• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming June 2015 | The future is now

Ambitious

How's the iOS version of Papers, Please? There's still no release date for the Vita version, and I'd really like to play it.

Is it possible to change the in-game language? My phone's set to German, but I'd rather play it in English.

Chuckpebble

i always consider picking this up, but never have

is the iOS port good if you only play with virtual controls?

also can you run music/podcasts while playing the game?

I've used touch controls exclusively and I find them to be pretty good. I do run into issues when it gets intense and my phone gets warmer, my thumbs get tacky and some of the touch and slide controls become tricky. I use a 5c btw.

Podcasts and music keep playing in the background, but the music and sound effects of the game keep playing. I guess that's kind of ideal as you can change them independently in game.

Benedict

Finally managed to get the water under control by having two pregnant women working under harsh conditions when I get invaded by rad roaches...

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
^^^ This. Looks a bit like Monument Valley, which is a good thing to me since that artwork was amazing. Intrigued by this, hoping is a premium game.

if it follows the Hitman Go model (and i have to assume it will) it'll be a $5 with w/ no IAP and a couple of free DLC packs over the course of 6 months

so yeah, day 1 purchase for me!

Wow! Although I can see Square charging a lot for FFVII, way more than their current FF iOS games cuz people will throw their money at it.

TA hands on with Torchlight:

http://toucharcade.com/2015/06/16/e3-2015-hands-on-with-torchlight-mobile/

Torchlight Mobile is free to play, and comes equipped with all the typical trappings of that monetization model. There's an energy meter, and entering quests will cost you some energy each time, with harder quests typically costing more. There's also two currencies, a soft coin currency which is earned in abundance during quests, and a premium gem currency which you will be able to earn through play by way of special events but will also be sold in IAP packs. Really, there's nothing here that's very surprising if you've played basically any other free to play game. It's not an overly-aggressive system, but it's also not free reign to play as much or for as long as you may wish.

PittaGAF

I know I'm probably just naive and detached from the real world by now but I still can't believe publishers make more money with free to play than with premium games.

I don't think I would ever pay for consumable iaps...maybe it's just my age, my generation....I dilapidated my parents fortune in the very first arcades so maybe it's just that.
But I still can't believe it.

Sigh.

I know I'm probably just naive and detached from the real world by now but I still can't believe publishers make more money with free to play than with premium games.

I don't think I would ever pay for consumable iaps...maybe it's just my age, my generation....I dilapidated my parents fortune in the very first arcades so maybe it's just that.

Sigh.
A larger audience, the mindset of the general community, the nature of said games and the allure of instant gratification ($0.99 to upgrade/play/advance now rather later, "why not, game didn't cost me anything anyway")

etc.

I know, it's a shame, but the norm regarding PC versions and ports nowadays definitely seems to lean towards paid rather than free. Torchlight, Dungeon Keeper, Castlestorm, etc. vs Transistor, XCOM, Hitman GO, Baldur's Gate, FTL, etc.

Don't really care now, DotEmu is bringing Titan Quest (such an amazing dungeon crawler) to iOS o/
The inner torchlight fanboy in me is still dissapointed.:( I've never tried Titan quest but it being a 2006 game doesn't make me want to jump on it.

Edit:
Pocket Gamer said:
The mobile version retains the same 3D graphics of its PC cousin, with players moving the hero around using a virtual stick and virtual buttons.
Yeah, no thanks.

am_dragon

Sigh.

I use to feel the same way, also growing up in the '70-'80 with quarter munching machines. I have very little experience with MMO's for exactly this reason. I want to pay once for my game and enjoy it. Then I found one of those games that I really enjoy. I don't buy as many games because I just go back to the one I enjoy. I iap sparingly in that one game, and feel that the time it takes me to use up that purchase is worth the cost.

I still shake my head when I see the revenues generated by those top FTP games.

I'm not saying you should try any to see what you think but at the same time I do think there is some value there for the consumer, in IAP for a FTP game.

BTW Radiation Island and Goblin Sword seem to be going on sale for .99 (being modified right now).

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

Sigh.

It is amazing how much of a barrier having to pay even just 99c up front is for most of the market. So, when people say "I would have paid $X for that!" they are unfortunately in a very, very small minority. The paid model just isn't viable for the most part when most of the market is expecting not to have to pay anything up front to play.

That isn't to say that F2P is an easy business model by comparison but there is much greater upside potential there because you can generate orders of magnitude more reach.

From our perspective F2P is also "safer" in that even if you get the monetization wrong up front, you've hopefully built up a much larger audience allowing you to fix the game over time. If you fail out of the gate with premium title you are basically dead in the water.

It is amazing how much of a barrier having to pay even just 99c up front is for most of the market. So, when people say "I would have paid $X for that!" they are unfortunately in a very, very small minority. The paid model just isn't viable for the most part when most of the market is expecting not to have to pay anything up front to play.

That isn't to say that F2P is an easy business model by comparison but there is much greater upside potential there because you can generate orders of magnitude more reach.

From our perspective F2P is also "safer" in that even if you get the monetization wrong up front, you've hopefully built up a much larger audience allowing you to fix the game over time. If you fail out of the gate with premium title you are basically dead in the water.
I don't mind F2P games only when they have IAP that can take me off the monitization treadmill that so many F2P seem to have. No matter how fun the gameplay a F2P game has, if it dictates how long I can play, when I can play, or puts $$$ above player skill, then it usually is uninstalled from my device very quickly.

PittaGAF

I know, and still it puzzles me.
And they are maybe the same people than then dump 100 dollars in 2 months over consumable iaps.

Thanks for the insight, I never considered the potential 'fixing' during time with a larger base.
But still I'm puzzled.
And by now I'm pretty certain the ftp market is much more competitive than ever, where the big chunk of revenue is made always by the same companies who have a great financial power to even do ads during Super Bowl etc...
Making a profitable ftp game must be a real effort now if you are not that big.

Oynox

So many good games are on sale right now! Which one should I get?

Evoland 1.99 instead of 4.99
Goblin sword 1.99 instead of 1.99
Hero emblems 1.99 instead of 3.99

Incredible. All of them showed up yesterday... There are still some older sales I am struggling with...

And then it rained 0.99 Instead of 2.99
Destructamundo 0.99 launch sale
Pixel boat rush 0.99 instead of 1.99

It is so much easier to create a never to beat backlog on mobile than on pc or consoles. So many good games on iOS these days!

/edit

Oh I just noticed that I am no junior member anymore... Yaaaay! :)

Matt Frost

I don't mind F2P games only when they have IAP that can take me off the monitization treadmill that so many F2P seem to have. No matter how fun the gameplay a F2P game has, if it dictates how long I can play, when I can play, or puts $$$ above player skill, then it usually is uninstalled from my device very quickly.

This, one million times. When $ above is skill or dictates when I can play (never understood why this are here other than to milk you out with IAP) the game goes away so quickly... and seeing FallOut Shelter I cant understand why this f2p thing has to be so abusive. No timers, no paywalls, just a lunchbox that you can buy if you want, nothing pay-to-win or similar, nothing game-breaking and still they are making a lot of money from it. It shows that they dont need to be so greedy at all with monetization.

Oynox

However, one should also keep in mindestens that fallout shelter might be some kind of marketing for Fallout 4 thus justifying lower income from IAPs. I bet it was not made with "money generating" in mind. Something you probably cannot say for TES Legends or this Star Wars CCG either.

Does anyone has actual numbers regarding income on fallout shelter?

Matt Frost

However, one should also keep in mindestens that fallout shelter might be some kind of marketing for Fallout 4 thus justifying lower income from IAPs.

And so does countless companies such as King Ent. They have money, probably to live two or three lives without working, but still, they need more and still ripping of players with every new game they put out.

Does anyone has actual numbers regarding income on fallout shelter?

Probably a lot. Look at the Top Grossing list and the IAPs sold. A lot.

Oynox

And so does countless companies such a Zynga, PikPok, he one who makes Clash of Clans or Candy Crush Saga. They have money, probably to live two or three lives without working, but still, they need more and still ripping of players with every new game they put out..

I guess it depends on the company. I mean the big publishers of console video games started kind of a greedy strategy as well, with season passes and numerous micro transaction. Wochenende will probably never get rid of such money sucking companies, though I am wondering why so many people support them. And there need to be quite a number of them, since they continue to do it.

Nevertheless there are companies who apply fairer models. Like Bethesda. I always considered Bethesda one of those unique "friendly" publishers. Maybe that is why they decided to release such a fair f2p game.

For now the game might top the charts, but let's see how it looks in some weeks. The old "champions" will probably be up in the front again, proving that the aggressive marketing is more valuable in the long term. God knows why.

Since we are talking about the store top lists, how are they measured? By number of IAPS purchases or by the pure $$$ income?

Top Bottom