• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming May 2015 | May the Watch be with you

Futureman

Does anyone know the game Bread Puppies?

it's kinda dumb, but my GF downloaded it last night and we were playing it together.

basically I'm wondering if I can get some examples of similar games that are better. It's basically like a very linear Pokemon I guess... turn based fighting, leveling up, collecting dogs that you beat in battle, etc.

I have an idea in my head that I want to make a similar game but I want to study the actual good games in this category first...

Timotheus

Sword of Xolan is an awesome retro platformer! Nice graphics, good gameplay and great controls. The price of 99 cent is a blast, especially because there are no IAPs!

Li Kao

Hey guys, when would you say a new ipad is coming ? I'm on an Ipad 4 and the thing is beginning to struggle in the more graphically intensive games. Not the end of the world, but if a refresh comes I could be tempted to buy a new model with larger storage than 32gb, new games are quite hungry for space these days.

Picked up Sword of Xolan today ($0.99 - how can you go wrong) and its really fun. Tongue in cheek dialogue, good music, and really great controls. Being a slightly older gamer I really enjoy the old school pixelated graphics and Zelda style smash the barrels to collect coins too.

awp69

Highly recommend Crowntakers. Really cool turn-based rogue like with RPG elements and great production values.

mr_toa

Picked up Sword of Xolan today ($0.99 - how can you go wrong) and its really fun. Tongue in cheek dialogue, good music, and really great controls. Being a slightly older gamer I really enjoy the old school pixelated graphics and Zelda style smash the barrels to collect coins too.

Grabbed it this morning too - very good action platformer! Any decent gamer will probably plow through the 30 levels quite fast, but at $0.99 it's still a steal.

okno

Sword of Xolan... Yeap, it's good. Not the most original game ever, not the most challenge, the music is bad and the sound effects grating, but is it a fantastic homage to classic side-scrolling adventure games? You bet, and I can't put it down.

Just make sure to mute the sound.

awp69

Holy crap! I hadn't re-downloaded Crazy Hedgy since it got updated with Metal. An already good looking game (especially for how long it's been out) is now georgeous. Moving blades of grass, enhanced lighting/particle effects, characters all re-done. Fantastic stuff.

I guess it's freemium now but nice to see that somehow the devs recognized that I had purchased the original and immediately I was an ad-free "premium" user.

FerranMG

Capitals, by NimbleBit, is out and is pretty cool.

Skiing Yeti Mountain is also pretty sweet. Would have never tried it were not for the previous posts, so thanks for the recommendation.
I think they nailed the movement of the character, the way it slides over the snow.

awp69

Traps n Gemstones is on sale for $.99. If you don't have it, you should. Highly recommended Metrovania-like adventure platformer.

GWX

Can anyone in the USA PM me a code for NBA JAM from here? It seems Brazil is still not in the list of countries =( Thanks in advance!

edit: Thanks RustyO!

RM8

Sword of Xolan is great, I'm loving my time with it. It could have been more than that, though, it feels a bit repetitive and it has the worst thing you can do to me as a fan of pixel art - Flash-game-like rotating sprites :[ It's limited to the Boulder-throwing enemies so far, thankfully, but I hate it so much when a game has good, uniform, cohesive pixel art only to have things like that. I can live with other "out of character" effects like a bit of bloom or somewhat liberal use of color, but not rotating sprites, ew. Still, it doesn't make the game not great and I realize not everyone has such an strong opinion about it. The controls are spot on, it has lots of content and it's a $1 USD "premium" game! One of the best iOS releases in a while. More like this and Goblin Sword, please.

Some really scummy stuff going down with Bulkypix. Related to a PC game they published, but since they have a big presence on mobile, thought it was worth sharing here too
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1052028

Basically, Bulkypix had published the PC indie Standpoint and...
Oh my god.... We didn't authorise this! We weren't informed of this... This is my worst nightmare... We've been having a legal disagreement with our publisher and were petrified they would do something like this. We've seen no money from the game since release (as in they haven't paid us our cut) and now they're putting it in a bundle when we complained... This is the worst thing to wake up to

Nub's Adventure is releasing this week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpQLhmp1oCg
$4.99, a metroidvania-esque platformer
MeanMeagerAmericanriverotter.gif

RedSwirl

There really needs to be some separate distinction in development for 6 Plus games. There are more and more iPad games I feel could be adjusted slightly to work on the 6 Plus.

awp69

Another port to add to mobile's library:
Geometry Wars 3 is releasing on iPad this week

If it's a good port (Geometry Wars: Touch was NOT a good port, but that was ions ago), I may have to double dip. I guess they're saying it won't have multiplayer or the evolved stuff initially, but I just want to make sure the controls are nailed perfectly. A hard as nails arcade DSS needs spot on controls.

Love it on Xbox One and sure would be nice to take on the go. And $5? Insane (if the port is done well).

Shadowmatic was pretty much one of just a few games from this year I was looking forward to getting, but... barely a few levels in it seems to be turning out to be just what I was worried it would be. Knowing exactly what the shadow is supposed to be, and struggling to make it register correctly.

And orientation matters, even when it's totally arbitrary. Who is supposed to be the judge of which way these objects are supposed to be facing? Even the tutorial solution looks as correct facing left as it does facing right!

I don't want to gripe too much - I wanted to like this game - but the design seems fundamentally wrong to begin with.

awp69

Desktop Dungeons and Sproggiwood look good but I've been getting so many roguelikes lately that I think I need to hold off and play more of what I have before diving into others.

SuperPac

Hey, there's an update to Castle Doombad (both the premium and free versions).

• Brand-New Chapter! "Space Madness" - 15 levels set in Lord Evilstein's fully operational moon base
• FOUR new traps to thwart heroes with!
• Daily Bonuses are now available in the Challenge-O-Rama. Each day complete a new, fiendishly difficult challenge set out for you. Reap Doom Shekel and Evilness rewards and stake your place on the new Challenge-O-Rama leaderboard.
• New icon to reflect additional awesomeness

Paid version - https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-store/id622788881?pt=11058&ct=neogaftest1&mt=8
Free version - https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-store/id881941481?pt=11058&ct=neogaftest1&mt=8

tariniel

Do you guys think it's worth buying Final Fantasy VI for full price? Does it go on sale often? I've heard it has a pretty good story but I'm not sure if it's worth buying on iOS or just emulating somewhere else.

Are there any compatibility issues with it on newer version of iOS, like TWEWY?

awp69

Do you guys think it's worth buying Final Fantasy VI for full price? Does it go on sale often? I've heard it has a pretty good story but I'm not sure if it's worth buying on iOS or just emulating somewhere else.

Are there any compatibility issues with it on newer version of iOS, like TWEWY?

Square-Enix runs sales fairly often for about half the price so just a matter of how much patience you have. I'm not sure compatibility issues. They pulled TWEWY off the store completely, which sucks, and hope they update it soon and bring it back.

Problem is that when they bring the games back they often allow just iPad or just iPhone users to upgrade to the new universal version while the other device has to pay full price and buy it again. I actually complained about this with Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light when it went universal and iPhone users got screwed. S-E, thankfully, did actually send me a code for the new version.

Sorry...probably more than you wanted to know...

sarcastor

Hey, there's an update to Castle Doombad (both the premium and free versions).

• Brand-New Chapter! "Space Madness" - 15 levels set in Lord Evilstein's fully operational moon base
• FOUR new traps to thwart heroes with!
• Daily Bonuses are now available in the Challenge-O-Rama. Each day complete a new, fiendishly difficult challenge set out for you. Reap Doom Shekel and Evilness rewards and stake your place on the new Challenge-O-Rama leaderboard.
• New icon to reflect additional

I just updated and lost all my upgrades and most of my crowns. I emailed them and they have asked for more info :(

Foursaken just released a huge update for Block Fortess
• added a new player vs. player arena mode! Build or download a custom map and compete in epic battles with up to four players using GameCenter!
• added tons of new equipment, including a shrink ray, antigravity gun, jet pack, cloaking device, and more!
• get around your base faster with new zip line blocks!
• expand your view of the battlefield with a new third-person camera
• all character and enemy models look even better now
• added jumping and crouching
• new and improved clouds, sun, moon, and sky graphics
• new plant blocks added to terrain
• you can now enable floating blocks in sandbox mode
• you can now reload a map when placing your barracks to regenerate the terrain
• made it easier to paint blocks the same color as a previously painted block
• you can now rate loaded maps at the end of a multiplayer games
• enabled iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+ full screen resolution
gzuj7gq.jpg

awp69

So sounds like the App Store has been having issues with new releases in countries wher they've hit so far. Guess we'll see an an hour whether the problem continues in the US. People are reporting "no longer available" messages when attempting to buy.

Despite my earlier post, I'm salivating over Desktop Dungeons. I have to resist!

Hugstable

Banned
So I haven't owned an apple product since around 2013, and finally got myself an Iphone 6+. I was wondering what good games have come out since then? Trying to get some new stuff for my phone here and there. Trying out FF: Record Keepers, Threes and Monument Valley. Got SMT1 also, but some of the music is like popping and it hurts my ears to listen too. It's weird since it's only a few songs that have the issue, don't know if it's like this for everyone or what. But yeah I was just wondering if there are any cool games or hidden gems I missed out on.

So I haven't owned an apple product since around 2013, and finally got myself an Iphone 6+. I was wondering what good games have come out since then? Trying to get some new stuff for my phone here and there. Trying out FF: Record Keepers, Threes and Monument Valley. Got SMT1 also, but some of the music is like popping and it hurts my ears to listen too. It's weird since it's only a few songs that have the issue, don't know if it's like this for everyone or what. But yeah I was just wondering if there are any cool games or hidden gems I missed out on.
Too many to count :p

Check out this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921676

And the thread OPs for last year and this year

Top Bottom