• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming June 2015 | The future is now

Li Kao

Li Kao, how do you repeat the daily dungeon in Card Crawl?
I get one try per device.
If I retry (even if I died, like today) I get a message you can do it just once.

On a side note Heartsone is pretty flawless on both my Air and iPhone 6.
Since last update I can't really distinguish it from the desktop version but I do not play it a lot like in the past so maybe I'm just wrong.

Hmm, I will try again tonight, maybe I just encountered a bug. I could enter Daily mode multiple times yesterday. To the point where I had two (pitiful) scores on the leaderboard.

PittaGAF

Hmm, I will try again tonight, maybe I just encountered a bug. I could enter Daily mode multiple times yesterday. To the point where I had two (pitiful) scores on the leaderboard.

Oh I see.
Maybe they were just tweaking things yesterday.

Back questing :)

awp69

They did release an update which improved framerate, but only for iPad Air 2 and (I think) iPhone 6. I don't think it's related to Metal, just better opmization for stronger devices.

Must be glorious 60 fps on your Shield too. I'm jelly.

edit: it was a 64 bit upgrade. Here:

www.toucharcade.com/2015/05/15/hearthstone-64-bit-update

Kind of odd then because the Mini 2 is 64-bit so it should have improved performance on it as well.

Li Kao

Mmh, really tempted by Transistor but with how Hearthstone play on my ipad 4 and the game listing this hardware as the minimum...

Matt Frost

Try Harder is another worthy addition to the AdultSwim catalog for sure! Love the not randomized level with all the corpses lying around, the different ways to score (crushing your corpses i.e.), the powerups following you, the clean and bright presentation, controls are flawless they respond perfect to your taps, and everything is well put together, like the skip option at the beggining, the reset button, the house full of clones and so on. Getting rid of the ads! Also, I love that is not pay-to-win. Going back to play more!

Also liking Green Ninja by Nitrome... its nothing completely new, but how the frog kicks everyone asses with the sound wins me everytime. Nitrome just keeps rolling the right direction too.

awp69

Try Harder is another worthy addition to the AdultSwim catalog for sure! Love the not randomized level with all the corpses lying around, the different ways to score (crushing your corpses i.e.), the powerups following you, the clean and bright presentation, controls are flawless they respond perfect to your taps, and everything is well put together, like the skip option at the beggining, the reset button, the house full of clones and so on. Getting rid of the ads! Also, I love that is not pay-to-win. Going back to play more!

Also liking Green Ninja by Nitrome... its nothing completely new, but how the frog kicks everyone asses with the sound wins me everytime. Nitrome just keeps rolling the right direction too.

I'm digging Try Harder (even though it's another runner, it's fiendishly difficult, quite addictive and has spot on controls) but Green Ninja isn't grabbing me.

Matt Frost

AdultSwim, add coins, some upgrades, different costumes and missions to Try Harder and I (and many others I think) got something to play for a looooong time...

I'm digging Try Harder (even though it's another runner, it's fiendishly difficult, quite addictive and has spot on controls) but Green Ninja isn't grabbing me.

They missed the opportunity to add a maximum number steps and medals for each level but the levels seems to have only one solution... still early on it, but the sound it makes everytime it hits an enemy wins me over.

Another thing that is winning me over is an upcoming game called "Kill the Plumber", where you have to do exacly what the name says. Looks like a ton of fun and always wanted to play the reverse role :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29bqVD_wJHc

https://www.facebook.com/killtheplumber

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Guys, can I ask your opinion for a game release on the app store. In your opinion, which of these options is better:

1. A paid version of the game, and a separate ad-supported free version OR
2. Just an ad-supported free version with an IAP to remove ads

Or any other opinions appreciated.

Guys, can I ask your opinion for a game release on the app store. In your opinion, which of these options is better:

From what I've read, it can be more challenging for devs to maintain two apps so that's why the norm is free with ads and ad-remover IAP.
Considering the state of the App Store, I think a free ad-supported app with IAP would be the best option.

Personally I prefer straight-up premium, but 2) is probably better for a developer

Heel

The game at first is incredibly easy (meaning: you make to the end of the dungeon) till you realize that to beat your score you have to trash useful objects.

I'm just coming to that realization. I lost my first game, then have rattled off 5 straight wins since.

