• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread February 2013: Where some have halitosis so packs of gum matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Sounds interesting. Any word on a patch for the reporter/news agency bug? Sitting at 145/150 jobs and 191/191 land and it killed me to have wasted two land and not got the building.

No - I wasn't aware of the bug so I didn't ask. I assume thing week's rapid content update will also be fixing game issues.

PittaGAF

Apparently, out of nowhere a bit like Bastion, Capsized (a game I had personally wishlisted on Steam since forever) just hit the AppStore (iPad only).

I do not know ANYTHING about port or how is the game but....

http://appshopper.com/games/capsized

Video from XLBA version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zXKZD_DN1qM#!

According to TA thread, there are IAPs....developing....

mzl.tpmkzeka.1024x1024-65.jpg

SmokyDave

I need someone to break into my house and delete Simpsons: Tapped Out from my devices. Never before have I put so much time into something so utterly pointless.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I'm so done with Dungelot now. Finally died on level 151, and my score didn't even upload to GC. Why would I ever want to touch this again?

SteveWD40

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Their idea to not build Shiny Towers is pretty interesting. Save the 6 UT and build Solar Nexus's instead. They'll take up more land, but you can take all your UT savings and spend it on the 40 UT land expansions instead of coin expansions. Pretty clever. I haven't done the math yet but I bet it might be more efficient... I have 30 Shiny towers, for a total UT cost of 180! That could have bought me 45 land.

The issue I have with this is that by building the bigger residences you're restricting how many new jobs you can make. I frequently found myself with not enough money to expand and no land so I was stuck not being able to make any new clones. I tend to check in once or twice a day so I'd rather let the money build up and then have a short spree of adding new buildings by creating new clones, then when I run out of land I'd have the option of filling in the gaps until I end up with more money again. If you've built 30 Shiny Towers you could have got yourself 45 land by building Solar Nexuses, but you'd have used an additional 60 land doing so so you'd have less going on in your town.

I don't know. Maybe it is better but at this point I want to get as many people into my town while still allowing myself the ability to create jobs that have land requirements.

The issue I have with this is that by building the bigger residences you're restricting how many new jobs you can make. I frequently found myself with not enough money to expand and no land so I was stuck not being able to make any new clones. I tend to check in once or twice a day so I'd rather let the money build up and then have a short spree of adding new buildings by creating new clones, then when I run out of land I'd have the option of filling in the gaps until I end up with more money again. If you've built 30 Shiny Towers you could have got yourself 45 land by building Solar Nexuses, but you'd have used an additional 60 land doing so so you'd have less going on in your town.

I don't know. Maybe it is better but at this point I want to get as many people into my town while still allowing myself the ability to create jobs that have land requirements.

The point is, the money you spend on shiny towers could have been spent on the extra land you need to place solar nexuses and it doesn't work out much better. It's still better though.

PittaGAF

IAP in Capsized make me a sad panda. Looks really interesting, alas, might pick it up on pc instead.

Will wait for TA impressions but that looks gooooood.

Apparently the first impressions are damn good, and IAPS are totally unnecessary (doing survival mode gives you a TON of currency).
Check the TA thread for more infos...I still have Clash of Heroes to complete (and Lost Cities is totally ruling all my time now) so I won't buy now but I'll keep an eye on it.
I love when things like this come out of nowhere.

MasLegio

Banned
this is strange

shadow warrior just went free from costing a hell of a lot of money

yet you do not get the full game but have to buy it ingame

what the fuck is the publisher/developer doing?

to sell an app that costs 20 usd and then have the purchaser to buy the full game inside the app again?!!!
that is a pure scam

http://appshopper.com/games/shadow-warrior

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They probably changed the price twice, from free, to paid, to free, just to show up on appshopper as a discount. I'm pretty sure I got it for free when it first came out (and hated the controls so of course didn't unlock the full game and just deleted it). Shame too, the rest of the port seemed decent once you disabled the crappy filters and enabled voxels etc.

It's pretty weird that from selling obvious Doom rip offs that only used edited graphics etc he moved on to actual official games though. Either he made enough money to license that or he got hired, either way I don't find this to be a good thing.

MasLegio

Banned
Apparently, out of nowhere a bit like Bastion, Capsized (a game I had personally wishlisted on Steam since forever) just hit the AppStore (iPad only).

I do not know ANYTHING about port or how is the game but....

http://appshopper.com/games/capsized

Video from XLBA version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zXKZD_DN1qM#!

According to TA thread, there are IAPs....developing....

mzl.tpmkzeka.1024x1024-65.jpg

IAPs?

me add to wishlist on appshopper and will not "buy" until app is free

Pachimari

this is strange

to sell an app that costs 20 usd and then have the purchaser to buy the full game inside the app again?!!!
that is a pure scam

I'm pretty sure it have always been Free to download. But they might have bumped the price shortly before making it Free? Which would be terrible.

heringer

this is strange

that is a pure scam

It was always free, but some devs raise the price and then drop it right after so that apps that track price drops will list the game. Yes, it's a shitty thing to do.

Real Racing 3 is out in NZ and Canada, btw.

Fun game so far, lot's of timers but they are small and can be skipped until you really need to do them, like save repairs for when you are at work or something.

ToxicAdam

Most of these games have bearable cooldowns early on because they want to get their hooks into you. I'll be curious to see how they are after 10 hours of play.

Not that I care, because I am always juggling 3-4 games and don't really want to spend more than 20-30 minutes on any one in a given day.

must be midnight for canada then, going by the TA thread.

Been playing it for a bit and let me tell you, the waiting bars, you will be waiting.

Even if you do not crash and wreck your car you still have to do a service once your oil and engine wear kicks in, and it's a good 6 hours wait for a full service only 1 hour into the gameplay. This is per car so if you buy another you are ok, however each league only has a pool of 4 cars.

Damnit I got excited and then it told me I had to be in New Zealand.

If you make a new itunes account you can set it to NZ without any credit, download it then change back to your main to install. However IAP will not work until you get the game on your main account on the 27th

Real Racing 3 Backlash incoming?

I guess we'll see soon enough. I wasn't planning on buying this but since it's F2P I'll give it a shot. I already have other great racers that I'm into so I'm fine if I'm disappointed. That said, I think it will be really interesting to see how many other high profile games go F2P.

Rumor was that Infinity Blade Dungeons was going to be F2P. I'd imagine EA might try something like this with a Tiger Woods PGA Tour (hopefully they're working on a new one...I need an updated golf game!) or a FIFA.

...maybe someone can convince Ubisoft to port Lumines ES to iPad in F2P format...if that's what it takes I'm there.

Zeth

I'll give it a shot just because it's F2P, but I don't know if I'll really get into it if there's no easy way to remove the inconveniences permanently.

GWX

I made an australian account yesterday with my last spare e-mail, and it's still not up in the australian App Store. Damn, if only I had set up a new zealander account :(

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I made an australian account yesterday with my last spare e-mail, and it's still not up in the australian App Store. Damn, if only I had set up a new zealander account :(
If you use Gmail or Outlook.com emails just make an email alias and use that for a NZ Apple ID. :)

Mudo

So, Beastie Bay...I bought it last night and I am enjoying it so far and was about to drop the 4.99 to support Kairosoft when I noticed that while going through the tutorial pages, several of them went on longer than than the first text box and abruptly stopped mid-sentence. Is that a bug that will be fixed? Am I missing something lol? I tried scrolling down but that does nothing and I don't see a "next" button or something similar.

Also been playing some other things recently:

Life is Magic : I was really hyped to play this but it's been a big letdown so far. The concept of a high fantasy RPG set in Google Mapworld is great, but there seem to be a lot of missing features. I don't understand what the point of Influence is yet. I also live in Podunk TN so I have to teleport away to get to shops, costing tokens that, so far, I have gotten from completing some quests but I think that's it (might be able to buy them with gold, I forgot to check). There is a groundwork for a good game here but it's not there yet.

Time Surfer : Tiny Wings in space? NOPE! It's completely average and nowhere near deserving mention in the same sentence as Tiny Wings. The game isn't bad but something about it is lacking the hook to keep me playing. It seems that the randomness of obstacles ends up creating nearly impossible to pass areas, and the rewind feature while cool hasn't been a huge help. Oh well, it was cheap.

Pixel People: This game is crack. I don't generally like/play these build and wait type games but I've been obsessively playing for a few days now. The next land expansion is around 3.9 million so I have been saving up for over a day for that. Things have definitely started to slow down but I'm only at 62 genes spliced out of 150 so I have a long way to go. I did pay the 99 cents to double production. I figured with the amount of time I have put in to the game already, it was deserving of getting some of my cash. Any ideas on Utopium? I have the mine that I get 1 or 2 out of a day, and once in a while my forest produces one but that's it. Saving 40 for the cheat land expansion seems like it will take a week at this rate if I want to take that route?

Dungelot: I played before the patch and liked it a lot. I hear the patch pretty much destroyed the game so I'm not touching it for now.

Blockheads: 2-D Minecraft. I played this one for a few days non-stop. It's a TON of fun and the controls are really easy to use. My one gripe and the reason I refuse to keep playing is that when you build a new Portal, you can NOT use it to warp between portals. This makes now sense to me AT ALL, especially given the size of the world. I spent 4.99 on time crystals after about 3 days of playing, to support the dev, and almost with i could now take it back. The game has been updated and no mention of warping between portals....sad times.

SteveWD40

Anyone play Modern Combat 4? I am curious as it's one of the biggest threads on TA forums so it can't be that bad. Looks like they added a ton (bot support? weapon mods) and I am actually tempted to grab it.

Anyone play Modern Combat 4? I am curious as it's one of the biggest threads on TA forums so it can't be that bad. Looks like they added a ton (bot support? weapon mods) and I am actually tempted to grab it.
If you can handle touch controls, go for it. Crazy levels of customization that rivals and surpass most console shooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom