• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread February 2013: Where some have halitosis so packs of gum matters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem with the "Wait or Pay" games as long as they grab my loyalty BEFORE they want me to realistically pay for something.

If I've played a game for a few days and I love it, then I will gladly pay upwards of $5 (In Jurrassic Park Builder I think I've paid like $10) to make the processes quicker/more enjoyable.

But to have people pay to speed things up on day 1 to even play the game is not cool.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Every iOS game should have this.
So that they can stealth update all the changes to the micro-transactions to the worse without you being able to avoid it yeah. I mean, in this case it was positive, but I'd bet that if their revenue is not satisfactory they'll also tweak it to being worse at will..

Goli

So that they can stealth update all the changes to the micro-transactions to the worse without you being able to avoid it yeah. I mean, in this case it was positive, but I'd bet that if their revenue is not satisfactory they'll also tweak it to being worse at will..

Well, I didn't really think of that, but devs could include something like a prompt asking you whether you want to update or something at start-up. I just hate having to redownload everything.

I imagine this way they can tweak it per-person as well. If someone's just mindlessly spending without a care, they can make everything a little more expensive so that person spends even more. If you're not buying anything, stuff gets a little cheaper to tempt you.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Has SlotZ Racer 2 always been free? I found it while browsing the TA app. I LOVE iOS racing games and hadn't played this one yet. It's relatively fun with a pretty cool track editor.

Still bitter about RR3... :(

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I just hate having to redownload everything.
You don't redownload everything as it is currently, unless you update via iTunes.

I imagine this way they can tweak it per-person as well. If someone's just mindlessly spending without a care, they can make everything a little more expensive so that person spends even more. If you're not buying anything, stuff gets a little cheaper to tempt you.
The backlash to such a discovery would be sweet to see though.

Repair time has returned but it's much shorter, like 15 seconds to fix your bumper which is kind of pointless timing it that short, but whatever.

ToxicAdam

Every iOS game should have this.

It's not always great. I was playing D.O.T. for awhile and they would completely rejigger the game (damage values, character stats) without notice and also change IAPs on the fly.

Really shitty thing to do, but it's a Mobage game so you just kind of expect it.

kodt

Banned
Just got the free Infinity Blade and it's total garbage. Why was this hyped up to be the best iOS game again?

It was the best iOS game 3 years ago.

Also the second one is better.

3 years ago an Unreal Engine game looking that good on an iPhone seemed insane.

I really enjoyed Infinity Blade's gameplay, and sort of became obsessed with being able to parry everything in the game (I never block and only dodge things that can't be parried). For people that want to test their technical skills, it's perfect.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So it was all about the graphics then? Because the gameplay is just terrible.

I wouldn't call the gameplay "terrible", it's not broken in any way, but Infinity Blade does feel like a glorified tech demo. It's nice to look at but it takes more than just impressive graphics alone to hold my attention. I think the gameplay is far too simplistic, repetitive and unengaging for it to deserve all of it's acclaim and Best of iOS titles but that's just me. There are many games on the iOS platform much more deserving of those titles.

Just got the free Infinity Blade and it's total garbage. Why was this hyped up to be the best iOS game again?

So it was all about the graphics then? Because the gameplay is just terrible.

It was a huge deal a few years ago. Plus it takes a while to get to where the enemies are much quicker. I had a blast with it way back in the day, but yeah it gets old. The 2nd one is much more diverse in terms of attacking styles and enemy patterns. Just a bit deeper overall. But in terms of gameplay I loved the parry system, but to each his own I suppose.

kodt

Banned
Ok, check. For some reason I remembered it being THE iOS game.

Well for one, most people were used to very simple puzzle/mobile games. This game really showed that console quality graphics were possible on mobile devices, so it blew people away. I think they overlooked the game-play somewhat, but it was designed for touch devices instead of a console game with virtual controls. I think the simplicity was sort of par for the course then.

mrkgoo

As hollow as infinity blade is, I still spent probably 10-20 hours on it and had a blast.

I don't really like RPGs and I thought it was because if grinding amongst other things, thus game is PURE grinding. That's all it is. In that vein, it's kind of like an RPG with no exploration or story. It helped me learn more about what it has I do and don't like in gaming.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Need more friends playing RR3, only have two! Wario and "Ryan L.", unsure of GC nickname due to Facebook usage.

