• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming May 2015 | May the Watch be with you

Chuckpebble

2 things:

Just started Skiing Yeti Mountain today and I love it. Right now, as the sun is coating everything in a warm orange glow outside, I noticed that the game is reaching dusk as well. Is the day night cycle mentioned in the settings real time? Nice if yes.

Second thing. Need to manage the fridge. I'm eyeing that 1.1GB that MHFU is taking up, but at the same time, I want to be able to come back to my multi hundred hour save file. Am I out of luck now that I'm on 8.3? I don't think this game uses iCloud saves.

awp69

Out of curiosity I re-downloaded the old Geometry Wars: Touch (still available via purchase history) because I had remembered the controls being off. And it actually is completely broken, which I guess I shouldn't be surprised by. The buttons on the main menu don't work so all you get to do is look at the menu screen.

Anyway, regardless, they killed it with the controls this time around. Even though I love it on my Xbox One, there's something that grabs me when it's sitting six inches from my face.

killercow

Out of curiosity I re-downloaded the old Geometry Wars: Touch (still available via purchase history) because I had remembered the controls being off. And it actually is completely broken, which I guess I shouldn't be surprised by. The buttons on the main menu don't work so all you get to do is look at the menu screen.

Anyway, regardless, they killed it with the controls this time around. Even though I love it on my Xbox One, there's something that grabs me when it's sitting six inches from my face.

Yeah it's been like that for a little while now. Even if it worked, the controls were worse in Touch and I can clearly remember that the bomb was way harder to hit. Geometry Wars 3's port is almost flawless.

Aaron D.

1. Skiing Yeti Mountain is INSANE. The controls and "carving snow" sound design are sogood.gif defined. I think I finally have a new iOS title to replace my Absolutely Every Idle Moment phone game, Crossey Road.

2. Purchased GeoWars 3 about .2 seconds after reading the TouchArcade review and watching a gameplay vid. Shocked by the low sticker price.

Q: Does anyone know if Geometry Wars has all the music tracks featured in the PC/console release?

NoPiece

I'm really liking Skiing Yeti Mountain - perfect for playing in 2 minute increments. I love how the story (very unobtrusive BTW), and characters match the 80's retro visuals.

Anyone know how many levels? I've played through the first 20 and want to make sure I save plenty for a long plane flight I have next week.

Oynox

Oh thats great. I am around 300 in, more to come. Good to know. It's an excellent little game, the best I played since some weeks.

Yeah, the description says it does. Which there was a way to search for Metal games, Apple's list is out of date.

This so much. I haven't been able to keep track at all since November, the biggest release I can think of which supports it (that isn't this) is Disney Infinity 2.0 -- looked seriously impressive.

Wish someone would do a comparison between the iOS and Vita versions, it would show us how big a difference there is between PowerVR Series 5 graphics (Vita, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5) and series 6 (iPhone 5s, iPhone 6).

Don't stop at that. You'd be pretty foolish to pass on this game just because of that.

This. It still has Game Center support for achievements (though I personally don't bother with those), and we can always compare high scores here. It's a really great port.

---

Could someone try this on A6 hardware, like an iPad 4 or iPhone 5/5c? A friend wants to know whether it'd be worth getting on his iPhone 5c, is it still 60fps? I'm guessing the visuals won't be as fancy? Thanks in advance!

Li Kao

Just got back into iOS gaming after a period of "ughh, shit, shit everywhere" and all in all I'm quite pleased by the experience.

Marvel Future Fight
As expected, unfortunately. While the gameplay is limited and the levels far too short, it was cool at first. Then the player hit a brick wall and an hour of play net you some fucking little percents of a level bar. The desire to play wears out by the day.

Injustice - Gods Among Us
Didn't understand the appeal. I mean Shaun Musgrave had pretty cool things to say about it but I clearly didn't play the same game. Awful combat, barebone card management, not really good looking (but the game is several years old now), why should I play that ? I tried, I really tried, but I can't get it.

Crossy Road
Vain. I can see the appeal for the gamer on the go and the casual market, but after a few little hours, I can't be arsed to play more than a game or two. I can't say it's bad, it's quite good at what it tries to do.

Skiing Yeti Mountain
Good god, I really found the previews pics hideous and wouldn't have approached it if not for iOS Gaf buzz, but I'm glad I did. Stellar. Impressive how nailed down controls and sounds make the game. Really really pleased by what I played.
Unfortunately, I don't know if it's just me but after a few hours with it I found that the controls just obliterated my thumb muscles. Didn't play it again :-/
Maybe it's the fact that I play on an ipad...

Space Marshall
Another great game. Didn't go too far because I lost my save in an ipad restore, but the game is solid as fuck.

Jenny LeClue - Playable Teaser
Err, no thanks ? I was sold on the art style and premise but the playable teaser was more of a pain than anything. Plot-wise I didn't understand a thing, gameplay is nearly fully reliant on click on anything (not the end of the world, we are in a pnc after all), and the dev conception of a riddle is to throw a ton of stuff to click on until you clicked on everything of note.
Redeeming note is the strange mix of childlike art and pretty dark themes, but if this is a taste of what is to come, you can certainly keep it.

Vainglory
Jaw drop. I'm clearly not a moba player but the game could change that. It's gorgeous even on an older ipad, and the changes and simplifications it makes to the formula are perfect for touch gaming. I played battles after battles with pleasure.

As you can see I still have a lot of problems with what I tried, but when mobile games hit it, they do it really well.

Are there any good city builders a la Sim City that aren't crammed full of IAPs? I want a pay once city builder.
https://appsto.re/us/5rFfY.i

And these are in development for mobile

.Age
hsr8Zbg.gif

Prison Architect
7VESpyM.jpg

Li Kao

Mmh, does anybody here have experience with game streaming ? I'm tempted to try playing PC games on iOS (Visual Novels for starters) and don't know if a good solution is available.
There is Splashtop, Kino Console and even a beta for Moonlight. What do you think about the whole thing ?

killercow

Mmh, does anybody here have experience with game streaming ? I'm tempted to try playing PC games on iOS (Visual Novels for starters) and don't know if a good solution is available.
There is Splashtop, Kino Console and even a beta for Moonlight. What do you think about the whole thing ?

If you have AC wifi, moonlight is very neat. The experience with other apps like splashtop was subpar though.

NoPiece

Awesome, thanks! I'm finding it so tempting to go back and play one more level that I just deleted it off my phone. I'll reinstall the day of my flight.

Are there any good city builders a la Sim City that aren't crammed full of IAPs? I want a pay once city builder.

If you are willing to go with a really simplified city builder, the Kairosoft games are really good, and no IAP*. I really like Oh! Edo Towns and Epic Astro Story. Depends on what theme you want for your town, they also have Venture Towns, Dungeon Village, Ninja VIllage.

Kairosoft just released a new one last week called Biz Builder Delux. Bad name, but looks like a "main street" builder focused on shops and businesses and hiring staff. Anyone tried it?

*they have done two games with IAP Beastie Bay and Dream House Days, but the town builder and story games have all been clean.

awp69

Speaking of off-topic games, I've been playing and blown away by The Talos Principle. Playing on my Shield Tablet, but it's also on PC and coming to PS4.

Really awesome first person puzzle game with a philosophical twist. WAY bigger and better than I had expected it to be.

Maybe it'll come to iOS someday, but guessing Nvidia has at least a timed exclusivity period.

Talos, Geometry Wars, Crowntakers and Ire have been in my main gaming rotation of late...well, and Witcher 3, but kind of waiting on a patch to make things a little smoother on the PS4.

Speaking of off-topic games, I've been playing and blown away by The Talos Principle. Playing on my Shield Tablet, but it's also on PC and coming to PS4.

Really awesome first person puzzle game with a philosophical twist. WAY bigger and better than I had expected it to be.

Maybe it'll come to iOS someday, but guessing Nvidia has at least a timed exclusivity period.

Talos, Geometry Wars, Crowntakers and Ire have been in my main gaming rotation of late...well, and Witcher 3, but kind of waiting on a patch to make things a little smoother on the PS4.
Waiting for the Summer Sale to pick up Talos on PC. You think it could work on iPad?

awp69

Waiting for the Summer Sale to pick up Talos on PC. You think it could work on iPad?

It works on a Shield Tablet so touch control wise it would. I'm playing it with a controller but the touch controls work well.

It may need an iPad Air 2 to play well framerate wise though. But maybe with the Metal API it could work on our iPad Minis or other iPads. Again, not sure if it will come to iOS due to contractual obligations with Nvidia but who knows.

Best first person puzzler since the Portal games IMO.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Bought Geometry Wars 3 off the positive impressions in this thread -- what a port! It's been a while since I've played a port on my iOS device that's this polished, that's this slick.

Like others have said, it's a shame they went for Facebook leaderboards instead of Game Center ones.

It seems this game uses the Metal API, which probably explains why it looks and runs so well on my almost two-year-old iPhone 5s.

Its a tricky one for developers sometimes. If you want leaderboards to be cross platform, Game Center doesn't cut it unless you are doing a lot of fancy behind the scenes stuff to try and maintain two leaderboards (doing a shadow achievements system with Game Center is a lot easier so less excuses to not do that).

We used to have it so on our custom leaderboard solution you could also see your Game Center friends as well as Facebook. Then Apple nixed that. Against the rules :(

But at least for our custom leaderboard solution we generally don't require you to use Facebook.

Benedict

Another game cleared for the 52 games in 2015 challenge.

As others have stated here, Legend of Grimrock is a great game on iOS.
No regret paying full price for this game.

I've had the game for years on PC but never took the time to play it.
Glad I waited for this version as it is truly a joy to play on a tablet.

Want more of these games on tablets.

Hey, what do you guys think of "The future is now" for the June thread title?
Since the WWDC press release teases the announcement of “the future of iOS and OS X”
The other title suggestion was "The epicenter of iOS gaming

---

Also the devs of This War of Mine are working on the iOS trailer, so expect that to be releasing soon

awp69

Hey, what do you guys think of "The future is now" for the June thread title?
Since the WWDC press release teases the announcement of “the future of iOS and OS X”
The other title suggestion was "The epicenter of iOS gaming

---

Also the devs of This War of Mine are working on the iOS trailer, so expect that to be releasing soon

I like the "future is now" title. Thanks, as usual, for doing the OP.

Top Bottom