• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming December 2015 | F2P is frightful, but the sales are so delightful

-psygnosis-

Neo Member
Just got an apple gift card, bought Rusty lake hotel, Ryan north to be or not to be, Adventures of poco eco, Galactic keep, Zodiac orcanon odyseey, Device 6, Hoplite, Wardwell House, Hopiko and Hiversaires..

Not sure about Sorcery, should I get the trilogy or just the latest game?

How i feel atm:

ecSwFOI.png

Gaaraz

Badland 2 is currently the top rated iOS game of all time according to Metacritic... curious to try it, but for some reason the original just really didn't click with me for some reason.

The art was incredible, and the game felt really well made and incredibly polished, I just found the gameplay to be frustrating for the most part rather than fun :(

igor

Badland 2 is currently the top rated iOS game of all time according to Metacritic... curious to try it, but for some reason the original just really didn't click with me for some reason.

The art was incredible, and the game felt really well made and incredibly polished, I just found the gameplay to be frustrating for the most part rather than fun :(

The game physics killed it for me. It was incredibly polished but tapping at the screen to get the horde of hopeless balls wasn't enjoyable for me at all... It was kinda like playing flappy bird, and I hated that game.

Crub

How well does This War of Mine work on an iPhone 5 (in regards to both performance and gameplay). If the game is really well-suited for portable play then I'd gladly pick it up on iOS. Otherwise I will go for the PC version.

Ghostoflies

Neo Member
How well does This War of Mine work on an iPhone 5 (in regards to both performance and gameplay). If the game is really well-suited for portable play then I'd gladly pick it up on iOS. Otherwise I will go for the PC version.

I play it on the 5c and it runs smooth as butter. Gameplay is amazing on it. I was very hesitate when I saw that it was on iphone but I am so glad I picked it up. I cannot recommend it enough.

Just got an apple gift card, bought Rusty lake hotel, Ryan north to be or not to be, Adventures of poco eco, Galactic keep, Zodiac orcanon odyseey, Device 6, Hoplite, Wardwell House, Hopiko and Hiversaires..

How i feel atm:

ecSwFOI.png
That's one great pile of games there,

While the Sorcery games are definitely enjoyable as standalones, the best experience is playing from the start. All your choices and equipment carries over between games, and your choices can drastically affect your journey. Things that happen in 1 can haunt you in 3. It's cumulative, really. Like I started 3 cursed by a unfriendly god, low on gold, with some magical weapons and learned spells. While someone else could start 3 in a very different way depending on what happened in 1 and 2

nampad

Can't play Rayman Adventures with my controller. When I start it there is a window informing me about the controller layout but I can't close it.

Anybody know how to do fix that?

killercow

Can't play Rayman Adventures with my controller. When I start it there is a window informing me about the controller layout but I can't close it.

Anybody know how to do fix that?

Have the same problem since they got the app out of soft-launch so I think it's a bug. Haven't been able to solve it.

Heroki 1.1 is coming early next year, available for Apple TV plus:

...Added 3 save slots so it's now more family friendly
...Added full MFi support and integrated this into the tutorial as well
...Added more checkpoints within the levels
...Improved the visibility of the secrets (no more grinding!)
...Improved the controls a lot!
...Smashed some serious bugs into obliteration
...Made great improvements to the camera
...Made the gameplay more accessible
...Made the game even smaller (less than 350MB)
...And lots more!

http://blog.picomy.com/2015/12/year-recap-and-more.html

Benedict

I keep losing storage on my iPad Mini 2.
No matter what I remove it still eats up whatever I have left.
I now checked it out on iTunes and Other is up at 7.82gb out of 32GB.

Whats the best solution to fix this?

I'm away from home at the moment, with a slow internet connection.

awp69

You can try a cleaner app like Dr. Storage. Also scroll through your purchase history to make sure there are no downloading circles. If you do, tap on them to get them to stop. Sometimes things get stuck there and it will not release the space.

Benedict

I can't find any Dr.Storage app on the appstore.
It was only 1 app that was downloading in purchase history, but I still have 0 gb available.

awp69

I can't find any Dr.Storage app on the appstore.
It was only 1 app that was downloading in purchase history, but I still have 0 gb available.

Hmm... Looks like it was removed.

You can try one of the other storage cleaning apps but I can't vouch for any others. Ashame, Dr. Storage works well.

Ocho

Is it possible to add people as friends in subterfuge? I clicked the heart icon in their profiles but I don't see a friend list, etc.

