• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming June 2016 | Be still my growing backlog, summer is here

I love Star Realms on my phone and iPad, its an excellent game with easy to read cards and a clean interface.

Today, I pulled down Cthulu Realms, they clearly let graphics take the lead to game play. Color combinations are awkward, too many of the cards lookl exactly the same until you "zoom" on them. Everything is just generally smaller to make room for their fancy background. Totally disappointing.

killercow

Macrumors has a statement, following Apple's keynote at WWDC, that "Game Center has been removed" in iOS 10. I can't seem to find any more information about it though. Does anyone know?

Seems like it's gone in iOS 10 Beta 1, yep. Seeing that they just integrated that into WatchOS, I'm not sure I understand why or if it's just a bug.

awp69

Macrumors has a statement, following Apple's keynote at WWDC, that "Game Center has been removed" in iOS 10. I can't seem to find any more information about it though. Does anyone know?

Seems like it's gone in iOS 10 Beta 1, yep. Seeing that they just integrated that into WatchOS, I'm not sure I understand why or if it's just a bug.

Maybe they nerfed it again and took it out of the beta until it's fixed. I can't see them totally ditching it. But certainly needs improvement the way it has been.

RM8

Ugh, I want something like Cat Knight Story but less wallet-assaulting. The checkpoint system is kind of crappy, IMO.

EDIT: Lol, ignore this dumb opinion, that can be fixed with a purchase. Yay!

Still playing Leap Day, they just released a new update to give rewards for completing the levels each day. I hope the game gets updates for a long time. Such simple little fun.

I'm also playing Sky Force Reloaded on my iPad, which is a much better experience than on the phone. You can actually tell what's happening! And I'll probably sink some money into the F2P options because I'm a monster.

colinp

Banned
Still playing Leap Day, they just released a new update to give rewards for completing the levels each day. I hope the game gets updates for a long time. Such simple little fun.

Yes! You can unlock new characters to play as!

I'm not sure it's each day though. The first gift requires one day (three trophies) but the next requires four which is at least one day +1.

I still love playing this game a bit everyday and this makes it all the sweeter.

That new Zelda gameplay reminded me that I never had beat Oceanhorn and that I still had my save in iCloud. Might have to downloaded it again at some point.

In other news, Titan Quest got an update today that fixed tons of bugs and performance issues but also broke the game at the same time, nice.

awp69

Picked up AZZL when it was free a few days ago and just now gave it a try. Man, how did I miss this game?

It may seem a bit kiddish but just the design of the game is amazing. You basically move puzzle pieces around until they fit correctly or in the right order. But what makes it so ingenious is that the puzzles are animated while you are doing them. I don't know how difficult that had to be to program.

Very cool.

Thanks for the heads up. Missed that. Have been slightly out of the mobile loop this week, partially because I started writing for other sites so that's been keeping me busy but mainly because I'm finally getting a PS4. Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne, here I come

Matt Frost

Thanks for the heads up. Missed that. Have been slightly out of the mobile loop this week, partially because I started writing for other sites so that's been keeping me busy but mainly because I'm finally getting a PS4. Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne, here I come

Congrats! Bloodborne is on of the best games ever! Love it, currently going for the Platinum. And 2016/2017 is going to be insane: new God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman, The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy XV, Titanfall 2 and much much more!

Yep, same here. Hope they keep adding things

Jamesways

Congrats! Bloodborne is on of the best games ever! Love it, currently going for the Platinum. And 2016/2017 is going to be insane: new God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman, The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy XV, Titanfall 2 and much much more!
Yep, same here. Hope they keep adding things

I love the Souls series, and I still think Bloodborne had the best lore. Loved the
Lovecraft cosmic horror
the game turns into. DSIII was fantastic, but lacking that unsettling factor for sure. Thinking of playing BB again, I didn't do the DLC.

Back to mobile games, I don't know if anyone still plays Real Racing 3, but they added a great free expansion for the 50th Anniversary of Ford's win/their return to LeMans this week.

-4 new great GTE class cars and events to lead up to the 24 hour race on Sat.

Best racing game on mobile for me hands down.

Pachimari

Leo's Fortune is also on sale for those of you who haven't gotten it yet. I just bought that one too. It's supposed to be pretty good?

Matt Frost

Leos Fortune is great

I love the Souls series, and I still think Bloodborne had the best lore. Loved the
Lovecraft cosmic horror
the game turns into. DSIII was fantastic, but lacking that unsettling factor for sure. Thinking of playing BB again, I didn't do the DLC

Yeah, also playing DS3 and cant shake off that thinking: Bloodborne is better: lore, combat and setting. The DLC, The Old Hunters is amazing: more difficult, more fun weapons to play with (a way better whip, a puzza cutter,...), the boss fights are intense, explains the lore a little more (since you are fighting Yahrnam legends) and much more. If you can, get it. Also got a few updates that added infinite replayable stuff.

killercow

Power Hover updated with new challenge levels and more, looks fun :)

Titan quest also got a bugfix patch for that last update.

colinp

Banned
I think the second level Leap Day gift bugged out on me. I got 3/4 when I completed yesterday 100% and then when I checked again later it said I was on level 3 0/6. I never got my level 2 gift! Not sure what it was either as it doesn't seem to have unlocked anything...

Edit: oh nevermind! Getting a fruit gives one point, too and it looks like I got Yolk's selfie pic, hah how silly.

That new low graphics option in Titan Quest is a godsend. Performance issues are gone, my phone doesn't get hot like it used to, and the game no longer kills my battery life.

Pachimari

I finally get how to play This War of Mine. It is so great on the iPad Pro 9.7. I had it on Steam already but never figure it out, but I did last night in bed and I had a good time with it. Is "The Little Ones" included in the app or is it coming further down the line, do we know?

Matt Frost

I finally get how to play This War of Mine. It is so great on the iPad Pro 9.7. I had it on Steam already but never figure it out, but I did last night in bed and I had a good time with it. Is "The Little Ones" included in the app or is it coming further down the line, do we know?

Coming down the line, later this year. If it will be paid or free DLC remains unknown

mid83

I think I might have asked this before but I can't find the post since I'm on mobile all day. What are some good SRPG's on iOS? I own FFT I'd love some more since I think the genre works great with touch controls.

Pachimari

Coming down the line, later this year. If it will be paid or free DLC remains unknown
Alright. Sad that we have to wait compared to all the other version, so I hope it'll release soon but good to know that it is coming.

Im also enjoying FF Tactics on my iPad at the moment.

Pachimari

Looks like Lumines: Puzzle & Music soft launches in Japan and NZ on July 19 and then worldwide in Sept. Can't wait!
That's the singleplayer game right? It's my most anticipated iOS game. Super fan of Lumines since the first one on PSP. Can't wait!

Hopefully it'll be playable on iPad as I don't have an iPhone currently.

killercow

That's the singleplayer game right? It's my most anticipated iOS game. Super fan of Lumines since the first one on PSP. Can't wait!

Hopefully it'll be playable on iPad as I don't have an iPhone currently.

It's the signle player, premium app yes :) iPad is a given AFAIK.

FerranMG

What happens if you turn mobile data off for F2P games that show an endless carousel of ads?
I've been playing a lot of Train Conductor World lately. It's a really cool game, but they tuned up the ads in the latest update, and in this month this app alone has consumed over 300MB of my data plan.
What would be the difference between turning mobile data off, and buying the no-ads IAP?

killercow

What happens if you turn mobile data off for F2P games that show an endless carousel of ads?
I've been playing a lot of Train Conductor World lately. It's a really cool game, but they tuned up the ads in the latest update, and in this month this app alone has consumed over 300MB of my data plan.
What would be the difference between turning mobile data off, and buying the no-ads IAP?

If the game's not online only it won't show any ads. At least that's what happens for me most of the time.

Pachimari

Should I buy this war of mine for an iPhone 5S or is the screen too small for a decent experience?
It depends. I can play most things on a small screen but no doubt it's much better on an iPad. Because you move different people around and environment. Thankfully you can zoom in and out as well. So it might be playable.

FerranMG

One way you don't support the developer making more cool games, the other way you don't?

Normally I don't mind ads. I understand they're the price to pay for a F2P game.
But, in this specific scenario, my data plan has run out, and an update of the game has increased the amount of ads.

It's similar to the ad-blocking thing in websites.
Neogaf has a good policy on ads => I don't block them (and even went the extra mile to buy an ad-blocker for Safari that allowed me to whitelist it).
Digital newspaper sites that are impossible to navigate because of ads and trackers => blocked.
I guess it's impossible to find a formula to show an adequate amount of ads so that nobody complains, but if I find a situation is not right, I will search for a way to minimize the negative effects it has on me.

So is the steel series stratus any good? I'd like a controller for my iPad but I would rather pick one up locally instead of shipping.

Should I buy this war of mine for an iPhone 5S or is the screen too small for a decent experience?
I think it's iPad or PC. Even though you could zoom in on iPhone, it just really isn't ideal, especially when there may be multiple icons near each other

Top Bottom