• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming December 2015 | F2P is frightful, but the sales are so delightful

Benedict

It's there for a reason. You can temporarily expunge it, but it'll come back. Even after a restore.

Switch off the features that area causing it (see my list above), or buy a larger iPad.

I don't think there's a reason, just one of Apples many problems.
tried most of you list of what was applicableon my iPad.
Still no difference.

I don't think there's a reason, just one of Apples many problems.
tried most of you list of what was applicableon my iPad.
Still no difference.
"no difference"? in order to help you more I'm going to need more information than that. specifics like whether or not facebook or twitter are taking up room, whether you have a large reading list, big safari cache, genius or iTunes match... etc. did you restart, how long did you leave it to reassess the free space.

A screenshot of your App Usage list would be a start.

I fixed this problem for myself and my wife. if you want to give up that's fine but that's where the buck stops - not because it can't be fixed :)

Benedict

"no difference"? in order to help you more I'm going to need more information than that. specifics like whether or not facebook or twitter are taking up room, whether you have a large reading list, big safari cache, genius or iTunes match... etc. did you restart, how long did you leave it to reassess the free space.

A screenshot of your App Usage list would be a start.

I fixed this problem for myself and my wife. if you want to give up that's fine but that's where the buck stops - not because it can't be fixed :)

I''ve started to reinstall the ipad.
I'll get back if the problem occurs again, which it probably will according to you.

I've never used the Genius or Music on my ipad.
No Instagram and the Facebook cache was pretty low.
I had no text voice or voice messages,
I deleted the reading list which had about 10-20 items.
Same goes with Safari.
What Itunes match is I don't know, but I had already disabled auto-install, if that is the same if i buy or install something on my iphone, it won't install on my iPad.

Erebus

How's Hitman GO? Does it bear any similarities to Lara Croft GO (which I absolutely loved)?

It's only 0.99 and I'm tempted.

How's Hitman GO? Does it bear any similarities to Lara Croft GO (which I absolutely loved)?

It's only 0.99 and I'm tempted.
Hitman GO was the first Square Enix foray into distilling bigger franchises into turn-based puzzlers

And it's fantastic. Now LC GO is more "game-y" - you're controlling a character on an adventure, etc. - Hitman GO instead has a gorgeous tabletop boardgame aesthetic, with figurines and wood borders
nexusae0_2014-06-04-19.55.16.png
russia_marketing_shot_02_2048_1536_1414062240.png
Hitman Go takes the stealth-puzzle foundation of the main series and distills the gameplay down to its purest form. The series' key elements still remain - distractions, disguises, guards and targets - but are presented in a wonderfully realized board-game aesthetic. The gameplay is as methodical as ever, perhaps even more so here than in its console/PC brethren, since enemies move when you move and without planning ahead, the wrong move will find you cornered or dead. Different guard behaviors and various objectives for missions that require different routes add replay value and challenge

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Merry Christmas guys! Don't forget to follow @GAF_iOS_scores in the new year too! ;)

Speaking of new year, c'mon 9.1/9.2 jailbreak! I need my blutrol fix to use with the iCade!
Man Pac-Man CE DX on the iCade is glorious, props to Bamco for still supporting the iCade, hopefully they'll add the extra DX + content in the next few months ...although I wish they'd finally update Pac-Man CE to Universal (and iCade while we're at it, lol) since I much prefer its gameplay over DX (which is fantastic, mind you)

Dash Kappei

Playing a shitton of Downwell (unlocked floaty but I'll stick to 6 hearts guy) and man it's the perfect iPhone game... too bad it controls much better on iPad with that layout... dunno it's probably as good on a 6+ but on my 5s it's cramped. But it's super good, love it.

Also playing a lot of Dodonpachi One-Stage Badass (lol) I'm actually ok with it being f2p because I'm quite addicted to it so far in gaining coins and level up everything; After all I have plenty of premium releases from Cave, didn't need another straight port.... unless of course they did again a new game like Maximum, then yeah fuck the f2p mechanics ahah

Also enjoying lots of Pac-Man CE DX as I mentioned earlier.
Stopped playing Horizon Chase a while ago and it's sad but I won't pick it up again until they freakin' implement cloud saves ffs

Will re-follow if it sticks to iOS stuff.

This sounded weird to me, so (dunno why I wasted time doing that, I guess I was curious since I didn't recall steering so often off iOS' topics) I went and checked all my tweets with that account going as far as July.

There's 6 tweets not related to iOS.
2 about MotoGP, 1 about Rick&Morty, 1 about Star Wars, 1 about Xbox's ads/sales numbers and I forgot what that other one was about.

6 or 7 or even if they'd been 10 Tweets in the span of six months bother you that much, yeah then @GAF_iOS_scores is probably not fit for your timeline because I do this for fun and I sure as shit ain't goinna stop posting a little something not stricly related to iOS once in a blu moon :)

And sorry guys to have taken a couple of posts in here, it was really meant to be tongue in cheeck (haven't brought up the account in ages here).

But thanks for the past-follow anyway, I guess it was good while it lasted sorry we couldn't make it work lol ^_^

6 or 7 or even if they'd been 10 Tweets in the span of six months bother you that much, yeah then @GAF_iOS_scores is probably not fit for your timeline because I do this for fun and I sure as shit ain't goinna stop posting a little something not stricly related to iOS once in a blu moon :)

And that's fair enough. looking at the timeline there's been some good stuff recently, so i'll give it another go.

awp69

Merry Christmas guys! Don't forget to follow @GAF_iOS_scores in the new year too! ;)

I followed you. And I don't mind tweets that I have no interest in. Obviously, I don't follow anyone I have no interest in.

But it's no different than Facebook where even really good friends post stuff I don't give a crap about, but I still like to hear about other things they say.

Anyway, Merry Christmas everyone!

Merry Christmas, guys! Was Santa good to you today? :p
Didn't get any iTunes gift cards, cause I didn't ask for any, but since I've acquired quite the backlog I think I'm good until Crashlands in January anyways.

Other than that I got pretty much everything I wanted this Christmas. :)

igor

I always wanted to buy Espgaluda and Dodonpachi but I will forever be confused about which version is the best to get so please spell it out for me :( I have an iPhone 6s

I got an iTunes gift card for 15 quid off my little sister and got Implosion (played one level and it's as fluid as a console title, you were right guys!!) and Thinking of grabbing Star Walk 2 but maybe any other games (or maybe even educational apps!) that you would recommend? Is Battle Supremacy: Evolution any fun?

awp69

I always wanted to buy Espgaluda and Dodonpachi but I will forever be confused about which version is the best to get so please spell it out for me :( I have an iPhone 6s

I got an iTunes gift card for 15 quid off my little sister and got Implosion (played one level and it's as fluid as a console title, you were right guys!!) and Thinking of grabbing Star Walk 2 but maybe any other games (or maybe even educational apps!) that you would recommend? Is Battle Supremacy: Evolution any fun?

Hard to say about Espgaluda or Dodonapachi. Both are good.

I would stay away from Battle Supremacy: Evolution.
The controls are pretty horrible which is sad to say because all of Atypical's other games are great.
This one also has potential but they really dropped the ball on the controls.

-psygnosis-

Neo Member
That's one great pile of games there,

While the Sorcery games are definitely enjoyable as standalones, the best experience is playing from the start. All your choices and equipment carries over between games, and your choices can drastically affect your journey. Things that happen in 1 can haunt you in 3. It's cumulative, really. Like I started 3 cursed by a unfriendly god, low on gold, with some magical weapons and learned spells. While someone else could start 3 in a very different way depending on what happened in 1 and 2

Sounds great, the trilogy it is then!

I would be sure to skip Zodiac -- at least for now. Game is riddled with bugs and original buyers got screwed with a higher price tag and no indication that it was going to be episodic...

Thanks for the heads up, didn't touch it yet and will look at the other games first then.

So far I finished Rusty Lake Hotel and it was a great experience, can be played together too to find out how to solve the puzzles. Overall it felt unique and fun, even though with these kinda puzzle games I am always wondering about the feedback and how to not make it turn into a "just tap the whole screen if your stuck" thing. Nevertheless highly recommended for anyone that likes more out of the ordinary games and narratives.

Oh and merry christmas everyone!

Dash Kappei

Just found your Twitter account and that is a very awesome idea you are making there. I gave you a follow.

Merry Christmas one and all iOS GAF.

And that's fair enough. looking at the timeline there's been some good stuff recently, so i'll give it another go.

I followed you. And I don't mind tweets that I have no interest in. Obviously, I don't follow anyone I have no interest in.

But it's no different than Facebook where even really good friends post stuff I don't give a crap about, but I still like to hear about other things they say.

Anyway, Merry Christmas everyone!

Thanks guys, appreciate it! :)

Just followed you too, and it is very relevant and informative. I were actually surprised how good I found it. Thanks for the effort.

Whoa, nice! :blushes: thanks for the follow :)

Pachimari

Just followed you too, and it is very relevant and informative. I were actually surprised how good I found it. Thanks for the effort.

I''ve started to reinstall the ipad.
I'll get back if the problem occurs again, which it probably will according to you.

