• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming February 2016 | Crashlands Bandicoot

awp69

Best auto runner on the Appstore to me is the Geometry Dash series. Nothing else comes close, imo.

Polara may have something to say about that. :)

Pitta, have you tried Rex Rocket? The interface is kinda cumbersome but it's a sci-fi, story driven Metroidvania style game so might fit the bill for you.

heringer

Pitta, have you tried Rex Rocket? The interface is kinda cumbersome but it's a sci-fi, story driven Metroidvania style game so might fit the bill for you.

Polara is pretty cool too, but not as good.

colinp

Banned
So they adjusted prices/gold output? That's fantastic.

Worst thing a great premium game can do is be needlessly grindy

Not just gold, also mats required for crafting, various weapons attack power and the like, too. It's a really fantastic update!

awp69

I think the App Store is kinda screwed up at the moment. Was going to update Dungelot and Horizon Chase and immediately after I press "update", it spins for a split second and goes back to update.

Urggh. Really want to check out the Dungelot update especially. Well, at least I have Greedy Cave and Space Grunts to keep me busy on the roguelike front.

kiguel182

Horzion Chase is saying I don't have the full game. Well, I do and it doesn't restore my purchase. Did this happen to anyone?

Their move to free to try was supposed to be seamless. There goes that I guess.

Matt Frost

Too bad to hear about Space Grunts buts I guess OrangePixel will fix it soon. Wishlisted.

Uhh, no that's not why I like it.

It leans towards a rhythm game rather than a reflex game, and if you're not into that I understand.

I like it because it's an incredibly polished and focused release, great at doing the one singular thing it does (a first for Foursaken, I might say) and the gritty atmosphere is absolutely to die for.

The UI is a sci-fi lovers wet dream, the visuals are probably Foursaken's best to date, and all the different rooms you come across allow for some very intriguing (albeit slight) environmental storytelling.

As for Space Grunts, I actually am finding the controls mar the experience a bit. Can definitely tell he went PC first this time around. Also, keep in mind, this is turn based, unlike Nuclear Throne. Still a great game though, hopefully he can optimize things a bit, maybe add some swipe controls.

I am tone deaf so thats why I didnt get it, I get it now. Music games are my nail in the coffin. Man I dont have any rhythm at all. When I sing people tell me to stop lol. I am bad. So if All Is Lost leans toward that I understand why I didnt like it.

Polara, so many great memories playing that game, and so many frustraring memories becuasr of the difficulty, but ultimately loved it. On my all time favorite iOS games.

awp69

Horzion Chase is saying I don't have the full game. Well, I do and it doesn't restore my purchase. Did this happen to anyone?

Yep. Updated due to the Chinese New Year's levels but now am getting the restore error. Worked fine after the first update when they made the switch. Hope they can resolve it now. Could be bad if the update removed whatever switch there was to show that it was purchased if they can't determine it again.

JCho133

Too bad to hear about Space Grunts buts I guess OrangePixel will fix it soon. Wishlisted.

After spending some time with it and fiddling with control customization a bit I found them more than sufficient.

I'd definitely consider picking it up now, especially while its on its 50% launch sale

okno

The more I play Crashlands, the more I realize it really is a pretty shallow game. Crafting is largely cosmetic, and I just don't care about that aspect of it. Whenever you are able to craft a new workstation, you are given four new pieces of armor, one, sometimes two, weapon, two-three bomb like items and a bunch of furniture to craft. The armor upgrades never give me a sense of progression. They just increase your HP with some random buff/resist stats, but they never really make you feel like you're getting much stronger. Early stage enemies can still give you plenty of grief if you don't pay attention.

The lack of progression as you "level up" is disappointing. You don't ever learn any new techniques, but you do build some side weapons (a dart gun, ninja star, etc). For the most part, Flux just does the same attack over and over and over. It would be nice to be able to learn some new attacks or to have some variation in the animation.

Farming ingredients is a giant pain in the ass and not at all fun. This is a constant problem in games like this, but god damn is it a boring pain in the ass. I have completed every quest that I can in Savannah and just need to go
to Higher Ground
, so I'm running around trying to craft some things before moving onward. The thing is is that many resources are placed totally randomly and there is no reliable way to find a particular item you need. You just have to run around until you run into it.

This would be a lot less annoying if I didn't pull aggro from EVERY SINGLE ENEMY ON THE SCREEN whenever I begin to mine a resource. The instant I hit a dusk shard, every Glidopus, Tartil, Wat, Zug, whatever, on the screen immediately begins to attack me. It doesn't matter if they are low level or high level enemies, every single one pulls aggro if I so much as cough. I have to run in and duck out, because it's just not fun to battle 5+ enemies at once. I just want to go out and farm some ingredients. I don't want to have to worry about every tiny Wompit attacking me, regardless of the fact that I can kill most anything with ease.

There are also the other issues with the quest log being hard to understand, the map not being user friendly, the crafting log being a pain in the ass, the inability to see what resources you have at any given moment.

It's a really great game, but it is far from perfect and becoming a major grind. Somehow, I keep finding myself going back, however...

kiguel182

Yep. Updated due to the Chinese New Year's levels but now am getting the restore error. Worked fine after the first update when they made the switch. Hope they can resolve it now. Could be bad if the update removed whatever switch there was to show that it was purchased if they can't determine it again.

Glad it's not just me. Since it's a general bug hopefully they will fix it soon.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

I think this could be due to the AppStore downtime. This is one of the reasons why I hate IAP premium unlocks, as soon as the online infrastructure goes down you stand to loose access to your game.

Side note on this game, I loved their "ITS STILL PREMIUM WE PROMISE GOD DONT HATE US" text tone of the bug fix updates after they changed the business model.

kiguel182

I think this could be due to the AppStore downtime. This is one of the reasons why I hate IAP premium unlocks, as soon as the online infrastructure goes down you stand to loose access to your game.

Side note on this game, I loved their "ITS STILL PREMIUM WE PROMISE GOD DONT HATE US" text tone of the bug fix updates after they changed the business model.

Yeah, I didn't appreciate the change. I get that they need to make money but they changed what I paid for, for the worst. Not that I paid a lot so whatever but it still bothers me a bit.

awp69

So is anyone else here playing The Greedy Cave? I'm really liking it a lot. Kind of gives me that same warm fuzzy feeling that Hero Emblems did.

It takes a beaten to death genre (roguelikes) and adds charm, depth and a little more strategy in to create something special IMO.

Granted, I wouldn't say I'm an expert in roguelikes by any means so that probably should temper my endorsement. And it isn't as big of a game changer as Hero Emblems was to the match 3 RPG genre. But it's been grabbing me more than other recent roguelikes such as Space Grunts and Dungelot.

pdk27

Yeah, I didn't appreciate the change. I get that they need to make money but they changed what I paid for, for the worst. Not that I paid a lot so whatever but it still bothers me a bit.

I bought it back when it first came out. Deleted it off my phone before it went free to make space for other stuff. Just reinstalled it and I can't get the full version either.

awp69

For anyone who has the Final Fantasy Portal app, apparently, they'll be giving away Final Fantasy II ("portal version", whatever that means) as part of it's 1st Anniversary celebration today through Feb. 14.

nampad

JCho133

Gotta say, Nitrome's Ultimate Briefcase is pretty sweet. Very fair upgrade prices too, for a "free to get" game

pdk27

Email the Horizon Chase developers. They said they found bugs in the system for checking if you are a previous paid owner. They already submitted a update to Apple.

Heel

Now this seems interesting. A narrative game that's played with a physical book you purchase.

The Ice-Bound Concordance

XifZqpv.gif
Wk7O02Q.gif

Pachimari

I also just now got the bug, where my purchased version of Horizon Chase is seen as the free trial, were the restore option doesn't work. I have emailed the developers.

I also recently began playing Wayward Souls for the first time. Oh my, was that an amazing experience. I got a question though, as I died, and woke up from the beginning. Is this a game, where I have to stay alive to get to the ending (alas get the whole story of the character told) and as soon as I die I start over and are stripped of my equipments and skills? That would be fine with me but I would like confirmation if this is the case.

awp69

I also just now got the bug, where my purchased version of Horizon Chase is seen as the free trial, were the restore option doesn't work. I have emailed the developers.

I also recently began playing Wayward Souls for the first time. Oh my, was that an amazing experience. I got a question though, as I died, and woke up from the beginning. Is this a game, where I have to stay alive to get to the ending (alas get the whole story of the character told) and as soon as I die I start over and are stripped of my equipments and skills? That would be fine with me but I would like confirmation if this is the case.

Yep. It's a roguelike so it's permadeath. And not easy!

Pachimari

Yep. It's a roguelike so it's permadeath. And not easy!
Rogulike was the word I were searching for. Nice, thanks for the confirmation.

Game's now deleted from my phone. Never to return.

Really? It's a bug, and is apparently being taken care of in an upcoming update, which have already been submitted to Apple.

There's so many awesome games on mobile - I think I currently have 100+ games on it, so I'm ready for my travelling in April. But then, I can't seem to find much that interests me from the past year, and I would like some game with a great narrative (already planning on getting Sword and Sworcery and Year Walk; I had these on Android) and probably Chaos Rings III and definitely Dragon Quest VI as well.

Honestly, I need Final Fantasy IX like right now, because then I know what I'll be playing on the plane.

Kyonashi

What would you guys' say is the best game you can play with only one hand?

I often have to hold onto the handles on the London Underground so I only have one hand to use.
I've been playing a lot of Tap My Katamari, Neko Atsume and Threes, but I'd like something a bit more gamey. Was looking at SPL-T?

Pachimari

I often have to hold onto the handles on the London Underground so I only have one hand to use.
I've been playing a lot of Tap My Katamari, Neko Atsume and Threes, but I'd like something a bit more gamey. Was looking at SPL-T?

SPL-T have gotten very good feedback. I should probably look into it as well. The Dragon Quest games are also high quality one-handed gaming. I would say, the kings to me, are Crossy Road and Flappy Bird. Sneak Beat Bandit for a rhythm game maybe?

Good time to jump in. The game will be coming to PC soon, so the IOS version will be getting updated with better animations, a new class, and game mode

Card Crawl or 99 Bricks. Super addictive, easy to play, and a lot of fun

awp69

I really need to try to get back into Wayward Souls. I love the game but was always absolutely horrible at it. But now that I've played a good many other roguelikes (although maybe not as hard) perhaps I can do better.

Pachimari

Yeah, I were thinking of Papa Sangre. Thanks!

I'm having tremendous fun with Crossy Road and have had since it launched. I just bought a piggy bank character for real money, just to earn coins faster and to get those 1000 free coins. Such an addicting game.

I also set a new record of 210. What are your records?

Top Bottom