Oynox

I finally need to play the tutorial of Subterfuge. I imagine it to be the perfect game to play while being busy with other stuff as well. Doing a turn here and there...

awp69

One of the best dual stick shooters on iOS, Starborn Anarkist, is free. The game has a huge amount of customization of ships with blueprints as well as the ability to make your own ship from parts you collect. Of course, if your design is crap, your ship will be too based on the physics of engine placement, etc.

Check it out of you don't already have it!

I also think I'm gonna look into Subterfuge tonight.
It's very unique, very deep, and the long-form social strategy makes for some very thrilling moments of alliances, betrayals, and shifting fronts

This Polygon article does a really good job at explaining the depth and social strategy
http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/22/9...st-cunning-game-on-ios-right-now-heres-how-it
For the past week I've been consumed in several tense and deadly duels beneath the sea in Subterfuge, a strategic and surprisingly social experience. Simply put, it may be one of the best strategy games I've played all year. And it's on my iPhone, of all places.

It could be anything:

Facebook/Instagram caches (check in Settings > General > Usage)
Safari cache (Settings > Safari > Advanced > Website Data > Remove All Website Data)
Safari reading list storage (remove items from your reading list)
iTunes Match data (disable iTunes Match on the device)
Genius data (disable Genius?)
Text messages
Voice recordings

You'll also have to restart and wait a while for any space you've freed to show up as available.

On a Mac or PC if you can try the PhoneClean app.

awp69

How i feel atm:

ecSwFOI.png

I would be sure to skip Zodiac -- at least for now. Game is riddled with bugs and original buyers got screwed with a higher price tag and no indication that it was going to be episodic.

With as much flak as the game got, I'm not sure how well the game will do financially so those future episodes may never see the light of day.

It did show promise though. I would just sit out until the dust settles and at least the second chapter is out.

pronk420

It's very unique, very deep, and the long-form social strategy makes for some very thrilling moments of alliances, betrayals, and shifting fronts

This Polygon article does a really good job at explaining the depth and social strategy
http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/22/9...st-cunning-game-on-ios-right-now-heres-how-it

Does it have canned messages Nintendo style or do you actually have to type out the messages to other players? I don't really want to have to have text conversations with strangers unless it boils down to pushing a button to send a canned message.

Chuckpebble

Just went from iPhone 5c to 6s and have been dusting off some old games that I've deleted for whatever reason.

Wanna make a shout out for AG Drive. Don't get me wrong, it ran beautifully on my 5c, have to credit the dev for that. I think it was just a combo of screen size and a less precise accelerometer that made it hard to keep my ship from grinding the rails or going off course all the time. Now I'm having a ton of fun with it and my previous frustrations are mostly gone.

There was also a 3D Touch update which as far as I can tell just enables boost by pressing the accelerator harder. It's actually pretty useful.

Calculords is free right now.

I've been holding off on using it for a long time, but I'm excited to try it out. If I remember right it's a card game/tower defense/math game, or something like that.

Sounded so weird that I wasn't willing to spend full price on it, but I can't argue with Free!

awp69

Still sales being added but figured I'd mention two GoTY contenders: Downwell ($1.99 from $2.99) and Implosion ($4.99 from $9.99).

Nelo Ice

Banned
Finally beat Hero Emblems and damn what a ride. Was completely hooked from beginning to end but there was alot of fuckery. Had to cheese so many times to beat dungeons and by that I mean closing the app if I died so I didn't have to start over until I could finally beat the boss. Besides that amazing match 3 rpg/brawler. And I'm glad to see there's post game content too.

awp69

Heroki 1.1 is coming early next year, available for Apple TV plus:

...Added 3 save slots so it's now more family friendly
...Added full MFi support and integrated this into the tutorial as well
...Added more checkpoints within the levels
...Improved the visibility of the secrets (no more grinding!)
...Improved the controls a lot!
...Smashed some serious bugs into obliteration
...Made great improvements to the camera
...Made the gameplay more accessible
...Made the game even smaller (less than 350MB)
...And lots more!

http://blog.picomy.com/2015/12/year-recap-and-more.html

Awesome to hear!

heringer

I haven't been following iOS gaming much this year, but one thing that greatly surprised me was the lack of talk about Chaos Rings 3. The first three games were very high profile back when they were released, so it's a little puzzling. I hope they do a nice discount soon so people can pick it up. It really is a very good game.

I think I'll have to do a reinstall on my iPad.
Other won't budge and keeps on bloating the system
It's there for a reason. You can temporarily expunge it, but it'll come back. Even after a restore.