I've never used the Genius or Music on my ipad.
No Instagram and the Facebook cache was pretty low.
I had no text voice or voice messages,
I deleted the reading list which had about 10-20 items.
Same goes with Safari.
What Itunes match is I don't know, but I had already disabled auto-install, if that is the same if i buy or install something on my iphone, it won't install on my iPad.
Here's more information on "Other"

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-5142

Couple of questions to pass the time:

iOS related Fail/Disappointment of 2015?
- Nintendo's delay of their first app + it being some social thing. Hoping that we see a game from them before the end of 2016.
- Apple TV limitation on MFi controllers.

iOS related hopes for 2016?
- Schiller and team improve the app store in the 2016 OS releases: better discoverable. upgrade prices, trials etc.
- I feel like this year there's been a bigger push towards 'Pay Once & Play' games on the app store. I don't really pay attention to f2p games, so maybe it's just me, but i'd like to see that continue.
- Allow tvOS games to use an MFi controller only.

Pie in the sky wish

- Apple buys or creates it's own gaming studio to make iOS games.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Some thoughts...

- Nintendo's delay of their first app + it being some social thing. Hoping that we see a game from them before the end of 2016.

I'm fairly convinced that Nintendo is fundamentally approaching mobile completely the wrong way. Every time they make a statement on it as a market they just sound backward in their thinking. I don't have high hopes.

- Apple TV limitation on MFi controllers.

Right now from a developers perspective, I don't actually feel like we are too limited by this currently.

If anything, what Apple TV really needs to garner more developer support and investment in the platform is a better Store interface and a more streamlined purchasing flow.

- Schiller and team improve the app store in the 2016 OS releases: better discoverable. upgrade prices, trials etc.

I can see improved discoverability happening. I have to imagine there is a much better opportunity for them to leverage what they know about the connected devices and customers to have much more intelligent surfacing and showcasing of content.

Trials? I don't see it. I mean, there is already sufficient flexibility in pricing and IAP for developers to offer free trials, so not sure what Apple would do here or if developers would even opt into it. Besides, Apple already has a no questions asked open ended refund policy anyway, so nobody should ever feel burned by a "bad" purchase.

- I feel like this year there's been a bigger push towards 'Pay Once & Play' games on the app store. I don't really pay attention to f2p games, so maybe it's just me, but i'd like to see that continue.

Hmmm they have been promoting discounted IAP and F2P games just as heavily ad with the same kinds of curated categories. So I don't know there is any particular favourability or leaning back towards paid content.

In talking with Apple they want to promote high quality, value for money experiences, regardless of the monetization model, and their behaviour with respect to featuring bares that out I think.

- Allow tvOS games to use an MFi controller only.

Might happen. But only if Apple is convinced it won't have a detrimental impact to any Apple TV consumer.

Pie in the sky wish

I just don't see any incentive for them to do this. Apple has all the developers and publishers it already wants creating high quality and innovative experiences for their platforms. Additionally, they liaise with the top ones regularly to ensure early support for their new platforms and features. And use examples from the marketplace as best practice and to drive marketing.

They are effectively getting all the benefits of owning studios inhouse without any of the risks or downsides.

That being said, Google has their own group creating games, but it is relatively small and more focused on developing new technologies and techniques and rolling them out to the community which is inline with the personality of Google.

I still haven't found a Diablo-like that I actually enjoy playing yet. Dungeon Hunter has gotten the closest, but it's still not quite there yet. I'm also still a bit bitter about Zodiac.

Please please please let Torchlight Mobile be good. And please please please let the English release of Mobius Final Fantasy (or whatever it's called now) be good and be available soon.

Pie in the sky wish

FFXI mobile port gets translated and is somewhat playable.

Pie in the sky wish

Similar to what Mario said most of the big developers are on iOS already and many high quality games are released regularly so there is not drought of good titles. Not to mention that many mobile devs still favor iOS and release their games on it first or only release it there so I wouldn't know what they would gain from this venture.

Not that I don't like the idea though, a game made by Apple with its resources is definitely a exciting dream.

Ocho

If I share my account with my family, they have access to my purchases, however my sister bought (through my cc aka asked to buy etc) Minecraft Story Mode DLC and it won't show in my device. Shouldn't the apps etc be shared? Or is 'DLC' the exception?

Pachimari

I'm happy Miitomo is a chat focused app first and foremost. There's no better way to communicate with your friends than through a mobile app. It works for PlayStation and it works for Xbox and Steam too. And that I can see my Mii is even better.

Recently I have also discovered that Avengers Alliance II and Chrono Trigger both requires iOS 9, which really sucks to me, as that basically makes sure I can't buy them. Are there other games on the App Store that currently requires iOS 9?

Question for all you fine experts here: I just recently convinced my dad (who is decidedly not a gamer but just got an iPhone) to try Monument Valley and he went nuts for it. He beat it in a few hours of non-stop playing and then played it again and now wants more. So my question: What are good Monument Valley type games .. for free? Thank you all for your help.

Top Bottom