Which cards can be trashed for score? Is it everything except ability cards?

I'd experiment, but want to keep my streak alive...haha.

awp69

Minotron 2112 is now free. I think Minter may actually be making all of his iOS games permanently free.

He seems to have become pretty jaded towards the whole App Store environment, probably with good reason.

Dynamite Shikoku

From what I've read, it can be more challenging for devs to maintain two apps so that's why the norm is free with ads and ad-remover IAP.
Considering the state of the App Store, I think a free ad-supported app with IAP would be the best option.

Personally I prefer straight-up premium, but 2) is probably better for a developer

Thanks. I'd prefer premium only as well, but not sure how viable that is these days. Anyway, still thinking about it.

chris121580

AdultSwim, add coins, some upgrades, different costumes and missions to Try Harder and I (and many others I think) got something to play for a looooong time...

They missed the opportunity to add a maximum number steps and medals for each level but the levels seems to have only one solution... still early on it, but the sound it makes everytime it hits an enemy wins me over.

Another thing that is winning me over is an upcoming game called "Kill the Plumber", where you have to do exacly what the name says. Looks like a ton of fun and always wanted to play the reverse role :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29bqVD_wJHc

https://www.facebook.com/killtheplumber
This will be my next purchase. Looks great!

okno

After avoiding Card Crawl due to early criticism, I'm glad I finally picked it up. What an excellent little puzzler/rouge-like it is. To reduce to a simple Solitaire game is criminal. This is far from any card game I've ever played, but could easily be translated to a regular deck of cards. The presentation and everything is just lovely, and the strategy is immense. Stupendous little game, it is!

Heel

After avoiding Card Crawl due to early criticism, I'm glad I finally picked it up. What an excellent little puzzler/rouge-like it is. To reduce to a simple Solitaire game is criminal. This is far from any card game I've ever played, but could easily be translated to a regular deck of cards. The presentation and everything is just lovely, and the strategy is immense. Stupendous little game, it is!

Yeah, my brain loves the min/maxing and playing the game as efficiently as possible, while still pushing my luck.

There's probably some way to break it down to its base level and do some math to end up with 1 life at the end of the game, maximizing your score, but I haven't reached that level of obsession...haha. I guess the randomness of the deck and abilities would make that pretty tough for a card counter, though.

I actually just ended a game with:

1) coin card
2) 7 shield
3) 9 monster
4) ability card to shuffle a card back into a deck that no longer exists

With...2 life remaining. I guess you could say the math didn't quite work out for me, haha. :(

PittaGAF

I'm just coming to that realization. I lost my first game, then have rattled off 5 straight wins since.

Which cards can be trashed for score? Is it everything except ability cards?

I'd experiment, but want to keep my streak alive...haha.

You can trash swords/potions/shields.
DO NOT TRASH COINS (you get points only if you equip them).
Special abilities cards do not give you points (but there is an achievement for trashing them).

Another little strategy layer is that you can trash items from the upper row OR the backpack.
Once equipped in hands you can't trash an item....so keep in mind that too.

On a side note, the new cards are awesome, so are the adjustments made to the old one (like the now reduced leech...damn!!! :p )

Got some cool news to share: starting next week, I'm going to start writing for Pocket Gamer! Very excited about that.

--
So going to be adding Hitman Sniper, I Need To Build A Boat, and Transistor to the OP. Any other notable releases?

Dynamite Shikoku

Got some cool news to share: starting next week, I'm going to writing for Pocket Gamer! Very excited about that.

--
So going to be adding Hitman Sniper, I Need To Build A Boat, and Transistor to the OP. Any other notable releases?

Congrats. Do you/will you still do any beta testing?

Dynamite Shikoku

Oh cool. I wouldnt mind getting you to test my new one soon, as you did for my other game Gleamer. Would be around August.

Chuckpebble

Remember folks, mobile has no real games, no lengthy or good experiences, and the ports always suck
/s
qFa6qeZ.jpg

Oh, I see your point...
...but then MH4U came out.

awp69

Got some cool news to share: starting next week, I'm going to writing for Pocket Gamer! Very excited about that.

--

That's awesome! Congratulations! Looking forward to reading your reviews. Always nice to know someone who's opinion you trust is writing them.

That's awesome! Congratulations! Looking forward to reading your reviews. Always nice to know someone who's opinion you trust is writing them.
Going to be starting out with news (releases, upcoming stuff, etc.) and previews first. Not sure how I feel about reviews, don't really like rating games and I tend to focus on positive aspects rather than being critical

awp69

Going to be starting out with news (releases, upcoming stuff, etc.) and previews first. Not sure how I feel about reviews, don't really like rating games and I tend to focus on positive aspects rather than being critical

Ah, well, still looking forward to your stories. And I can understand about the reviews. Unless a game is really bad, I tend to be the same way.

heringer

i always consider picking this up, but never have

is the iOS port good if you only play with virtual controls?

also can you run music/podcasts while playing the game?

The virtual controls are great. Actually, I was shocked at how they made it work. I really didn't think it was possible. It's still no physical controller, but it's far better than playing it on PSP, imo.

Did you see this article on PG?

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Republique/news.asp?c=65833

Sounds like it could be quite a while for the iOS versions to come out.

I can't access from work. What does it say?

awp69

I can't access from work. What does it say?

Basically says they are working on the PC version but they made a lot of changes to the visuals. And that may make the iOS versions harder to make, but they're still committed to doing them.

colinp

Banned
Wow, that's soooooo sleazy of Camouflaj. Kinda unbelievable they'd just drop iOS development entirely while they work on the PC version, especially when they sold the game as "a real game on iOS!" with the kickstarter. How gross.

Congrats on the new gig Badass!

heringer

Basically says they are working on the PC version but they made a lot of changes to the visuals. And that may make the iOS versions harder to make, but they're still committed to doing them.

Shame...

Eh, whatever. The way they handled the game from the start was a complete mess.

Decided to pick up Card Crawl, and wow, I can't believe I had overlooked this. It's so polished and a lot of fun. There's a nice amount of strategy and depth as well. Really enjoying it

PittaGAF

This reminded me why I never pick up episodic games.

HBP

Wow, that's soooooo sleazy of Camouflaj. Kinda unbelievable they'd just drop iOS development entirely while they work on the PC version, especially when they sold the game as "a real game on iOS!" with the kickstarter. How gross.

Congrats on the new gig Badass!

The game is boring anyway.

MagicD

Our game Riff the Robot was featured on iTunes last week and we chose option 3: IAP and Ads only - no way to remove Ads...and I think we'll look back on that as a mistake. So you're thinking along the right path, namely, need a way to remove ads. I'm partial to the IAP to remove ads as, like More_Badass said, it's much easier to support 1 app than 2.

That said, I see evidence that it might be easier to stay around on the Top Paid game list than the Top Free list as there seems to be a bit less quality competition. It also seems like review sites tend to write more articles more about Paid games.

...so good luck with your game and your decision :)

SuperPac

I would encourage you NOT to do #2 if you expect that IAP to actually make you any money.

I know people here and elsewhere will tell you they'd buy that purchase. Maybe they would. But literally no one else will. Having released now 2 games with a remove ads purchase I can tell you fairly definitively - everyone asks/begs for that, and next to no one actually buys it when presented with the option. Like, a *horrifyingly* low percentage. Like, don't bank on it making anything. Lower than the number of people who would have just bought a premium paid version.

If you still think you want to experiment with that, do 2 versions (paid and free) and include a remove ads option in the free version and see for yourself how many people buy it.

Our game Riff the Robot was featured on iTunes last week and we chose option 3: IAP and Ads only - no way to remove Ads...and I think we'll look back on that as a mistake. So you're thinking along the right path, namely, need a way to remove ads. I'm partial to the IAP to remove ads as, like More_Badass said, it's much easier to support 1 app than 2.

That said, I see evidence that it might be easier to stay around on the Top Paid game list than the Top Free list as there seems to be a bit less quality competition. It also seems like review sites tend to write more articles more about Paid games.

...so good luck with your game and your decision :)
Well top free can be somewhat stagnant, while currently on Top Paid, Hitman Sniper and Transistor made it to the top 10, and new quality releases will rise up the ranks at a more regular pace than F2P games

On that note, it's awesome to see Transistor at #2 Top Paid game. A $10 game rising so fast? Of course it is a port of a critically acclaimed indie game, but it is still expensive by mobile standards. Like a $60 game among $5 to $30 games, relatively speaking

Top Bottom