• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread February 2013: Where some have halitosis so packs of gum matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKayle

For anyone looking for a roguelike to play after that Dungelot update, Cardinal Quest just went free.

qqdVec03rShw7kRXGEdWig-temp-upload.iqijuvak.320x480-75.jpg

Wow. I looked at this not two days ago for $2.99 and passed on it. Actually tried the Windows demo of Cardinal Quest 2 to see what it was about instead and I got HOOKED. What a pleasant surprise to see the itunes version free today!

Heel

Thanks for the tip. Love the style, but the controls were annoying. Really hope they would update with a dpad and/or swiping. Will keep playing though.

Controls were fine to me. Fun while it lasted. Beat it pretty quickly by
kiting with the wizard + going invisible / sleeping enemy.

chris121580

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I played Real Racing 3 on my 5th gen iPod Touch. Almost cut my thumb on the jaggies. Runs at about 20fps too. Brilliant.

GWX

Real Racing 3. It looks good on the 4th gen iPad, but I wish it ran at 60fps, had AA and had less pop-in. Well, at least it looks and runs better than Most Wanted: that game had terrible pop-in and poor framerate.

It plays really well too. I use tilt to steer, manual acceleration, no break assistance and no driving assistance, and it's fun and challenging. I wish the iPad had buttons so I could shift gears in some way, though (although it's fun enough in with automatic transmission)!

The F2P model, though, SUCKS. I'm currently waiting 30 minutes for a tires revision, and looking at Wario64's waiting time for repairing and revisions, it will only get worse. I don't have enough money to buy another car yet, so I'm stuck with... waiting! I wish there was an IAP that disabled cooldowns. In that case, I'd pay up to 10 bucks, but in the current situation, I'm not spending a single buck in this. For shame, EA/Firemonkey.

PFD

If you're looking for an atmospheric puzzle game like The Room, check out Help Volty. No menus, no tutorials, you're thrown straight into the game world and left to discover stuff on your own. It's 2D, with nice art and soundtrack. Well worth the $0.99 asking price from what I've played so far.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Is Real Racing 3 actually out in Canada?

No, but rumour is it will at midnight. (anything between 20mins and 3h20mins from now, depending on what time zone)

At least that's what was posted here...

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
RR3 is the real deal. I have 3 cars and 32 / 961 events completed and haven't put in a cent.

It's going to be very divisive though. I had an hour bus ride today and fucked up and crashed badly. Couldn't play the entire ride (without paying) because of the repair time. It's hard not to worry about the future of games (and feel a little silly about RR3) in a scenario like that.

Pachimari

Heads up:

Infinity Blade will be free for the first time ever later tonight (or already is depending on your region)

Asphalt 7 Heat will be free too.

Oh wow, I haven't tried any of the Infinity Blade games yet - already grabbed it, it's downloading now. =)

SteveWD40

Trailer / First gameplay for Ultima Forever, due out Spring:

Here

It actually looks pretty good, it's supposed to be f2p and it's EA so I am not holding out a mass of hope but still, it looks pretty.

Shaneus

I played Real Racing 3 on my 5th gen iPod Touch. Almost cut my thumb on the jaggies. Runs at about 20fps too. Brilliant.
This. I have a 4S and it ran sub-15fps (at best) and couldn't find an option to turn the detail down at all. I managed to have a poke around (jailbroken) and found some files that *might* let me use the 4 assets/config (fewer effects, I'd assume) on the 4S and buy me some performance.

Also found some config files that referred (by their filename) to Android... so yay?

But yeah, it may look nice and I'm sure it'd play nice if it had a decent framerate... but the framerate is balls. Moreso when you are tailing other cars and it slows down further.

Edit: Well, as it turns out... I'm a genius of some kind.

1) Navigate to the game folder via iFunBox or whatever (I used iFile, but I'm jailbroken... so I don't know if iFunBox will let you into the appropriate area if you aren't)
2) Browse through to ROW_Distribution_v1.0.1_H49.app\res\eds
3) Note the plist files. Each corresponds to an iDevice model. The 4S is commonly identified as iPhone4.,1, and it's safe to assume (I didn't look it up) that the 4 is the iPhone3,3. There are config files conforming to this, so I just renamed the 4.1 (4S file) file, made a duplicate of the iPhone3,3.plist (4) file and renamed it to iPhone4,1.plist.
Normally you can edit .plist files and sometimes tinker with individual settings, but not in this case. But thankfully it doesn't crack the sads after renaming around a bit and it now seems to run as smooth as it'll ever get... there's zero slowdown and it seems to run at a locked 30fps. And from what I can recall pre-tinker, it doesn't look all that different. In the least, it doesn't look ugly.