Add me on GC people (Tunesmith). :)

And yea, timers have been reduced, I noticed that the game downloaded something on bootup today, there was a 'downloading....' bar during the Firemonkey logo for a brief moment.

joesmokey

Bought and finished The Room on iPad. Loved the atmosphere and the texture work was mostly stunning. Puzzles weren't too bad
(the first one that required the gyro sensor was ridiculous)
. Unfortunately too short, all the build-up in the story and things were sort of just over. Can't expect too much from a sub $5 game though :).

Makes me tempted to pickup Myst/Riven on iPad and do another play through.

TechSamurai

Neo Member
Bought and finished The Room on iPad. Loved the atmosphere and the texture work was mostly stunning. Puzzles weren't too bad
(the first one that required the gyro sensor was ridiculous)
. Unfortunately too short, all the build-up in the story and things were sort of just over. Can't expect too much from a sub $5 game though :).

Makes me tempted to pickup Myst/Riven on iPad and do another play through.

Completely agree. I was never a fan of Myst or Riven, but this has made me want to give them a go on the iPad.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Tunesmith stop beating my RR3 times

p.s. assists? and are you upgrading your cars?
No assists and manual acceleration/braking (control option 2). Had auto acceleration on at first but the game really comes alive when you're driving yourself, I recommend it to anyone that happen to run with the acceleration on auto to turn it off.

I've got a semi kitted Ford Focus as main car. It's really fast with engine upgrades and with no traction control it's drifting around corners like mad. Also only takes 15mins tops to fully repair from a total disaster crash session - which seems fine to me, penalty for driving like shit and using other cars as break pads in corners. :p

The problem with limited amount of friends to drive against I've noticed is that once you've beaten them, you get matched against randoms, some with obviously IAPd out the ass cars in your class!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Yeah, the AI in the game is terrible. I feel like I have no chance unless I upgrade. But yeah, doing same controls too, playing it otherwise just feels wrong and terrible

Wait, so that's what Riven/Myst are like? I've bought at least Myst on GOG, maybe I should actually play it.
No, they're pretty different, especially Riven. I could draw a line between certain aesthetic aspects but the gameplay experiences are extremely different. This isn't a perfect analogy but Myst:The Room::Kings Quest:7th Guest. Context and story are critical elements in the first category whereas they are entirely unimportant in the latter; Myst is a (somewhat) different approach to adventure games while The Room is a (again, somewhat) different approach to puzzle games.

PFD

Are there any other first person grid-based dungeon crawlers on iOS besides The Quest and Undercroft?

Dungeon Masters came out last month:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dungeon-masters/id571308538?mt=8

mzl.pgrptkqd.1024x1024-65.jpg

No assists and manual acceleration/braking (control option 2). Had auto acceleration on at first but the game really comes alive when you're driving yourself, I recommend it to anyone that happen to run with the acceleration on auto to turn it off.

I've got a semi kitted Ford Focus as main car. It's really fast with engine upgrades and with no traction control it's drifting around corners like mad. Also only takes 15mins tops to fully repair from a total disaster crash session - which seems fine to me, penalty for driving like shit and using other cars as break pads in corners. :p

The problem with limited amount of friends to drive against I've noticed is that once you've beaten them, you get matched against randoms, some with obviously IAPd out the ass cars in your class!

Interesting, I've been slowly turning different assists off. The brake assist is a bit too generous lol. Turning stuff off makes me crash more, but win more too lol.

Anyone wanna play add me, chickendig

hmmm... is it just me, or turning off grip control makes it super easy to spin out when slightly nudged?

They really should have some sort of bonus if you play with assists off. Is there any incentive?

Flunkie

Banned
So I finally made a NZ account. Basically, is this the same game, or are all of my stats tied to this NZ version and I have to switch to the US version when it actually comes out? Either way, it's going to take forever to download. My fucking iPad doesn't like to download anything without a fuss anymore. Half the time my downloads are stuck in "Waiting..." limbo.

bonesquad

Man, I was just incredibly disappointed by Joe Danger... didn't like it at all.

Loving Hundreds, though.

Funny, I had the exact opposite opinion of those two games:)

And The Room is quite cool. I'd like the game to be longer, but since most games of this genre last less than one hour, I won't complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom