• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming May 2015 | May the Watch be with you

awp69

Well definitely have to pass on this week's iOS goodies. Getting The Talos Principle for my Shield Tablet. $20 to unlock the full game, which is still a good deal (half the price of the PC version). I've been waiting for it to release since the day I got the tablet.

So wishlist will grow on iOS for now.

Benedict

Somebody know why my iPhone 5 keeps crashing?
I think it only happens when I am at home, connected to wifi.

Third of fourth chrash today.

KingKong

beat Sword of Xolan, fun little game. got a little too easy once I unlocked the 'enemies drop extra health' card though

Brakke

Banned
Been playing this Treads! game lately. Cute little game, got a kind of Jetpack Joyride feel with endless runs with 3 missions you can work on at once. Definitely nothing revolutionary here, but a solid toy.

awp69

Something to do with Devolver games released on Android?

I doubt it as most of those, particularly The Talos Principle, are supposed to be Shield Tablet and/or Shield Console exclusives. Maybe down the line but seriously don't see Nvidia allowing those to go to iOS at the same time as their console launch.

killercow

Holy cow that Geometry Wars port is amazing. 60fps all the time, looks absolutely gorgeous (I have it on PC running and ultra and I can't tell the difference), full of content with a bite-sized structure that makes sense for mobile and a small filesize. Control support is perfect too.
All that at that price? It's more than a steal, it's a fricking must buy.
The only thing that bothers me: Facebook. Urgh...

Edit: And they want to bring the Evolved DLC to iOS! Incredible.

awp69

Trying to resist Geometry Wars 3 (in addition to Desktop Dungeons, Sproggiwood, etc.... What a week!). I still can play the X1 version but sure would love it on the go.

But how did I not hear that PewPew 2 got a big update just last month? Updated graphics and gameplay?

Re-downloading now.

Edit: Who am I kidding, my long romance with Geometry Wars going back to the original on Project Gotham Racing got the best of me...Snagged GW 3 and, yeah, it is freaking awesome. As much as I love radiangames DSS games, the beauty of this baby totally blows my mind. I love the campaign (which I am still struggling to finish on X1) and those brilliantly designed 3-D playing fields just look stunning on an iPad Mini 2.

pdk27

Geometry Wars 3 on the iPad Air with a controller might just be one of the best things I've ever played on iOS. Wow, I am impressed

So I guess Pitta's going to leave us in suspense :p

Anyway, decided to pick up GW3 as well. Actually I wasn't going to, but then I remembered it's my b-day next week so I'll be able to stock up on iTunes credit for Door Kickers and This War of Mine. Game is incredibly solid, super tight controls, awesome 3D arenas. It's so cool to have new arena shapes to look forward to compared to the generic screen-sized arenas of some other dual stick shooters.

Shaneus

Geometry Wars 3 on iOS is pretty damn amazing. Somehow the controls still don't feel as good as Geometry Wars Touched (I think that's what the other one was called) but I'm getting used to it. I think if I can find a semi-decent twin-stick controller that is portable then I'll be in heaven. How in the hell did they fit it all in under 100MB?!?

Shame that the original GW got borked somewhere in the last few iOS releases, though. Still prefer that aesthetic and of course it's soundtrack.

awp69

Geometry Wars 3 on iOS is pretty damn amazing. Somehow the controls still don't feel as good as Geometry Wars Touched (I think that's what the other one was called) but I'm getting used to it. I think if I can find a semi-decent twin-stick controller that is portable then I'll be in heaven. How in the hell did they fit it all in under 100MB?!?

Shame that the original GW got borked somewhere in the last few iOS releases, though. Still prefer that aesthetic and of course it's soundtrack.

Really? I actually remember the controls on GW: Touch not being so hot in comparison to other mobile dual stick shooters. I actually stopped playing it and moved on to things like Infinity Field and the Radiangames efforts. I was actually worried about the controls on this game but knew that Touch was quite a while ago and figured they would probably have improved them.

Are you playing with the auto fire on? That really sucks the life out of it.

No auto fire and floating sticks. Feels pretty good to me.

Shaneus

Really? I actually remember the controls on GW: Touch not being so hot in comparison to other mobile dual stick shooters. I actually stopped playing it and moved on to things like Infinity Field and the Radiangames efforts. I was actually worried about the controls on this game but knew that Touch was quite a while ago and figured they would probably have improved them.

Are you playing with the auto fire on? That really sucks the life out of it.

No auto fire and floating sticks. Feels pretty good to me.
Auto fire off and fixed sticks. Floating sticks felt a little weird and I would often find if I put my thumb near the edge of the screen, the joystick would center there and I couldn't move left or shoot right, depending on what was happening. Fixed is best by far, but an option to change the size/location of the joysticks would be a godsend.