I can't vouch for doing this other ways where there's a difference in the screen resolution (ie. 5 to 4S, 4 to 3GS, iPad 3 to 2) so try at your own risk, but I don't think there's any really bad stuff that can come from it. Worst case, just redownload the game (though renaming the files back should do the trick).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Look at my cooldown times, lol. To be fair, I have another car in my garage

e87DTfz.png
How much of this did TA play, they said they banged up their car as much as they could just to see how long repairs could take and it took 20 minutes...

RR3 is the real deal. I have 3 cars and 32 / 961 events completed and haven't put in a cent.

It's going to be very divisive though. I had an hour bus ride today and fucked up and crashed badly. Couldn't play the entire ride (without paying) because of the repair time. It's hard not to worry about the future of games (and feel a little silly about RR3) in a scenario like that.

All I'm hearing is poor frame rates and way too much waiting, doesn't sound like a real anything.

Was there actually anything good out last night?

Hackycat, Relic Rush and Puzzle Restorer all look good

SteveWD40

I've already deleted it

I smashed up my iPad just to be sure.

This is one of the worst money grabs I have seen, for it to be such a "quality" title is worrying. Is this where iOS is heading? does it actually make any money??

I get f2p, when done right it's fine (cosmetic stuff, things that you can unlock in game or just buy) but timers that you need to literally "pay to play"? People would have to be certifiable to pay for this shit, you might as well install an ATM on my chest.

wrowa

How much of this did TA play, they said they banged up their car as much as they could just to see how long repairs could take and it took 20 minutes...

These "waiting games" always try to lure you in with low waiting times in the beginning ("Oh, it's just 2 minutes, that's not so bad!") and then keep you waiting for several hours when you've played the game for a while. The idea is to get you emotionally invested first, so that you are more likely to pay later.

It's easily the most detestable F2P scheme of all imo.

Surfheart

I smashed up my iPad just to be sure.

This is one of the worst money grabs I have seen, for it to be such a "quality" title is worrying. Is this where iOS is heading? does it actually make any money??

I get f2p, when done right it's fine (cosmetic stuff, things that you can unlock in game or just buy) but timers that you need to literally "pay to play"? People would have to be certifiable to pay for this shit, you might as well install an ATM on my chest.

It's insane and Eli over at TA is defending it to the hilt bitching about how he's disappointed with the TA community for being critical of it.

Shaneus

These "waiting games" always try to lure you in with low waiting times in the beginning ("Oh, it's just 2 minutes, that's not so bad!") and then keep you waiting for several hours when you've played the game for a while. The idea is to get you emotionally invested first, so that you are more likely to pay later.

It's easily the most detestable F2P scheme of all imo.
I wonder if they ever contemplate their public ever thinking "10 minutes... that's enough time to play some other game where I don't have to wait for shit to unlock!".

I'm almost feeling a bit for FireMoney* right now. Have to wonder whether this is the direction they would've taken had they not gone with EA.

PS. Love that the first song you hear is a song that was also a big track in Forza Horizon a few months ago. Except that had the excuse of being set at a dance music festival and never called itself "Real Racing".

My jealousy at everyone else getting to play RR3 is rapidly diminishing.

Haaaaahahahahahhahahahahahaha!
Oh shut up and go play some more Power of Coin.
My secret shame :(

*Edit: Shit, I only just noticed this typo right now, but I'm not fixing it. It's eerily appropriate.

Pachimari

I'm thinking of a concept of making an iOS Games website in a year (I just have to do my education first) were gaffers are uploading their texts as the websites articles.

Anyway, I have started gaming on my iPhone t instead of iPad mini again but I'll probably get back to the mini again. I just like to change it up a bit sometimes. :)

I'm thinking of a concept of making an iOS Games website in a year (I just have to do my education first) were gaffers are uploading their texts as the websites articles.

Anyway, I have started gaming on my iPhone t instead of iPad mini again but I'll probably get back to the mini again. I just like to change it up a bit sometimes. :)

A twitter style iOS app review website would work really well IMO, if you could throw out a mini review quickly so it's not taking up effort or time from your mobile.

Depends how close you are to finishing the floor and how well off your character is at that point. If you're doing good and there's only a little bit left than go for it, but if you're on a floor that has shitty monsters (lots of health, lots of damage, the ones that blow up) and you find the key early, just keep going down.

You need to try and clear every floor, because if you do not clear the floor, it drops your mood, and then you start missing your swings.

However, I am seriously never finding +1 swords, its getting ridiculous.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
RR3 works ok as a game that you play a little bit every once in a while during a day, like Pixel People. Which, feels strange in terms of it being a full-fledged racing game.

Understandably not what people expect from this sort of game. I'm not sure I'm liking it or disliking it at this point (haven't tried any MP stuff yet as I've been without a connection. For me this on-off gameplay works so far as I can slot it into my daily schedule.

My final judgement is out until the game is out properly and I can 'spend' the equivalent of $$$ on IAPs that I would've on a premium purchase and can then evaulate if it's total bullshit or if what they have on offer has any resemblence of the amount of game one could get out of it the conventional way.

The service stuff would be much better if it was slower, if you do multi lap races your oil will be bad in 2 full races and in more expensive cars it can take half an hour to sort out, at least the engine wear is much slower but that takes like half a day to sort, something I would set before sleeping.

Repair times are ok and you can avoid most of that by driving well, the AI will crash into you which sucks worse then forza 4 AI but this is a mobile game after all, would be nice if they did use their breaks instead of using you as a wall however.

If Firemonkeys can adjust service wear down times to something nicer it would really help, I have 4 cars right now and feel fed up already.

Man, I skipped RR2 a bunch of times for .99 because I was waiting for this.

LOL

Only problem with RR2 is when you lost traction on a corner you would go sliding off like you were on ice, but that was it's only flaw.

New jukebeat music pack today:

◆Bananarama pack◆

Venus ( 3 / 5 / 8 )
I Heard A Rumour ( 2 / 5 / 8 )
Love In The First Degree ( 2 / 6 / 8 )
I Can't Help It ( 2 / 5 / 8 )

Release Date: Feb 14, 2013

Purchase in app for $3.99.

... must have been one hell of a package deal Konami got for these 70s and 80s hits.

Zeth

Any shmuppers playing Sela The Space Pirate? Looks OK [edit: TA impressions are bad] The Lego shmup looks terrible, however.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys I need some advice. I've been seriously thinking about buying a tablet recently. Because I've been using an iPhone 4 for the last 2 years (work phone) I'm somewhat invested in the iOS ecosystem and I'm leaning towards an iPad.

Now, because of my needs (mostly just play some games and watch videos) I'm having a tough time justifying a 500$ 4th gen purchase so the Mini seems more reasonable.

For what I can see the two big drawbacks for the Mini compared to 4th gen is the lack or Retina and the older CPU.

For the retina well...sure it would be nice to have it but I think I can live without it. From what I've seen with my limited hands on time of a demo unit the screen still looked good and I don't really want to wait until next fall for the retina mini.

The CPU however is a bigger concern. I know it's 2 generation behind the latest full size ipad but really how "bad" is it? Does it really make a huge difference? Are there games out right now that already show problems with the slower cpu?

Kodiak33

Neo Member
Since all EA Games are $0.99 right now, is C&C RA worth the dollar? I was a HUGE fan of the PC version back in the day. Will I be disappointed?

Last night I modded my iCade. Bought a set of buttons for it as the clicking was driving me nuts. Wow what a difference, now I may need to get rid of the joystick as well. I really wish they had just charged a bit more for it with some better hardware. Thankfully it was easy to do, even with the two torx security screws.

The ipad mini / ipad 2 / 4S and 5G touch all use the same kind of processor so that's over half the devices out there still running it, you should be fine for another year if you go with that.

Some games may scale back compared to a 4g ipad and iphone 5, both of those models are only a few months old so not many games use that power.

But I would say after 2 years of being used to a retina mobile screen it might be a bit uneasy going back to a low res device, I have not looked at a mini myself but my 3g touch with retina is lovely to browse the internet on and watch HD videos.

Mini is real good value for an apple tablet right now, i'd say it would be worth it for a year.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Since all EA Games are $0.99 right now, is C&C RA worth the dollar? I was a HUGE fan of the PC version back in the day. Will I be disappointed?

While we're on the subject, can anyone comment on Sim City Deluxe and The Sims 3 on iOS?

Both seem like they'd be great to have on my phone, but I can only imagine there's some catch.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/simcity-deluxe/id380017992?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-sims-3/id317904170?mt=8

EDIT - Read some Sims 3 user review and it sounds terrible. No families, no customizing houses, etc etc and EA has long abandoned it.

Goli

I want to try RR3 despite being an obvious money grab (money grabs can be fun, sometimes). But the performance worries me. I hope it comes to OSX for dat 60 FPS.

The ipad mini / ipad 2 / 4S and 5G touch all use the same kind of processor so that's over half the devices out there still running it, you should be fine for another year if you go with that.

Some games may scale back compared to a 4g ipad and iphone 5, both of those models are only a few months old so not many games use that power.

But I would say after 2 years of being used to a retina mobile screen it might be a bit uneasy going back to a low res device, I have not looked at a mini myself but my 3g touch with retina is lovely to browse the internet on and watch HD videos.

Mini is real good value for an apple tablet right now, i'd say it would be worth it for a year.

There are already games that push those devices to their limits though. I forget, isn't Theatrhythm already barely supported on the 4S? I know on some of the platforms it runs on it turns off a lot of onscreen graphics just to maintain a playable framerate.

And after having used my iPad 3rd gen there's simply no way I can go back to the non-retina screen. It's a night and day difference, especially when you spend as much time reading as I do.

I want to try RR3 despite being an obvious money grab (money grabs can be fun, sometimes). But the performance worries me. I hope it comes to OSX for dat 60 FPS.

Ya, after reading the impressions I am debating if it is even worth it on my 4S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom