• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming June 2016 | Be still my growing backlog, summer is here

The Game Center WWDC session was interesting, the app is gone as discussed here previously, but a lot of the functionally remains.

You can no longer add or edit your Game Center friends list, it's done until they phase it out. You can send challenges through iMessage. Leaderboards, Achievements etc. are all done in the game itself. Can have icloud multiplayer sessions with the session date stored in your icloud account.

Other things that were announced this week: Can live stream directly to services like mobcrush with replay kit, can use promo codes for IAP.

Rlan

The Game Center WWDC session was interesting, the app is gone as discussed here previously, but a lot of the functionally remains.

You can no longer add or edit your Game Center friends list, it's done until they phase it out. You can send challenges through iMessage. Leaderboards, Achievements etc. are all done in the game itself. Can have icloud multiplayer sessions with the session date stored in your icloud account.

Other things that were announced this week: Can live stream directly to services like mobcrush with replay kit, can use promo codes for IAP.

So how are they doing leaderboards in the future, then? Is it just no longer having a Game Center account, and just using your iTunes account or something? Phone contacts as a leaderboard?

Main concern is how this might completely bork up some legacy apps, or how some more recent leaderboard chasers will have to change (Steppy Pants, etc)

colinp

Banned
So how are they doing leaderboards in the future, then? Is it just no longer having a Game Center account, and just using your iTunes account or something? Phone contacts as a leaderboard?

Main concern is how this might completely bork up some legacy apps, or how some more recent leaderboard chasers will have to change (Steppy Pants, etc)

iMessage challenges sounds great, I agree legacy support will be... Troublesome. I recently started playing Hero Academy again and am having issues with notifications going through as well as turns being sent. Game not being updated for two years probably doesn't help, of course.

Sounds like leaderboards will be displayed through the game with the iCloud account.
Not sure about legacy games, guess they'll have to update.

Sounds like leaderboards will be displayed through the game with the iCloud account.
Not sure about legacy games, guess they'll have to update.

I havent looked much into the Game Center thing but I hope this doesn't break playing previous games. GC can go away for them if they dont update but I don't want this to be another thing that makes the lazy ass SE not update or let their old premium games day.

I would like to say that I'll miss the friends list but then again I don't even remember how many friends I have not do I ever actually check it.

Most multiplayer games have guilds and friends features anyway.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Normally I don't mind ads. I understand they're the price to pay for a F2P game.
But, in this specific scenario, my data plan has run out, and an update of the game has increased the amount of ads.

It's similar to the ad-blocking thing in websites.
Neogaf has a good policy on ads => I don't block them (and even went the extra mile to buy an ad-blocker for Safari that allowed me to whitelist it).
Digital newspaper sites that are impossible to navigate because of ads and trackers => blocked.
I guess it's impossible to find a formula to show an adequate amount of ads so that nobody complains, but if I find a situation is not right, I will search for a way to minimize the negative effects it has on me.

I guess my point was you called it a "really cool game", and if you are chewing through your data plan it seems you are playing it a lot, so it seems reasonable to purchase the Turn Off Ads IAP which is only a couple of bucks?

That solves your problem, and compensates the developer for a game you like and play.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I had the chance to participate in a live Twitch stream at E3 showcasing Teeny Titans (our 11th mobile game!): https://www.twitch.tv/twitch/v/72795862

My first time doing this sort of thing, and it was a blast. (Was nervous as hell leading up to it... but once the presentation started I was surprised how easy it was!)

Game is out next Thursday the 23rd! It's a beast and I think people are going to love it.

Voi is great. It's like rop's negative space cousin. The setup is the same: figure at the top of the screen, and you need to recreate it with the given elements. But instead of ropes and nodes, you have different shapes to combine tangram-style. Overlapping shapes cause the intersecting space to revert color, letting you mold new shapes and patterns through negative space. It's slick, and there are more puzzles in the works. Rop was supported nicely, with new modes and level packs added post-release, so I expect Voi to be expanded as well

I've been playing the Kingdom Hearts game since it just recently came out in the UK, and it's really good so far. Really satisfying but simple gameplay, with nice art & sound.

My impressions might change if it starts becoming money grabbing but so far it's great.

Yea this is from when they did sep games for both platforms. I think the universal trend started with IV. III also is separate on iPhone and iPad.

Kinda sucks because I think I bought FF:Tactics when it was on sale. I'm not about to shell out 15.99 for the iPad version lol. I guess I'll just have to settle with just having IX for right now.

Kinda sucks because I think I bought FF:Tactics when it was on sale. I'm not about to shell out 15.99 for the iPad version lol. I guess I'll just have to settle with just having IX for right now.

Meanwhile I only bought it on iPad when it was discounted a few years ago because I just got a new iPad and then discovered it wasn't universal lol. Get it on iPad during the next sale if you can. Plays great. Ill check if it runs on iOS 10 in a bit.

Pachimari

It damn well sucks. I had Tactics for iPhone before, then broke it on vacation, bought an iPad and finds out I have to pay for it AGAIN.

Discc13

Neo Member
Guys im between Lost Frontier and Titan Quest, I want the two but for now I can only buy one my iPhone is the 6+.

Wich one do you recommend me?

Guys im between Lost Frontier and Titan Quest, I want the two but for now I can only buy one my iPhone is the 6+.

Wich one do you recommend me?
I'd go with Lost Frontier, just better suited to play on iPhone. Playing Titan Quest on such a relatively cramped screen can't be ideal

I'd go with Lost Frontier, just better suited to play on iPhone. Playing Titan Quest on such a relatively cramped screen can't be ideal
Works fine on my 6+. My iPad mini is great and all but being able to just flip out my phone, finish a quick quest and go back to what I was doing works great in my opinion.

Hikami

Got my first iPhone today. Had an android before and it couldn't really run any games.
Have only downloaded Voez so far, loving it.

Got my first iPhone today. Had an android before and it couldn't really run any games.
Have only downloaded Voez so far, loving it.
Any particular genres you enjoy? As for good games that play well on iPhone, I'd recommend:

Sorcery series/80 Days
Device 6
A Dark Room
Hoplite
Rop/Hocus/Voi
Card Crawl
Leap Day
Perfect Paths
99 Bricks

Hikami

Wow, wasn't expecting to get recommendations already. I'll check them out, thanks guys.

Any particular genres you enjoy?
I can enjoy almost anything, pretty open to trying new stuff.
Only things I can think of that I dislike are gacha games and anything related to sports.

Welcome to the community Hikami! That list that More_Badass posted is a great starting point, you can't go wrong with any of them.

This week we got:
-Perchang
-Sandbox: Evolution
-Rodeo Stampede
-Super Steampuff

Looking like a pretty good week. Shame that July is looking kinda barren so far, hopefully some announcements soon change that.

awp69

Off topic but didn't you watch Penny Dreadful More_Badass? Think you actually got me watching it. Was curious what you thought of the series finale.

Pachimari

Off topic but didn't you watch Penny Dreadful More_Badass? Think you actually got me watching it. Was curious what you thought of the series finale.

Not to be a dick, but you can send private messages to people as well, don't know if you know. :)

Not to be a dick, but you can send private messages to people as well, don't know if you know. :)
Hey, now, we delve into other topics here too. The regulars in community threads tend to breach off into other unrelated discussions (i.e. see the Steam threads, Comics threads, etc.)

I saw the first season. Really need to catch up.

Pachimari

Hey, now, we delve into other topics here too. The regulars in community threads tend to breach off into other unrelated discussions (i.e. see Steam threads, Comics, etc.)

As I said, it was not to be a dick. It was a suggestion, if he didn't know, as it might have been easier having a discussion like that in a private space. I didn't tell him not to talk about it here.

Voidance

So how is Lost Frontier? Worth the purchase?
It's similar to Warbits/Advance Wars and a good bit of fun. My issue is the unstable difficulty curve -- even with a fully leveled hero, some of the earlier levels are very challenging to survive without replaying the mission a few times to get an idea for how the AI plays. I prefer Warbits, personally, but both are worth checking out.

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but what the hey. Does anyone know of any good apps that are similar to the games that were included in the Microsoft Entertainment Packs back in the day? Pipe dream, chips challenge etc. I've had mad cravings for those games recently but my novice browsing skills of the App store are only showing poor imitations.

awp69

Was reading through the Hero Seige "Pocket Edition" thread over on TA. What a load of crap.

I got the original game on Android and it was full of bugs but fun. But then they pulled the mobile versions even stating that they never really cared about them or bothered to fix them. Steam was their focus and that was it.

So now they re-release the game in what still sounds like a bug riddled mess that won't even run on an iPhone 6. And they have the balls to charge $10 for it, screwing over early adopters and still seeming to care less about the problems with the new version.

If their focus is Steam, so be it, but don't try to milk more money from a platform you don't give a shit about.

Voidance

Was reading through the Hero Seige "Pocket Edition" thread over on TA. What a load of crap.

I got the original game on Android and it was full of bugs but fun. But then they pulled the mobile versions even stating that they never really cared about them or bothered to fix them. Steam was their focus and that was it.

So now they re-release the game in what still sounds like a bug riddled mess that won't even run on an iPhone 6. And they have the balls to charge $10 for it, screwing over early adopters and still seeming to care less about the problems with the new version.

If their focus is Steam, so be it, but don't try to milk more money from a platform you don't give a shit about.
It's a shame, too, since the game looks fun.

Pachimari

Man reading my reply to you again, and I do come across as a dick. Just know that I don't have anything against your post or you as a poster, and it's cool you are sticking around. The least I can do is give you an apology, so I'm sorry. :)

awp69

Man reading my reply to you again, and I do come across as a dick. Just know that I don't have anything against your post or you as a poster, and it's cool you are sticking around. The least I can do is give you an apology, so I'm sorry. :)

No problem. Don't do much private messaging here --- sometimes I don't even realize I have a PM until days later since I mostly view the mobile site and you don't see a notification unless you click on the header.

Perchang is out in 2 days, new trailer released.

https://youtu.be/ydf9n4hDYoE

This does look awesome. Probably the only thing I'm looking forward to this week.

awp69

So Hero Seige already plummeted to $2.99. Still not supporting that dev.

On a more worthy note, Don't Starve is down to its lowest price ever -- $.99. Not a huge fan of survival games like it but think I'll finally at least give it a try.

So Hero Seige already plummeted to $2.99. Still not supporting that dev.

On a more worthy note, Don't Starve is down to its lowest price ever -- $.99. Not a huge fan of survival games like it but think I'll finally at least give it a try.
Nice catch, thanks for the heads-up

Are there any, like, monster breeding games? you guys ever played that one horse racing game in Dave and busters or something? Like that.

nampad

Anyone know if they are planning an online mode for Pixel Cup Soccer 16?
It's the thing stopping me from buying it right now.

Just bought Max Payne Mobile which is discounted to € 1.99 as well as Alto's Adventure (disctounted to € 0.99).
Surprised the former got a discount so soon because it was just discounted weeks ago. Now that it has MFI support I can finally play it.

Top Bottom