Of course, I've also started looking into MFi controllers (and Controllers For All-compatible ones) so I don't have to worry about it at all. We'll see how that goes.

But yeah, with whatever setting I had on the original iOS one, I remember it feeling fine. But that was a LONG time ago.

Emarv

What are some of the best sites you guys follow for reviews and coverage? Touch Arcade and Pocket Tactics are the main two I go with.

PittaGAF

So I guess Pitta's going to leave us in suspense :p

Eh sorry, I'm waiting for it too.
And it's nothing under my control (no, I'm not testing anything or something like that....well...I'm actually testing Galactic Keep but I already spent my GLORIOUS preview quota on that long ago).

Finger crossed for today.

PittaGAF

What are some of the best sites you guys follow for reviews and coverage? Touch Arcade and Pocket Tactics are the main two I go with.

I read PocketGamer too, even if some of their recent reviews has been a bit on the short side.

Something I love is reading about specific mobile games on other major websites (like rockpapershotgun etc...) but it's a rare thing and only for some.

I read PocketGamer too, even if some of their recent reviews has been a bit on the short side.

Something I love is reading about specific mobile games on other major websites (like rockpapershotgun etc...) but it's a rare thing and only for some.
I prefer Pocket Gamer because they cover a lot of indie games compared to TA and other mobile-focused sites

Always Sometimes Monsters is out on iOS : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id968827222?mt=8
Oh snap. That is unexpected. Always Sometines Monsters was really cool. An easy recommendation for $2

grmlin

Lol, I just realized I can move my finger across the screen in Grim Fandango to highlight interactables ... good to know :D

Awesome port btw. I love it!

heringer

Their reviews are a joke now. They were never good to begin with, but now a lot of them are like two paragraphs that don't tell anything about the game. It's almost like they play the game for 15 minutes and write a review about.

PittaGAF

Their reviews are a joke now. They were never good to begin with, but now a lot of them are like two paragraphs that don't tell anything about the game. It's almost like they play the game for 15 minutes and write a review about.

Sadly it's true for most games now (some get the full treatment tough), not sure why.
But they often tell cool news before others, especially about indies or ports so they are worth checking every now and then.

Have you guys heard of the game Subject 13? It's an adventure game from the lead designer of Flashback and it's coming to IOS/Android eventually. Recently released on PC. Cool thing is that the puzzles look very Room-esque - manipulating 3D objects - so that should be really fun to play on IOS
http://www.subject13.microids.com/EN/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdDdt2pLZIA
6adda6a511c65d01c14325a86fd759df_large.gif

ShowDog

Do you guys think it's worth buying Final Fantasy VI for full price? Does it go on sale often? I've heard it has a pretty good story but I'm not sure if it's worth buying on iOS or just emulating somewhere else.

Are there any compatibility issues with it on newer version of iOS, like TWEWY?

Unless you plan on playing immediately (no backlog) I wouldn't buy anything from SE because their shit has a tendency to break during iOS updates, they don't always fix them and iOS9 is right around the corner.

Unless you plan on playing immediately (no backlog) I wouldn't buy anything from SE because their shit has a tendency to break during iOS updates, they don't always fix them and iOS9 is right around the corner.
Just did some reading on what to expect. Man, force touch and split-screen support for iPhones and iPads could open the door for even more unique control schemes and mechanics for games. That's exciting.

Just did some reading on what to expect. Man, force touch and split-screen support for iPhones and iPads could open the door for even more unique control schemes and mechanics for games. That's exciting.

Also anyone have other suggestions for the June thread title?

Right now we have "iOS Gaming June 2015 | The epicenter of iOS gaming"

tariniel

Yeah that's what I was most worried about. I know they broke TWEWY and I don't want that to happen to FFVI also. I think I'll just be patient for now, and if it's not broken on iOS9 and goes on sale, I'll pick it up then.

Thanks to everyone who offered their opinions.

Bought Geometry Wars 3 off the positive impressions in this thread -- what a port! It's been a while since I've played a port on my iOS device that's this polished, that's this slick.

Like others have said, it's a shame they went for Facebook leaderboards instead of Game Center ones.

It seems this game uses the Metal API, which probably explains why it looks and runs so well on my almost two-year-old iPhone 5s.

datamage

Bought Geometry Wars 3 off the positive impressions in this thread -- what a port! It's been a while since I've played a port on my iOS device that's this polished, that's this slick.

Like others have said, it's a shame they went for Facebook leaderboards instead of Game Center ones.

It seems this game uses the Metal API, which probably explains why it looks and runs so well on my almost two-year-old iPhone 5s.

Well, that's one way to convince me not to purchase your game.

chris121580

Geometry Wars 3 is so good. Thanks to everyone for the recommendation. I'm shocked how well the touch controls work for this game where good controls are vital

Top Bottom