently.

Been playing through some of my recent purchases/downloads.

Card Crawl was an absolute steal at $0.99. I love the presentation, the gameplay is fun and has a lot of depth as you unlock more cards. It's hard to put the game down, and I keep going to it while I'm listening to podcasts or other things.

Lara Croft Go was a blast. I got 100% for the base game and the DLC. The puzzles felt both sufficiently tricky and satisfying, and the graphics were gorgeous. There was a ton of polish in this game. A serious contender for my mobile GOTY. It looks like Hitman Go is a bit of a step down, but I'll probably go and grab that now after beating this.

Rust Bucket is a lot of fun. I keep going back to it in short bursts. I guess earlier in the thread people said it paled in comparison to Ending, but I never played that. I think that as usual it's got the Nitrome charm and graphics that help me keep going back to their games. The tutorial was actually a lot of fun, and I would like to see more structured levels like that. The endless dungeon is ok, but I wish there was more variety and more that you can do with the coins you collect. Maybe there is further in, I've only play this in shorter bursts, but so far it is a little lacking there.

I've also been very pleased with Please, Don't Touch Anything. If you like cryptic puzzle games this is definitely a game you should consider. I would say that sometimes it can get a little too cryptic, but I've had fun so far. They really nailed the music and atmosphere of the game.

I got a couple iTunes cards for Christmas, so far I've bought Broken Age & PDTA, but I plan on getting 80 Days and a few other games that I've been eyeing (like Framed, not sure how I keep passing that one).

so what looks good in 2016?
Love You To Bits
Overland
Euclidean Lands
Neon Chrome
Sokobond
SPYJINX
Element
Interstellaria
The Warlock Of Firetop Mountain
Darkest Dungeon
Songbringer
Island Delta
The Witness
Solitairica
Armello
Forest of Sleep
Space Grunts
GNOG
Static Sky
Objects In Space
Prism
Angel Wing
Pinstripe

^ Adding to the above list:

-Crashlands
-Warbits
-Momoka
-Wild Wastes
-Titan Quest
-Torchlight Mobile
-Heros of Loot 2
-Sdorica
-Mewgenics
lol
-And whatever Nintendo will limp to the barn with

awp69

Looking forward the most to Crashlands and Torchlight Mobile, provided it isn't completely bastardized.

Got Squareface a few days ago. Looked good but is pretty mediocre from what I've played so far. Reminds me of the Bug Heroes games without bugs and less fun. I'll play it some more to see if it better.

Top Bottom