Switch off the features that area causing it (see my list above), or buy a larger iPad.

igor

So what's Implosion like? It looks like top down view devil may cry and I wonder how does it play on an iPhone? Sickened I missed the IGN game of the month thing, I completely forgot about this promotion :0

awp69

I haven't been following iOS gaming much this year, but one thing that greatly surprised me was the lack of talk about Chaos Rings 3. The first three games were very high profile back when they were released, so it's a little puzzling. I hope they do a nice discount soon so people can pick it up. It really is a very good game.

Agreed! It is great and was glad you mentioned it over on the GoTY thread. It's much different than the other CR games (not even sure why they used the IP -- probably just for name recognition). It's easily one of the best JRPGs on iOS.

awp69

So what's Implosion like? It looks like top down view devil may cry and I wonder how does it play on an iPhone? Sickened I missed the IGN game of the month thing, I completely forgot about this promotion :0

It's fantastic and it's kind of a combination of DMC with dual-stick shooter aspects. Complex upgrade system and a good challenge. One of the best action games - if not the best - on mobile. Easy recommendation for $4.99.

I played on an iPad Mini 2, but I think it would play well on an iPhone. The controls/interface aren't overwhelming.

Is there anywhere compiling an easy to browse list of sales worth checking out? Totally lost track of what's on sale beyond Chrono Trigger and I'm still not sure whether that's worth getting.

Dandte

Is there anywhere compiling an easy to browse list of sales worth checking out? Totally lost track of what's on sale beyond Chrono Trigger and I'm still not sure whether that's worth getting.

I've been using Ign's Guide

http://appaddict.net/2015/12/17/complete-guide-to-holiday-app-sales-2015/

I want to pick up a good rpg or dungeon crawler. Sadly SE destroyed ff VI for me this redefined sprites, and KotoR and DQ VIII aren't reduced. Any recommendations? I'm thinking about Sproggiwood and i'm using a 6s+.

Voidance

I've been using Ign's Guide

http://appaddict.net/2015/12/17/complete-guide-to-holiday-app-sales-2015/

I want to pick up a good rpg or dungeon crawler. Sadly SE destroyed ff VI for me this redefined sprites, and KotoR and DQ VIII aren't reduced. Any recommendations? I'm thinking about Sproggiwood and i'm using a 6s+.
Sproggiwood is a great choice for a dungeon crawler, and I'm not a fan of roguelikes as a general rule. It plays well on my 6s, too, due to good (and recently updated) UI design.

Been playing Bejeweled Skies recently. It's not bad.

Also, any recommendations on a crossword puzzle game? I have the daily celebrities one but the app doesn't even seem finished. If you go into the FAQ section, it's missing a back button so the only way to get out is to relaunch the app. It also doesn't have proper support for iPhone 6/6+.

Really? Wow.
Had been reading TA since it first started, but gave up on it this year.
I only read Shaun Musgrave's reviews there, he covers a lot of the smaller under-the-radar titles and he always shines a spotlight on cool RPGs

But my favorite site for mobile reviews is Pocket Tactics

And I'd say Pocket Gamer too, but I'm somewhat biased in that regard

KingKong

I only read Shaun Musgrave's reviews there, he covers a lot of the smaller under-the-radar titles and he always shines a spotlight on cool RPGs

But my favorite site for mobile reviews is Pocket Tactics

And I'd say Pocket Gamer too, but I'm somewhat biased in that regard

I like Pocket Tactics but they definitely seem much more strategy game focused than I would like

awp69

Noticed TA also put in AG Drive in it's favorites for the year. It was released in 2014. Sure they updated it with 3D Touch, but there were a LOT of games that got huge updates if they were including those.

I like Pocket Tactics but they definitely seem much more strategy game focused than I would like
They actually cover a sizable amount of other genres too. Interactive fiction like Sorcery and 80 Days, adventure games like Lumino City and Blackwell, puzzlers like SPL-T and Rules, action games like Don't Starve and Godfire, etc.

Pachimari

I would have bought Chrono Trigger if I had the money. Also looking out for a sale on The World Ends With You, Dragon Quest VIII and IV, V and VI.

I think I'm just gonna stop playing the Final Fantasy games on my iPhone and play them on Steam instead with the mods.

Emarv

Pocket Tactics is my favorite iOS site, especially because they cover genres I tend to enjoy. They just don't see to have enough manpower or influence to review as much as I wish they would.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Dragon Quest games are on sale... maybe I'll pick one up and play it during down time this family wknd.

DQ V is the one to get, I've been told.

Top Bottom